• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
A rising dair if your sure it will land, probably will lead into the most options.

tonyrulz92

Smash Apprentice
I was wondering can Fox boost smash or do that thing where he hits a dash attack then cancels it into an up smash? I think its called DLX cancel or gatling combo im not sure. Thanks for the help.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
his boost smash sucks, and he can't gatling combo.

Off topic advice: nair is way too ****ing good. It's only problem is that it sucks.

Another thing: you don't need to ledgehop an illusion, you can just ledgejump and do it immediately, so you'll have more invincibility frames.

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
Why was there such a drastic fall in fox's tier placement? He certainly maintained much of the speed that he was first praised and furthermore, so far as i can tell, can still stand toe-to-toe with some of the meatier characters. I must be missing something critical.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
His recovery blows. He gets ***** by MK, Falco, G&W, and Marth. he gets wtfpwnd by pikachu.
Do you even play Fox? His recovery isn't God-tier but it's adequate. Falco only has like a 60:40 on him.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
Yes, i do actually play fox. And yes, his recovery is pretty bad. If he's outside of range for a DJ fair, all anyone has to do is wait for an illusion, shining doesn't change that status. If you fall below the edge, then you have to firefox, at which point, they have an hour to adjust to edgeguard for firefox.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
That's why you just DI properly. It shouldn't be that much of an issue if you know how to DI.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Yes, i do actually play fox. And yes, his recovery is pretty bad. If he's outside of range for a DJ fair, all anyone has to do is wait for an illusion, shining doesn't change that status. If you fall below the edge, then you have to firefox, at which point, they have an hour to adjust to edgeguard for firefox.
Well just like saying Lucas Recovery is bad because to PKT2 when he is under the stage Pk fire>PKf Magnet or PKT2 when horizontal from stage.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I'm not even sure what you are saying, but Lucas' recovery IS bad, so i hope that's not the example you're making.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I'm not even sure what you are saying, but Lucas' recovery IS bad, so i hope that's not the example you're making.
Well it was because their recoveries are both linear but they arent horrible they ok but can get predictable. Anyways to mix it up Fox can cancel his Illision at different times.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
and stopping the illusion at different times is the only mixup you have? You only have 2 places you can go: to the edge, or to the stage. Just pick one and throw out a knee. (prior knowledge knee lol)

Jenkins

Smash Lord
is there a list of all of fox's ATs in brawl yet? i haven't seen one in the boards... maybe i'm not looking hard enough xD

Jenkins

Smash Lord
and also, has anyone noticed that when you jump into a computer while they are using fire-fox, the computer occassionally points it in a horizontal path, rather than aiming it back towards the stage...

Shadow_Bane

Smash Cadet
and also, has anyone noticed that when you jump into a computer while they are using fire-fox, the computer occassionally points it in a horizontal path, rather than aiming it back towards the stage...
What?!
I'm going to test.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
It's true, they do. Falco does it as well. Probably an error in priority objectives in the AI making them want to attack you with it instead of wanting to save themselves.

spedgod

Smash Rookie
I gots a question or two.

Is Dair good for chasing for a spike?

Also, is doing ftilt -> dair repeat seem a good combo? (I know it's other way, but ftilt at low percents has a nice enough knockback to just get them high enough for a SH dair.) Just wondering if it is liable for a constant combo until they get too high?

xoxokev

Smash Lord
I recently picked up Fox for fun, and I noticed that doing short hops with Fox has to be more precise. I feel like his jumps are so sensitive, is there any way to easily transition? Or is it just practice...?

EDIT: Also, scotu, Lucas' recovery is actually quite good... have you ever noticed how far he gets with his PKT2? Not to mention Zap Jump and Magnet Pull... Lucas even has a tether :)

SCOTU

Smash Hero
good != long.

My roomate (levitas) plays a bunch of lucas, and i know what his recovery is like. Having a lot of distance doesn't make it good if it's still easy to edgeguard.

wildjango

Smash Cadet
i have a question i just recently picked up fox so i dont know his options that well but what is my best choice of atacking if im on the ledge and ma opponent is on the stage waiting???

