• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IGN playing Smash Bros Brawl Again

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, just dropping in to make a suggestion.

I don't care for Brawl that much, but I think any Smash publicity is good. So why don't some of the top Brawl players on the forum here message IGN and see if they want any of you to help them with maybe, some somewhat more exhilarating matches? I've seen a few Brawl matches that have some decent commentary.

What I'm saying is that if IGN is interested in Smash, why not have some of the top players do some good matches for their viewers to watch? A simple email could probably go a long way.
That's a ****ing awesome idea. Now a top brawl player just needs to agree and follow through.

Rich-IGN

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,

Love the feedback, and it's cool to see you guys discussing both sides of the issue. Some of you guys have it right - we're just playing after hours and during launch to blow off steam. We're not trying to be competitive and none of us would describe our skill level as such.

But you're right - I would love to get that perspective going for a variety of reasons.

So I guess I'm looking for a couple things. One would be folks interested in helping us, and second is more specific - good writers who would be interested in helping.

All I have right now are ideas, but if you're interested, serious and would like to help IGN create some very, very prominent coverage of Smash, let me know. At the moment this would be something you'd volunteer for, but who knows what the future could bring.

Interested? Hit me up at Nintendo@IGN.com.

I hate doing this as I feel like it's spam, but some of my guys told me you were discussing helping us, so I thought I'd reach out. Love the community here. Love all passionate fans of Nintendo products. You guys scare me with your knowledge and skills. =)

Best,
RICH || EXECUTIVE EDITOR || IGN NINTENDO OVERLORD

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh c'mon guys, we were all that way at one point lol.

It was kinda fun to see a different perspective, a little goofy to see, but it took me back when I played before I got competitive. Even now, I'll enjoy and occasional FFA since it's one of the easiest ways to encourage interest in newer players w/o scaring them off from more hardcore play.

Although some of the comments were occasionally lulzy, you got to remember... that's how a majority of smash players perceive this game, we're in the minority (although I wouldn't trade current gameplay for that kinda anytime soon, I love smash at the depth it gets when played in a competitive build).

It was really cool to see that there is still interest in the game among more casual players considering how relatively "old" this game is.

btw, how do these games come around? Do you guys play in a specific studio offline, or do you guys try wifi? (although laggy as it is lol)

SupaSairentoZ7℠

Smash Hero
Oh c'mon guys, we were all that way at one point lol.

It was kinda fun to see a different perspective, a little goofy to see, but it took me back when I played before I got competitive. Even now, I'll enjoy and occasional FFA since it's one of the easiest ways to encourage interest in newer players w/o scaring them off from more hardcore play.

Although some of the comments were occasionally lulzy, you got to remember... that's how a majority of smash players perceive this game, we're in the minority (although I wouldn't trade current gameplay for that kinda anytime soon, I love smash at the depth it gets when played in a competitive build).

It was really cool to see that there is still interest in the game among more casual players considering how relatively "old" this game is.

btw, how do these games come around? Do you guys play in a specific studio offline, or do you guys try wifi? (although laggy as it is lol)
Couldn't agree more to this. The comments were real bad. With all the competitve videos being put out anything else gets look at differently if it is FFA and or if it's bad players. To me it wasn't even bad to watch. Had its funny moments and it brings back the good times when I had 3 others and we all played to enjoy ourselves.

:phone:

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Hey guys,

Love the feedback, and it's cool to see you guys discussing both sides of the issue. Some of you guys have it right - we're just playing after hours and during launch to blow off steam. We're not trying to be competitive and none of us would describe our skill level as such.

But you're right - I would love to get that perspective going for a variety of reasons.

So I guess I'm looking for a couple things. One would be folks interested in helping us, and second is more specific - good writers who would be interested in helping.

All I have right now are ideas, but if you're interested, serious and would like to help IGN create some very, very prominent coverage of Smash, let me know. At the moment this would be something you'd volunteer for, but who knows what the future could bring.

I hate doing this as I feel like it's spam, but some of my guys told me you were discussing helping us, so I thought I'd reach out. Love the community here. Love all passionate fans of Nintendo products. You guys scare me with your knowledge and skills. =)

Best,
Step 1 complete, guys. Let's hop on this shall we? This opportunity is golden. SWF featured by IGN would definitely be a chance from grace.

It might even get Brawl back into MLG after a long chain reaction. ...Or maybe just Melee. <3

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
IGN totally needs to play Brawl- or PM or something.

Brawl- is a pretty cool game for casuals.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys,

Best,
Thank you for the reply :D looks like my idea came to fruition. As far as writing is concerned, what exactly are you referring to? Most commentary on matches is done live so I'm confused by your comment.

And as far as helping you, as in getting some matches recorded (for melee from me anyway), I would absolutely be down to help you, as would, I'm sure, most of the people with the ability to record. So if you are interested in Melee commentary and/or matches, please let me know.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Step 1 complete, guys. Let's hop on this shall we? This opportunity is golden. SWF featured by IGN would definitely be a chance from grace.

