• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

LiNKoMAC

Smash Rookie
Let me rephrase the question...

Is it safe to shine around my opponent to stall as a mind game, and then punish them? (that is of course if it works out)

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Let me rephrase the question...

Is it safe to shine around my opponent to stall as a mind game, and then punish them? (that is of course if it works out)
against most characters, yes. but think about the opponents range or their options while they are in shield "some people will react with a shield when close enough, thinking your going to rush in". for example, above snake when your on high damage it may be risky for you to shine above him in his range of a up aerial. although this is only an issue if they predict it or if they have fast reactions i think.

LiNKoMAC

Smash Rookie
So it is good, just as long as I don't repeat this technique frequently to avoid the opponent punishing me for it. Thanks!

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
What are some very, very character specific stunts that Fox can do?

Kuares

Pizza
What are some very, very character specific stunts that Fox can do?
If you can get a Falco in a mid distance laser battle with you, you can empty short hop fast fall while he's Shdl'ing, then you have time to dash in and up smash.

Edge gaurding, Fire-bird is the easiest thing to stop. Just time a shine to be in his trajectory when he blows and he'll die. Phantasm, F-smash works half the time but has to be started before Falco starts moving.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Hey I've got a tournament coming up and I need help with the Snake matchup. Any suggestions?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
Hey I've got a tournament coming up and I need help with the Snake matchup. Any suggestions?
shine is your friend, it stops pretty much everything that explodes from him.

also nair and drill clank his up-smash, ABUSE that.

also laser constantly, even ****ty double lasers will hit a standing snake.

don't get cocky and do standing ones he will crouch and d-tilt you.

you can grab release kill him after his tripple jump, foot stool him after he C$'s himself to recover. and bair him when he flies above the stage.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Uzi, and do you know how many Utilts Fox can do before Snake manages to pull out a grenade to stop a Utilt string?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Indeed you do, she's horrible. <3

now, what characters do you guys like to standing laser? or do you all like looking cool and triple lasering? big maps being a must, What chars harm our Close combat? Gah, I think I might take a huge break from double maining just to actually learn fox.

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
Yo I went to a tourney last saturday and placed 5th out of 45.I lost to JesterKirby who himself,played as Kirby and had the sickest defense I'd ever seen.Any specific counters to Kirby with Fox?I definitely didn't play him airborne for Kirby rocks Fox's socks in the air and no edge game would have helped me. SHTL was one of my best defensive plays and trying to bait him was my only solution.I wanna have a good solid counter the next time I play him.Any advice would be appreiciated.

C.R.Z

Smash Lord
Yo I went to a tourney last saturday and placed 5th out of 45.I lost to JesterKirby who himself,played as Kirby and had the sickest defense I'd ever seen.Any specific counters to Kirby with Fox?I definitely didn't play him airborne for Kirby rocks Fox's socks in the air and no edge game would have helped me. SHTL was one of my best defensive plays and trying to bait him was my only solution.I wanna have a good solid counter the next time I play him.Any advice would be appreiciated.
basically yeah you want to play defensive but you also want to punish his whiffs. kirby is a very aerial happy character, use that to your advantage. hes always going to approach you since you have lazers, keep it that way, remember your in control of the match. in order to punish his bair's you must identify/predict when he will do them and punish depending on spacing.if you dash shield them you can short hop auto cancel fair them. this will rack up allot of damage and provides many opportunities for follow ups.The mistake you made is thinking your aerials suck or fox sucks in the air, fox has alot of solid options in when fighting airborne. if they get to close either airdodge through them, full hop dair or nair or even roll, you dont have to block everything.

try not to get grabbed early on as it will give kirby a decent lead, however dont try and escape close quarters combat range all the time. most of the time you will want to punish there attempts with grabs and uptilts. use crossups to mix it up from time to time. kirby is small so it is allot easier to jump over kirby with a short hop than say snake.dash in grabs are always a good idea. when below kirby go for the uairs. its hard for kirby to fight back as dair is not that fast to start up.Remember to play patient, look out for holes in there game play, look for patterns an abuse your speed.

if you want more depth into the MU ask TKD nicely and see if he can give you some tips as he is probably the most experienced fox against kirbys (playing mogX allot and playing chudat in a tournament set). hopefully i helped

