• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would the meta-game change?

Steam

Smash Hero
one local proves nothing. sonic got 2 spots in top 8 at MLG dallas. that does not prove sonic is top tier and that was a national...

besides. you haven't even showed us who else went.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
one local proves nothing. sonic got 2 spots in top 8 at MLG dallas. that does not prove sonic is top tier and that was a national...

besides. you haven't even showed us who else went.

1st - Tyrant
2nd - Tearbear
3rd - MikeHAZE
4th - Phoenix
5th - Bardull/Commander Beef
7th - Zekey/DSF
9th - Pitbull/Vato_Break

Tyrant - Marth/Game and Watch
Tearbear - Falco/Luigi/ROB
MikeHAZE - Marth/Wario/Falco
Phoenix - Sonic
Bardull - Marth
Cbeef - D3
Zekey - D3
DSF - Snake?
Pitbull - Lucario/Sheik
Vato - Diddy

There were about 20 entrants

Steam

Smash Hero
mikehaze didn't even go all marth. you sure they were even taking it seriously or just testing out new characters? :/

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
This tournament proves that it is possible for 2 Meta Knight mains to perform well without using Meta Knight.

This tournament does not prove that Meta Knight is not broken or ban-worthy.
But what proof do we have of MK being broken other than top MK players consistently placing in the money

@ steam, new characters are going to have to be tested in an MK banned tournament since most players lost their mains and secondaries.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Um... no disadvantageous match-ups... Requiring a specific rule to make sure he isn't completely over-powered (ledge-grab limit)... No bad stages... Players OTHER than Tearbear/Tyrant consistently placing in the money...

And like Steam said, it doesn't even look like Mike tried, from looking at the results. Do you know if he used Marth against Tearbear and Tyrant?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Um... no disadvantageous match-ups... Requiring a specific rule to make sure he isn't completely over-powered (ledge-grab limit)... No bad stages... Players OTHER than Tearbear/Tyrant consistently placing in the money...

And like Steam said, it doesn't even look like Mike tried, from looking at the results.
Melee Fox and 64 Pikachu also have no disadvantageous MUs. The ledge grab limit is enforced on all characters. FD is a bad stage for MK.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Melee Fox has a disadvantage against Falco and Marth. Smash 64 and Melee's match-up ratios are also a lot closer than Brawl's. So even though Pikachu has no bad match-ups, every match-up is close to even anyway.

The ledge-grab limit is lower for Meta Knight, so his planking is obviously more broken than everyone else's. Oh, and if we took away the global LGL, no one suddenly becomes broken. If we take away MK's LGL, he becomes insanely over-powered.

Meta Knight still beats every character on FD.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Melee Fox has a disadvantage against Falco and Marth.

The ledge-grab limit is lower for Meta Knight, so his planking is obviously more broken than everyone else's. Oh, and if we took away the global LGL, no one suddenly becomes broken. If we take away MK's LGL, he becomes insanely over-powered.

Meta Knight still beats every character on FD.
Even though I don't believe you, that still leaves SSB 64 Pikachu. In SOCAL we've always had the LGL set to 35 for every character and there was never a problem. I don't know why the BBR thinks that every other character needs 50 ledge grabs. They've also already found proof that MK's perfect planking is beatable.

MK loses to ICs, Diddy and Fox on FD

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
It doesn't need to be unbeatable to be broken. I don't think I would ever lose a non-ditto match-up if there was no LGL.

And you don't believe me about Melee Fox's match-ups? Lol, do you even play Melee? Fox hasn't won a major in years and almost all of the top players would agree that he loses those match-ups, if only slightly.

Meta Knight does not lose to Ice Climbers on FD. Or Diddy. Or Fox.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
It doesn't need to be unbeatable to be broken. I don't think I would ever lose a non-ditto match-up if there was no LGL.

And you don't believe me about Melee Fox's match-ups? Lol, do you even play Melee? Fox hasn't won a major in years and almost all of the top players would agree that he loses those match-ups, if only slightly.

Meta Knight does not lose to Ice Climbers on FD. Or Diddy. Or Fox.
MK loses to Diddy slightly on FD.

sorry for the double post

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Why? Having no bad match-ups doesn't mean a character should be banned, but it helps support a case that they should be banned. Pikachu doesn't have anything else that would warrant him being banned.

Name-searching ADHD, M2K, Ally and Gnes. Does MK lose to Diddy on FD?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Why? Having no bad match-ups doesn't mean a character should be banned, but it helps support a case that they should be banned. Pikachu doesn't have anything else that would warrant him being banned.

Name-searching ADHD, M2K, Ally and Gnes. Does MK lose to Diddy on FD?
What else does he need? he has no bad MUs.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
Um... how about being a dominating force in the competitive scene to the point of winning 50%~ of tournament money?

Or having a broken tactic that is limited by the rule-set to prevent him from being even more over-powered than he currently is?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Um... how about being a dominating force in the competitive scene to the point of winning 50%~ of tournament money?

Or having a broken tactic that is limited by the rule-set to prevent him from being even more over-powered than he currently is?
I have shown proof that MK players can win tournaments even without having to use MK. If MK is really the only reason that we have a LGL, then why is it that the BBR added it to the rule set after Will (DK) planked his way to victory against Rich brown?

Shockna

Smash Cadet
What else does he need? he has no bad MUs.
Perhaps massively better recovery options, the best planking in the game, and ridiculous over centralization mean something too? Oversimplification is a logical fallacy for a reason.

