• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
to explain more on the pillar, fox can be shield grabbed out of his dair before having anything he can do safely on a shield, let alone, something that is repeatable.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
Wtf it works....I did he said and it was instant grab soon as i hit the ground from dair after the little bit of lag. What do you want to call this? Dair Insta-grab?

Edit: It works with A button but I prefer Z
Lol I just time the grab just right. I never tried to buffer it! xD

who is the best fox?
Who knows lol.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I have a question, how does Fox do against Lucario. I have a hard match-up VS Lucario but i don't know why. I think Lucario's aerials are owning my *** what can i do VS Luke?

(And what the hell everyones signature is showing up except mines how come?)

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I have a question, how does Fox do against Lucario. I have a hard match-up VS Lucario but i don't know why. I think Lucario's aerials are owning my *** what can i do VS Luke?

(And what the hell everyones signature is showing up except mines how come?)
Or you could have your posts set up to never show your sig. Whenever you post, if you scroll down there are options called Miscellaneous Options. Make sure Show your Signature is checked.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Hmm.... Zhamy metioned this earlier to maybe I should just PM but.... these "Dead Zones" I always seem to be caught in one when I'm playing Marth. He has me by the edge and is SH double Fairing to keep me from moving away from it. I can't shieldgrab or anything, he waits until my shields low enough so he's dtilt can go under it.

2nd Q: Would Full Jump Nair FF out a shield work. I have seen M@V just Full Jump Nair FF, and I thought that maybe it would be good to use out of shield.

3rd Q: I played Muralas and... his Fox is FAST! Myabe this a direct question to you Mura do is it better to FF your Dair?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Hmm.... Zhamy metioned this earlier to maybe I should just PM but.... these "Dead Zones" I always seem to be caught in one when I'm playing Marth. He has me by the edge and is SH double Fairing to keep me from moving away from it. I can't shieldgrab or anything, he waits until my shields low enough so he's dtilt can go under it.
As soon as he lands? Sliding shield toward him. If he tries to SH Fair, you'll be close enough to grab or get away, at least. And he shouldn't be scaring you into your shield so easily. Just play the matchup more - when you get desperate, try some new things, and you'll do much better. Fox can't outrange Marth, so your only hope is to outplay him.

^Eclipse

Smash Rookie
When a laser hits a shield does it create any shieldstun or does it have the same properties as hitting someone whose isn't blocking?

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Lol thnx alot Iblis that was the problem. I always use Quick Reply XD so sorry for my dumbness.

Anyway, about Lucario, how do i fight it. I hate his Dair so much and i don't know how to handle it. Any specific battle style on how to battle him? I'm asking this here because Lucario has yet to be discussed. Please helpe me ^_^

Zeton

Smash Lord
NNID
ZetonX
Lol thnx alot Iblis that was the problem. I always use Quick Reply XD so sorry for my dumbness.

Anyway, about Lucario, how do i fight it. I hate his Dair so much and i don't know how to handle it. Any specific battle style on how to battle him? I'm asking this here because Lucario has yet to be discussed. Please helpe me ^_^
I'm not sure what I could tell you about his dair but if he's following a routine or is a habit for him to use like using a dair after you uptilt, you can use it to your advantage and just let him perform the attack and be ready for the rebound.

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
can some1 who is "good" wit fox on the east coast play me. im tryna see different ways of playin. so far i only played toronto joe and iblis.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
3rd Q: I played Muralas and... his Fox is FAST! Myabe this a direct question to you Mura do is it better to FF your Dair?
Lol, if your going to shorten my name.....just call me Mars, most people do:)

I was kind of sad Iblis because I wanted to show you a few things with Fox, but the connection was so bad it was almost impossible:(. But ya, great games I was pleasently surprised with your Fox. I was expecting you to be a complete nub, bu it's good to know that you've actually listened to people's advice on this board and implemented it into your gameplay.........I could see you getting really good with Fox. Sorry I didn't comment immediately after playing you, I had to gog somewhere.

But yes, in most cases it is better to FF your dair. I almost always do......if Fox is going to be cursed with this insane fall speed than you might as well take advanatage of it.

Dair comes out on like frame 5 iirc, so short-hopping and quickly fast falling a dair can be really hard for some characters to deal with the speed of it and then you almost instantly have follow up options. Of course this doesn't mean you should just dair all over the place, but if you use dair in moderation it can be hard for people to deal with.

