• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Wait, aren't you a Zelda main?

Isn't it against your interests to be happy for the real life incarnation of Ganondorf?

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Kage would you agree with me that Ganon should be lower on the tier list, but since know one knows how to play against him optimally, he's got the spot he is. Can you seriously not beat Bam and Vwins with Ganon? You are a top 20 player in the world (arguably top 10/15) and the are top 150 or so. Is it because they know Ganon so well or because they know you and your playstyle/habits so well?
I would agree with chris on this one. He's almost top tier, but not quite. Definitely better than the mario bros, samus, dk, etc.

Maybe vwins and bam won this time because kage was high lmao. Or because ganon peach is a pretty bad matchup (don't care what anyone says, but turnips can REALLY limit ganons options) and falco ganon is really tough as well unless you're linguini haha

:phone:

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Catching Peach's turnips is really really easy, though. So is powershielding Falco's lasers.

Anyway, I personally think Ganon is a much worse character against people who actually know how to fight him. Fortunately, most people don't, so we're good.

As for the tier list, even if people knew how to fight him, I think he'd still stay in the same position (assuming they also knew how to fight Samus).

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Catching peach's turnips is not as helpful as you would think. I used to be all about catching the turnips, but the problem with that is:

A) when you catch a turnip, you are in the air above your opponent (most likely) -- A bad place for ganon to be in many situations, especially when...
B) you now have no air attacks, you can only throw the turnip. No huge hitboxes to help you out. Unless you caught a stitch, you're kind of screwed.

Essentially what I'm getting at is that even by catching a turnip, peach has successfully limited your options. This is only based on my relatively small amount of experience vs. peach, if anybody has anything else to say about it, I would really like to know.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Ya I'm happy only a select few know how to fight me/Ganon. It's not just the character, it's also the player influence.. and well these days actually I can't really pinpoint what makes me good or worse on a particular day, it's too ****ing random.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
all i can tell you kage is that you were making the same decisions i think i would've made vs vwins, and that disappointed me greatly lol. the way you were going to the top platform and coming down with bairs as if it was sneaky made me want to laugh and be sad at the same time, cause i know i do the same thing against both marth and peach. unfortunately, it really does get beaten by people paying attention and dash dancing under a side platform.

also, if you just catch a turnip and drop it, it neutralizes the turnip with little frame delay, leaving you open to defend yourself with an up air if she still thinks coming at you is a good decision. not sure what kind of angles peach is coming at you with (pseudo? turtle? pseudoturtle? preference?) but usually if i have a turnip camping peach and i catch a turnip, they smartly back off and reset the situation.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I've played some pretty good Peaches. When I say that, I mean to say that I've played pretty extensively with DoH, and we have had some incredibly good matches. In all the times I've played him, I've found that catching turnips and using them has had little help in the matches. In fact, when I've caught them, I realize that I then have to get rid of them before using my C-Stick for aerials, which hurts me far more than the benefit of catching the turnip. I find that using Ganon's large hit boxes on his aerials(fair, uair) when a turnip was predicted worked better because it often times killed the turnip and in turn hit the approaching peach that was predicting the turnip to stun. However, when not done properly, hitting the turnip merely to deflect the turnip itself can leave Ganon in a compromised circumstance.

tldr: I had more success from hitting the turnip with an aerial when properly spaced, and perhaps even hitting the peach as well as they would try to follow up behind the turnip with an attack. But be careful about doing so.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I like to catch turnips usually because now Ganon has a projectile to use and can attack Peach in different angles Ganon normally can't. I mean I think it's pretty good to do if you aren't close to Peach.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah...i wouldn't be catching a turnip if theres any way a hitbox could follow the turnip...but i haven't dealt with a peach who follows their turnips that closely. it feels like you could get under them if they're throwing them that close, but it's tough to visualize.

i personally love ganons turnip fair approach.

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
About grabbing Turnips; I don't know how it works (Magus, I summon you) but if you use 'Z' Ganon can catch turnips from around a side-b's length away. It's crazy. Also I don't know the frame data on it but i'm quite sure you can catch a turnip and then z drop it near immediately, making you only sacrifice a few frames. Just doing a sh back will put you in good position, Psuedo.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Magus just posted in the PM thread, so if we're lucky, he'll look here.

Anyway, it seems like Ganon has three good options:
1. Catch the turnip. This gives Ganon a pretty good projectile, and most Peach's probably won't know how to handle a Ganon with a projectile. Assuming the Ganon player knows how to use a projectile, this should be pretty good for him.
2. Catch the turnip, and immediately drop it. This doesn't really do much other than preventing you from getting hit. That is pretty important, though.
3. Use an attack to deflect the turnip. This only seems good if the Peach is in range of the attack. If she is, though, then not only do you not take damage from the turnip, but you also get a hit on her. That works out pretty well.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
the optimal of those 3 options probably depend on how close the peach is. i believe as peach follows behind her turnip more closely, it becomes better to move down this list.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. That's actually the reason I put them in that order.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
ah we've had some good times in this thread. looking back at that makes me feel like i've been here a little while, even though i'm still pretty new in the grand scheme of things lol.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Legen.... WAIT FOR IT.........DARY!!!!!!!

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
That's a bit much for trash talk. I'm good enough at it already that I don't need to spend that kind of money.

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
I might be worse than Pseudo. I'm not entirely sure, since I haven't played him, but it's a possibility. Given his recent practice with all of you guys, I'd say it's actually pretty likely that he's better than I am at the moment.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
I'll be at Advent Ian. Dry you eyes already.
Lol. Btw, we need vids of both you guys if possible.

Anyway, I'm going to tournament #4 today, so wish me luck! Unfortunately, my goal is still to win a single match :glare: but I feel like I'm still improving, so who knows? Maybe I'll even make it out of pools today. I hope Eddie shows up to this one...

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I dont know how long you practiced before but even for me it took me a good year to have a decent enough secondary for tournament play. Even after all that, I still messed up basic combos, so ya.. it's tough. =P

Top Bottom