• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Boards General/Q&A Thread

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I could make it easier to read but I'm too lazy.

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Epic 2000th post.

Munzy: "The expert in anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes.
That's what a poster says in my AP Calc room. Whenever I feel like I don't belong there, I take a look at it and go "I can do this." So don't worry about not understanding some stuff (I still don't get some things). Also, drop by on the bi-weeklies when you can. It's all angries (serious friendlies) so you'll get a lot out of it.

Also: lol Uair = roflcopter.

Munzy

Smash Cadet
I woud love to go to them but i dont even know how to look them up on the site, the calendar thing is so confusing. And thanks guys, you make me feel a whole lot better about all of this

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Oh don't worry about the calender, that's just for offline tourneys and not even all of them... it can be very confusing. Here's a link to the bi-weeklies thread, it's just for the Ike boards:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=277329

Everything you need to know about it is on the first page, so give it a read through and if you have any questions let me know either in the thread or with a PM, and then feel free to sign up. The next bi-weekly will be on Sunday the 13th of this month.

:248:

Heartstring

Smash Legend
Epic 2000th post.

Munzy: "The expert in anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes.
That's what a poster says in my AP Calc room. Whenever I feel like I don't belong there, I take a look at it and go "I can do this." So don't worry about not understanding some stuff (I still don't get some things). Also, drop by on the bi-weeklies when you can. It's all angries (serious friendlies) so you'll get a lot out of it.

Also: lol Uair = roflcopter.
great quote
my own favourite is 'i find that the harder i try, the luckier i get'

as for understanding terminology, you really dont need to worry, preoviding we jsut get what youre on about, some people are visual learners, some are audio, some are informal, most people are visual learners which means that seeing a video or a demonstratino of something is what you learn the best from, so if thats you make sure to use that as much as possible
whenver im trying to learn new strings in tekken, i much prefer to watch a video showing it and the timnig of the button rather than looknig at the inputs solely (really, have you ever seen the terminology for tekken? evil stuff)
also, ike can no reason for his traction, but on the other hand its almost perfect for an effective dash-shield just to slide into jab range on an opponent

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
That's some great writing, San. Mind clarifying this thing more for me?

"3. Up-close combat + SDI/More on traction
Ike is capable of winning close quarters combat on just about every character bar MK and grab-centric characters (which are more punish-based). Against characters with jab like snake, sonic, etc, simple DI allows us to slide away and punish with our own farther-reaching jab."

MK, I'm guessing you are talking about his shuttle loop right? 'cause his jab is definitely not even close to Ike's jab. Also, can jab 3 beat tornado? I never really tried this and don't think we'll get enough time to pull it out but since you did mention about jab2 an underused attack, I would like to know you're opinion on jab3 as well.

Berserker Swordsman

Smash Lord
NNID
KiteKIrby
I think he meant all close-range moves, not just jab.

I've had jab3 cancel tornado, and sometimes nado still wins. It's probably better to just shield or if you've got the room, shorthop Fair/Nair/Bair.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Mostly the priority on MK's aerials we can really only punish out of shield (or interrupt with something like bair or jab2). MK also has good grab range, and tornado can punish whiffs. If MK starts tornado in a neutral position, that's pretty much a free bair, though. Pretty much the only time I get hit with tornado is because I was going to try to jab his approach. Jab2 can go through some of MK's short hop aerial approaches, too. Up close vs MK is more bait and punish or shield punish.

One of my worst habits vs MK is jumping back and nair/fair from a neutral position up close, and I need to fix that. Even tornado punishes Ike jumping back like that. Simply dashing away, jab(watch out for nado), or bair are much better options. Bait and punish is more synonymous with camping in a way, but my playstyle I don't like to camp that much.

AN(M)ist

Smash Ace
NNID
abidmozaffar
3DS FC
1134-9541-1303
thanks.

yeah, MK is really a big pain for me. I'm still having trouble getting his attack traits in check; I always overlook some of his options and get punished almost all the time.

Seriously, is there anything Ike can do if MK resorts to loop continuously with his shuttleloop > glide-attack-autocancel-on-gournd > shuttleloop again shenanigan?

P.S. >>> Fact: Ike's sideB or Dsmash CANNOT be punished by C.Falcon's infamous chocolaty fudge coated mega super punch. I remember someone saying if CF powershields Ike's sideB or dsmash and is really quick with his punch, Ike will get hit by it; but that is not the case. Ike will always get time to jab CF out of it or shield/spotdodge the punch.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Shuttleloop: If you shield it

Bair beats glide attack, but you need good timing. Since bair is transceded priority, the worst that can happen is that you both get hit, which is more in our favor.

You can also powershield to jab or regularshield->jab or grab a badly spaced glide attack. You can make a glide attack space badly if you end up right underneath them.

You can also try to make a quick dash underneath MK so you're certain even if he does glide attack, he'll fail to hit you.