Talon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talon
3DS FC
0404-8185-5062
basically yeah you want to play defensive but you also want to punish his whiffs. kirby is a very aerial happy character, use that to your advantage. hes always going to approach you since you have lazers, keep it that way, remember your in control of the match. in order to punish his bair's you must identify/predict when he will do them and punish depending on spacing.if you dash shield them you can short hop auto cancel fair them. this will rack up allot of damage and provides many opportunities for follow ups.The mistake you made is thinking your aerials suck or fox sucks in the air, fox has alot of solid options in when fighting airborne. if they get to close either airdodge through them, full hop dair or nair or even roll, you dont have to block everything.

try not to get grabbed early on as it will give kirby a decent lead, however dont try and escape close quarters combat range all the time. most of the time you will want to punish there attempts with grabs and uptilts. use crossups to mix it up from time to time. kirby is small so it is allot easier to jump over kirby with a short hop than say snake.dash in grabs are always a good idea. when below kirby go for the uairs. its hard for kirby to fight back as dair is not that fast to start up.Remember to play patient, look out for holes in there game play, look for patterns an abuse your speed.

if you want more depth into the MU ask TKD nicely and see if he can give you some tips as he is probably the most experienced fox against kirbys (playing mogX allot and playing chudat in a tournament set). hopefully i helped
Definitely appreiciate the help.I'll take all the advice to full heart and work on more mixups.I'll see if I can get a hold of TKD for his opinion.Thanks. ^-^

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
just speculating here, but if he's using lots of low to the ground bairs and your quick enough you might be able to double jump over the bair and dair him.

Chef, that's really just the OTL members placing in tournaments. Not a lot of them use Fox, and when they do they do incredibly poorly. If we were to get this from AiB's perspective in terms of online usage, then Fox would be much higher.

Iblis, I would critique your video if I could say with confidence that I was the slightest bit decent with Fox. This however, is not the case, so you will have to rely on your Foxxy Furry friends to do it for you.

Chef Fox

Smash Apprentice
Okay thanks, I'll look at AiB

EDIT: Does a cancelled Fox Illusion have less landing lag than a regular one?

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
what are good characters to shine dash?
any character really just get in distance. About a f tilt away and you can land it pretty easily if you jump cancel the shine of course, then depending on how they react to that you can choose your options from there.

i.e. dash attack, dash shield grab, u smash, basically any attack just dash up to them and shield and see what they do.

You have to consider the hitstun ftilt gives, where it hits you, if it pops you up etc etc. Frame data says you can, but putting everything else into account, you cant.

Kuares

Pizza
So I have a problem fighting Meta-Knight, the 2 MK's(they're not too good) in my area I know how to beat but whenever I go elsewhere I can't seem to deal with the different playstyles.

Basically what I want to know is, how do you fight meta-knight?

Uzima (Uzi)

Smash Lord
I desperately need help wit reverse SHTL
again I use L for the FIRST laser and B for the other 2
but I play wit my pointer finger AND thumb on the analog
HELP >_>
HELP >_>

I play wit my pointer finger AND thumb on the analog
pointer finger AND thumb
pointer finger AND thumb

crifer

Smash Lord
I desperately need help wit reverse SHTL
again I use L for the FIRST laser and B for the other 2
HELP >_>
It´s important that you make sure, that youunderstand the mechanics.
If you run in one direction you input jump and the first laser and THEN immediately press the other direction on the analog stick. After that do the other two lasers. I think RAR B-reversed SHTL is much more difficult, although doable.

RPK

Smash Lord
When doing a SHTL like that, remember to let go so you can actually do the laser o3o. Other than that your other thumb should go as the following. Y>B>B>B. Have your thumb slip from Y to B and just press B three times in something reminiscent to 16th or 32nd notes.

Robfox

Smash Lord
Wat can I say, im different

It´s important that you make sure, that youunderstand the mechanics.
If you run in one direction you input jump and the first laser and THEN immediately press the other direction on the analog stick. After that do the other two lasers. I think RAR B-reversed SHTL is much more difficult, although doable.
Kinda tuff wen I use my middle finger for L. It usually jus turns into Fox illusion -__-

When doing a SHTL like that, remember to let go so you can actually do the laser o3o. Other than that your other thumb should go as the following. Y>B>B>B. Have your thumb slip from Y to B and just press B three times in something reminiscent to 16th or 32nd notes.
My thumb isn't fast enough to do SHTL on its own
which is why I USE L FOR THE 1ST LASER!!!
thnkz tho

Top Bottom