Furthermore, FF'ing bair is also very effective. Since it auto-cancels you can immediately jab, dsmash, utilt, ftilt.........you can even usmash to catch someone by surprise. Walling with bair is also another option you have with Fox in certain matchups.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Thanks for the help Mars (most people expect me to suck) to tell the truth my Fox and most character always seemed to follow around competieve play. I get around to what other people tell me later unless I really need to help or the advice is from a notable person from my standards.
On a side note: Up B out of shield works wonders. M@V metioned this but shine (I didn't believe it at first) a really good GTFO me move. It helps in Fox dittos or playing fast characters or people with generally fast playstyle (look out Mars)

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Lasering gives hitstun and pushes them backwards. I am unsure if it actually "decays" it even if it hits the shield or if that effect is negated.

El Gordo

Smash Cadet
So,did anyone try out the Dair-Instantgrab?Well,I think it works and is actually a nice technique,and yeah,if it is really an advanced technique,I gotta call it like that xDD

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Not this is a question that's bothered me forever and I never seen anyone ask it. Is it better to buffer your moves or wait for the end then continue. (I thought it might be best to learn what to buffer time on all moves are, seeing how Dair Insta-grab is based on buffering.)

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Buffer everything you can. Why not take advantage of the simpler mechanics if you can make it frame tight? The only time you would wait is baiting something or mindgames.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
New question.... since I have been doing Mars's challenge It seems I need help trying to close the mid-range gap. I heard NeverKnowBest metion a DCSG.... What is that and how do I do it?

2nd Q: When doing the D-throw to Rising Fair should I buffer a dash when doing the D-throw?

3rd Q: Is Dash Cancelled Spotdodge a viable move? It give's you a slide.

4th: Where are all the new people that are supposed to ask questions?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
DCSG= Dash Cancelled Shield Grab.

Run into a shield, if they shield grab them. If they attack you, shield the attack and counter. If they spotdodge, jab twice.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Oh I guess never knew I intials for it. I already how do that. BUT what is it called when you cancel the dash attack with a grab? and does this help fox?

SCOTU

Smash Hero
if by "dash attacking w/ a grab" you mean doing a dash attack and then IMMEDIATELY using a grab to make you slide farther, it's called a "Boost Grab"

Also: there is no "Dash Canceling" in Brawl.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Run into a shield, if they shield grab them. If they attack you, shield the attack and counter. If they spotdodge, jab twice.
Oh yeah, by the way, if they grab? Be very, very careful. Don't abuse it too much.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Oh yeah, by the way, if they grab? Be very, very careful. Don't abuse it too much.
Against characters that don't have a lot of grab range, you can space this and be pretty safe, but ya I agree this shouldn't be abused especially against characters like DDD.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Against characters that don't have a lot of grab range, you can space this and be pretty safe, but ya I agree this shouldn't be abused especially against characters like DDD.
I second this he will just grab **** you before your slide reaches him.

^Eclipse

Smash Rookie
Lasering gives hitstun and pushes them backwards. I am unsure if it actually "decays" it even if it hits the shield or if that effect is negated.
I thought fox's lasers have no hitstun?

From what I've seen, fox's lasers behave differently when they are shielded compared to when they are not shielded. Could someone please explain this?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
See no matter what all moves in brawl pushes some one back that is in a shield. Others push farther than others. I guess this can be taken advantage of but I can't really see it happening but I wouldn't mind if some one ended up proving me wrong but, I guess when your opponet is near the legde and shielding spray them with laser so they fall off and grab the ledge. This would reset for you to get closer and try to read what you opponet is gonna do when trying to get back on the stage.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
to be 100% precise, there is both "Blockhitlag" and "Blockstun" Which refer to the amount of time your shield is stuck in hitlag and then the amount of time before you can release your shield after blockhitlag (respectively). Although I don't know yet, I would put money on Fox's laser having Blockhitlag, but not blockstun.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I have a question, is Donkey Kong a good pair with Fox? I recently picked up Donkey and he kicks ***. I also got GAW and Marth as mains, but i'm justwondering if Donkey and Fox makes a good combination?

Zhamy

Smash Champion
Check the DK boards for their matchups? It's really your best bet, instead of asking us.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
I have a question, is Donkey Kong a good pair with Fox? I recently picked up Donkey and he kicks ***. I also got GAW and Marth as mains, but i'm justwondering if Donkey and Fox makes a good combination?
I think so, DK gets ***** by DDD and Fox goes pretty even with him. DK also does well against MK, G&W, Luigi, Kirby which are all hard matchups for Fox.

Top Bottom