• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
If you ask me, Master Chief Collection on Switch sounds like an announcement for something big like TGA. If MCC Switch is revealed at any point in time, than one thing's for certain: support for Master Chief in Smash would explode.
Since the VGAs are at the Microsoft Theater, what if they pull the same thing they did with Cloud and reveal MCC for Switch + Chief in Smash on the exact same day?

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Honestly, whole argument of legacy for Doom Slayer sounds overrated. I mean Cloud got in before Hero, but Final Fantasy was influenced by Dragon Quest. While I respect Doom, I think Halo is just as influential in different way. I think Chief has bigger arsenal to pull.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Honestly, whole argument of legacy for Doom Slayer sounds overrated. I mean Cloud got in before Hero, but Final Fantasy was influenced by Dragon Quest. While I respect Doom, I think Halo is just as influential in different way. I think Chief has bigger arsenal to pull.
Both Doom Slayer and Master Chief should get in. Gordon Freeman too for that matter.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Now I can successfully cope with Doom Eternal having been delayed for the time being. Re-experiencing Halo Reach in a date not too far off? Sign me up.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Both Doom Slayer and Master Chief should get in. Gordon Freeman too for that matter.
I don't mind other two. But I just wish Chief would make it first. That's all. And I got irritated by certain hypocritical Doom supporters who say "Oh Halo isn't popular in Japan!" yet have nerve to put Doom in the same sentence to say that Doom Slayer has chance when Doom is less than nothing in Japan for comparison.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So, let's say Chief gets in. What weapons would you NOT want to be in his moveset and what weapons would be better off as items that anyone can use?

For weapons to not be in his moveset I'll say Plasma Pistol, and for items I'll say Bubble Shield.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I don't mind other two. But I just wish Chief would make it first. That's all. And I got irritated by certain hypocritical Doom supporters who say "Oh Halo isn't popular in Japan!" yet have nerve to put Doom in the same sentence to say that Doom Slayer has chance when Doom is less than nothing in Japan for comparison.
I’ve never seen these people. It’s common knowledge that FPS’s in general aren’t that big a deal in Japan. Even Doom has some Japanese fans though.

In any case, Doom being to Halo as Dragon Quest is to Final Fantasy is a fair enough comparison.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Doom supporters can really get into the nerves of others at times.

Doh I still believe that Master Chief could happen in the future.

He would be a hype addition, more so with the godly Halo ost.

Tonberry2k

Smash Cadet
I've never even owned an XBox, but I want Crash and Master Chief to be in Smash. All of Nintendo's system rivals since the beginning in one game would be amazing.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So, let's say Chief gets in. What weapons would you NOT want to be in his moveset and what weapons would be better off as items that anyone can use?

For weapons to not be in his moveset I'll say Plasma Pistol, and for items I'll say Bubble Shield.
I'd prefer he use UNSC weapons as opposed to Covenant weapons. The sole exception is the energy sword

1. Chief prefers human weapons.
2. Covenant weapons should be used by Arby as an potential echo.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'd prefer he use UNSC weapons as opposed to Covenant weapons. The sole exception is the energy sword

1. Chief prefers human weapons.
2. Covenant weapons should be used by Arby as an potential echo.
Fair enough with the UNSC weapons. I'm skeptical about having Arbiter being an Echo but with Covenant weapons as not all those guns match the UNSC versions, so that means Chief's hypothetical moveset gets dictated by whatever Arbiter might be able to pull off. Even Ken-styled treatment might be stretching things for those guns. If they go 99% UNSC then they're better off not trying to make an Arbiter Echo since they're crippling Chief's moveset pool to get both in.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
All I know I want for sure is Spartan Laser as his Neutral B, and the "fly like a brick" Antimatter Charge cutscene as his Final Smash.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I’ve never seen these people. It’s common knowledge that FPS’s in general aren’t that big a deal in Japan. Even Doom has some Japanese fans though.

In any case, Doom being to Halo as Dragon Quest is to Final Fantasy is a fair enough comparison.
Of course, there are Doom fans in Japan. But compared to Halo fans? That was my point.

Final Smash is something I can't decide. Warthog with Arbiter and Mac bombardment are two prime candidates from what I saw.

And speaking of special mechanic, what should MC bring?

I like idea of his energy shield mechanic. While it's active, he gets less damage. But once it's gone, he gets more damage and knockback. He can recharge his shield only with melee attack like in Halo with Black Eye Skull. I think this can also applies to his ammo. He can shoot assault rifle and pistol. They are more formdiable than projectiles from other characters, but he also has to melee to reload.

How about summoning weapons into battlefield? That way, he can cover most of Halo arsenals. But unlike his default weapons, they have limited ammo, and Chief can summon only once per life.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Of course, there are Doom fans in Japan. But compared to Halo fans? That was my point.

Final Smash is something I can't decide. Warthog with Arbiter and Mac bombardment are two prime candidates from what I saw.

