• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ike : A Detailed Matchup Guide; #33 - Ness

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
>_> Ike needs something...

also, when on a slanted stage, if TL has his back towards the edge DO NOT!!!! I REPEAT NOT!!! GET WITHIN DSMASH RANGE!! You will get thrown off the stage into Ike's dead zone. So remember to fair though ^^; cause that will keep you out of dsmash range.

Sliq

Smash Master
Ike is a better character than Ganon and has a slight advantage.

Guilhe

Smash Ace
Ike is a better character than Ganon and has a slight advantage.
But Ganondorf is so underestimated that you can shatter their pride with a 60% combo they didn’t even know it existed. I’ve seen some of your matches Sliq, your Ganondorf can crush unsuspecting opponents.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Ah, Ganondorf and Ike, two of the most underestimated characters in the game. Ike now has his brand-spankin' new grab-release combos, and Manondorf has the Murder Choke, Thunderstorm, and a constantly evolving metagame. Why, just these past few days our best players have discovered a guaranteed combo on heavy characters (it's everyone really, but the heavies are much easier to pull it off on) that go from 0-60 without any chance to interrupt it.

XACE-K

Smash Master
But Ganondorf is so underestimated that you can shatter their pride with a 60% combo they didn’t even know it existed. I’ve seen some of your matches Sliq, your Ganondorf can crush unsuspecting opponents.
O s*** really!?

*goes to Ganon boards*

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Character profile: Luigi is known for his powerful juggling and decent KO power. As his brother, he got fireballs as a projectile. But their limited effectiveness (they travel slowly and cause low damage) conclusively makes Luigi a close-quarters combatant.

How he will be playing: Although lightweight, Luigi is much faster than Ike. He will use his “short hopped fireballs to tornado” or his sliding Dsmash (which can poke under your shield) for approaching. If the tornado or Dsmash connects, they will throw you up where he can juggle you. Missed Aethers, Fsmashes, QDs, and other laggy moves can be punished severely with Fire punch. He may also use Fire punch out of a jab combo or in the air for early kills.

How you can fight back: Spacing is the key. With spacing you can prevent Luigi from countering your moves and prevent Fire punch KOs. So make sure you hit your attacks with the tip at all times. Remember that his fireballs are only diversion and look out for his tornado, if you shield it, the ending lag is enough for you to grab him or (depending on the distance he travelled) hitting an Ftilt. He can only perform his sliding Dsmash while he is walking, so watch out for that too. Also, his recovery can only travel horizontally or vertically and gimping during his recovery moves execution is easy.

Statistical analysis

Survivability: Much lighter than Ike, Luigi can be knocked off stage by 70% and KO’ed by 100% (from the center of Final Destination, using Ftilts). As mentioned before, his recovery moves leave him very vulnerable.

KO potential: Luigi moves have decent knockback overall, but his finishers are Fsmash (which can be angled), Nair and Fire punch. Their reach is very limited and requires Luigi to pressure and chase his opponent. Luigi doesn’t exceed at gimping Ike, as attempting to interrupt Aether can potentially get him killed.

Combo potential: Good. Can hack up to 60% if the Ike hasn’t spaced himself appropriately and kill if chained successfully with one of his finishers. Remember to air dodge and DI away from Luigi after been thrown into the air.

Range: He has good range for a close-quarters combatant, as his limbs stretch dramatically during his attacks. Not in league with Ike though.

Maneuverability: Luigi has a very good aerial and ground acceleration, which are crucial for spacing himself for juggling or applying one of his finishers.

Final analysis
**** (four stars), or slight easy matchup. Play smart and you have the advantage here.
Counterpick stages: Stages with roof prevent the use of Fire punch and you from be killed until at least 120%.

Ok, I propose we creating a measure of dificulty for the matchups so we can put Ike in the Brawl matchup chart. Here is my system suggestion:

* (one star): Hard matchup
** (two stars): Slightly hard matchup
*** (three stars): Even matchup
**** (four stars): Slight advantage
***** (five stars): Easy matchup
Also, I will work on a more detailed matchup against Luigi and edit this post.
For the next character ;)

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Might also need to wait, beause it's not guaranteed that Light will choose http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB-jT1TeDZc as the next character.

In any case, I really think Shiek should be #19 since some Zeldas maybe incorperate her into their game and will be used...and if not Shiek maybe Fox, he's the last Spacies we have yet to cover, and it similiar to the others (to an extent). But I'll say it again, I'm not the one who picks the character, whatever Light goes with, I'll play along. It is possible that Mr. L will be the next character since there has apparently been a spark...

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Light already said Luigi is the next character.

