• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike Board Compilation Complete

metroid1117

Smash Master
Not to sound annoying (I've asked this already, but it was probably overlooked), but can you provide a download link for this, Rykoshet? I know there are programs to download videos from YouTube, but I'd like the original (and higher quality) file.

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
i feel like this compilation was rushed too much... considering its an "Ike Boards" compilation and should consist of most of the Ikes on the Ike boards instead of just getting the superpro Ikes... But the video is awesome I love San's introduction with the ROB on Jungle Japes!

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
For one, I never said that the players not featured were bad, just not entertaining.

For example: Arturito is OBVIOUSLY an amazing ike player, but he's not particularly fun to watch.

Palpi

Smash Hero
Exactly. I think we've had this conversation before. You don't need to be flashy to play good with ike.

But it sure does make the compilation video entertaining :)

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
In case either of those responses were towards me, I'm not complaining about anything anymore. I completely understand all choices made. I'm just saying that I suck at Brawl regardless. And I'm worse at Brawl+ and Melee (but I don't really care about those). I need to get better for real. I have a feeling that when I get a bit better, I'll have the capacity to be more flashy/fun to watch.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
In case either of those responses were towards me, I'm not complaining about anything anymore. I completely understand all choices made. I'm just saying that I suck at Brawl regardless. And I'm worse at Brawl+ and Melee (but I don't really care about those). I need to get better for real. I have a feeling that when I get a bit better, I'll have the capacity to be more flashy/fun to watch.
lol don't let this bring you down
relax and keep playingo_o
you don't have to be flashy to be good lol
if you watch most ike matches,flashy stuff doesn't happen all the time

nice video btw ryko
lol alot of ike dittos in there o_o
lawl i knew my replays weren't good
wish i hadn't deleted most of them

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
you don't have to be flashy to be good lol
Okay. Guys. I get this. But that's not what I'm saying.

Think of it as the square/rectangle rule.
You can be good without being flashy. But you can't be flashy without being good.

Yes, I may be a little hard on myself saying I'm bad at the game. But I have to realize that I'm nowhere close to the greater players. That's what I want to change. And hopefully, through that, I'll pick up some flashiness in my game as well. I'd love to make a combo video sometime, but before I can do that, I have to get better and then learn to be flashier-- and if I'm never flashy or fun to watch, there's no point in making a combo video.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I think I've hit a wall on "being flashy" not even vaguely sure If i'm one bit flashy, and improving my Ike
by e.g reaction time, controller, adaptation to the situation, match up knowledge etc.
so I'm not improving my Ike any time soon. I can't do stuff like jab-jab b-air like on the go, cause I've not practiced much doing those movements and I need to like think before I do it, not doing it instinctively.

I just realised in "Crimean Sonata" by Kirk I did the same thing as him at 2:44-2:50

Kimchi

Smash Ace
Fort Lee, NJ / Cornell University - Ithaca, NY
Yeah same with me. Once you get as good at Ike like kirk and Ryko you get flashy.
comboking said:
no you don't have to be good to be flashy
... You say one thing and then later, you say the complete opposite. I don't understand how your opinion is so fickle and how you lack confidence in your opinion.
@ Brett, you just got top 8 in that tourney along with Bored. That's a start. Don't ever think that you suck. You'll get no where with that mindset. You do have the right mindset in thinking that you have to get better though and that's a good thing. Flashiness really though is not needed in any game. To be honest, flashiness has cost me several games. For example, when I played Ryko offline, there was a time where he missed a Fsmash opportunity on me. I responded by trying to pivot grab him, and this cost me the match because he Ftilted me and I died. I suppose you do have a point in saying that without flashiness, a combo video can't be made. Once again though, making a combo video's not the most important, but improving your game is.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
I reckon you can do some flashiness at the first or a bit of the 2nd stock, but give up the flashiness at the final stock and get serious to win.
but at keep up with your opponent while being flashy (a bit)

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You guys minus a few posts are idiots. Everyone STFU and stop debating on this. Combo King, you are not good, you are no where near good, you are the epitome of the feces a pig exerts from his rear.

Combo videos//Montages//Gameplay Video are meant to have flashyness. Otherwise, no one would watch them. I'll be the first to admit that I could never finish watching Kirk's Crimean Sonata, not because it wasn't good, but it ran out of flashy substance after 4 minutes. A lot of montages people make suck, because they lack the appeal of anything special or flashy. Stuff they do has been done before, and makes it boring. Ryko is right in the fact he went for "entertainment" value, because that's how you appeal to the audience.

In regards to this, go watch a match of Rykoshet and tell me exactly how many "flashy" things you see. What is flashy to you? Is it making your character act smooth, quick, responsive, while nailing your opponent with this and that? If so, you ain't gonna see much of that in any match. Every Ike will have their moment where the sequence seems flashy or what not, but for the most part, we are simply reacting to our opponent's movements. A perfect example is of Ryko playing this Diddy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_GN3VWhEI_), you can see that for the most part, Ryko plays a defensive game, but has that one moment where he does the boost throw to F-smash. Bam, there is your combo video material. Furthermore, you can make a claim that Silven tries to be flashy, but in the end, he is just trying to predict his opponent's attack ahead of time (See his match vs Blue Terrorist), which can sometimes work in your favor and sometimes not.

Also, let me clarify what flashy should mean. Flashy is a fashion of play while not making yourself seem too predictable. Anyone can play aggressive, but for the most part, aggressiveness will get you no where in Brawl. Anyone can play Flashy, but if you don't know when to stop with the excessive activities, you are gonna get ****ed. Perfect example is when Kimchi stated that he went for a pivot grab after a missed F-Smash by Ryko. Furthermore, you can't even play "flashy" against every single character in the game. An approach of this and that in an Ike ditto will not work against a DDD.