I like idea of his energy shield mechanic. While it's active, he gets less damage. But once it's gone, he gets more damage and knockback. He can recharge his shield only with melee attack like in Halo with Black Eye Skull. I think this can also applies to his ammo. He can shoot assault rifle and pistol. They are more formdiable than projectiles from other characters, but he also has to melee to reload.

How about summoning weapons into battlefield? That way, he can cover most of Halo arsenals. But unlike his default weapons, they have limited ammo, and Chief can summon only once per life.
Didn't Halo 3 have uncharacteristically high Japanese sales for a US-made FPS game? Surely that tells you something about the JP Halo fanbase.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I like idea of his energy shield mechanic. While it's active, he gets less damage. But once it's gone, he gets more damage and knockback. He can recharge his shield only with melee attack like in Halo with Black Eye Skull.
I do think an Energy Shield mechanic would be one of the main unique things to him. This is the way I envisioned it a bit ago;
Energy Shield Mechanic; Any projectiles are absorbed by the shield, negating any damage and knock-back from them, until it takes too much damage (15%?) and dissipates. Taking damage from normal physical attacks will also drain the shield while only reducing damage from those attacks by 10%(?). Just to note, because of the different properties of physical hits on the energy shield, they don't drain it as quickly as projectiles. Will start recharging after 4 seconds if no damage has been taken and if empty will fully recharge in a matter of 2 seconds (this is after the 4 seconds before recharging).

I don't think Master Chief would be that fast overall so I'm not too worried about people playing super lame because of this mechanic. The idea is he generally wants to stay at a distance anyway and this mechanic just helps him win those firefights at the range he's most comfortable in. Although, if necessary, I do like your idea of regenerating shields through hitting the opponent as a last resort for balancing reasons.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I do think an Energy Shield mechanic would be one of the main unique things to him. This is the way I envisioned it a bit ago;
Energy Shield Mechanic; Any projectiles are absorbed by the shield, negating any damage and knock-back from them, until it takes too much damage (15%?) and dissipates. Taking damage from normal physical attacks will also drain the shield while only reducing damage from those attacks by 10%(?). Just to note, because of the different properties of physical hits on the energy shield, they don't drain it as quickly as projectiles. Will start recharging after 4 seconds if no damage has been taken and if empty will fully recharge in a matter of 2 seconds (this is after the 4 seconds before recharging).

I don't think Master Chief would be that fast overall so I'm not too worried about people playing super lame because of this mechanic. The idea is he generally wants to stay at a distance anyway and this mechanic just helps him win those firefights at the range he's most comfortable in. Although, if necessary, I do like your idea of regenerating shields through hitting the opponent as a last resort for balancing reasons.
I picture him having good burst options, like the classic lunging melee attack, that would pair well with his energy shield for getting in on projectiles. I don't know if you should have to avoid damage to recharge shields like in the games, because then you kinda just have to camp for five seconds whenever you take damage - and in 8-player matches, avoiding damage for that amount of time would be rough.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Didn't Halo 3 have uncharacteristically high Japanese sales for a US-made FPS game? Surely that tells you something about the JP Halo fanbase.
The series had a passionate cult following and Halo 3 did pretty well considering the Xbox 360's market position, but none of the following games did anywhere as well. The rise of more popular competing FPS series and the abysmal Xbox One market in Japan have seriously hurt it.

The best-selling Halo in Japan is 3, with 110k across its various releases. Many FPS before and after have outsold it (All numbers sourced from https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/home):

Medal of Honor Frontline: 172k

Medal of Honor Rising Sun: 112k

Resistance Fall of Man: 148k

Far Cry 5: 182k

Overwatch: 180k

Battlefield 1: 429k

Call of Duty Black Ops 4: 666k

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I picture him having good burst options, like the classic lunging melee attack, that would pair well with his energy shield for getting in on projectiles. I don't know if you should have to avoid damage to recharge shields like in the games, because then you kinda just have to camp for five seconds whenever you take damage - and in 8-player matches, avoiding damage for that amount of time would be rough.
Yeah, he could have a couple quick moves for sure. I'd be surprised if just tapping the neutral attack once didn't do that classic elbow lung melee. Certainly would be his quick get-off me option. Down tilt could easily be like Cloud's, taking inspiration from the slide in Halo 5. The dash attack wouldn't be too bad for speed either, being like Samus', taking inspiration from Halo 5 as well.

