• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Got a few leak-related points to make, here.

Firstly, Sabi's shot down the Chief "leak". Hard to be surprised, of course. Anyway, let's hope for a post-pass slot. Actually, there's some potentially good news, with regard to that.

King Zell, who has previously leaked the announcements of Mario Maker 2 and Boxboy in the same Nintendo Direct, has alluded to a certain franchise coming to Switch. In fact, they said it would be comparable to seeing Mario on Playstation. People generally speculate this to be Halo. While, of course, it may not be, I would wager that it is. Such a notable franchise with nothing to do with Nintendo would most likely be heavily associated with a rival console--Xbox or Playstation. Currently, Sony isn't known for playing nice with other platforms, being the most restrictive of cross-play, and the most protective of their franchises. They are most likely quite comfortable keeping Kratos and the PS gang on their platform. That leaves Microsoft. Their most notable games, like Minecraft and Cuphead are already on Switch. Assuming this leak is still legit, Halo is pretty much the winner by process-of-elimination.

So, if Halo does appear on Switch, soon (MCC, most likely), that would naturally boost Chief's chances considerably. If it happens, we should pay attention to how it's revealed. If Microsoft or a general gaming event announces it, for example, that would be one thing. But if it is announced in a Nintendo Direct, that would be pretty big. Before Hero was shown off at E3, a prior Direct made a big show of announcing Dragon Quest 11 for the Switch, even in the western version of the Direct. Doom also had that Direct segment, though I believe it was not shown in the Japanese version--correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, that's a big rumor to keep an eye on.

Bonus Round: Sabi also tweeted this "No Dash?" hint on Twitter. It's assumed she's saying there will be no Smash at the Game Awards. Let's not get too excited about a reveal of any sort, let alone A Master Chief announcement.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I don't believe what Sabi spews in the slightest, but the "No Dash" thing seems more believable if FP5 isn't exciting enough for TGA.
The audio leak is probably fake but props for the good Cortana impression.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe what Sabi spews in the slightest, but the "No Dash" thing seems more believable if FP5 isn't exciting enough for TGA.
The audio leak is probably fake but props for the good Cortana impression.
Looks like you might be right about not trusting Sabi, this time. Apparently the tweet she thought was about Smash at the Game Awards had nothing to do with it, at all. Looks like a TGA reveal is as likely as ever.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Looks like you might be right about not trusting Sabi, this time. Apparently the tweet she thought was about Smash at the Game Awards had nothing to do with it, at all. Looks like a TGA reveal is as likely as ever.
I'll say Chief CAN be announced at TGA since he would be the most hype character to show and a good way to close the pass, BUT I also think Chief can be the first post-pass character to make people say "damn, if they got Master Chief in the game, then sure what's next must be crazy".
I'll go with the later to be honest.
At the very least I would love to see more of Infinite.
I think 343i said no Infinite news until next year's E3

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I'll say Chief CAN be announced at TGA since he would be the most hype character to show and a good way to close the pass, BUT I also think Chief can be the first post-pass character to make people say "damn, if they got Master Chief in the game, then sure what's next must be crazy".
I'll go with the later to be honest.

I think 343i said no Infinite news until next year's E3
I disagree. Chief is one of those characters that can only be announced at a big event like the the game awards. I don't think they're going to announce the mascot of Xbox to Smash on a random direct in feburary. Maybe in E3.

Well no Infinite is disappointing.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I disagree. Chief is one of those characters that can only be announced at a big event like the the game awards. I don't think they're going to announce the mascot of Xbox to Smash on a random direct in feburary. Maybe in E3.

Well no Infinite is disappointing.
Nintendo can decide to not show anything about a post-pass character until E3 and solely focus in FP5 for a Direct.
It already happened before so it's not a farfetched idea to have MC on E3 along with more info on Infinite (and maybe MCC on Switch).

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Man, I would love to see that leak turn out true. Either way, I am glad to see Master Chief has a chance. He is definitely one of the coolest video game characters. MCC for Switch, then Chief for Smash!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sabi and Vergeben have eliminated nearly any character that would have drive any excitement in the West. This makes me a little suspicious. There really isn't a character out there left that is worth a **** would you take in all of their eliminations.

