• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I write for my friends" - the growing Ike guide by Kirk and Empy. Updating again!

MysticKenji

Smash Master
Frigate Orpheon - Counter.
Bowser, Captain Falcon, Charizard, Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Fox, Falco, Game & Watch, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur, Jigglypuff, King Dedede, Kirby, Link, Lucario, Lucas, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Metaknight, Ness, Olimar, Peach, Pikachu, Pit, R.O.B, Samus, Sheik, Snake, Sonic, Squirtle, Toon Link, Wario, Wolf, Yoshi, Zelda, Zero Suit Samus
edit'd
agree/disagree?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Battlefield against Marth is not an advantage for Ike, since it is thought of by many to be Marth's best stage, and Delfino isn't a big advantage for Ike, since that too is Marth's best or second best stage.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
If you want a stage discussion, we have stage discussion thread. (Its only got 4 stages done so far) But I mentioned in there how Marth does good on BF. If you wish to add to it, then post there. We aren't at delfino, but go ahead and post that too

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Hurricane Ike is over. It was stupid and insensitive then and it's still stupid now. Just shut up about it and write something useful (possibly hypocritical statement).

Deoxys

Smash Lord
I'm pretty much positive that I can get out of a grab after you pummel me once before you can throw me if I'm at less than 30%... Also, the guide uses "metagame" incorrectly, but it doesn't really matter I guess.

Oceans14

Smash Rookie
use for uthrow

This has probably been stated already, but a good follow up to the uthrow is a utilt to punish fast-fallers, or a usmash if they fall slower.

metroid1117

Smash Master
please update the guide there is work to be done!
Yeah... a lot of the match-up stuff has yet to be finished, and some of the stuff that is written is old that hasn't taken in the current metagame; the Link section, for example, doesn't mention his ZAir at all, which is a current staple for any Link user. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to either link YagamiLight's match-up discussion or ask him if it can be copy+pasted onto here.

Empy

Smash Ace
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands (it ain't much, if it
Hello guys. Sorry I've been away for so long. As you might have noticed I haven't updated the guide in a very long time and it's not even done yet. The thing is, I haven't played Brawl at all since my last tourney about 2 months ago and I hardly played it before that as well. I just don't enjoy the game as much as Melee. Whenever I think of Brawl I only think of Ike, because he's the only thing that kept the game a bit fun for me. Now I'm not gonna turn this into a Melee vs Brawl debate, let's just say that I played Melee for 7 years, enjoyed it but have had enough. And played Brawl for 7 months, enjoyed it to a lesser extend and basically, had enough.

However, I can't get over leaving the guide like this. And I really enjoyed my time with you guys. So here's what I'm gonna do, today I got another interview for my new job (which is part of the reason I played less Brawl) but after that I got quite some time off. Now I'll be looking which parts need updates the most. I think I pretty much know what to write already but still. After that, I can't say the exact date or time, but somewhere this week, I'll make an update to the guide. I'll stick around these forums for a while to see the responses but you can basically take it as an, goodbye and thanks for all the fish update.

Do know, that if I for some reason start to enjoy this game a bit more, this will be the first place I'll go and hopefully writing the final chapters of this guide makes me want to play again, but don't count on it.

Royta

Smash Journeyman
Sad to hear you 'leave' but I didn't see much of you on the NL forums and such, I had a hunch you were tired of it ;p

Good luck on your job interview and hope to hear from you soon^^

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Short hop + Ike's Fair is a great approach, especially at stages like battlefield, if your opponent is on a platform. Sometimes Aether can actually be a really good move, since it comes off faster than most of his attacks, and you get super armor. Nair is also great, since it's not too slow and attacks all around. If your opponent is behind you in the air, Nair + Bair is always a great combo.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Bumpity bump.

I started using Ike, because my foster brother started to main him, and he's amazing. I will definetly secondary him for sure.

Guide is kinda tl;dr, but still amazing regardless. <3

Kaito0921

Smash Rookie
Great guide.
I will read everything of it.
I'm sure it'll help me out of my dark hole in Brawl.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

I've never played Ike before. I was just playing randoms and I discovered that if you use quickdraw towards the edge from the right location there is 0 ending lag and you can do any attack you want to straight off the bat.

I have spent some time looking through the forums, but I can't figure out a name for this so it's hard to search.

Anyway, just letting you know incase this is new information.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord

That's not what I mean. Using it so you end at the edge means no ending lag, so you can SH and spike quickly.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
when Kirk said there was ending lag he meant there is ending lag even if it isn't long its still there. A whiffed QD will end around 26 frames. (which isn't lagless IMO, fair is less laggy in terms of frames. Besides, QD is just a spacing mind game. No one is gonna just let you spike them.

.Marik

is a social misfit
Nice thread, I'm picking up Ike, and I'm pretty sure this guide will come in handy. =)

Top Bottom