• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Yes. Bring on Doomslayer, Master Chief and Earthworm Jim. American badasses who will show these sword pansies the power of the second amendment.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I'd honestly be surprised if Master Chief doesn't get in at this point given Microsoft's involvement and 343 having said that they would like to see Chief in Smash. Sakurai said that they will never see a crossover like this again, given how generous Microsoft has been with Banjo, it is hard not to see Sakurai taking the opportunity to get a mascot of a rival console.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'd honestly be surprised if Master Chief doesn't get in at this point given Microsoft's involvement and 343 having said that they would like to see Chief in Smash. Sakurai said that they will never see a crossover like this again, given how generous Microsoft has been with Banjo, it is hard not to see Sakurai taking the opportunity to get a mascot of a rival console.
Yeah, I can 100% see this. Some people might say Nintendo wouldn't want Chief on their platform in any shape or capacity, but... y'know... he's technically already on it thanks to Minecraft, so with a season 2, potentially 3, I can see Chief having really good chances now.

If it wasn't for that more DLC characters announcement, I'd probably be complaining that Sans got a special mii costume and Chief didn't but... with the fact we got that announcement, I'm happy Chief still has the chance to finish the fight.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I can 100% see this. Some people might say Nintendo wouldn't want Chief on their platform in any shape or capacity, but... y'know... he's technically already on it thanks to Minecraft, so with a season 2, potentially 3, I can see Chief having really good chances now.

If it wasn't for that more DLC characters announcement, I'd probably be complaining that Sans got a special mii costume and Chief didn't but... with the fact we got that announcement, I'm happy Chief still has the chance to finish the fight.
That's the biggest takeaway from the announcement of further DLC; previously disconfirmed characters are ostensibly back on the table. Master Chief, Sora, Dante, Travis Touchdown and some others I'm probably forgetting all might be reasonable considerations again.

However, Sakurai said that further DLC characters aren't just confirmed, but they've already started developing them. This means they would have to have aqcuired the rights even earlier than that and, presumably, established NDA's on the subject. Do we know the last time a Microsoft/343 employee commented on Chief in Smash? If it's particularly recent, it may sour his chances, still. If not, though, it could get interesting.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If it's particularly recent, it may sour his chances, still. If not, though, it could get interesting.
I think the last tweet to talk about Chief in Smash was the official Halo Twitter responding to the question, "If you could bring any character into Smash Bros, who would it be," all the way back in April.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Besides not having a game on a Nintendo system I say doomguy is the only roadblock since he’s more likely than chief and probably similar moveset

But who knows maybe the biggest miracle will happen of a halo game on Nintendo and then chief himself in smash

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I think the last tweet to talk about Chief in Smash was the official Halo Twitter responding to the question, "If you could bring any character into Smash Bros, who would it be," all the way back in April.
And before that would've been Frank OConnors response to Zef, deconfirming the character.

And before that would've been Frank OConnors response to Zef, deconfirming the character.
Besides not having a game on a Nintendo system I say doomguy is the only roadblock since he’s more likely than chief and probably similar moveset

But who knows maybe the biggest miracle will happen of a halo game on Nintendo and then chief himself in smash
We have 3 guests from turn based RPGs, 2 fighting game characters and 4 platformers. We can have multiple shooters. What's more Doomguy has a much more in your face and aggressive fighting style compared to Chief.The fact that Doomguys favorite weapon is a shotgun vs Chief's assault rifles should make this obvious.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
People say having Doomslayer would negate Chief, but...

View attachment 236921
I don't even want doom guy. His gun and equipment selection is boring compared to someone like like MC, or The forgotten slept on Duke Nukum with his Jetpack, shrink ray, frezzthrower, holograms, many explosives, his mighty boot.

What does Doomguy have. A chainsaw and A BFG. Duke Has 2 BFGs. and a jetpack.

Only bad thing about Duke Nukum was the extream hate DNF got.

Lu Wang from Sgadow Warrior would be a more interesting choice tham Doom guy.

Hell doomguy doesn't even talk or grunt. He has no personality.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Those aren't the only weapons. He's got Glory Kills, a giant handheld railgun in the form of the Gauss Cannon, a large double-barreled shotgun, a minigun, a rocket launcher, a metric crapton of Mods to said weapons (One special Mod in particular is the Meat Hook, a large grappling hook that drags him towards demons), and as of Doom Eternal, an arm-mounted blade, a shoulder-mounted cannon and a giant sword made of raw Hell energy in the form of an artifact called the Crucible.