It might even get Brawl back into MLG after a long chain reaction. ...Or maybe just Melee. <3
My equation is more like:

Smashboards(MLG) + IGN(people brought to smashboards from their coverage) = Smash back into MLG! (hopefully melee)

Thinkin' big :awesome:
Sounds familiar. o_o

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Hey guys,

Best,
I'd be very interested in assisting in both ways (improving at Smash and writing) and have a bit of history with gaming journalism. Email shall be sent!

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
I'd be very interested in assisting in both ways (improving at Smash and writing) and have a bit of history with gaming journalism. Email shall be sent!
I agree. I would be glad to volunteer for the Smash and/or the writing. But we also need to decide who all should contact him. Any suggestions on that matter?

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I agree. I would be glad to volunteer for the Smash and/or the writing. But we also need to decide who all should contact him. Any suggestions on that matter?
I think numerous people have already emailed him after his reply to this thread. Now it's just a matter of him deciding what he needs/wants to do I'm sure. He'll get back to us v_v

FireBall Stars

Smash Ace
Smash publicity is indeed good.

It would surely be great if IGN made publicity of both the casual and the competitive aspect of the game, by doing casual plays like that and somehow talking about the pro community and gameplay.

It would sure help to take away the fanbase's prejudice that smash bros. is not supposed to be competitive or meant to be played in any way and rescue the series original concept of pleasing all kinds of players.

If melee and brawl competitive players can't get along, at least help the casual and competitive players to be more tolerant to each other.

I would surely try to help if english were my native language.

Anthon1996

Smash Ace
NNID
AnUglyBarnacle
3DS FC
5301-0385-3871
Any smash publicity is good v_v

My equation is more like:

Smashboards(MLG) + IGN(people brought to smashboards from their coverage) = Smash back into MLG! (hopefully melee)

Thinkin' big :awesome:
What about the original?! It deserves a giant tournament scene!

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
What about the original?! It deserves a giant tournament scene!
I can't really speak for the Smash 64 community as I am not a part of it but I'm sure if any of their players are interested they could speak up.

That said, I don't even know if they have any intention of doing anything other than Brawl. So we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet. Let's wait till some of us get emailed back/ he posts here again.

link2702

Smash Champion
I can't really speak for the Smash 64 community as I am not a part of it but I'm sure if any of their players are interested they could speak up.

That said, I don't even know if they have any intention of doing anything other than Brawl. So we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves just yet. Let's wait till some of us get emailed back/ he posts here again.
actually the interesting thing about this is he said on keeta's wall that he doubt he would do one about brawl, but might be interested in doing one about melee/64

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
actually the interesting thing about this is he said on keeta's wall that he doubt he would do one about brawl, but might be interested in doing one about melee/64
Huh, you are referring to that article about competitive smash you posted about in the other topic? Interesting.

Well, I figure instead of one huge articles, a series of videos talking about the hidden depth that the games have would be more interesting and digestible then a huge article covering every topic about the competitive aspect of Melee.

Can you either post/PM me a link to where these posts are going on?

Vermanubis

King of Evil
BRoomer
NNID
Vermanubis
3DS FC
1564-2185-4386
I don't know how my status as a "top player" is perceived, but if it's unanimous, I'd be more than happy to write something up.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
I don't know how my status as a "top player" is perceived, but if it's unanimous, I'd be more than happy to write something up.

Now, people keep mentioning articles, but I can't help but feel video tutorials would be the best way to go. Something short and to the point that could go side by side with some of the matches, explaining one of the many techniques that are utilized by competitive players.

Maybe one week have a video explainingg L canceling, how it works, how it was discovered, etc., wavedashing, jc grabbing, DI, etc. I feel like having on article that just talks about competitive play in general will either be far to long to describe the actual nature of competitive play, or far to vague to actually touch upon these topic.

This is my suggestion, and I'd be more then happy to do them. I just feel that articles about competitive play would be either overwhelming or underwhelming.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
Now, people keep mentioning articles, but I can't help but feel video tutorials would be the best way to go. Something short and to the point that could go side by side with some of the matches, explaining one of the many techniques that are utilized by competitive players.

Maybe one week have a video explainingg L canceling, how it works, how it was discovered, etc., wavedashing, jc grabbing, DI, etc. I feel like having on article that just talks about competitive play in general will either be far to long to describe the actual nature of competitive play, or far to vague to actually touch upon these topic.

This is my suggestion, and I'd be more then happy to do them. I just feel that articles about competitive play would be either overwhelming or underwhelming.
Articles could be useful in conjunction with videos; IE, if someone wanted to write an article about spacing and how it affects the game, they could use videos to show what they were explaining in the article.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I'd be willing to write a little something, something

Gaming journalism was a high school dream of mine so i'd be willing to write humorous smash related tidbits and articles

link2702

Smash Champion
i'm really starting to think its a lost cause as far as convincing the casuals/non-competitives that the competitive players aren't "evil little monsters that use a broken ech like wavedashing to ruin the game"

seriously....look at alot of their posts and many of them are wanting the games to be even MORE imbalanced, and force luck into more matches, strictly to turn the competitive players away from smash for good.

not to mention many of them are still absolutly convinced that wavedashing is the most broken op'd tech in any fighting game ever, and is a lousy glitch that instantly turns anyone that uses it into a "pro" and/or any character "broken"

...i'm not kidding....that is literally what alot of them think.

try to reason with them, let them know the actual facts....adn this happens.