Btw, I've come of with most of moveset for him so thats what I'm pulling from but I've having trouble figuring out his down special to help tie together his whole moveset. There is a lot to pull from so it makes it somewhat difficult but its a good problem to have. I would think for his down special he'd use some sort of 'equipment' or 'ability'.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Halo 3 was quite arguably where the series peaked, on top of being the highest grossing in the series in general, so not that much a surprise that it made some numbers even in Japan. But yeah, still not seeing too much a difference between Doom and Halo in that respect. :ohwell: Both seem to be in a better position in Japan than Mortal Kombat though, but even MK I don't think is quite as nonexistent amongst the Japanese audience as some make it out to be.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The series had a passionate cult following and Halo 3 did pretty well considering the Xbox 360's market position, but none of the following games did anywhere as well. The rise of more popular competing FPS series and the abysmal Xbox One market in Japan have seriously hurt it.

The best-selling Halo in Japan is 3, with 110k across its various releases. Many FPS before and after have outsold it (All numbers sourced from https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/home):

Medal of Honor Frontline: 172k

Medal of Honor Rising Sun: 112k

Resistance Fall of Man: 148k

Far Cry 5: 182k

Overwatch: 180k

Battlefield 1: 429k

Call of Duty Black Ops 4: 666k
I think that's why Microsoft is pushing Xbox on PC. PC is Xbox ecosystem to them. They don't care as long as customers are playing within Xbox ecosystem. They tried really hard during 360 era, but it didn't pay off. Yes, they brought many Japanese games to their system, but that wasn't enough. Not to mention, home console even with PS4 is shrinking market in Japan. MCC on PC could cause another bloom in Japan. So Reach will finally come to PC on Dec 3... Quite close to Games Award... "Okay, since we are almost done with PC version, it's time to reveal next stage!"

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
And speaking of Japanese presence, is it really that big of deal? Doesn't Smash sell more in west? I mean yeah... Banjo was already appeal to western fanbase, but Japanese got more. And I don't think Sakurai said anything about Japanese presence problem. He talked about other criteria. I am sure he wants Japanese to learn and appreciate western gaming. What makes him only obliged to do only vice versa? Can't he do both?

I think it's good that MS is aiming for PC because Japanese moved toward PC and mobile gaming iirc. They learned that infiltrating Japanese's shrinking console market isn't worth struggling for. Might as well advertise their games through Switch and PC (Steam).

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Hey I have a question about Reach if any of you don’t mind helping. So I booted up the old 360 and Reach and found that I dont have all the armor, and I’m not even close to getting something like the Mjolnir helmet or gold visor. I play a match of fire fight and only get 80 credits. Gruntpocolypse only gives me 80. A campaign mission only gave me 80. There’s gotta be some other way to get more credits right? I tried the swordbase glitch but thats not nearly as fast as I hoped and very mind-numbing. And god knows I’m not buying a 360 gold membership in 2019.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hey I have a question about Reach if any of you don’t mind helping. So I booted up the old 360 and Reach and found that I dont have all the armor, and I’m not even close to getting something like the Mjolnir helmet or gold visor. I play a match of fire fight and only get 80 credits. Gruntpocolypse only gives me 80. A campaign mission only gave me 80. There’s gotta be some other way to get more credits right? I tried the swordbase glitch but thats not nearly as fast as I hoped and very mind-numbing. And god knows I’m not buying a 360 gold membership in 2019.
I’m not sure what you mean... for all I know those have been patched out.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Update: I figured out my problem with the campaign missions. I didnt have the scoring system on, so now im getting like 2000. I’m not sure what to do with firefight still. I cant find a scoring toggle on that

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
How should we argue if someone brings up "b-but Fall of Reach novel came before Halo: Combat Evolved!" ? Would it be similar to Lucario?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I think Chief has a decent chance post-pass. Also, I maintain that Phil Spencer most likely brought up Chief during the Banjo negotiations, as Lionfranky mentioned. It's a total free-for-all for the Fighter #5 spot, so I don't think he'll show at TGA's.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'm not expecting Chief at the Game Awards either but I am anticipating his potential reveal in Smash post-pass later on next year around or before the release of Halo Infinite.

BlackInk

Smash Lord
I’ve played enough Halo to recognize Cortana’s voice (outside Halo Legends).
Something about her here seems... off.
It’s a troll. It was made before ultimate’s release on some vocal site. Smash speculation looked into it and found the site.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
It’s a troll. It was made before ultimate’s release on some vocal site. Smash speculation looked into it and found the site.
You got a source on confirming that?

From what I understand currently it was leaked onto that website, this one I presume?: https://vocaroo.com/gO9VyfyY5eE

I don't exactly see a way to trace the date so I personally I have no idea if that's true or not.

I do agree though Cortana seems off, a friend of mine believes its probably because its not a clean-rip or not edited or was recorded for a rehearsal of TGA before they begin since we got five days till that I believe and it makes sense they'd do some sort of rehearsal for that.

Edit: Nvm, I did some extra digging and found the leak, which originates from the vocaroo link, originated on 4chan. I think that pretty much shoots it down to a 99.9% chance of being fake.

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
I played a lot of Halo and I can tell that the voice is very similar, but happier.

I believe in this leak, maybe I'm being fooled, but it still seems super real.

Top Bottom