On top of that, Master Chief and Doom Slayer can play much differently from one another. The former could be more about positioning and flat-out strategic zoning while the latter's playstyle would definitely be a super-mobile hybrid between rushdown and zoner with his wide variety of guns and ability to deal brutal damage at close range. Regardless of whether their design is similar, Doom Slayer and Master Chief have many differences. Not to mention, comparing DS to MC in terms of how they play just from their respective games is like comparing Link to Hero in terms of how they play just from their respective games.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Those aren't the only weapons. He's got Glory Kills, a giant handheld railgun in the form of the Gauss Cannon, a large double-barreled shotgun, a minigun, a rocket launcher, a metric crapton of Mods to said weapons (One special Mod in particular is the Meat Hook, a large grappling hook that drags him towards demons), and as of Doom Eternal, an arm-mounted blade, a shoulder-mounted cannon and a giant sword made of raw Hell energy in the form of an artifact called the Crucible.

On top of that, Master Chief and Doom Slayer can play much differently from one another. The former could be more about positioning and flat-out strategic zoning while the latter's playstyle would definitely be a super-mobile hybrid between rushdown and zoner with his wide variety of guns and ability to deal brutal damage at close range. Regardless of whether their design is similar, Doom Slayer and Master Chief have many differences. Not to mention, comparing DS to MC in terms of how they play just from their respective games is like comparing Link to Hero in terms of how they play just from their respective games.
Oh so basic boring real firearms. how unque and unlike Smash.

like Dukes guns and equipment would make for killer combos.

Duke also fits in more of the cartoon world of Smash.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah, let's not **** talk other characters in my thread. Thanks.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Oh so basic boring firearms.
They're anything but basic and boring. The Gauss Cannon fires magnetically propelled steel fletchettes that deal immense damage on impact. And again, there's Weapon Mods. There's the Stun Bomb for his other weapon, the Plasma Rifle, which paralyzes enemies in range, the Mobile Turret for the Chaingun, which splits it into three separate barrels and fires thrice as faster than normal at the risk of overheating, the aforementioned Meat Hook for the Super Shotgun, the Lock-On Burst function that locks onto opponents and shoots a burst of three homing rockets, the Micro Missiles for another weapon called the Heavy Cannon that fire six tiny rockets at once to rack up the damage, the Charged Burst mod for the normal shotgun that fires three shots in quick consecutive order, the Microwave Beam for the Plasma Rifle in Doom Eternal, which can instantly kill enemies if you fry them with it for long enough, a remote detonation mod for the rocket launcher for if you miss that shot but want to blow them up anyway, and there's probably some we haven't seen yet in Doom Eternal.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
They're anything but basic and boring. The Gauss Cannon fires magnetically propelled steel fletchettes that deal immense damage on impact. And again, there's Weapon Mods. There's the Stun Bomb for his other weapon, the Plasma Rifle, which paralyzes enemies in range, the Mobile Turret for the Chaingun, which splits it into three separate barrels and fires thrice as faster than normal at the risk of overheating, the aforementioned Meat Hook for the Super Shotgun, the Lock-On Burst function that locks onto opponents and shoots a burst of three homing rockets, the Micro Missiles for another weapon called the Heavy Cannon that fire six tiny rockets at once to rack up the damage, the Charged Burst mod for the normal shotgun that fires three shots in quick consecutive order, the Microwave Beam for the Plasma Rifle in Doom Eternal, which can instantly kill enemies if you fry them with it for long enough, a remote detonation mod for the rocket launcher for if you miss that shot but want to blow them up anyway, and there's probably some we haven't seen yet in Doom Eternal.
Well said. But I just don't see a lot of that working out on a technical level now. Seems complex and OP

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I never checked this thread out but since there's hope for Master Chief I say let's give our boy a go add me to the list I've liked Chief ever since I was a kid I grew up with him so I'd love to fight with him with all these other dope characters hell the music he'd bring alone makes me want him I say we gotta show Nintendo that this friendship with Microsoft needs to lead to a crossover no one thought could happen

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, don't be insular about a series you haven't played to the fullest or at least to a decent degree. That goes for Doom, Halo, or anything really.

PsychoJosh

Eh, I do like Doom a little bit, but Master Chief just edges him out in the "cool weapons" department. Doomslayer's weapons are a little too vanilla compared to Chief who has crazy things like energy swords and gravity hammers.

Although that is remedied a bit by Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal where he has weapon mods and some kind of demon-slaying hellsword respectively.

Also the main thing holding back Doom is its heavily judeo-christian inspired iconography since it uses classic biblical depictions of demons and hell. Bayonetta got away with it due to having very creative and unique angel designs instead of classical ones.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I want Master Chief more just because I've played way more Halo in my life.

That said, DOOM 2016 was a really fun game and Doom Slayer could be cool too assuming they make his playstyle aggressive and his attacks "crunchy."

