• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
It's MK's best stage and Fox is at a 75:25 disadvantage to him anyway (IMO, I think it's listed as 70:30, or it should be) so you aren't going to win here unless

1.Your Fox is amazing and their MK is decent to bad
2. Your Fox is decent and their MK is horrible

That's about it, ban that against MK. And Pika is by far Fox's worst matchup, 90-10.

So in conclusion, you are wrong, never use this against MK, no matter if it's a main or not, because think about it (that's the Fox Boards' problem FTMP), one person's main could be worse than another guy's secondary, the player's skill is more important than whether of not the character is the person's main or not.
75:25? uh... I disagree wholeheartedly, but that's your opinion, as you stated, so I'll leave it alone.

And of course player skill matters... That's obvious. I just know a lot of players that will CP Mansion and play MK on it because it's known to be good. Are they amazing with MK? uh..no... but they still use him on his stage... and as such, I'm really not that scared of that. I've beaten MK mains there, too... so *shrug* I have no problem with it.

Now all that said, I have never CPed Mansion, nor do I ever plan to.. I was not saying that any Fox should CP that stage, really...
I was simply stating that Fox players shouldn't be afraid of the stage against most players... it's VERY good for him, too.

so I guess to clarify, I do not feel that a Fox should necessarily be CPing or banning Mansion in tournament play.

There are several Foxes around who are having a very good time against MKs lately.
The best GW player in FL, xYz, picked up Fox because of me, and told me he "wrecked some NY MKs with him", for one example. I really don't know who or what he means by this, but that's what he stated so *shrug*

I still feel that the match needs to be reevaluated. I'm not trying to start a flame war or huge argument, but I think results, however rare they may be, are starting to show Foxes winning that match... I am set to wait and see if this continues, though. I am very curious to see if, as more Foxes rise, and the ones in place are more developed, that won't become more widely known.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
lets not bring matchup discussions to the Q&A thread plz for the love of any supreme being that you may or may not care about.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
according to some non reliable source on AiB, the shine does not get hit by ZSS' frame 1 jab, indicating it has invincibility on at least frame 1, but I have not confirmed this, nor should it be believe.

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
I hate to bring this up again, but I didn't see an answer to it, and was really hoping for a reply. here it is again:

I've been thinking... How would Jungle Japes do as a Fox stage? Fox can do a ton of useful tricks on the stage.

For instance, this video shows some of the stuff he can do with illusion on the platforms, and it got me thinking: wouldn't this be a very good way of hit&run tactics? Continuously run from the opponent with illusion, using the ledges for lots of invincibility frames, and whenever you get any breathing room, fire a few lasers and continue running away. you've got a ton of options for moving, and can always use the river for faster transportation! :laugh:

Of course, if you don't want to play a stalling game, you can use it for fast and near-immediate edgeguarding (0:10 and 0:17), as well as very good escape options (0:28, though the timing is more difficult with a ledge hop, and 0:26, where you just drop from the ledge and sideB).

Plus, your get up attack covers the entire platform, making it more difficult to edgeguard you. It's also fairly easy to get early kills by edgeguarding on the left side with Dair and Shine.

Now, the bad part is that it has a freakin' huge ceiling, which means Usmash won't kill for like an extra 30%. But, Dsmash and Fsmash at the sides leads to insanely low KO's.

I don't know, what do you guys think? Do the advantages outweigh the inability to KO well with Usmash?
A response would be great. :lick:

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
^^^ Well you pretty much covered everything! Did you know that the Falco boards were disappointed when Jungle Japes was banned. If Falco is awesome there then Fox is surely awesome there. I think Reflector to River Water is win...

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
^^^ Well you pretty much covered everything! Did you know that the Falco boards were disappointed when Jungle Japes was banned. If Falco is awesome there then Fox is surely awesome there. I think Reflector to River Water is win...
Not really, because one reason Falco is beastly there (I second Falco, Fox, and Wolf to my Marth) is because he had the CG->spike into the river as an instant death combo near the left side from 0.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Did anyone know that Vidjo mained Fox in Brawl?

He just got 1st at a MW Tourney (~60 attendance?) with Peach and Fox and has been friggin under the radar for about 3 months lol.

I'm sure OS got the finals, so he'll be uploading them soon. His Fox is probably very impressive; I only hope that you guys appreciate them seeing as you seem that have a distaste for unique styles (though I'm not going to argue that NL wasn't impractical...)

Karttibone

Smash Cadet
I am not a pro nor am I new to Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
But there's one thing that bothers me.

I keep losing against the Yoshi of my friend.

When he's using forward B I just keep flying, no matter what I try. The safest thing I can do is evading by rolling. His Smash has too much range for me and the Down B starts too serious get in my way with the annoying stars that show up (odd I have only problems with Yoshi not DDD)

Can anyone help me out?

Coda

Smash Cadet
to what uses does Shine after being thrown up into the air used for?

Other than avoiding a possible follow up attack...

but is the slight raise benefetial?

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
@Karttibone: dair and nair can beat yoshi's forward b. also, when yoshi uses his down b, just hit him from the air rather from the ground. it won't be too hard since it has alot of landing lag.

