• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Its true that both dsmash cover a lot on the ground.. image that on yoshis lol, then theyll be forced to play above you which is what you want.

Hammer and foot machine.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
oops my bad,

ICs and Ganon will be a hard team to **** with. Against fast paced chars like space animals, it will be hard to coordinate together since they will keep you and your IC friend apart. And grabs won't work as well as in singles (for both of you guys( because they could save each other. Try not to have 1v1s in the team matches because faster paced chars can save each other quickly if it is the case, but, at the same time, ganon and ics will have a very hard time saving each other if either ganon or ics is in a dire situation.

but edge-guarding would be easy for you guys since ganon could just grab the ledge while ICs could just quickly d-smash without too much interruption when the recovering player lands on stage. you don't want to have popo or any ICs grab the ledge because ganon could hit nana off the stage while reverse u-air or b-air edgeguarding.

a good tactic for ICs and Ganon on stage would be for ICs to full-wavedash down-smash heavy characters in order for ganon to tech-chase them afterwards. grabbing really will not work for either ganon or ICs unless if only one member of the opposing team is remaining. Against a team with one/two floaty chars like puff and marth, you guys will have to b-air a lot and try your best to follow up with a connecting hit before the hit-stun wears out.

i hope this helps man
wow! thanks for the post man. i really can not wait to do dittos with you. :bee:

TheLostHylian

Smash Cadet
1. How does one u-smash out of shield? Is this possible with Ganondorf?
2. My wavedashing isn't as consistent as I want it to be. Outside of sitting on Final D. practicing for hours trying to get it right every time, have you any suggestions on improving? Like maybe I'm falling under a common category of Ganon users who have trouble wavedashing? I use R, and while I seem to have better luck with L at times, I have difficulty using my left finger on controllers (this also kills me when playing [Super] Street Fighter IV... I have to have a fight pad to use all 3 punches or kicks because I can't use LT or LB effectively to do moves). Should I hold my finger a certain way on the R button? Is my timing just off? I can wavedash usually 3-4 times in a row, but often I'll just jump and the air dash didn't get read. This is one reason I wish I could remove the springs, but apparently that isn't tournament legal. I also have trouble with getting the right distance out of my wavedash. Sometimes I get a little movement, sometimes I get (what I assume is) the maximum distance.
3. The R button is also my bane when it comes to cancelling aerials. I've been training myself to use Z for both aerial attacks and their cancel. Is this an effective method or should I stick to A and just use Z for cancels?
4. How long should it take for me to get the platform wavelands down so well that I smoothly and quickly travel the entire map without ever having to really RUN? Have you any suggestions on perfecting wavelands in general? Sometimes I get a great distance (about 1/4 of Final Destination's length was my record) but I usually just barely move forwards or backwards.
5. I'm tired of shielding right after wavelands or wavedashes when I've only just tapped it. Am I spending too much time on R for this? I can't seem to master wavelands/dashes into attacks or grabs :(
6. I can't seem to find a tutorial video on Ganondorf. I see a lot of techniques exampled in Tipman's Triforce of Power, but I... don't know how he does them! Such as double-aerial attacks off of one jump (double Thunder Drop?! REALLY?! DO WANT!) I know this is probably a NO, but also, are there any videos of what your hands look like on the controller while performing advanced techniques such as ledge-grab-to-waveland-attack/grab? I'm a very visual person and sometimes reading doesn't exactly compute with me. I've learned the general techniques like SHFFLing, wavedashing, and cancelling, because those are pretty straightforward, but other advanced techniques I'm in the dark on.
7. What advanced techs are Ganondorf specific?

That's all for now :O

Walt

Smash Ace
1. Yes Ganon can usmash OoS, just press up and A like doing a usmash or up and c-stick up. Press up will cause you to jump out of your shield than you cancel the jump with usmash. The timing is kinda weird but just try it till you find the timing. It also isn't that useful with Ganon unfortunately.
2. Personally I always play Ganon with rumble on because it allows me to feel the jump since his jump is so slow and lets me know when to press L/R to WD. That may or may not work for you, other than that keep practicing.
3. Using Z to cancel aerials is fine but make sure to use the c-stick, even if it feel SUPER weird at first just force yourself to do until it's second nature. Being able to air control backwards as far as you can and do a fair is 100% needed with Ganon. Even just try to play a bunch of games where you only use A while on the ground just to get used to c-stick aerials.
4. No idea how long it should take to learn platform wavelands, that is a personal thing but don't worry too much about that, it'll come with time and you will be able to do it with every character. Although double jumping puts you into a rolling animation that makes platform WLs easier and gets you up to the plat faster. Just careful when doing it in a game because if you get hit off stage with no DJ you are probably dead.
5. Just let go earlier, it is possible your R button sticks but try just letting R to pop all the way back out sooner.
6. There isn't a video like that I don't think, the aerial>DJ aerial thing is just knowing when a move ends so you can jump out of it and do another. It is pretty easy. The Ledgedash>jab/grab/ftilt/shield/roll takes a lot of time and you will probably kill yourself trying to learn it like a million times. Try to do it when you are in a intense game so you learn to do it under pressure.
7. Ganon doesn't have anything specific to him, but mastering his ledgehop/ledgedash is difficult and necessary. His pivot ftilt/fsmash is useful as well but not needed as much as ledgedashing.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Wtf ganon is ****ing good on teams!

Me and spider sense do some sick **** with sheik ganon.

Ganon is properly better on teams than in singles.

Ice climbers suck on teams to easy to take them apart exclude chu/ wobbles/and like uber ice.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I'll never agree to Ganon being better in doubles than singles. It's pretty damn hard to put in a lot of damage unless you have a smart/helpful teammate... which you probably are, nicaboy.

Renth

Smash Hero
Played Linguini and VGmasterRicky the other day. I still got it I'm definitely getting back into this game holla!

p.s.

Ganon teams > ganon singles.

a good team partner can take away a lot of his flaws specifically how easy he is to edge guard.

VGmasta

Smash Lord
That's VGmast'a', none of that 'er' stuff Mark, lol

And yeah, Ganon destroys in teams as long as he has a decent character on his team. Ganon controls so much space and has so much hit power. So as long as he has a good support character, Ganon can get away with a lot of more than he ever could in singles.

Most of Ganon's weaknesses is his ability to recover as Renth mentioned already, and his laggy wind down time from some of his attacks, and his running speed. All of those weaknesses are completely nullified with a good support character, making Ganon a broken/busted character to work against. BROKEN and BUSTED!

nicaboy

Smash Champion
Haha thanks ace my man.

When we ever gonna do that challenge <.<

And why arent you kids at genesis? That stream is gonna be mad crazy today! Kage 2-0 everyone is his pool! But lost to stab in a mm!

Kage ****ing figure out falco ya prick!(i feel you on hating certain match ups though man we all have them)

any news on my boy bizzaro flame!?

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
i could have easily made round three pools, but no johns. it happens.

bizarro did very well in making bracket. my round 2 pool was a death pool, though. I had SFAT, Tope, Falcomist, and Leffen. Three of those players made bracket.

the ganons will prevail next time. a shame linguini couldn't attend.

until then.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Props to Bizzaro Flame for making it to bracket! You did say you'd turn heads, props for doing so.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
thanks!!! i wished that i did better in brackets to amaze you guys even more.
Bizaarro Flame! I'm that asian kid with the scrubby playstyle, if you remember, haha. You owned us all in that hotel room with the "iron man" thing. How'd you do in brackets? I know you played Armada but I didn't get to see the match.

DannyG

Smash Cadet
I don't think ganon cf is as bad as 70/30, but I'm not even prepared to say 60/40......Ganon gets comboed like no one's business, but you can also get around a few of falcon's approaches with cautious playing, not to mention that off stage CF = stock. So as long as you don't get sucked into a combo every stock I think it's doable. 60/40 seems like the worst it could be, but I think 55/45 is a more reasonable evaluation.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Bizaarro Flame! I'm that asian kid with the scrubby playstyle, if you remember, haha. You owned us all in that hotel room with the "iron man" thing. How'd you do in brackets? I know you played Armada but I didn't get to see the match.
hey!! how are you doing? I lost to Armada and Silent Dog.

falcon > ganon 70-30
nah, you haven't observed me vs falcon yet. if i faced SS/Hax/you, then i would've had a good chance of beating either of you guys.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Things are pretty boring now compared to the weekend's tournament, haha. But it was a good first experience, and I now know the mindset I need to work on. I'll look forward to seeing your vids on youtube. Keep working on those matchups. ;)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Bizz I can't wait to see some of your vids. I heard you played some of my good friends, like VTS. Wish you'd come to MIST so I could play you.

What region are you? WC right?

TheLostHylian

Smash Cadet
How do you moonwalk and is there any use in Ganondorf using it? I know CF's moonwalk was ridiculously good for him.

DannyG

Smash Cadet
How do you moonwalk and is there any use in Ganondorf using it? I know CF's moonwalk was ridiculously good for him.

I'll address the second part of this first. CF's moonwalk isn't ridiculously good, it's just cool and decent.

Now onto the main part. The falcon boards have tutorials on moonwalking, but basically you initiate a dash, then do a half circle motion downwards to the opposite direction without going through the center of the control stick. If you did it properly, your character will move backwards while in their dash animation. However, one caveat with Ganon is that you can only achieve real distance if you already have some momentum, for example after a perfect waveland. The only use I know for ganon doing it is: perfect waveland ---> moonwalk ---> edgehog, which looks cool, but isn't amazingly good.

Basically it isn't that useful with Ganon.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Bizz I can't wait to see some of your vids. I heard you played some of my good friends, like VTS. Wish you'd come to MIST so I could play you.

What region are you? WC right?
yeah, in cali specifically.

I had fun talking to your chill friend VTS.

btw, since you mentioned MIST, I will definitely check it out and see if i can go

Walt

Smash Ace
Sad I didn't get to play Biz even though I saw him like 1 million times. Dude did mad good. 2 Ganons making it through those insane pools is awesome.

Biz who did you play in r3 pools

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Wait a sec, I thought I played against all ganon mains at Genesis =/. funny thing is that we're from the same region sort of!

Round 3
Shroomed 1-2
Darkatma 1-2
Leffen 0-2
VishPwns 2-1
ConnorTheKid 2-0
Qlex 2-0
Light 2-0

Walt

Smash Ace
Wait a sec, I thought I played against all ganon mains at Genesis =/. funny thing is that we're from the same region sort of!

Round 3
Shroomed 1-2
Darkatma 1-2
Leffen 0-2
VishPwns 2-1
ConnorTheKid 2-0
Qlex 2-0
Light 2-0
I'm a Falcon main, so you did. Ganon is my secondary. Good job taking a game of Shroomed, Atma and beating Light.

Top Bottom