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I wasn't talking ****. don't be a fan boy. I was giving facts

a shorgun would never be in Smash and a mini gun would be annoying and a spaming fest.
i don't know why your in the halo thread to diss doom lol why don't ya take that passion somewhere else like GameFAQs while your at it make a thread for the duke since you like him so much

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
You should really play Doom, atleast Doom 2016. Doom is anything BUT boring.
I'm saying as a fighter in Smash bros.

i don't know why your in the halo thread to diss doom lol why don't ya take that passion somewhere else like GameFAQs while your at it make a thread for the duke since you like him so much
I was just giving my two cents.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash has room for Link, Marth, Marth, Link, Marth, Shulk, Link, Marth and Marth I think we can do two dudes in power armor.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Apparently Banjo's appearance and Sakurai saying Banjo is on XBox caused a surge in XBox interest in Japan, being the top Twitter search of the day

Bet Microsoft is kicking themselves now. All they needed to say was "it's the console with Banjo on it" and they'd have not floundered so horribly.

It definitely looks like this crossover has paid off and more may be coming.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Apparently Banjo's appearance and Sakurai saying Banjo is on XBox caused a surge in XBox interest in Japan, being the top Twitter search of the day

Bet Microsoft is kicking themselves now. All they needed to say was "it's the console with Banjo on it" and they'd have not floundered so horribly.

It definitely looks like this crossover has paid off and more may be coming.
Cheif would benefit from this the most since he's exclusively on Xbox Cheif would be far more likely than steve who is on everything that would show how good Nintendo and Microsoft are with each other

Matadormon

Smash Apprentice
Idk if someone has said this before, but given the fact that leakers (a long time ago) are claiming that Master Chief Collection is coming to the Switch, this.... kind of "boosts" Master Chief's chances a bit further...? I think that Microsoft is not ready to announce the MCC on the Switch yet probably because they want to use Smash Bros. as promotion material.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I don't even want doom guy. His gun and equipment selection is boring compared to someone like like MC, or The forgotten slept on Duke Nukum with his Jetpack, shrink ray, frezzthrower, holograms, many explosives, his mighty boot.

Only bad thing about Duke Nukum was the extream hate DNF got.

Lu Wang from Sgadow Warrior would be a more interesting choice tham Doom guy.

Hell doomguy doesn't even talk or grunt. He has no personality.
Why don't you go to Doomguy's thread and ask this question. Really, what's the point of knocking him on a thread where his fans are not with rhetorical questions?

Chief has a lot going for him, and taking potshots at his "competition" doesn't do him any favors and instead seems desperate and insecure. Fandom rivalries are stupid, so let's not start one here. You're giving your 2 cents sure, but there's no harm in researching too.

PsychoJosh

Master Chief is infinitely more likely than Steve if Microsoft gets a second character, for the main reason being that he is the official mascot of their Xbox division and a character that they truly created. Steve is not even a creation of theirs and even people who worked on Minecraft don't want Steve in the game.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

Maybe someday people will actually ****ing listen so I don't have to sound like a broken record.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Hi. I have been lurking around this forum. I finally decided to make my first post here.

I used to play Smash back during college year due to my friends. I bought Wii, so my friends and I could enjoy. We also enjoyed Halo 3 together. Since then, my gaming habit slowly changed. Right now, I mostly play on PC. I looked through Chief making it into Smash on various sites. I want to go over few statements.

He has never been in Nintendo system!
I think Microsoft can make that up by working with Gamepass on Switch. Joker was added after Q2 which wasn't that much of time gap that and Smash Ultimate. And Sakurai never said anything about being in Nintendo system. It's possible that MS is hiding something big related to Nintendo. They are interested in expanding Xbox ecosystem further. Switch is not a competitor, but another free ecosystem to latch on. I mean it's much better and efficient to work on Switch than developing entirely new handheld system. Master Chief in Smash would boost recognition of Xbox brand like how Banjo sparked interest on Xbox in Japan. I see benefit outweighing loss in case of Chief getting into Smash. Overwatch is also good example of getting their character simultaneously on Switch and Smash at the same time. Even without stuff mentioned above, we may hear people saying "Well, at least Chief had cameo on Minecraft Switch" in the future.

Frank deconfirmed him!
I looked at the quote. He said Chief is currently not in DLC. That doesn't sound like outright deconfirmation for future release. Even then, he outright denied Halo 2 anniversary. So there is precedent for doubt.