Master Chief would be absolutely HUGE for Smash but I don't see that happening. I think DoomGuy would get in before the Chief. I would also put Lara Croft and Tracer's chances as FPS characters over Master Chief. The reason being is that Halo just isn't popular in Japan and Sakurai is primarily appealing to Japanese audiences in his picks to date.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Sabi and Vergeben have eliminated nearly any character that would have drive any excitement in the West. This makes me a little suspicious. There really isn't a character out there left that is worth a **** would you take in all of their eliminations.

Master Chief would be absolutely HUGE for Smash but I don't see that happening. I think DoomGuy would get in before the Chief. I would also put Lara Croft and Tracer's chances as FPS characters over Master Chief. The reason being is that Halo just isn't popular in Japan and Sakurai is primarily appealing to Japanese audiences in his picks to date.
Then, Doom Slayer has even less chance than Master Chief. Just think back for few moment. How popular is Doom in Japan? Definitely way less than Halo. I still remember Bungie devs having a match against Japanese Halo team. Halo also got Japanese anime treatment. Japanese artist drawing comic.
Banjo got in because of western demand. People constantly doubted their chance despite Phil Spencer's word. Look where we are right now.

doomsmash.PNG

This is another good measure.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet

I don't trust neither of them so I'll say everyone still has a chance for FP5.
Tomb Raider is also not a FPS, it's a TPS with more focus on platforming than shooting, and I don't see OW getting in if Activision is on the run (much more likely that is Crash or a War/Starcraft rep).
And Halo actually has a decent fanbase in Japan, the franchise had a push there (with various media made in japan) and Halo 3 sold well for a western ip on the 360, a console that didn't catch with Japan.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Then, Doom Slayer has even less chance than Master Chief. Just think back for few moment. How popular is Doom in Japan? Definitely way less than Halo. I still remember Bungie devs having a match against Japanese Halo team. Halo also got Japanese anime treatment. Japanese artist drawing comic.
Banjo got in because of western demand. People constantly doubted their chance despite Phil Spencer's word. Look where we are right now.

View attachment 251079
This is another good measure.
All the people calling Doomguy "Samus" is funny, in a way. It's what we get for calling Hero "Goku" and complaining about anime swordsmen.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Master Chief would crash the internet more than Doom Guy and is more popular in the West as well. However, I just don't see it happening. In fact, if you want to get the two biggest crash the internet characters left, I would go with Sora at #1 and probably Master Chief at #2. Lara Croft would also be another one that would crash the internet.

All three are on the Sonic/Megaman/Pacman/Cloud/Ryu third-party level.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78235954

We’re back on the table the Microsoft part was probably faulty
Yeah. Something was fishy with all those companies deconfirmed... Those were too many.
King Zell's statement is still on the table. Microsoft no longer sees Nintendo as a rival. I think they are starting to see Switch as Xbox handheld as they want to expand Xbox ecosystem. And there have been many MCC Switch leaks...

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
While it's nice not to see Microsoft shot down, I don't think they would reveal Chief at TGA. After all, a lot of Eastern fans are waiting for a reveal, too, and they would be disappointed to see such an unknown character to them. Like with Banjo/Hero, Chief kinda requires another character to be revealed alongside him. I think that'll only happen at E3, unless there's a double reveal in store for us at the Awards: DLC 5, and the first post-pass character. If Chief really is planned for the game, I don't think we'll see him for a while.
And there have been many MCC Switch leaks...
Would you be able to share them?

