• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Maybe, we don't know, Microsoft would really waste a huge opportunity here, because putting Chief in Smash would make sure people get hype for Infinite or MCC on PC (or maybe a switch port).
Switch port will be unlikely due to technical issue unless Switch lasts way longer. MCC was already heck of job, trying to stitch different games altogether. That's why MCC Reach is taking so much time on getting on PC. It's possible that MCC could be released on next Nintendo console.

As for advertisement... I am not sure. Many newcomers didn't come here for their advertisement. Correct me if I am wrong. I am sure there are few exceptions.
The last DLC would be too early for MCC or Halo Infinite advertisement. So I guess later DLC that is near Infinite release date?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
To add to that, the main reason Reach for MCC had gotten delayed is because they needed to find another way to fit Reach within what little file size they had remaining for the MCC Xbox One game/disc, which was trickier than they thought initially. Suffice to say, Reach was pushing it as far as how many games they could fit all into one little collection (Reach on top of Halo 1 through 4 and ODST).

A Switch cartridge version of MCC would have to have some major compression to be workable on the platform, to say the least. Who knows how much content might have to be cut to fit as a game on there...

Not that I’d be against an MCC port for Switch happening still, but it wouldn’t be easy even if Microsoft/343 was willing.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
imo i think instead of MCC they could do something like Capcom is doing with DMC aka releasing one game at the time, it would be much easier than putting all games in one cart (only way i can see MCC is that Nintendo helps with the port so they can use the compression magic and fit every single game in the collection).

GolisoPower

Smash Master
imo i think instead of MCC they could do something like Capcom is doing with DMC aka releasing one game at the time, it would be much easier than putting all games in one cart (only way i can see MCC is that Nintendo helps with the port so they can use the compression magic and fit every single game in the collection).
Maybe they could release the MCC as an eShop bundle the moment all the Halo games that are part of it. Like release Halo 1 first, then make the bundle once the final Halo game I the bundle comes out.

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Maybe they could release the MCC as an eShop bundle the moment all the Halo games that are part of it. Like release Halo 1 first, then make the bundle once the final Halo game I the bundle comes out.
That could work, though I think they might skip Reach for the Switch and just put CEA-2A-3/ODST-4
inb4 we just get Wars or Spartan Assault

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Screw Spartan Assault. Firefight (especially Reach’s) is where it’s at.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I think Master Chief has to at least have been brought up to Sakurai. There is no possible timeline where Phil Spencer scheduled a meeting to talk with him about Banjo and only Banjo in Smash. Chief had to have been mentioned at some point, even as just a nudge and a wink. So at the very least, I think Sakurai has or has had Chief in mind for the game before.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Screw Spartan Assault. Firefight (especially Reach’s) is where it’s at.
I am surprised that MS still hasn't released spin-off on Switch yet. Spartan Assault & Strike should be no problem. I think Switch can handle Halo Wars 1&2. They have been releasing Halo on Steam which is kinda direct competitor to MS Store. Nowaday, MS doesn't see Switch as director competitor due to different market.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh, I was thinking of the similarly named Spartan Ops mode with my last post, which was inferior to Firefight imo. Kinda forgot Spartan Assault was a thing/spinoff like Halo Wars and such.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Now that I think about it, is it possible that they negotiated to release spin-off for excuse to include Chief in Smash? Not that being on Nintendo system was ever rule (Sakurai never confirmed that unlike video game origin rule) Some people argue that they are going for real shock at next Game Award. I am not familiar with how Game Award works. Do they host big news like that?

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it, is it possible that they negotiated to release spin-off for excuse to include Chief in Smash? Not that being on Nintendo system was ever rule (Sakurai never confirmed that unlike video game origin rule) Some people argue that they are going for real shock at next Game Award. I am not familiar with how Game Award works. Do they host big news like that?
As much as some of these companies probably want their characters in Smash, I doubt they'd make a Switch port just to get a slot in the roster (well, except Suda51 I guess). Anyhoo, the last Game Award show was when Joker was revealed, so they very well might reveal someone else this time around. The whole show was kind of a slog fer me personally though, so I don't know if I'd recommend watching it live.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I honestly think they're gonna show the first character not-related to the fighter pass at game awards, with the last character being shown during the Terry footage (aka prob during november).
Like, Chief being revealed after the pass ends would make everyone go crazy and think that we're gonna get even crazier picks no one ever though they were gonna be added.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
What do you all think they would do with Halo's music? It's often a slow-burn, atmospheric type of soundtrack, especially with the earlier games. I'd be excited to see where they end up going with it if Chief ever gets added.