Have you heard the statement "Defense wins championships?" or, "Your best offense is a good defense?". Look at the best players in Brawl and tell me how many of them are all about flashyness? M2K is never flashy, neither is Dojo, Melee1, Ally, etc. Flashyness can only get you so far before you are figured out. No matter how complex your offense is, no matter how great of a mindset you have with offense, it can always be brought down by better defense.

Some people have this stupid idea with Ike that you have to be flashy to succeed with him. That is bull****. In fact, I'm gonna go on and say that the more boring Ikes do better than the flashy ones. Of course you have to know when to be aggressive and when to sit back, but as stated earlier, "Defense wins championships".

Slaps

Smash Lord
NNID
iSlaps
You guys minus a few posts are idiots. Everyone STFU and stop debating on this. Combo King, you are not good, you are no where near good, you are the epitome of the feces a pig exerts from his rear.

Combo videos//Montages//Gameplay Video are meant to have flashyness. Otherwise, no one would watch them. I'll be the first to admit that I could never finish watching Kirk's Crimean Sonata, not because it wasn't good, but it ran out of flashy substance after 4 minutes. A lot of montages people make suck, because they lack the appeal of anything special or flashy. Stuff they do has been done before, and makes it boring. Ryko is right in the fact he went for "entertainment" value, because that's how you appeal to the audience.

In regards to this, go watch a match of Rykoshet and tell me exactly how many "flashy" things you see. What is flashy to you? Is it making your character act smooth, quick, responsive, while nailing your opponent with this and that? If so, you ain't gonna see much of that in any match. Every Ike will have their moment where the sequence seems flashy or what not, but for the most part, we are simply reacting to our opponent's movements. A perfect example is of Ryko playing this Diddy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq_GN3VWhEI_), you can see that for the most part, Ryko plays a defensive game, but has that one moment where he does the boost throw to F-smash. Bam, there is your combo video material. Furthermore, you can make a claim that Silven tries to be flashy, but in the end, he is just trying to predict his opponent's attack ahead of time (See his match vs Blue Terrorist), which can sometimes work in your favor and sometimes not.

Also, let me clarify what flashy should mean. Flashy is a fashion of play while not making yourself seem too predictable. Anyone can play aggressive, but for the most part, aggressiveness will get you no where in Brawl. Anyone can play Flashy, but if you don't know when to stop with the excessive activities, you are gonna get ****ed. Perfect example is when Kimchi stated that he went for a pivot grab after a missed F-Smash by Ryko. Furthermore, you can't even play "flashy" against every single character in the game. An approach of this and that in an Ike ditto will not work against a DDD.

Have you heard the statement "Defense wins championships?" or, "Your best offense is a good defense?". Look at the best players in Brawl and tell me how many of them are all about flashyness? M2K is never flashy, neither is Dojo, Melee1, Ally, etc. Flashyness can only get you so far before you are figured out. No matter how complex your offense is, no matter how great of a mindset you have with offense, it can always be brought down by better defense.

Some people have this stupid idea with Ike that you have to be flashy to succeed with him. That is bull****. In fact, I'm gonna go on and say that the more boring Ikes do better than the flashy ones. Of course you have to know when to be aggressive and when to sit back, but as stated earlier, "Defense wins championships".
TRUETHATBROTHAKNUCKLES!!!!!!!!!!

but yeah true about the defensive part =] <3 Bored

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Spammer is easily one of the most boring players to watch but lord knows he ***** like everyone.

In ike dittos I tend to take the opposite role that my opponent does. If they're flashy I'm way more reserved, and if they seem like theyre too hesitant to move, I'm all over the place.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
>_>

I never said I needed it in my regular gameplay, did I? I just said for a combo video...

Sorry for inadvertently starting this argument. I mean, it's great discussion material... but let's not be hostile about it...

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think "flashiness" comes naturally through your style of play than trying to accomplish something out of your way/ineffective or otherwise extremely risky. If I see an opponent air dodge at a time I could punish, obviously I'm going to try to punish it with the tools that I have and choosing which one works best. If you trap someone in your jab, just noticing how long it'll take before your opponent gets out or predict when your opponent will try to get you with an aerial and punish it OoS also works, etc. etc.

I find that moving around quickly where there are a lot of platforms, like battlefield and the 2nd section of castle siege for instance, might be able to help open up some slight opportunities to get attacks in, and then having the skill to be able to link up successive attacks. Against some characters (DDD/olimar) these options are greatly diminished but some opportunities are still there if played precisely.

Furthermore, you can't even play "flashy" against every single character in the game. An approach of this and that in an Ike ditto will not work against a DDD.
DDD on FD. Gogogo =)

Palpi

Smash Hero
M2k is pretty much as flashy as you can be with metaknight. He is agressive with no openings and gimps characters that really shouldn't be gimped.

DDD on Bridge of Eldin gogogo. :)

Rudementry

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys should come out with an improved version. With more people. I mean seriously you expect people to watch 9 minutes of nobody from Texas? (just kidding) But really, you should make like a 1.5, not a 2nd one, but somewhere in between. With more stuff. And that intro was ridiculously long.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I regret disappearing for 2 months and missing being involved with this. :urg:

Gabz

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, i liked it a lot. Sadly i didnt have time to save some footage or produce some, but the vid was pretty cool , good job.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
With the number of players "coming back" to ike (including myself), it seems another compilation will happen pretty soon. Can't wait.

Top Bottom