Usmash works vs glide attacks started from farther away. Fair I don't think works unless I'm super unlucky getting hit all the time. MK can cancel so it's best to position yourself where missing usmash won't be too bad, like near the edge (if MK shields he gets pushed offstage) or usmash at the tip of the edge (if MK shields you slide off)

Our tilts clank with glide attack, but up close they're not reliable. I have clanked jab with glide attack but it seems really hard to do

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I'm not entirely sure if we can shield SDI with quarter circle of the control stick(pretty sure we can), but cstick is basically just smash input + A.

Out of a running dash into shield, shield DI should help us immensely. We will have both the slide, our weight helping us overcome our traction so we don't get hit as far back, + shield DI. This could mean easier grabs and easier jabs/bairs of tilts and smashes.

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
Our tilts clank with glide attack, but up close they're not reliable. I have clanked jab with glide attack but it seems really hard to do
I also like well timed F-smash against his Shuttle-Loop if the MK is father away. Of course up close or OoS, B-air is the best option.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
That works too. I try it if MK is gliding from offstage, but the startup is enough for them to just cancel it, lol.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Hey, that's not a wall of text! I made sure to put spaces and everything lol

Shield SDI is basically SDI while shielding. I think this is very important to Ike.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
important in the sense that we can probably shield grab more options now

I doubt it makes a difference against us... i dunno cause we don't nair longer ranged characters like DDD as it is, and fair is as long as a tether grab which already can shield grab us.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Ike's shield grab isn't very good. The grab height is pretty high, though. I'm thinking more along the lines of shielding aerials,tilts, and smashes where we were barely able to reach before.

We can just bair DDD. EVen with shield DI I doubt kirby or other above average grab characters can get an easy grab on fair. Tethers not sure. I wouldn't think they would want to try grabbing something like fair because you know what happens if they miss.

I can't tell for sure how things will go until people get good enough to shield (S)DI on reaction.

On a side note, olimar's grab is a lot worse than I thought... I tried shieldgrabbing jab1 only to get hit by jab2. I don't have 4 hands so I can't test more possibilities like jab canceling, but jeez lol. That explains a lot. I'm happy we can bair olimar at certain spots too (which means we can probably bair every non-crouching char at certain spots).

I want to get that perfect nair spacing->jab on olimar down.

Munzy

Smash Cadet
Im not understanding this...I thought directional influence was only in the air unless this shield DI is something ive been doing but not knowing. Can someone clarify for me please :)

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
It's a little confusing, cause as far as I can remember, it was originally called shield DI (which we call shield SDI nowadays. I think regular shield DI also exists)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRZeUndPaX4

Shield SDI is like the slight teleportation after getting hit while in shield. Apparently there's a slide afterwards, too. SDI in general only works during what I believe to be hitlag. This property also works for shields too. To test, go to Halberd, shield the lazer, and try to shield SDI.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
DI = holding a direction when you get hit, sending you in a trajectory influenced by the direction you're holding.
In other words, if you're going to get hit by an attack that sends up, hold left or right. If you're going to get hit by an attack that sends sideways, hold up. You want to go roughly to the corner of the screen all the time, so you avoid the death zone.

SDI--- read the description in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4b7C-zuYo Tap DI is the same thing as SDI but with the control stick instead of the C-stick.

Shield SDI is the same concept as SDI but with your shield up... I'm not too sure exactly how to do it, though.

Munzy

Smash Cadet
oh ive done that so many times lol and i crack up so hard every time it happens. I know what youre referring to see i just didnt know it had a name wow I suck hahaha -_________________-
SDI that is, DI is something ive known since the melee days
Thank you for the clarification guys

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
GR on Wario to? Most i can think of is probably a quick Bair, but i'm not even certain that it works.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Grab release on Wario to:
ftilt angled upwards
utilt
bair

For the lulz: running pivot grab infinite.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
so wait, trancendant means it can clanks right?
does this measn we can jab projectiles to get through?
i find the thought of jabbing spamus missiles to get through them unecessarily funny

also, tournament tommorow, hype everywhere

XLR8TION

Smash Ace
NNID
XLR8TION
3DS FC
4399-0465-6002
meh i need to stay on the boards more, idk any mus with ike except for sonic(i guess)....however i suprisingly do well vs TL using ike and i hardly know this mu :/

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Oh yeah, that reminds me. About TL, I think we can avoid getting hit by the dsmash in a bad angle at low percents by SDIing towards the stage during the first hit, then down during the second hit.

san.

NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes bored up to ~20 or so, but we can SDI towards the stage for the first hit, then SDI up so we can QD/aether back to the stage or SDI down so we hit the stage (more SDI needed the closer TL is to the edge. Away from the edge you only need to DI). Some TLs will still try to edge camp and do this.

Munzy

Smash Cadet
so i talked to roller yesterday and supposedly i thought i was pivot grabbing but i learned how to do boost pivot grabbing on my own with default controls. Exactly -_- i didnt know all of this stuff was special.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
its not special at all, we just have to emphasis this cause its all we can make special in a sense. Brawl is such a simple game.

Top Bottom