• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think edge hogging is ********! (dare to be a rebel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipstar

Smash Journeyman
Playing for fun = I don't really do it

Playing to win= I'll do it every chance i get

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You think you know?..
You don't know how bad it is.
But as HORRIBLE as it is, its part of the game.
Extra EXTRA emphasis on horrible.
This is why I hate Wario.

hippochinfat!!

Smash Lord
I think you're angry because somone edgehogged you.

Besides, in Melee there was a 5000 point bonus for edgehogging so they intended for you tod o it.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Its not really cheap or cowardly. because if ur opponets smart they will
A) Get back on above the ledge...
B)Attack u with their up b to recover and knock u off it.
or C) use a aerial to knock you off the edge then up b.

So as u c edgehogging puts u in danger as Crow! said a few post ago. U have the risk of dieing ur self or suffering some bad damage because of it. I mean come on Sakuri likes it :D...

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
well first off, obviously if your playing in a tournament environment, playing to win is a must. but if a player is the type who absolutely cannot acheive victory with out edge hogging, they should be called anything but skillfull. edge guarding is a tactic. edge hogging is a crutch. and even if it was recognized in melee, what game are we playing now? no one can deny that they made it far easier to grab the stage (what happened to mario's cape?). it is far easier to edge hog than it is to meteor smash him. so where's the skill.

PS: if you think im a noob and you can destroy me as such... try me :chuckle:

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
Listen just calm down its just a game... go with the flow edgehogging is a extention of the "keep ur oppent off the stage" idea is all.
You arguing this does nothing. Its still gonna be used like it or not. So instead wasting time y not find tactics against edgehogging with ur main.
The 3 I said are good advice use it...and have fun and chill.

Veggi

Smash Champion
I don't think there's actually anything to argue here other than that edgehogging takes as much skill as getting a normal kill. It doesn't, just run off the stage and press back when someones coming down in an air cripple. I play Mario, I do it all the time. Anyone can do it and gimping tether recoveries makes it easier. I'm going to have to agree with the thread creator here.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord
Cowardly? Since when was running straight at someone who's going to use an attack and not retaliating but just doing a casual thing like grabbing a ledge cowardly? Waiting on the stage so you don't have a chance of getting hit is more cowardly.
You won't get hit when you edgehog cause you get a bountiful harvest of invincibility frames, standing on the stage and waiting for your opponent to recover is braver, as they will be able to face you, and you can face them.
And everyone won't necessarily attack.

Jumping off the stage and spiking someone is braver, the Victim can either dodge or attack, and the Attacker can either dodge or attack.
Edghogging is easy, cowardly, cheap and shows your desperation to win. But, I won't stop you from using it, as it is a valid tactic, I just wanted to make sure you know what it is.
I don't edgehog normally, I may if I am just trying to get on someones nerves, but I won't call you out and whine and say edghogging should be banned or something ludicrous.
I won't tell you to stop edghogging, it would be better to work around it, which is easier for some than others...(begin staring at Lucario, Squirtle and Sheik).

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
You won't get hit when you edgehog cause you get a bountiful harvest of invincibility frames, standing on the stage and waiting for your opponent to recover is braver, as they will be able to face you, and you can face them.
And everyone won't necessarily attack.

Jumping off the stage and spiking someone is braver, the Victim can either dodge or attack, and the Attacker can either dodge or attack.
Edghogging is easy, cowardly, cheap and shows your desperation to win. But, I won't stop you from using it, as it is a valid tactic, I just wanted to make sure you know what it is.
I don't edgehog normally, I may if I am just trying to get on someones nerves, but I won't call you out and whine and say edghogging should be banned or something ludicrous.
I won't tell you to stop edghogging, it would be better to work around it, which is easier for some than others...(begin staring at Lucario, Squirtle and Sheik).
most ppl edgehogg while invinciblity period is over I do.
So ur not alway invincible.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
most ppl edgehogg while invisablity period is over I do.
So ur not alway invisible.
I think you mean invincibility.
And thats why you drop down and grab the edge again.
Invincibility back.
(**** spelling)

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
I think you mean invincibility.
And hats why you drop down and grab the edge again.
Invincibility back.
Yea but dont feel like it, and yea I did mean that thanx and I think u mean thats not hats lol.

But yes its pointless to aruge that too veggi cuz its not gonna stop edgehogging. I mean psshht Im gonna do it any way.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
Know what, never mind about what I said earlier, I meant this.

This is what I like to do to people who complain about the stupidest s*** in Smash.

Learn to use it and avoid it and piss off of this thread.

/thread

Gygados

Smash Apprentice
Don't turn around, 'cos then I'll be behind you.
In a tourney, it is serious, so you play to win; ergo, you'll use edge hogging to win. If you play for fun, then, providing you're playing a jolly person, it's a good laugh, as long as it's not spammed. A surprise edge-hog outta the jack-in-the-box every now and then boils everyone's cuppa tea! Mostly...

If it is use too often, or you are killed repeatedly by some sore-losing moron, then in gets annoying.

AStopSign

Smash Rookie
well first off, obviously if your playing in a tournament environment, playing to win is a must. but if a player is the type who absolutely cannot acheive victory with out edge hogging, they should be called anything but skillfull. edge guarding is a tactic. edge hogging is a crutch. and even if it was recognized in melee, what game are we playing now? no one can deny that they made it far easier to grab the stage (what happened to mario's cape?). it is far easier to edge hog than it is to meteor smash him. so where's the skill.

well first off, obviously if your playing in a tournament environment, playing to win is a must. but if a player is the type who absolutely cannot acheive victory with out using smash attacks, they should be called anything but skillfull. tilting is a tactic. smashing is a crutch. and even if it was recognized in melee, what game are we playing now? no one can deny that they made it far easier to use smash attacks (so many different configurations to do it). it is far easier to kill with a smash attack than it is to kill with a tilt. so where's the skill.