@Coda: just to avoid another attack. when your opponent is falling after his attack, you can attack them with a dair.

NeverKnowsBest

Monochrome Like A Panda
I'm sure OS got the finals, so he'll be uploading them soon. His Fox is probably very impressive; I only hope that you guys appreciate them seeing as you seem that have a distaste for unique styles (though I'm not going to argue that NL wasn't impractical...)
Wait, wait, wait...are you saying Fox style of play isn't unique? Because I beg to differ...strongly.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
afaik, any move can trip if it hits their opponent in the legs, however, it may not if it hits them at a high enough angle, which the dtilt would qualify for. I don't really remember.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
afaik, any move can trip if it hits their opponent in the legs, however, it may not if it hits them at a high enough angle, which the dtilt would qualify for. I don't really remember.
I've seen aerials to the head knock people down, noticably CF's knee.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
I find Dtilt pretty much useless though i used it alot with Falco n Melee, it was a good killing move. But not i sometimes combo it with Dair, but no.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
I know you're not supposed to ask who you're supposed to play, but does anyone have any good suggestions on other characters to look at picking up to help counter some of Fox's weakness?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I haven't used this a lot, but SHing net to someones shield and then shining repeatedly on the way down might work, I gotta test this though. It sure would be annoying.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
I know you're not supposed to ask who you're supposed to play, but does anyone have any good suggestions on other characters to look at picking up to help counter some of Fox's weakness?
Metaknight. He's fast, KO's well, and is light (similar to fox) and covers all of fox's bad matchups

Does Fox have any shield pressuring tatics other than SH Dair> FoxFire?
Only legit shield pressure for fox: Grab
Fox has no blockstrings.

I haven't used this a lot, but SHing net to someones shield and then shining repeatedly on the way down might work, I gotta test this though. It sure would be annoying.
It's stupid easy to hit the fox out of that. not to mention that MK, Marth have DPs out of shield too.

S1NN

Smash Rookie
Im not new to brawl I am pretty good but im no where near as good as most people on this forum I cant do most of the crazy techniques but i have an issue my friend is a lucas player and i just cant beat him he dodges me alot and im not sure how to approach him also if i do get him to high percentages it takes me forever to land a kill any ideas? anything I can work on/practice to be better with fox?

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Im not new to brawl I am pretty good but im no where near as good as most people on this forum I cant do most of the crazy techniques but i have an issue my friend is a lucas player and i just cant beat him he dodges me alot and im not sure how to approach him also if i do get him to high percentages it takes me forever to land a kill any ideas? anything I can work on/practice to be better with fox?
Make him approach with laser, pratice SHL, SHDL, ( dont recommend SHTL)
For the High Percents kills.. problems you say? Well thats on your be sure not to be predict the average Fox usually does a Running Usmash so try being different sorry I cant break this down to you just keep him guessing. Punish his mistakes, Approach when neccesary, and make him approach just exchange between those and you will be doing great. Post some vids of you playing I would love to help.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You've never played some of my friends obviously. One of them thinks that if you repeatedly use Fox's Fsmash across the stage, it is a lock and you can't escape from it. I did it to him like for times today.
Wow maybe you should try to help him he sounds like an idiot and it would help you on your side so you wont create bad habits but then again I just started helping my friends because they were mad that i was starting to move on to tournies and they werent advancing anywhere.

P.S. They used to be my punching bag and i laugh at thier attempts so I used to be like you.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Lol 4th post in a row?
Does Fox's Uair beat all of Snake's Midairs
Sorry for triple post but hmm...
What are good options for legdehopped attacks?
Wow maybe you should try to help him he sounds like an idiot and it would help you on your side so you wont create bad habits but then again I just started helping my friends because they were mad that i was starting to move on to tournies and they werent advancing anywhere.

P.S. They used to be my punching bag and i laugh at thier attempts so I used to be like you.
Wow, dude you don't understand how much I've helped some of my friends. Scrub->tourney level for a few of them. taught them all to DI, best moves for their character, how to approach campers, how not to spam, etc.

Make him approach with laser, pratice SHL, SHDL, ( dont recommend SHTL)
For the High Percents kills.. problems you say? Well thats on your be sure not to be predict the average Fox usually does a Running Usmash so try being different sorry I cant break this down to you just keep him guessing. Punish his mistakes, Approach when neccesary, and make him approach just exchange between those and you will be doing great. Post some vids of you playing I would love to help.

Quadruple posts aren't tolerated on SWF, please just edit your previous posts.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Wow, dude you don't understand how much I've helped some of my friends. Scrub->tourney level for a few of them. taught them all to DI, best moves for their character, how to approach campers, how not to spam, etc.

Quadruple posts aren't tolerated on SWF, please just edit your previous posts.
Oh sorry, I'll remember. But could you answer those questions.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Sorry for triple post but hmm...
What are good options for legdehopped attacks?
Illusion is probably the most common, Fair can work if they are crowding, Nair is good through the stage IMO, and Uair if they are jumping over you. Why they could do this I don't know. If they are far away you can also Laser to rack up easy damage.

Top Bottom