I have shown proof that MK players can win tournaments even without having to use MK. If MK is really the only reason that we have a LGL, then why is it that the BBR added it to the rule set after Will (DK) planked his way to victory against Rich brown?
Was it ever argued that they wouldn't? The very top of any game tend to be there for more than just a character; a MK ban, however, would have a direct, proven positive impact on mid-high level play, as well as make Brawl a more interesting game for spectators.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
@Jebus
Because the BBR-RC is appealing to the community's dislike for campy gameplay.

You have shown proof that TWO MK players can still win in a LOCAL tournament where there was only one other good player who might have been sand-bagging.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
@Jebus
Because the BBR-RC is appealing to the community's dislike for campy gameplay.

You have shown proof that TWO MK players can still win in a LOCAL tournament where there was only one other good player who might have been sand-bagging.
Well then I guess we can't blame only MK for the LGL. I also like how smashers naturally assume a player is sand bagging or isn't trying when they don't place where they think they should. It always happens with Mango.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
...No... I'm assuming he sand-bagged because he used characters that aren't his main.
What are you talking about? He did go Marth. There were two really good DDDs in that tournament so I don't think he would have used Marth in that MU. He also needed a character that would be good on stages like RC and Brinstar.

Tesh

Smash Hero
That tournament....It looked like Tearbear, Mikehaze and Tyrant were the only notable people there anyway. Show me a cali mk banned tournament where Tyrant/Tearbear etc. win over DEHF (and whoever else u have good over there *shrug*).

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
That tournament....It looked like Tearbear, Mikehaze and Tyrant were the only notable people there anyway. Show me a cali mk banned tournament where Tyrant/Tearbear etc. win over DEHF (and whoever else u have good over there *shrug*).
Zekey is a ranked player. DSF, Vato Break, Commander Beef and Bardull were all ranked at some point (Beef was supposed to be ranked but he didn't want to be in the rankings). DEHF, Rich Brown and Havok still have trouble playing against Mike. These results would pretty much stay the same if MK wasn't banned.

C.J.

Smash Master
What are you talking about? He did go Marth. There were two really good DDDs in that tournament so I don't think he would have used Marth in that MU. He also needed a character that would be good on stages like RC and Brinstar.
Lol? Marth is amazing on Brinstar and pretty good on RC too (just not so much vs MK).

Also, ranked at one point... cool story bro. Why aren't they ranked now? If they never play, that's one thing. But a lot of them just aren't as good as they were/didn't get better. Who cares if they WERE ranked? Doesn't mean anything.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Lol? Marth is amazing on Brinstar and pretty good on RC too (just not so much vs MK).

Also, ranked at one point... cool story bro. Why aren't they ranked now? If they never play, that's one thing. But a lot of them just aren't as good as they were/didn't get better. Who cares if they WERE ranked? Doesn't mean anything.
Marth is not good on Brinstar or RC. He's just a really good character. He loses to characters who do not get completely owned by him and are good on those stages.

If those players were ranked at one point, then that means that they are not just randoms.

Results: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=12332

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Tyrant and Tearbear are really good, yes. I don't think anyone debates that. The fact that those two are better players than everyone else there doesn't = MK being broken or not broken.

MK doesn't have to do with anything there.

I could have said: "Fonz won an MK banned tournament in the Midwest. This means MK is broken." and I would look equally as dumb to the people who replied to you as you might look to them.

:phone:

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Tyrant and Tearbear are really good, yes. I don't think anyone debates that. The fact that those two are better players than everyone else there doesn't = MK being broken or not broken.

MK doesn't have to do with anything there.

I could have said: "Fonz won an MK banned tournament in the Midwest. This means MK is broken." and I would look equally as dumb to the people who replied to you as you might look to them.

Look at it this way. If this tournament was not MK banned, Tyrant's winnings would be added to MK's winnings which is the reason why MK makes so much of the money. It's not the character, it's the player.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Come back when these results happen consistently, and when there are more high level players than just MikeHAZE(who apparently didn't even use Marth the entire time) at the tourney.

I can say with certainty that everyone below Mike has not done anything notable for 2011. Zekey earned $5, and everyone else has nothing.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Mikehaze lost to another Sonic? BBR fix chart plz.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Come back when these results happen consistently, and when there are more high level players than just MikeHAZE(who apparently didn't even use Marth the entire time) at the tourney.

I can say with certainty that everyone below Mike has not done anything notable for 2011. Zekey earned $5, and everyone else has nothing.
One of Tearbears posts on AIB: "the tourny sets between me and tyrant were kinda gay cause it was just CPing
who ever would guess right on the double blind pick would usually win the 1st match and the whole set plus unity rule set was in play so I could never stay luigi on a cp or something cause of the infinite being allowed etc etc"

Is this really how we want the game to be?

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
Compared to what we have? Yes.

There is nothing wrong with what we have. All I see is top players winning with a top tier character. Take that character away from them and the will be winning with their next best character. Take that one away from them and they will still be winning with their next best character.

You don't remove a character just because a top player chooses to use him. Why don't you prove that MK is broken by winning the next national with him?

iFudge

Banned via Warnings
but the great japanese players everybody rides doesnt have mk banned :)

guess otori and rain should cancel there ticket to apex if he gets banned.

ban rc/brin

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
*sits here in europe laughing and watching Marth win every single ****ing tournament*

I think Marth goes even with MK on basically any stage other than RC or Brinstar.
MK wins, but that's just a results of MK having more options. If MK plays like Marth plays, he wins. Otherwise, he loses. A defensive MK won't beat a marth.

Top Bottom