On that note, what tracks would you like to see? Aside from the no-brainer Main Theme, I'd be jazzed to hear their take on Halo 1's On A Pale Horse and Halo 2's Leonidas.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Can anyone tell me why Microsoft and Nintendo wouldn't want Chief in Smash? I don't think Phil Spencer said "Oh Banjo was on Nintendo 64, so you guys can use him!" I seriously doubt Phil would go for unwritten rule. Nintendo might be unwilling to put Chief due to price tag, but since Sakurai advertised Xbox, why can't he do the same with Master Chief? Microsoft could reduce profit margin in exchange for potential marketing. I bet that's how negotiation went for Banjo.

What do you all think they would do with Halo's music? It's often a slow-burn, atmospheric type of soundtrack, especially with the earlier games. I'd be excited to see where they end up going with it if Chief ever gets added.

On that note, what tracks would you like to see? Aside from the no-brainer Main Theme, I'd be jazzed to hear their take on Halo 1's On A Pale Horse and Halo 2's Leonidas.
There are too many iconic sound tracks to choose from. Since other series mostly stick to one main theme, I doubt Halo will be exception.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Maybe they want to save Master Chief for a Xbox version of Smash? *crosses fingers*
I remember Xbox head saying that they don't want that. Maybe, the division changed its mind over time.

For Microsoft

Pro:

Con:

For Nintendo

Pro:

Con:
This is the formula I made if people want to share opinion on this matter.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I remember Xbox head saying that they don't want that. Maybe, the division changed its mind over time.

This is the formula I made if people want to share opinion on this matter.
To be fair; that was awhile back before they acquired all those companies. Now they have a MUCH bigger selection of characters. Ori, Cuphead, Raz, Steve, etc. are quite popular.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think that Master Chief would be the ultimate hype character to end ALL DLC, not just the Fighter's Pass.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think that Master Chief would be the ultimate hype character to end ALL DLC, not just the Fighter's Pass.
I second that. I get it that a lot of people were super hyped about Banjo and/or Hero after E3, but putting Chief in Smash would break down the most walls between Nintendo and Microsoft, as well as putting the main character from the world's most popular FPS in the game.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
We’re not going to have to wait that long.

The hype will come on December 12, 2019.

I wish I shared your confidence about Chief getting in. It's fun to see these amalgamations of evidence people do for their characters, though. It's definitely cool to see Sakurai speak well of Halo 2 :)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
We’re not going to have to wait that long.

The hype will come on December 12, 2019.

C.Tsubasa is King Zello, right? He wasn't talking about Banjo, was he? Mario on Playstation looks like hint of Halo on Switch. So who is this guy anyway?

Who is Geoff Keighley? Is he an insider?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Geoff Keighley has been the host of the Game Awards since 2014. I believe he's brought up because The Game Awards might have a Smash DLC announcement of similar magnitude to Joker.

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
C.Tsubasa is King Zello, right? He wasn't talking about Banjo, was he? Mario on Playstation looks like hint of Halo on Switch. So who is this guy anyway?

C.Tsubasa is a reputable leaker who used to go by a different handle (I don't want to confirm or deny out of respect to his wishes). Pretty much everyone on ResetEra has concluded that his "Mario on Playstation" hint is indeed referring to some kind of Halo port coming to Switch eventually. Halo coming to Switch has been outright stated by a few other lesser known leakers on ResetEra as well.