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
What's stopping them from pulling a double reveal? The VGAs are at America so they should reveal an American character. Then they walk out on stage and say "we have one more reveal" and they show the next character to start Season 2.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
What's stopping them from pulling a double reveal? The VGAs are at America so they should reveal an American character. Then they walk out on stage and say "we have one more reveal" and they show the next character to start Season 2.
Those double reveals have only happened at E3 or Smash-specific Directs, iirc. Not that it couldn't happen, but it doesn't have much in the way of precedent. Also, the last character revealed at TGA was Joker, who isn't exactly an all-American hero. All Nintendo needs is a character the East and West can both recognize, ya know?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
While it's nice not to see Microsoft shot down, I don't think they would reveal Chief at TGA. After all, a lot of Eastern fans are waiting for a reveal, too, and they would be disappointed to see such an unknown character to them. Like with Banjo/Hero, Chief kinda requires another character to be revealed alongside him. I think that'll only happen at E3, unless there's a double reveal in store for us at the Awards: DLC 5, and the first post-pass character. If Chief really is planned for the game, I don't think we'll see him for a while.

Would you be able to share them?
Sorry. I should've said rumor. I was saying what I heard. Other guy already said the same thing before me in this thread.

Do you know ratio of Ultimate player base? West/east? I don't think Halo is that unknown. Sales doesn't always equal recognition. Look at Undertale as example. The stuff I mentioned regarding Japan should be good indicator.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Sorry. I should've said rumor. I was saying what I heard. Other guy already said the same thing before me in this thread.

Do you know ratio of Ultimate player base? West/east? I don't think Halo is that unknown. Sales doesn't always equal recognition. Look at Undertale as example. The stuff I mentioned regarding Japan should be good indicator.
Around Feb/March of this year, Ultimate had sold around 3 million copies in Japan and 5 million in the U.S. Idk about other countries. As for Halo's sales in Japan, I found that Halo 1, 2 and 3 only sold around 300,000 copies combined. You'd pretty much have to be an inverse-weeb to know about Halo, over there. I could be convinced that Japanese people heavily invested in gaming know very vaguely about it, in the same way that those in gaming circles here would know obscure Japanese games.

Basically, Chief would be for the west alone, as any eastern support he'd have would be negligible.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Japan knows about Halo & Chief, at least a bit more than other FPS franchises.
Chief is as likely as he was before, be either TGA announcement or post-pass fighter.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do feel like we will get a double reveal. I have a feeling Geno will show up somewhere soon although Geno won't be FP5. I agree with most people with that regard. I would love to see Master Chief just for the hype it would generate.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Master Chief as the announcement for the begin of Fighter Pack 2 would probably increase sales over here. I mean, if they are putting Master Chief in, then who else could they be adding???

So, I am seeing so many conflicting opinions on the "leaked audio." Has anyone came forward yet and stated that it was them who did it? Or are we still trying to sort through that?

Also, really glad to see this thread gaining more traction. Come on, Chief!

volbound1700

Smash Master
Where did you hear that from? Would be super awesome.
He knows a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy who is related to a girl that knows a guy that is Sakurai's best friend and has already played Dante and Chief in a demo with Sakurai.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
He knows a guy who knows a guy who knows another guy who is related to a girl that knows a guy that is Sakurai's best friend and has already played Dante and Chief in a demo with Sakurai.
That's all I needed to know. Super. Hyped. Now!!!

/s

Seriously, though, I have seen others talk about leakers here and there. Just didn't know if someone reputable dropped some info somewhere. That's all.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Those double reveals have only happened at E3 or Smash-specific Directs, iirc. Not that it couldn't happen, but it doesn't have much in the way of precedent. Also, the last character revealed at TGA was Joker, who isn't exactly an all-American hero.
Why does everything need a precedent? They announced a second season so what better place to do a double reveal than at the VGAs?

Other fighting games have done multiple reveals in one go. In fact, just today Tekken 7 announced three new characters (two new and one returning).

All Nintendo needs is a character the East and West can both recognize, ya know?
Joker was definitely not that character. Why can't we get a character that only we know about? Joker and Hero are basically only known about in Japan. Chief needs to show up and be the USA-centric character.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Why does everything need a precedent? They announced a second season so what better place to do a double reveal than at the VGAs?

Other fighting games have done multiple reveals in one go. In fact, just today Tekken 7 announced three new characters (two new and one returning).

