• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would the meta-game change?

Javon89

Smash Ace
What if Meta Knight were banned?

Would Diddy be the next dominating force in tournaments? Would many players quit Brawl? Would top 10 placing characters be more diverse?

Voice your predictions and opinions if this actually happened.

Note: Moderators, if this thread should turn into a MK-Ban argument, please lock this. This thread is not intended that kind of discussion.

Allin

Smash Journeyman
I think Marth, and Pit would be rise in the tier list, snake might drop being that he was so high mostly because of his MU with the knight. I don't think diddy would be a dominating force but I think he'd be similar to melee fox, the best in the game with not alot of players who can use him to his full potential.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Some prick learns to infinite with Diddy and wins a tourney with it.

Controversy of banning the infinite or not or Diddy completely ensues.

Cries to make MK legal are made but quickly shot down.

Infinite is banned.

Life goes on

For serious:

3 characters people will initially jump too: Snake, Diddy, and Marth. All of them are not exactly easy to play, Diddy would be the easiest at the higher levels. Marth will be the hardest, but prob might get a boost.. Or just lose to the influx of mid-tiers hur hur

:phone:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Many Mid-tiers would do much much better. Peach, R.O.B., Pit, D.K. come to mind in particular. Hell even the mario bros would be more viable.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I would imagine Saturday Night Live Single Naner Lock would become one of those "important things" to learn.

GIMR should probably make a Metagame Minute on it someday.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I would imagine learning Saturday Night LiveSingle Naner Lock would become one of those "important things" to learn.

GIMR should probably make a Metagame Minute on it someday.
lol, before you edited that, that's what I thought of

ADHD

Smash Hero
People thinking diddy kong being bannable tier is humorous.

He loses slightly to snake, possibly wario, falco, and goes even with like a million other matchups below him. Also diddy infinites aren't really that practical.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
I see Diddy being bannable only if his nana infinites start winning and we put a nana limit on Diddy.

I don't see Marth being a threath.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Except many characters can actually infinite Diddy with nana's easier than Diddy can infinite them.

Diddy has a ton of evenish MU's and is slightly disadvantaged in several as well.

Greatest myth ever told is that Diddy is 2nd best. The only reason he is that high is because he does so well versus MK and MK takes out almost all of Diddy's bad MUs. Without MK, Diddy would drop to where he actually should be ranked which is like 4th-6th.

Judo777

Smash Master
Except many characters can actually infinite Diddy with nana's easier than Diddy can infinite them.

Diddy has a ton of evenish MU's and is slightly disadvantaged in several as well.

Greatest myth ever told is that Diddy is 2nd best. The only reason he is that high is because he does so well versus MK and MK takes out almost all of Diddy's bad MUs. Without MK, Diddy would drop to where he actually should be ranked which is like 4th-6th.
While I don't think he would ever drop quite that low, I do agree with pretty much everything you said. I have said this for a while. MK is the metagame. The next best chars are the ones with the best MK MU's.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
I still don't see where ppl are saying diddy would ever be in the position he is with mk. Unlike mk his matchups can only get WORSE as ppl learn to use nanaz as good as/better than diddy mains because ppl will want to learn to use items much better. I mean come on...diddy loses to a few high tiers, mid tiers, and goes even with plenty of characters.

Influx of marths i doubt. Marth is hard to use at a high level. However i do believe a nice chunk of mk would go to marth.

ADHD

Smash Hero

I disagree. Diddy is probably at least 3rd.

Bizkit047

Smash Lord
Yea, Diddy would still be top 3 IMO. But obviously wouldn't be MK level. DDD would just get bodied by the top tiers that counter him. Pika would probably be a little better, but get stopped by Diddy?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Woaw, at 1st I thought this topic would be lame, but it is pretty good. I think characters with bad MK matching would go up, Wario would go up, Snake or Falco might be top tier, and Captain Falcon's nipples would be 500% larger! :laugh:

Hive

Smash Lord
probably all the characters would hold hands and sing songs together and **** if metaknight were gone.

