• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RaphaelRobo

Smash Champion
Can we just call it the Uair spike? That seems fairly impartial.

Or it could be the TipEddie spike. Or the EddieMan spike. Or the EdMan Spike. Or something.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Eddie didn't even name it himself. West coast named it after him after he traveled over there and was wrecking with it.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
i've always been indifferent about what reverse uair spike was called. who cares who used it first?
I mean I don't think anyone really cares all that much about what its called, I certainly dont sit and ponder these topics in the RL. But since we are on nerdboards talking about ganondorf, we may as well praise Eddie J. Howells for rightfully creating the Eddie Spike.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Though I've heard a lot more about Tipman than Eddie honestly back when I started competitive. I guess it's about "marketing" yourself the best.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Ok, serious question time (and disregard the double post).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCTvgh5mZ8E

At 0:53 ish in this video, kage fairs s2j's shield. But if I space it out the way he did, I ALWAYS end up shield grabbed. To avoid this, I always have to space a fair so that the very tip of the fist hits the shield and then I don't get grabbed.

The question here is: Did kage do something special, like start the fair early or something? Or did s2j fail to react to it and not bother to shield grab?

Please help with that one because that could totally change my game. Thanks!

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
thats just S2J fearing he'll get jabbed. instead he got grabbed

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Right, but why didn't s2j just shield grab? Because for me, if I space a fair that close to somebody's shield, I always get shield grabbed.

I guess my question rephrased should be why didn't s2j go for the grab? I would understand if the fair was spaced better that he would fear the jab, but I thought a fair on shield at that spacing was a free shield grab.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
fair is always safe on shield, doesn't matter spacing

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
me or pseudo?

I don't get shield grabbed on aerials. only miss timed dashes after d-tilt

Divinokage

Smash Legend

At 0:53 ish in this video, kage fairs s2j's shield. But if I space it out the way he did, I ALWAYS end up shield grabbed. To avoid this, I always have to space a fair so that the very tip of the fist hits the shield and then I don't get grabbed.

The question here is: Did kage do something special, like start the fair early or something? Or did s2j fail to react to it and not bother to shield grab?

I think he was just pressured maybe, he could've done something for sure from that spacing OOS.

G. Vice

Smash Lord

Not everyone reacts the exact same to every situation. I mean you might get grabbed every time that situation presents itself, but even S2J isn't perfect. Could he have grabbed? Maybe. But that doesn't mean he will every time, like the falcon you play seems to.

For instance, I saw my crew-mate(Arbustos) -who's really good vs ganon- do stuff to Kage that would never work vs me. Does this mean I'm better than kage, or I have a solution that he doesn't? No. You can't possibly expect the same outcome from different people every time, because everything can be changed in a frame. I think Ripple was right about S2J just not wanting to get jabbed, and waited to long to react and got grabbed. Kage probably planned it, an initial break from the norm to catch him off guard.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
fair is only like -2 or 3 on block which in smash terms, is safe

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
fair is safe enough to jab, but jab isn't safe enough to do anything afterward.

i don't think fair -> grab is fast enough to beat a shieldgrab though. fair should also be safe enough to run away and bair a shieldgrab attempt.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
fair is safe enough to jab, but jab isn't safe enough to do anything afterward.

i don't think fair -> grab is fast enough to beat a shieldgrab though. fair should also be safe enough to run away and bair a shieldgrab attempt.
If this is really true at any spacing, then my speed must be awful haha. But what if you do that super quick jab thing? Like where you tilt the control stick down and away

But yea, g. vice, I know what kage was doing there, I do that occasionally too (thanks to advice from ripple and trail) as a mixup. The question was worded poorly. Time to work on my speed.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
that doesn't work for ganon. he can't crouch after his jab fast enough where it works that way. the down and away thing can do work for a CC jab, but not like for fox where you can continuously do the first jab by holding down and away.

he simply has too many cooldown frames on his jab to avoid a grab punish. you do have to l cancel the fair properly to get a jab/ successful runaway.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Though I've heard a lot more about Tipman than Eddie honestly back when I started competitive. I guess it's about "marketing" yourself the best.
ya there was this dude DooDad who started spamming "Tipman Spike" all round the boards, it was kinda lame, kuz if u met Eddie, u wouldn't wany anyone to do him like that. Boi is a midwest legend and we go hard for our legends. We had this argument like 6 years ago lol...

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Actually Geen that mathy framey stuff helped quite a bit. I have no idea what this -2 and +3 stuff means lol. So thanks. I guess I'm not frame perfect on the jab then when I'm too close, maybe it's a mental thing? Either way, I'll probably just buffer a spot dodge (which I think comes out on frame 1?) to get the timing down.

Also, trail, I've always been curious, but never asked: what is the significance of your sig?

Geenareeno

Smash Lord
Whenever someone says -3 or +1 or something they're talking about advantage on block. So if Ganon fairs someone's sheild, lands the next frame and got the L cancel, your opponent will come out of sheild .... ****!

I made a huge ******** error in my post. Uhh anyways, yeah you will be actionable 3 frames after your opponent comes out of sheild stun. Since jab comes out on frame 3 and grab takes 7 frames if you try to grab you will be jabbed.

It's mostly used in 2d fighters where certain characters will have moves that are positive on block. There's only a few in this game, Falcon's knee and Peach's FC fair come to mind.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
no way falcon's knee is positive. otherwise we'd be seeing Knee on shield to grabs

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
i'm trying out this new technique with ganon. reverse reverse (hitting them with a reverse up-air while you are facing towards them) up-air reset (same properties as jab reset).

it's not worth it imo because it covers only 1/4 options after down-throw or whatever (tech in place ruins it), but it feels so satisfying charging a f-smash after resetting them on the floor.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I've done that once or twice in a match but omg it's situational.. lol. I remember i have a vid somewhere where i did but cant find it atm. =/

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i did a dair off the top platform and dropped down with an uair and it reset them from the missed tech. it looked interesting, but i haven't been able to do it consistently.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
@ Bizarro and Kage - Try down throwing and immediately snapping up the c-stick while short hopping. Make sure you hit them with Ganon's tippy toes. (They have to miss teching on the floor in order for this to work)

Top Bottom