Joker was definitely not that character. Why can't we get a character that only we know about? Joker and Hero are basically only known about in Japan. Chief needs to show up and be the USA-centric character.
Yeah, Joker isn't a major player in the U.S, or anything, but he was previously at the Game Awards; Persona 5 was even nominated for Game of the Year! I get the sense that Joker and Terry are in similar boats. General audiences are unfamiliar with them, but fans of their respective genera will know them well. I'm still of the opinion that they wouldn't reveal Chief alone, and hang their own audience out to dry.

Fighter 5 is Dante.
Fighter 6 is Master Chief.

Both are being revealed at the Game Awards.
Bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
That's what I was wondering. Figured speculation, but with the [insert character] is in, I wasn't so sure.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't mind Nintendo putting in Japanese characters as that is their target market but so far it is 3-1 on the Japan vs. Other/World characters. Terry is perhaps a maybe since apparently he is popular in the HUGE video game market that is South America (I hope you notice the sarcasm dripping from my sentence).

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind Nintendo putting in Japanese characters as that is their target market but so far it is 3-1 on the Japan vs. Other/World characters. Terry is perhaps a maybe since apparently he is popular in the HUGE video game market that is South America (I hope you notice the sarcasm dripping from my sentence).
Latin America is a relevant place, too, and appealing to many corners of the world is a good idea. It's hard to criticize Nintendo for the somewhat Japanese focus, given... they're a Japanese company. We should keep that in mind when discussing such a predominantly western character, and feel thankful for the occasional Ridleys or Banjos they offer us.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Latin America is a relevant place, too, and appealing to many corners of the world is a good idea. It's hard to criticize Nintendo for the somewhat Japanese focus, given... they're a Japanese company. We should keep that in mind when discussing such a predominantly western character, and feel thankful for the occasional Ridleys or Banjos they offer us.
Not really. I work for a Japanese company and another before it. Both in the automotive/tire industry. The focus is on the US market because it is basically the largest consumer market in the globe. If Nintendo was wanting to play this well, they would pick characters big for both markets. They started out very well with that but have lapsed. Let me show examples below with third-party DLC.

1. Snake
2. Sonic
3. Megaman
4. Pacman
5. Ryu
6. Cloud
7. Bayonetta - Stuff started to fall a part here. She was popular in both markets but was the first controversial pick, IMO because the opinion was that there were better options out there.
8. Simon Belmont - Nintendo got back on track here. Simon is popular in both markets. However, Nintendo messed up at E3 by making Bomberman an AT instead of an actual character. Bomberman is popular in both markets as well.
9. Richter Belmont - same as Simon
10. Ken
11. Joker - Here was the first terrible pick. Not popular in US, Europe, etc.
12. Hero - Again a Japanese centric pick but at least known outside of Japan
13. Banjo-Kazooie - I am not sure if Banjo is popular in Japan?
14. Terry Bougard?

A good DLC strategy would have done the following

Replace Bayonetta with Simon Belmont
Replace Simon Belmont's Ultimate include with Bomberman (since Simon would already be in with this scenario)
Replace Joker with Geno (highly requested character in Smash fanbase for both polls. Geno as the FP1 character would have been epic and driven hype. Another option would have been Banjo then)
Replace Terry Bougard with Ryu Hayabusa
Have FP5 be Sora.

FP6 should be Lara Croft
FP7 should be DoomGuy or Master Chief
FP8 should be Crash Bandicoot
FP9 should be another Pokemon since Pokemon is still Huge
FP10 Waluigi or some other Nintendo character (I like the idea of bringing back Golden Sun with Issac)

No one can argue that the strategy above would have been far more popular and profitable with Nintendo. I removed the weak links and put stronger picks.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Nah, they've done pretty well with DLC. Someone like Chief should be the rare exception, rather than the norm

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
All this deconfirmation ****'s exhausting tbh.
It's just putting a noose on speculation and slowly tightening it.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Look man, FP5 or post-pass or what, as long as I get Chief or Solaire, I'm a happy camper.
If that KOS-MOS leak pans out, by the way, we can expect exactly four post-pass characters. Not such bad odds.

Top Bottom