• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you prefer Melee over Brawl?

Sliq

Smash Master
Yup, we don't want to play something that's practically the same thing in every concept.
Yeah, now instead of racking up damage and knocking your enemy off the stage, you rack up damage on your opponent and knock them off the stage!

lol brwal is a nu gaem lol!!!!!!11111oneoneeleventyone

Balloon

Smash Lord
Brawl plays like a game where you can fall asleep while playing it.

I am a highly competitive Melee player. I played Brawl for over 6 hours straight trying out quite a lot of stuff, anything I could think of. There just isn't nearly as much room for creativity in the game as in Melee.

The game was fun. Really fun. For two hours. Then I was bored and wanted to play my computer (I was at a giant LAN party). However, I wanted to stick around and play it, hoping to somehow come across something that changed my initial opinion on the game.

No such thing happened.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
I played Brawl for four hours without items and I had a blast. This is still running ten million circles around my head. :/

Then again I haven't played in high level tournaments so--*torn to shreds by angry Sliq*

Gindler

Smash Champion
for all you people that think l cancel isn't in brawl, you're wrong.

and as for wavedashing, who cares if it's gone. Guess we'll just have to do what we did before it was discovered. SMASH the old fashioned way.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Where the hell is the lock? Doesn't anyone else agree that this thread is just like all the other "Brawl isn't melee 2.0" threads that get locked?

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Geez, the game is kinda out sort of so we can talk about it to a degree, but most of us haven't played it yet so we can't say a whole lot.

But, it is a new game, im sure something will develop that will be awsome as far as depth; i believe like Samurai Panda said that Brawl is "The evolution of smash" and so i think any pros from melee should be able to convert very easily, albeit with a little adjustment but true smashers at heart should be able to switch over fairly easily.

so lets please Evolve as a community, We need some sort of official "Brawl will replace melee as the tournament game" kind of petiton or something, the community is what makes the game, not whatever physics exploits were/were not included in following games. Let's please not kill Brawl it looks like an amazing game that is the next step up im smash play, even if its not exactly like its predecessor, it still looks incredibly deep. Some say not to look at it like melee, and that is true, but its missleading. We need to look at is as smash; regardless of what comes after that in its name, they are somewhat comparable, and yet different at the same time.

Let's just decide to play brawl and MAKE it competative; we'll find something, in someways we already have, the bowser infinate jump thing is awsome :-)

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Just because its the next game in the series doesn't mean its the evolution of smash. Street fighter 2 is still a much more popular tournament game than street fighter 3 is, and street fighter 4 is something of a throwback to 2.

RednaXale

Smash Apprentice
Because they suck at it and can't stand to start over when they have developed all their skills in Melee.

Ruckus

Smash Cadet
South San Francisco, California, United States, No
lol im okay at ssbm i understand and use some advice techs
I also have much respeck for the elite smashers
the smash nubs need to listen to ppl who are better than them, not dissmiss their justified opinions.
Maybe these ppl are sick of getting shffl combo meteor (add advice tech) and turned bitter over not being physically and mentally able to execute these techs (let alone provide arguements with support)
lol any way brawl should be some fun casual play
this games just has too many features to pass on , you know its true
played ssb but never owned a copy who thinks it should be added to the wii console system

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Brawl is a much more forgiving game than melee.

The fact that it's slower means that less physical dexterity is required.
Things like auto ledge sweet spotting and the huge ledge snap box make recovery much easier.
Reduced combo ability means you can't be punished quite as harshly for your mistakes.

Brawl doesn't completely lack depth or skill requirements, however the above mentioned points do in fact make it a less "competitive" game by nature. Sakurai wanted a more accessible "fun" game that anyone could play, and it shows in every aspect of the game.

I'm not saying that Brawl isn't fun, it's VERY fun, but it's never going to be the same brutal unforgiving sport that melee was.

And that is why a lot of people prefer melee.

h1roshi

Smash Hero
Kissimmee, Florida playing melee! (f*** brawl, th
easy, they are still stuck in melee mode. it really is that simple. they cant fathom a game without their fancy tricks and melee physics.(i'm obviously not a noob for anyone dumb enough to think so. ive been in the competitive game since '05, but im ready to leave and explore a new game) I for one love melee, but am readily able to move on to brawl. I've only really played brawl for two LONG sessions, and i love it and im hooked. im so ready to move on and start a whole new journey with a whole new game. give them time. they will all move on to brawl....peace

-hiro

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Just because its the next game in the series doesn't mean its the evolution of smash. Street fighter 2 is still a much more popular tournament game than street fighter 3 is, and street fighter 4 is something of a throwback to 2.
Actually Street Fighter 2 is not a more popular tournament game than Street Fighter 3. In fact, it's not even close, at least not in the US or Japan. It's just one of the few cases where an old iteration in a series remained a stable tournament game after its successor came out.