Halo has been in decline, so who cares!?
True, but it's still massive. At its peak, Halo was fairly popular even in Japan. A certain famous Japanese band was fan. Sakurai also said fond memory of playing Halo 2. If you bring this argument, then Banjo doesn't make sense either because he has been bottom of fame for a decade outside Smash community, but look where we are at. Halo 5 was reported to sell 5 million, and that's not counting digital sales. (With Gamepass it would be even more) That 5 million figure is still more than Doom 2016 sales. Sorry for bringing this up. If you bring "Lack of presence of Xbox and Halo in Japan," that argument works against Doom Slayer as well.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It's worth remembering that when the primary form of multiplayer against stranger was showing up to at the local community center with your XBlock/Handle cube Halo 2 was the only game bigger than Melee.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hi. I have been lurking around this forum. I finally decided to make my first post here.

I used to play Smash back during college year due to my friends. I bought Wii, so my friends and I could enjoy. We also enjoyed Halo 3 together. Since then, my gaming habit slowly changed. Right now, I mostly play on PC. I looked through Chief making it into Smash on various sites. I want to go over few statements.

I think Microsoft can make that up by working with Gamepass on Switch. Joker was added after Q2 which wasn't that much of time gap that and Smash Ultimate. And Sakurai never said anything about being in Nintendo system. It's possible that MS is hiding something big related to Nintendo. They are interested in expanding Xbox ecosystem further. Switch is not a competitor, but another free ecosystem to latch on. I mean it's much better and efficient to work on Switch than developing entirely new handheld system. Master Chief in Smash would boost recognition of Xbox brand like how Banjo sparked interest on Xbox in Japan. I see benefit outweighing loss in case of Chief getting into Smash. Overwatch is also good example of getting their character simultaneously on Switch and Smash at the same time. Even without stuff mentioned above, we may hear people saying "Well, at least Chief had cameo on Minecraft Switch" in the future.

I looked at the quote. He said Chief is currently not in DLC. That doesn't sound like outright deconfirmation for future release. Even then, he outright denied Halo 2 anniversary. So there is precedent for doubt.

True, but it's still massive. At its peak, Halo was fairly popular even in Japan. A certain famous Japanese band was fan. Sakurai also said fond memory of playing Halo 2. If you bring this argument, then Banjo doesn't make sense either because he has been bottom of fame for a decade outside Smash community, but look where we are at. Halo 5 was reported to sell 5 million, and that's not counting digital sales. (With Gamepass it would be even more) That 5 million figure is still more than Doom 2016 sales. Sorry for bringing this up. If you bring "Lack of presence of Xbox and Halo in Japan," that argument works against Doom Slayer as well.
TBH people's "this series is in decline" "this series isn't popular!" arguments don't hold up. Most of the newcomers from Ultimate were at the risk of being lost to time, with the exception of Inkling, Isabelle, Joker, Hero and Ken.

Ridley was written off as "too big" so conventional wisdom said he's not happening. K. Rool and Banjo were neglected by their owners and vanished for at least 10 years while their series moved on or died. Dark Samus and Richter were the focus of bygone eras in their series whose stories wrapped up completely, and in Dark Samus's case killed off completely without hope of ever returning. Daisy's a mainstay in spinoffs but overlooked on instinct due to being treated like Yellow Peach. Incineroar is the flavor of the month from Pokemon who will eventually be seen as "that Pokemon who got in Smash" like a couple other Pokemon are already. Outside of the Netflix show, Castlevania has nothing going on, and Simon's not even in it. All Fatal Fury has planned is to tend to its dust collection.

Does that mean these characters aren't worth much? Nah, it just means that Ultimate is uplifting good characters from the past who are drowning in obscurity. People who say "Halo's not popular anymore" are ignoring the fact that Ultimate is boosting characters who are mostly forgotten. Halo's decline shouldn't stop people from wanting Master Chief, cuz it's nothing compared to what most of Ultimate's newcomers went through.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
TBH people's "this series is in decline" "this series isn't popular!" arguments don't hold up. Most of the newcomers from Ultimate were at the risk of being lost to time, with the exception of Inkling, Isabelle, Joker, Hero and Ken.
Don't forget that when Sonic and Mega Man were added to Smash, their series were in declines aswell.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Don't forget that when Sonic and Mega Man were added to Smash, their series were in declines aswell.
Yea, Mega Man especially. Sonic stayed "relevant" but he was getting mocked mercilessly due to certain fans and some very embarrassing games. Mega Man would've been long dead if he didn't show up in Smash 4 and Capcom wouldn't have made Mega Man 11. They're icons no doubt but they hit some very ugly lows.

Chief luckily for all 343's bad ideas has only been half as bad at worst. He's still functioning and he still makes Microsoft tons of money. That can't be said for a lot of Smash's guest fighters and their parent companies.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Is it possible that they already negotiated Chief regarding Smash behind curtain?
Maybe, we don't know, Microsoft would really waste a huge opportunity here, because putting Chief in Smash would make sure people get hype for Infinite or MCC on PC (or maybe a switch port).

Top Bottom