Geoff Keighley has been the host of the Game Awards since 2014. I believe he's brought up because The Game Awards might have a Smash DLC announcement of similar magnitude to Joker.
This is exactly why I included the Game Awards as a "bullet point" on the conspiracy collage. Joker was a megaton announcement, in part because the Persona series is traditionally much more associated with PlayStation than Nintendo. Up until now, the mainline Persona series is entirely exclusive to PlayStation platforms. It would make sense to have another crazy Smash DLC announcement at the Game Awards this year.

Here's my "most likely scenario": Fighter Pass Character 5 is revealed right after Terry's overview video in early November. The first post fighters pass character is revealed at the Game Awards. It's Master Chief. His trailer comes later in the night after trailer(s) earlier in the night announce that Halo 1 Anniversary and/or Halo 2 Anniversary are coming to the Switch as individual download titles (similar to the way Capcom is porting the DMC games one at a time instead of the whole collection).

UberPyro64

Smash Ace

He's like the biggest name in games media. He's the guy who is responsible for the Game Awards and hosts Youtube Live at E3.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
C.Tsubasa is a reputable leaker who used to go by a different handle (I don't want to confirm or deny out of respect to his wishes). Pretty much everyone on ResetEra has concluded that his "Mario on Playstation" hint is indeed referring to some kind of Halo port coming to Switch eventually. Halo coming to Switch has been outright stated by a few other lesser known leakers on ResetEra as well.
Out of curiosity, what has C. Tsubasa leaked that makes them a trustworthy source? Not grilling you, just wondering if you knew.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
https://twitter.com/franklez/status/1076911083909132289

Master Chief is not is Smash DLC. Although I did just download Smash. Now I’m going to do what I always do, button mash, do Street Fighter circle moves and jabs till one works, and then try to keep pushing to the right no matter what is happening or what characters are fighting.
This is that deconfirmation tweet... But wording sounds fishy. Besides grammar error, he is not in dlc... like base dlc? Does that include Fighter Pass? DLC after Fighter Pass?

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
https://twitter.com/franklez/status/1076911083909132289

This is that deconfirmation tweet... But wording sounds fishy. Besides grammar error, he is not in dlc... like base dlc? Does that include Fighter Pass? DLC after Fighter Pass?
That tweet was about the Fighter Pass, because no DLC past that existed when he made it. While Chief obviously isn't a shoe-in or anything, no comment about his inclusion has been made by Frank O'Connor or 343 since negotiations for post-pass DLC began, which was some time this year, I think.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That tweet was about the Fighter Pass, because no DLC past that existed when he made it. While Chief obviously isn't a shoe-in or anything, no comment about his inclusion has been made by Frank O'Connor or 343 since negotiations for post-pass DLC began, which was some time this year, I think.
Fighter Pass hasn't been fully revealed. How does he know that? Because "he would've already known by now" ?

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, what has C. Tsubasa leaked that makes them a trustworthy source? Not grilling you, just wondering if you knew.
The most recent major thing was confirming the existence of the Link's Awakening Remake and Mario Maker 2 before they were announced, but there's been a ton of stuff over the last few years, most of it Nintendo focused. Since E3 2019 he has been largely dormant.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Dang, you guys see the 4chan leak with the Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costume? I can't imagine they would add Chief and Doomguy in the same game, and that leak looks convincing. They're both characters that people will be really excited about, though, so it's hard to be down about it :4pacman:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Dang, you guys see the 4chan leak with the Cacodemon and Mallow Mii costume? I can't imagine they would add Chief and Doomguy in the same game, and that leak looks convincing. They're both characters that people will be really excited about, though, so it's hard to be down about it :4pacman:
I can.
As I've stated in the Newcomer Speculation thread, to equate Doom Slayer and Master Chief as "both gun dudes" is literally the anime swordfighter argument.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I can.
As I've stated in the Newcomer Speculation thread, to equate Doom Slayer and Master Chief as "both gun dudes" is literally the anime swordfighter argument.
You gotta keep in mind that their popularity is only western. To a Japanese audience, two green, fully armored guys with guns would seem insultingly redundant, for a demographic that doesn't care about either of them. Even for an audience who does know both of them, it would be like if Ryu and Terry got in the same game, but they also looked strikingly similar. Like, it doesn't seem likely they would decide to put both of them in the same game.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You gotta keep in mind that their popularity is only western. To a Japanese audience, two green, fully armored guys with guns would seem insultingly redundant, for a demographic that doesn't care about either of them. Even for an audience who does know both of them, it would be like if Ryu and Terry got in the same game, but they also looked strikingly similar. Like, it doesn't seem likely they would decide to put both of them in the same game.
At least, Master Chief has more reputation than Doom Slayer in Japan. I wonder why people never mention this part. "But Doom is pretty obsecure in Japan!" When Halo is mentioned, they keep bringing up its low popularity in Japan like counter point, but I don't see anyone bringing up Doom's almost nonexistent reputation in Japan for comparison.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Well, regardless, if any Halo games start coming to the Switch (which past leaks might be inferring) then I'd be awfully suspicious once again that he might be coming to Ultimate as DLC too.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I think we will get another Microsoft rep because the copyright states Microsoft and not Rare Ltd. In the past when Rare's games were on the handhelds, the Copyright has always been in Rare's name. It has also been the case with Minecraft, the WiiU, Switch and 3DS game are copyrighted to Mojang AB. Why the sudden change now?