"NO U GUSY JUST PURPOSELY DESTORY DA GAME AND DON'T ALLOW ANY FUN!"

I haven't been in many other competitive communities other then smash....but i'm almost 99% sure the rest of them don't have the non-competitive side of it wanting to kill and destroy every last one of the competitive players in existance....hell not even the pkmn community.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
i'm really starting to think its a lost cause as far as convincing the casuals/non-competitives that the competitive players aren't "evil little monsters that use a broken ech like wavedashing to ruin the game"

seriously....look at alot of their posts and many of them are wanting the games to be even MORE imbalanced, and force luck into more matches, strictly to turn the competitive players away from smash for good.

not to mention many of them are still absolutly convinced that wavedashing is the most broken op'd tech in any fighting game ever, and is a lousy glitch that instantly turns anyone that uses it into a "pro" and/or any character "broken"

I haven't been in many other competitive communities other then smash....but i'm almost 99% sure the rest of them don't have the non-competitive side of it wanting to kill and destroy every last one of the competitive players in existance....hell not even the pkmn community.
When this gets done, I plan on explaining how and why things work in the game the way they do, rather then simply teaching how to do them. You are correct in thinking that some people will still look at this game and the techniques and think we are destroying the game, but there will be some that will see why it is not only beneficial to the game, but hella fun when you know how to do it v_v

That said, the goal of this isn't so much to convert casuals to our way of play. Especially not ones that already know about competitive players and simply brush them off or despise them. It's to show those unaware of the hidden depth that smash games have and help us grow our community and get people interested in learning and training. I never worked harder at any game then I have at Smash Brothers, it is because a friend showed me the immense depth that this game had and it astounded me that a simple party game could be an extremely deep fighter. I'm hoping that we will have the same effect.

Also as an update for all of you, I received an email back from Rich and he wants to get started after e3 is over.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I'm hoping Rich responds to me as well. I've actually already compiled a lot of good visual training materials, could actually fly down there on occasion for gaming sessions as I have nearby family, and I could probably get some BBR-produced material for IGN to publish should they so desire as well.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord

This is why it pisses me off to even read comments on youtube. Apparently this guy thinks Brawl has a lot of combos and Melee is about rolling around and smash attacks while Brawl uses more technique <_<

link2702

Smash Champion
When this gets done, I plan on explaining how and why things work in the game the way they do, rather then simply teaching how to do them. You are correct in thinking that some people will still look at this game and the techniques and think we are destroying the game, but there will be some that will see why it is not only beneficial to the game, but hella fun when you know how to do it v_v

That said, the goal of this isn't so much to convert casuals to our way of play. Especially not ones that already know about competitive players and simply brush them off or despise them. It's to show those unaware of the hidden depth that smash games have and help us grow our community and get people interested in learning and training. I never worked harder at any game then I have at Smash Brothers, it is because a friend showed me the immense depth that this game had and it astounded me that a simple party game could be an extremely deep fighter. I'm hoping that we will have the same effect.

Also as an update for all of you, I received an email back from Rich and he wants to get started after e3 is over.
i'm by no means wanting to convert casuals to competitive play(well not all of em)

what i'm looking at in the long run of all this...is to at least get the non-competitives/casuals to not hate our guts so much, and vice versa, i've seen alot of competitive players who are just absolutly hell bent on trying to tell everyone who doesn't play competitively that they suck at the games and stuff like that, which definatly doesn't help us in anyway....

like i said, i haven't been in many other competitive gaming communities other then smash, but surely the non-competitive and competitives sides don't absolutely hate each other as much as the non-competitives and competitive sides of smash.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
i'm by no means wanting to convert casuals to competitive play(well not all of em)

what i'm looking at in the long run of all this...is to at least get the non-competitives/casuals to not hate our guts so much, and vice versa, i've seen alot of competitive players who are just absolutly hell bent on trying to tell everyone who doesn't play competitively that they suck at the games and stuff like that, which definatly doesn't help us in anyway....

like i said, i haven't been in many other competitive gaming communities other then smash, but surely the non-competitive and competitives sides don't absolutely hate each other as much as the non-competitives and competitive sides of smash.
The stigma of competitive players being hated is never going to go away. Even if Sakurai himself said that Wavedashing, L-canceling etc were legit, people would still say we are playing it wrong. The people who hate competitive smash will not have their mind changed by tutorial videos. This should be targeting those who love smash, but don't know or don't understand the competitive nature of it.

And the bottom line is, if our community is large enough to sustain growth, then why does it matter what other communities think of us? Sure, some potential players will be turned away from it if they here that it's "LOL NO ITEMS FINAL DESTINATION FOX ONLY" but these videos will show those people without an inherent hate for the game a reason to improve.

Haters gonna hate.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
What would make these videos complete is a guy like Pierce to critique these guys and talk about basic ways to improve as a casual player. =P

Top Bottom