(yes, this is a troll attempt, please do not take me seriously)

Ghostbone

Smash Master
The metagame wouldn't change that much immediately, as characters such as Snake, Falco and Diddy have more developed metagames, and would probably dominate the other characters at first. But gradually I think character diversity will increase as people start to secondary characters that aren't MK.

M@v

Subarashii!
probably all the characters would hold hands and sing songs together and **** if metaknight were gone.
Falco would still want to murder ice climbers in their sleep. At least my Falco would.

Also its impossible to predict what will actually happen, but we can take educated guesses:

-General increase in top/high tier character.
-Marth would likely be more prevalent
-More DDDs
-Diddy would be remain best imo, even with mk gone. Snake's recovery just gets ***** too hard for me to see him being 1.

-Mid tier increases would be likely. Peach and ROB will likely appear in higher numbers.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
My guesses?

-Snake would rise back up above Diddy. Marth, Wario, and ICs may very well rise above Diddy in the future with no MK around as well, though how fast would be unknown. I'd say Wario is the least likely out of the trio I mentioned and would take a good influx of mains to pull it off. Falco I honestly don't know. I could see him rising up above Diddy, but I could also see him dropping below the ICs. He's an oddball to me when you take out MK.

-Pikachu would drop back down to high tier. D3 may climb back up above Lucario, but Lucario would be happy with MK gone as well...really hard to tell how that trio would stack.

-G&W would be both buffed and nerfed by no more MK. Obviously, no MKs is good, but more Snakes is bad. I think considering other characters and how much they would be buffed by no MK, G&W would overall drop. Toon Link would rise probably a couple of spots. ZSS...I don't have a clue.

-Fox would drop. Wolf would drop with him, but not as much. DK would drop due to increase in D3, but not by much. Peach would be top of mid tier. ROB would rise a bit, possibly a fair bit. Sonic and Ike would both get a noticeable boost, possibly slightly more in Ike's case. I don't think Pit would really move much at all when considering all of the other movement around him.

-As for the other characters, I don't know. Ness might drop slightly due to an increase of Marths, same with Lucas, but how much is unknown. Who would benefit more, Yoshi or PT? I'm leaning towards PT overall, but I don't know. I'd be willing to believe that Link would rise a spot over Falcon, but it's low tier. That area is already fairly jumbled up with lots of "don't know, I guess I'll throw him here" occurring.

Obviously, when it comes to stages, there would be a lot less crying over RC and Brinstar. More stages could be more easily accepted.

Nicole

Smash Champion
nothing will change.

also lol at everyone saying that mk is what keeps peach down.

mikeray4

Smash Ace

happiest picture I've ever seen

cept falco, he still looks pissed

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
nothing will change.

also lol at everyone saying that mk is what keeps peach down.
Fox and Wolf (Fox in particular) are noted for having "better than average" MUs against MK.

Peach's worst or arguably worst MU is MK.

Logically, if some of the reason why Fox and Wolf are higher is gone, and some of the reason why Peach is where she is is gone, they would pass each other going opposite directions.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
What will happen if MK is banned (imho) :
people will be able to counterpick.
And that changes everything.

Starwave

Smash Cadet
Pit will probably make a decent rise, because his worst AND most prevalent matchup (MK) would be gone. After MK, Pit really only has to worry about Wario and can now solo a tournament without resorting to MK esque counterpicks.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
All characters who were placed lower because of their bad match up with meta knight would be higher. For example, Zelda would be 5 spots higher at least.

Tesh

Smash Hero
everyone would lose one bad matchup, life would go on low tiers would still suck

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I would swap ICs with Olimar
Move Zamus up to the bottom of B tier
Move R.O.B. two spots up
Put Sheik at the top of G tier
Lower Jiggly by like 5 spots, what's with her placement lmao
Move Falcon to the bottom of H tier

No big changes; this is a really agreeable list, Grim.

Top Bottom