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
I think we will get another Microsoft rep because the copyright states Microsoft and not Rare Ltd. In the past when Rare's games were on the handhelds, the Copyright has always been in Rare's name. It has also been the case with Minecraft, the WiiU, Switch and 3DS game are copyrighted to Mojang AB. Why the sudden change now?
It's possible that if we're going to get a second Microsoft rep, it will most likely be Master Chief. The reason why I think that is because leakers (Sabi, PapaGenos, Vergeben and KingZell) are claiming that the MCC is coming to the Switch. But the reason why it's not on the Switch yet is probably because Microsoft wants to use Smash Bros. as promotion material. Again, this is just a theory of mine.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
It's possible that if we're going to get a second Microsoft rep, it will most likely Master Chief. The reason why I think that is because leakers (Sabi, PapaGenos, Vergeben and KingZell) are claiming that the MCC is coming to the Switch. But the reason why it's not on the Switch yet is probably because Microsoft wants to use Smash Bros. as promotion material. Again, this is just a theory of mine.
If you ask me, Master Chief Collection on Switch sounds like an announcement for something big like TGA. If MCC Switch is revealed at any point in time, than one thing's for certain: support for Master Chief in Smash would explode.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
If you ask me, Master Chief Collection on Switch sounds like an announcement for something big like TGA. If MCC Switch is revealed at any point in time, than one thing's for certain: support for Master Chief in Smash would explode.
Oh, easily. One of, if not the biggest factors in people seeing a character as likely is a Nintendo appearance, and MCC on Switch would do just that. I think that the perception of likelihood--that is, people seeing a character as likely to get into Smash--is the biggest factor in garnering support for someone. Characters like Doomguy and Reimu have benefit a lot from this; the former appeared on Switch last year, and Bethesda employees have made reference to Smash before. Both characters have appeared in plenty of rumors, likely made with the purpose of garnering support. Steadily, people have seen these characters as more and more plausible for Smash, so they talk more about them. The effect has been a visible increase in demand for these characters, especially Doomguy, the biggest beneficiary of this, because people keep hearing about them being in Smash and how much sense that makes.

If an MCC on Switch announcement hits, Chief's support is gonna spike, big time. Suddenly this Microsoft character who has nothing to do with Nintendo will be sitting right there on their console, and will effectively be a part of the Nintendo umbrella. As soon as that happens, he'll suddenly make a whole lot of sense to people. And hey, if Infinite turns out to look like a promising game by some miracle, interest in Halo will be the highest it's been in a long time. While none of this will affect his actual chances of getting in, unless you subscribe to the "must have appeared on a Nintendo console" train of thought, it would be fun to see people seriously anticipating Chief in Smash on a level comparable to the other major fan demands :4pacman:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Is it selfish for me to want Chief to be included before any other western characters? I feel like Chief is one that truly represents west as whole. I don't mind other characters following behind him. I want Chief to open the gate. (Well, Banjo was originally from Nintendo, so that's different story.)

Top Bottom