EDIT: Needs to be more detailed, but I can see how it can be Ike's advantage now.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Nah lets do sonic I just got done going trough 950+ pages finding this. http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141725&page=991
Dear lord, that's demoralizing!

http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=5684421&postcount=21

^There ya go. xD

EDIT: Lol @ Arturito's futile effort.
Alright Colaya, thanks. I suppose now the gloves are going to go off once Light opens up Mama Luigi for #19.

Uhm... as usual, I'm going to be the annoying person everybody has come to tolerate (or not), and suggest a picture for Luigi.

http://mkworld.planets.gamespy.com/mkds/mkdspics/luigi.jpg

"I take my hat off, to you good sirs, for discussing me before my brother Mario."

Timbers

check me out
Not like I want to revive this, but seriously the 5 or 6 pages of Lucario vs Ike, and the eventual resolve, was that walkoffs fairs can't gimp Lucario...and yet the summary includes that a walkoff fair at 110 will gimp Lucario?

Come on guys...

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Not like I want to revive this, but seriously the 5 or 6 pages of Lucario vs Ike, and the eventual resolve, was that walkoffs fairs can't gimp Lucario...and yet the summary includes that a walkoff fair at 110 will gimp Lucario?

Come on guys...
I have to laugh at this as well. On the other hand, at 110%, a fresh fair will kill Luc without a doubt. But that's all. Now change your **** guide, Light.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Oh C'mon, we just got out of this s***, and you aren't going to build a good name for yourself by insulting the OP Salty.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
I know I'm not, but if he's saying it'll gimp Luc, then it needs to be changed to just killing Luc. I'm nitpicky like that. Also wounds and salt and stuff like that.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
So is it safe to say that TL is done? lets move on get back online yagami.
Patience is a virtue. I am writing the analysis with as much speed as possible.

Tch, sorry about that, must have been late when I wrote that part. I'll change it to "flat out kill soon".

Now change your **** guide, Light.
Aren't we a nice person today? :ohwell:

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I curse for emphasis. It's a bad habit and I'll try to get rid of it as soon as possible. ;)

And if I were a nice person all the time, I wouldn't be on the internet. You should know that as well as anyone here.
As a counterpoint, I am a nice person 100% of the time.

A kill off stage is gimping.
I guess it very well could be, but I may as well just make it clearer.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
We don't know who you are IRL man! If you want to know how I looked at you when I started to notice you around here, was that you were some guy who like me was probably very misunderstood by different people.

Oh boy...I hope I am wording this right, but also... you seem to have had some points but couldn't really back them up (again like me). What else...uhm... well that's pretty much it, but I'm only telling you this because for the moment, we're just waiting for Light (no rush man, go at your pace), and we have no real topic to discuss...also yeah nobody knows who you are on the internet unless they know you in person.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
As a counterpoint, I am a nice person 100% of the time.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiighhhhhht.;)

We don't know who you are IRL man! If you want to know how I looked at you when I started to notice you around here, was that you were some guy who like me was probably very misunderstood by different people.

Oh boy...I hope I am wording this right, but also... you seem to have had some points but couldn't really back them up (again like me). What else...uhm... well that's pretty much it, but I'm only telling you this because for the moment, we're just waiting for Light (no rush man, go at your pace), and we have no real topic to discuss...also yeah nobody knows who you are on the internet unless they know you in person.
I wasn't talking about myself, I was making a generalization about the types of people who will frequent Smashboards. And you all know what that generalization is. Or at least you should.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
lol I'm mean to a ton of people and I never get stuff like this.
Probably because we all know that your kidding...*at least I hope I do know/think you're kidding.*

Edit: Also Salty now you're being ridiculous, I have no idea what you're even talking about now.

Timbers

check me out
Tch, sorry about that, must have been late when I wrote that part. I'll change it to "flat out kill soon".
Might want to include that as Ike's fair will be used rather heavily in this match that it will rarely be fresh, for the people out there that can't figure it out themselves.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^That's kinda obvious with all our matches. When spacing is key, we know F-air is going to be used up.

I just read the first bunch of pages of this guide... and looking back then makes me noticed how much of a ****** I was... :laugh:

XACE-K

Smash Master
Write up shall be uploaded by tomorrow. I found this killer Luigi picture, too! Good night, then.
Yay, we're paying attemtion to Weegee.

Might want to include that as Ike's fair will be used rather heavily in this match that it will rarely be fresh, for the people out there that can't figure it out themselves.
O rly?

^That's kinda obvious with all our matches. When spacing is key, we know F-air is going to be used up.

I just read the first bunch of pages of this guide... and looking back then makes me noticed how much of a ****** I was... :laugh:
Everybody used to be dumb.

Top Bottom