-Mars-

Smash Hero
i have a question i just recently picked up fox so i dont know his options that well but what is my best choice of atacking if im on the ledge and ma opponent is on the stage waiting???
A ledge-drop fair.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
ledge hop air dodge, dair, fair, nair
edge jump illusion, nair
edge attack.

I've never tried this, but it seems ******** in the way it might actually work exactly once:
ledge stall w/ firefox (assuming they don't just **** you right there), and finally edgepop a firefox. People often forget you can forgo sweetspotting.

Fox8787

Smash Rookie
hey just joined and need to know if theres combo videos for Fox that i haven't found on youtube for brawl. im trying to main him again and theres lots of changes btw melee fox and brawl fox cuz i used to main him in melee (like everyone else lol). thx!

~Fox8787~

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
hey just joined and need to know if theres combo videos for Fox that i haven't found on youtube for brawl. im trying to main him again and theres lots of changes btw melee fox and brawl fox cuz i used to main him in melee (like everyone else lol). thx!

~Fox8787~
Check out the Fox video archive thread. It's stickied at the top.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Can we dicuss the d-tilt and it's uses?

So far I know it has Isai frames
and knockback depends on where the tail hit.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
It blows. One of fox's worst moves. If you have an urge to use dtilt, try dsmash or ftilt instead, that's usually what you meant to do anyways.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Ok some serious coming your way.
1) Is DAC useful for Fox?
2) What is the best way to peform PWG with maxium distance?
3) Is Boost Grabbing useful for Fox?
4) Doesn't Dair cause hitlag longer when the opponet is in the mid-air rather than on the ground?
5) I have seen and heard that U-air has high priority from Lucien (not sure if name is spelled right) is that Fox's highest mid-air priority?
6) I did one thing I dont know it if can be a edgeguarding move but, as soon as I ran of a stage I use Foxfire and slid a good distace away from the and aim back at it (only thing is you edgestall as your Foxfire is going at the edge leaving you open) and also i did the same thing but i did a 180 while sliding out and slide back in. this all sounds confusing but ill try to get a vid of it.
7) Can fox PHAKEOUT?

Ok let's get the thread moving!

Zhamy

Smash Champion
1) Is DAC useful for Fox?
Situational.

2) What is the best way to peform PWG with maxium distance?
The way the Dojo told you.

3) Is Boost Grabbing useful for Fox?
Meh. I've found it to be a playstyle thing.

4) Doesn't Dair cause hitlag longer when the opponet is in the mid-air rather than on the ground?
Not that I know of, but ask scotu for the frame data.

5) I have seen and heard that U-air has high priority from Lucien (not sure if name is spelled right) is that Fox's highest mid-air priority?
Uair does have high priority; what are you thinking of using it for?

6) I did one thing I dont know it if can be a edgeguarding move but, as soon as I ran of a stage I use Foxfire and slid a good distace away from the and aim back at it (only thing is you edgestall as your Foxfire is going at the edge leaving you open) and also i did the same thing but i did a 180 while sliding out and slide back in. this all sounds confusing but ill try to get a vid of it.
So basically, your Firefox slid away from the edge? There was a name for this mechanic, but I don't quite remember what it was. Either way, it's a crappy way to edgeguard.

7) Can fox PHAKEOUT?
You know, I realized I'm a mean, horrible person who insults all the noobs that come to the Fox boards, but I figure someone has to do it, right?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Situational.

The way the Dojo told you.

Meh. I've found it to be a playstyle thing.

Not that I know of, but ask scotu for the frame data.

Uair does have high priority; what are you thinking of using it for?

So basically, your Firefox slid away from the edge? There was a name for this mechanic, but I don't quite remember what it was. Either way, it's a crappy way to edgeguard.

You know, I realized I'm a mean, horrible person who insults all the noobs that come to the Fox boards, but I figure someone has to do it, right?
7) your not mean and you misunderstood it PHAKEOUT as In illision to edge and instead of grabbing it you hit a normal falling animation and able to a DJ to anything out of it.

P.S. I been around awhile I'm not a noob,

Top Bottom