This is how ridiculous your post sounds to me. And what makes yours any more valid? Nothing.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Me too!

I also hate people who hit me off the stage with powerful attacks. I mean, how much skill does it take to do a smash attack?

I would much rather my opponent use skill to defeat me, than to get my percentage up high and then hit me off by pressing a button. So lame.

Oh, wait. You're an idiot.
Best reply ever.

But it's true, edgehogging is no different than playing the game like you normally would. Even computers edgehog now. : O

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
At this point, I already know that edge hogging is generally accepted by the smash community as a plausible strategy, but come on guys... whats the point of smashing if the only way to achieve victory is to nab the stage from your opponent? personally i cant respect any smasher who, instead of using his skill to defeat me, would rather grab the stage and watch me fall than to finish me himself. Call me crazy, but I like destroying people with my skill. How about you?
You know, your skill is probably next to nothing with scrub tastic **** like this.

Just sayin'.

Justblaze647

Smash Lord
Running for my life in the forests of Eelong
This is how ridiculous your post sounds to me. And what makes yours any more valid? Nothing.
ok. so seriously dude, if you cant see the difference between an edge hog and a smash attack, maybe you should pick up a new game... lol

its not an argument, its a discussion. asking a pro smasher not to edge hog, is like asking a melee player not to wavedash. but, as far as tactics go, it is by far the easiest method of getting a kill. so why is it so important that pro players need to edge hog each other to secure victory.

...Sometimes the "better" player doesnt win

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Wait, you're saying it's easy to make people die by edgehogging in Brawl? All this time people have been recovering way past the ledge. It seemed more like a waste of time than an easy KO to me.

Unless you're playing Heavy Brawl, or something.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Edgeguarding is much more difficult in Brawl. Plus, One of the staples of Super Smash has been the fact that you can control the edge of the stages (and knock them off to set up edgegaurds) to get kills. Once they remove that it will just be like any any other 2d fighting game for the most part.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Wait, you're saying it's easy to make people die by edgehogging in Brawl? All this time people have been recovering way past the ledge. It seemed more like a waste of time than an easy KO to me.

Shhh, dont tell him that!

Project Occasus

Smash Cadet
Edgehogging takes no skill? That's ridiculous. you guys aren't looking at the whole picture. By your logic, something like Shielding takes no skill. I mean all you do is press a button right? But that's not the whole point right? You have to time it. And with edgehogging, you still have to get your opponent off the stage and far enough/low enough that they can only make it back with the ledge.

There's a bigger picture.

Johnthegalactic

Smash Lord

Or unless your not Pit, Snake or R.O.B and you aren't knock upward, or you use a tether recovery(Olimar and Ivysaur are crying, Samus can deal).
Although, tether recovery's are advantageous in that they instantely snap to the ledge rather than giving time to the opponent to go grab the ledge.
What you said is not always the case.

The moral of the story?

Don't play a character with a ****ty recovery if you fear edgehogging.
haha, everyone in favor of Ganondorf............ok...everyone in favor of Pit(massive cheering ensues).

I neither endorse or condemn edghogging, yet I recognize at as a valid tactic, this message was approved by myself....am I still on?

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
how did this get to 5 pages so quickly? Everything that needs to be said has been said already

SirKibble

Smash Champion
Edge-hogging has to be practiced like every other skill in Smash Bros. There's nothing cheap or ******** about it. It does take skill and practice to be able to do it right all the time. It's like effective spacing or projectile-use. They're all part of the game, and used correctly, they'll all improve your game a lot.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Wait GIMPing or Grabbing the edge so people die?

Being an Olimar main most would probably expect me to agree with this guy and complain as well :dizzy: Of course I don't like being GIMPed and having the edge taken from my Pikman Chain but it's just something you have to accept :ohwell: Olimar is an easily GIMPed character, but I work my way around it as best I can, not complain and call people cheap for doing everything in there power to win the match.

miCKi

Smash Apprentice
This "disscution" is a waste lucky me I have no life atm... so listen carefully no matter how bad his TL is edgegaurding also ties in with edgehugging. Edgehugging is a Edgegaurding tactic. IDC if u think its cheap. Wavedashing cant be compared to edgehugging. Considering you say it takes no skill to edgehugg I beat alot of melee players would laugh if u said wavedashing doesnt take skill.
Wavedashing was basically a mess up in the game. Thats y its "technically" not in brawl.
Edgehugging has been a edgegaurding technique sence players thought hey I can stop them from catching the edge if Im here. In melee they also found how to get off the edge and it still think ur there. In brawl thats not possiable. Thus meaning they fixed it.

So my point is u cant compare something thats supposed to be in the game to something thats not.

Also I believe that asksing a pro from melee or brawl to not edgehogg is like asking u to stfu...>_<;;

me too union most people have I guess he hasnt tho..., ._.;;

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
Haha, I used to think like you. But this kind of thinking holds you back. You should always expect people to edgehog you. You'd probably be mad if you lost because you DIDN'T edgehog when you could have.

Did you know CPU's edgehog sometimes? (I've seen this on more than one occasion)

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So, if I trick you so that I can edge hog you...how is that not skill?

In fact, your likely upset because you don't have the adequate skill to get around edge hoggers.

That said, this topic has been done a million times. Your basing your judgments on feelings instead of logic, thats usually the summation of the entire debate. Sure, someone falling for a fools mate may be cheap but its perfectly legitimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom