• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think edge hogging is ********! (dare to be a rebel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
At this point, I already know that edge hogging is generally accepted by the smash community as a plausible strategy, but come on guys... whats the point of smashing if the only way to achieve victory is to nab the stage from your opponent? personally i cant respect any smasher who, instead of using his skill to defeat me, would rather grab the stage and watch me fall than to finish me himself. Call me crazy, but I like destroying people with my skill. How about you?

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
Defeating your opponent through skill is nice, but edge hogging is getting easy kills. I play to win (and for fun) not to show off or feel good about myself (I feel good about myself anyway).

XienZo

Smash Lord
well, this is a play-to-win kinda community, and its more to win than to play in a way some people would call more fair. And some characters need edgehogging to get kills. On the other hand, if you're randomly playing casuals and all, edgehogging can be a tad cruel. Better to nail them with a assist trophy.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
So yeah, majority votes edge-hogging when you're playing to win, and maybe not in matches vs. those who wouldn't do it to you.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
*scratches head*

Don't you need to knock your opponent off the stage first? I mean, there's got to be skill involved somewhere, or you never get the set-up for the edge-hog.

So really, it's just an element that makes the game go faster because everyone dies sooner. And given how long Brawl matches last I'd have to say I think that's a good thing.

The only way it becomes an advantage to one player is if his/her opponent for some reason doesn't edge-hog as well. Which, mind you, is absolutely ********.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
But, sometimes, characters with low attack (or when fighting a person like pit with great recovery) can only meteor smash and if he does survive that, they have to edgehog so he can't make it. I do, however, think it shouldn't be done often.

Crow!

Smash Lord
On the contrary, I think that the ledge dynamics are one of the most interesting and skillful aspects of Smash. And this is coming from a Link main - one of the most easily gimped characters out there.

The battle for the ledge is very interesting, and it's extremely satisfying when you successfully turn the tables on your opponent. With a couple of exceptions, edgeguarders put themselves in a dangerous situation as they go for the early kill - high risk, high reward. Brawl does a lot to encourage this activity.

Me, I'm much more annoyed by people who insist on playing on Final Destination all the time. No variations provided by the stage means fewer strategic possibilities.

pure_awesome

Smash Lord
Me too!

I also hate people who hit me off the stage with powerful attacks. I mean, how much skill does it take to do a smash attack?

I would much rather my opponent use skill to defeat me, than to get my percentage up high and then hit me off by pressing a button. So lame.

Oh, wait. You're an idiot.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
On the contrary, I think that the ledge dynamics are one of the most interesting and skillful aspects of Smash. And this is coming from a Link main - one of the most easily gimped characters out there.

The battle for the ledge is very interesting, and it's extremely satisfying when you successfully turn the tables on your opponent. With a couple of exceptions, edgeguarders put themselves in a dangerous situation as they go for the early kill - high risk, high reward. Brawl does a lot to encourage this activity.

Me, I'm much more annoyed by people who insist on playing on Final Destination all the time. No variations provided by the stage means fewer strategic possibilities.
My thoughts exactly.

Edge hogging requires skill if you want to do it right. I have the sneaking suspicion that the reason you (Justblaze) don't do it is due more to inability than it is righteousness.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
This is a competitive board. If you aren't doing what is legal to win, then you should just leave.

And before "The way the developers wanted" show me a rule book that says how you should play. No, they only say how you could play. A good developer would never limit his players to the way he wants to play.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
I used to think edgehogging sucked... until I learned how to do it.

Do I od it every chance I get? Probably not. But it's just soooooo satisfying to see your opponent slowly fall to his/her death after a failed attempt to grab the ledge because it's already being occupied by someone who's using their invincibility frames...

Besides, you need to create a cushion for victory? Edgehog.
You need to make a one-stock comeback to even things up? Edgehog.
You opponent has a one-minded approach towards recovery? Edgehog.
Below stage upB is getting predictable? Edgehog.

crescentia

Smash Journeyman
whats the point of smashing if the only way to achieve victory is to nab the stage from your opponent?
isn't the whole point of smash to knock your opponent off the stage and make sure he doesn't get back? it takes even more skill to successfully edgehog someone in brawl than in melee, given the new ledge mechanics

personally i cant respect any smasher who, instead of using his skill to defeat me, would rather grab the stage and watch me fall than to finish me himself. Call me crazy, but I like destroying people with my skill
personally I can't really take you seriously. honestly, if you get edgehogged it's your own fault because you got hit in the first place, failed to DI properly, and then failed to hit your opponent off the edge and/or then space your up-B accordingly.

I mean, come on.

Ace55

Smash Lord
And before "The way the developers wanted" show me a rule book that says how you should play. No, they only say how you could play. A good developer would never limit his players to the way he wants to play.
Dude, edgehogging is a part of the game. It even had a bonus term in Melee, Sakurai approves (not that that matters but still).

One of my friends also used the argument that it's cheap and easy, yet he can't do it himself :dizzy:.In most friendlies I just release the edge though, I just let them know that I could have killed them right there.

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
An easy way to stop all of this would be to simply have said: The game gave you bonus points in Melee for performing edgehogs. The game itself recognizes it as skill. So, you can either accept the fact that you're wrong, or keep being a scrub and baw about edgehogging.

Up to you.

Smash Apprentice
It does take skill to edgehog well. You have to factor in many different things, like invincibility frames, etc.

You may not like it, bu the fact that you set up arbitrary boudaries only means that those that do edgehog will beat you.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The computer edgehogs as well. Proof that it wasn't only intended, but expected to be used.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
I dont feel like edgehogging is a "honorable" tactic, and so does everyone on my conmunity, so we have no problem with that, its just banned, and nobody has complained about it.... the LOLs are a lot when that happens accidently..... but i can see it is a way to win easier, so a lot of people may like it, its just about preferences, i personally like a LOT long battles.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I dont feel like edgehogging is a "honorable" tactic, and so does everyone on my conmunity, so we have no problem with that, its just banned, and nobody has complained about it.... the LOLs are a lot when that happens accidently..... but i can see it is a way to win easier, so a lot of people may like it, its just about preferences, i personally like a LOT long battles.
You're doing it wrong...

PK Hexagon

Smash Apprentice
Long battles are a given. This is Brawl we're playing, remember?

Gishnak

Smash Ace
That's interesting, because edge guarding (with the inclusion of edgehogging) is one of the more skillful aspects of this bland game.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
The computer edgehogs as well. Proof that it wasn't only intended, but expected to be used.
Wasn't there a thread going around that a level 1 ROB edgehogged someone? XD

Edgehogging is just another way to keep someone from coming back on the stage. Like meteor smashes and gimping, it's pretty much intended to be in the game. It's also pretty easy to get around in Brawl when compared to Melee. I'm not sure why this is even brought up in the first place.

storm92

Smash Ace
This is a competitive board. If you aren't doing what is legal to win, then you should just leave.

What's funny is the developers actually had the name "edge hogging" for when one player grabbed the ledge so another couldn't in Melee in the end-game bonus things.
So they knew it was there, and even gave it a name (which we adopted).
EDIT: Someone already said that above, sorry.

I really hate topics like this. Do what you have to to win. As others already touched on, most the time it's a battle for the edge and not just as easy as you make it out to be.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging is just like every other aspect of Brawl.... if you know what your opponent is going to do, you should be able to punish it. Just as you can time a smash attack every time someone uses the same approach, if someone only relies on one method of recovery, theyre asking to be punished. Dont want to be edge hogged? Dont recover in the same way every time.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't like edgehogging either because it looks boring, it takes very little skill to run off the stage and press back. (unless I'm using DK) I do it anyway though, I'd rather it not be in the game, but it is so I use it.

Tenki

Smash Hero
Wasn't there a thread going around that a level 1 ROB edgehogged someone? XD
I think that was a ROB/Ike gimping Snake's C4 recovery.. lol

PS. edgehogging is cool.

Also, Veggi's sig defeats mine.

Twilght Link

Smash Journeyman
Edge hogging takes skill imo, you have to make sure u time it properly or else ur opponent can stage spike u after u lose ur invincibility frames. Nonetheless, after i grab on to the ledge, i like to jump off backwards while my opponent is still trying to recover and knock them back with a bair or two. It racks up damage and keeps the enemy at bay. Thus, i usually will edgehog on tether recoveries (especially on olimar) or lucario. Once as i was falling with tlink i tether recovered right before my opponent tried with their up b and they were unable to do anything (it looked so epic)

fkacyan

Smash Hero
To sum up this thread:

OP: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
Everybody else: stfu.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
This thread is stupid. Edge hogging is very skillfull and a part of the game. If you don't like it maybe you should play another game. There's nothing at all cheap or easy about it.

Veggi

Smash Champion
This thread is stupid. Edge hogging is very skillfull and a part of the game. If you don't like it maybe you should play another game. There's nothing at all cheap or easy about it.
Actually I thought edgehogging was one of the easiest things to do in Smash Bros. See someone coming down near the edge? Run off the stage and press back.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
I am not going to go out and say edgehogging should be banned, or something stupid, but it is a cowardly tactic, although it is very satisying to snag someone with ZS Samus's up-B when being edghogged.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Edge-hogging in itself is skill-less. But setting up for an edge-hog is where the skill comes into place.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
I am not going to go out and say edgehogging should be banned, or something stupid, but it is a cowardly tactic, although it is very satisying to snag someone with ZS Samus's up-B when being edghogged.

Cowardly? Since when was running straight at someone who's going to use an attack and not retaliating but just doing a casual thing like grabbing a ledge cowardly? Waiting on the stage so you don't have a chance of getting hit is more cowardly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom