• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Many People Actually CP Characters?

RP`

Smash Apprentice
I do only when I am at a strong disadvantage, like against D3 or something.

Geist

Smash Master
Counterpicking in a tourney is important, especially because competitively Brawl is pretty reliant on matchups. Unless you're really confident in your main, you should always consider counterpicking characters for tight situations.
In a friendly, counterpicking is meaningless though.

|RK|

Smash Marketer

Ditto. Otherwise I go for MY strongest player, Any match-up declared over a 70-30 for them I CP. Or just switch to a secondary :)
Heh, I don't CP. Then again, my character has no matchups worse than 40:60 and none better than 60:40. Playing Lucario highly relies on skill.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I randomly pick Meta Knight regardless of whether I win or lose the first match.

If I win the first match, it stops the set at game 2.

If I lose the first match, picking Meta Knight reminds me of what I should have done for game 1.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I will once I get good enough with Bowser, and figure out which characters I randomly do better against with Captain Falcon then with Ike or Bowser.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
CPing is for people who don't know their matchups. Unless it's just one of those god-awful matchups lol.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I don't. Pikachu 4lyfe. <3

I'm looking into picking up a Marth counter, though, because that matchup is fun but really, really difficult if the Marth is good.

Sometimes I'll randomly pick Zelda if I can't win with Pika. Just to switch up my playstyle, though, not really to CP. I'll probably do the same thing with Marth once mine is good enough.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
It depends on my opponent's character, the stage, and how I did against them with my first character. How well I know the matchup also affects my counterpicking process.

.AC.

Smash Lord
since matchups are really important in brawl i tend to cp a lot if things arent working.it is also sometimes necessary so it can change things a little bit in your favor.this include stages etc.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'll counterpick Wolf occasionally if I don't know the Diddy match-up that well and end up playing poorly (even though I won't necessarily know what the match-up with Wolf will be like either) simply because I like to play as Wolf as well. I mained him towards the beginning of Smash, and now that I've picked him up again, I'll rely on him as a fallback if my Diddy isn't up to par. He covers a FEW of Diddy's poorer matchups, and he's different enough to surprise the opponent if swap him out instead. So for me, it's more of a matter of having two characters I play with with one who happens to be my favorite as oppose to counterpicking. "Wow, Diddy really didn't work the way I thought he would in this match... Let's try Wolf!"

Coney

Smash Master
If I have a reeeally problematic matchup, either for my character or me personally, I'll CP.

Other than that, I'll stick it out.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
well i use mk so theres no use in cp stages, or char. since i can paly 100 in any stage that i didint ban. which would be halberd, japes, ect

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I have used R.O.B. as a Luigi's Mansion counterpick before, but I don't do that anymore. 100% Mr. Game & Watch is my best bet; I only use other characters in friendlies when I want to handicap myself. I consider myself someone who plays to win.

BurningCrusader777

Smash Journeyman
I only CP at 70-30 or worse, or if it's a 65-35 and I feel that I can't think of a way to stay a certain character and beat the opposing character.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
In the process of finding a secondary that I CAN cp with to cover bad matchups such as Mk, Zss, Gnw, ect.

Considering either Snake, Wario, or Marth.

Alzi

Smash Master
I never counterpick i just play toon link all the way and even if i do loose that match and i know the other player will use the same character against me i will still go toon link so i get better at that certain match-up. I don't really play to win.

c3gill

Smash Ace
As I main Lucas, I have 4 matchups I consider possibly worthy of a CP character:

Marth - I go MK and pray, cause Marth is really gay.
G&W - Again, I go MK. and pray. stupid G&Ws :(
DK - Ummm Ill probably go Falco.
MK- going Diddy.

of course, thats assuming my opponent isnt some scrub and can play halfway decently- if they cant, im keeping Lucas ;)

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
Just because I don't play any other character well, because I suck with any character other than Mario, I usually don't counterpick.

Not to say I wouldn't, I HAVE before, and did better against the matchup at hand.

Counterpicking is a huge part of competitive Brawl, unless you know every one of your matchups to the fullest knowledge, having a secondary in order to counterpick certain matchups is almost essential.

Unless your Meta Knight, but meh. He's not THAT hard to beat.

C~Dog

Smash Champion
I almost never counterpick. On the rare occasions that i do, it will be Kirby, since i main him for doubles. I am getting to the point where i can CP lucas, my new low tier main, although god knows if he would be any use for my ICs bad matchups lol

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I main sonic.

Except in the worst situations, I will play sonic for game 1.

I also second Lucario, Fox, D3 and Wolf.

Regardless of the first matches out come, I usually play the character that I think will give me the best chance to win. And that relys on a few different factors.

What character my opponent is playing
What stage we are going to.
How much experience my opponent has against all my characters
How gay I feel like being.
Who I'm having the most fun with at the time.

These all make for some interesting CPs. Especially since based on my spread of characters, I can at times CP my opponent even if they choose the stage.
it also makes for some fun and really interesting matches.
Ex.
At my last tourney, I won a game sonic v. luigi, the luigi CPd me to japes, and I went fox, which allowed me to camp him pretty hard. as I recall, i think i won that game pretty handily.
I also beat a pikachu on norfair with DDD. That match was hard, super gay, really annoying and lots of fun, all at the same time.

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
Luigi for the first match always.

I will then CP with Game & Watch, Olimar, Fox (depending on who I see), or Peach. (because I can)

If someone picks Meta, then I CP Diddy always.

auroreon

Smash Ace
To prevent myself from being disloyal, I have prevented myself from learning how to play as other characters... so I can't CP.
It is theoretically possible for me to win every match I play using Yoshi so thats what I aim for. Yoshi and I laugh in the face of impracticality.
I wouldn't really be achieving much winning with a character that has an advantage... if you beat them it doesn't prove that your skill is superior to theirs. If I win a matchup where they have the advantage, now that is a real achievement. I also don't enjoy the playstyle of other characters as much.

Top Bottom