Davy Jones

Smash Ace
Ive seen some people make post over the internet saying they've played Brawl and switched back to Melee. I haven't played Brawl yet either, still, its hard for me to comprehend that =(. Though, ive been excited for this game for months.

EDIT: No, to all of you people inferring, im not simple minded. Im simply stating that I personally prefer Brawl over Melee seeing as Brawl does improve on it quite a bit. Enough for me to not ***** about small things

EDIT 2: Also, I AM NOT A BRAWL PARADER. My question is WHY would your prefer melee over brawl. Im not saying its a bad decision, im saying its hard for me to comprehend. I was looking for enlightenment and all I got was more Paraders and idiots acting like I was insulting them. Thus, if you cant answer a simple question as to "why?" and all you can say is how you dont see why I dont understand it. Then gtfo. Your no help
There are more reasons:
1) They have downloaded the Jpn V. and play it on an emu, but can't get a thing.
2) Their main is Roy/ Dr/ Mewtwo
3) They love ol' stages.
4) They dont like the ai cuz it's too good.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna bother to read the entire thread cuz I got kind of tired of Ichida's blatantly rude and horrible incorrect posts. So I'll apologize in advanced if this exact answer has come up.

Melee had all the essential aspects to create a great competitive game. It provided both technical (l-canceling / jab -> grabs / wavedash etc.) and psychological (edgeguarding / DI dependent combos etc.) features that added a lot of depth. Competitive players took to these aspects and honed skills to compete with other tournament players, which is a lot of fun if you're into competition.

Brawl, while being a great game, falls short on the amount of depth that Melee had. Brawl is still an amazing game, but at the moment it hasn't proved to have a lot of depth, which is fine for a lot of gamers. There are many people who are entirely content with the addition of new features and characters and couldn't care less that Brawl isn't going to be competitive. These are the people who are going to enjoy Brawl much more than Melee.

This of course, is not to say that there won't be competitive Melee players that enjoy Brawl. I'm not sure how the notion that competitive players only play 1v1 no items FD all the time. I'm being a bit facetious by that stereotype, but not much. I assume that this idea probably came from youtube vids. In fact, many competitive players enjoy playing with items, free for alls, etc. The only reason those videos aren't on youtube is because no one would care about them. It'd be like posting casual basketball practice opposed to an actual game. The game is clearly more exciting to watch.

If you're too lazy to read all that atleast read this

HOW SOMEONE COULD PREFER MELEE OVER BRAWL:
At the moment Melee provides more depth since players are familiarized with all the ins and outs. Meanwhile, Brawl potentially could be a great competitive game, at the moment it really fails to deliver. Many competitive player prefer Melee.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Yeah, now instead of racking up damage and knocking your enemy off the stage, you rack up damage on your opponent and knock them off the stage!

lol brwal is a nu gaem lol!!!!!!11111oneoneeleventyone

Yeah, now instead of racking up damage and knocking your enemy off the stage gimping the **** out of your opponent using various strings of gay maneuvers, you rack up damage on your opponent and knock them off the stage!

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
I'm not gonna bother to read the entire thread cuz I got kind of tired of Ichida's blatantly rude and horrible incorrect posts. So I'll apologize in advanced if this exact answer has come up.
QTF. I still read the entire thread though. Don't worry, you didn't miss much <____<

HOW SOMEONE COULD PREFER MELEE OVER BRAWL:
At the moment Melee provides more depth since players are familiarized with all the ins and outs. Meanwhile, Brawl potentially could be a great competitive game, at the moment it really fails to deliver. Many competitive player prefer Melee.
Intelligence in Brawl Discussion? No wei!!1!111!!oneelevenoneone
This is basically the very essence of the argument presented by so many people in this thread vocalized much more effectively.

On a side note, I don't understand how a matter of preference warrants the level of verbal assault this thread has escalated to -______- Just play the **** game.

Sliq

Smash Master
Yeah, now instead of racking up damage and knocking your enemy off the stage gimping the **** out of your oponent using various gay strings of maneuvers, you rack up damage on your opponent and knock them off the stage!
If you get gimped, then you did something stupid to deserve it. Either that, or the character you picked is bad and therefor prone to failure, in which case it is a character problem, not gameplay mechanic.

Brookman

Smash Hero
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KIm3unNQk

PC: Yea, I added enough damage to kill him with up smash!
mango: ****, I hardly hit him that stock...oh wait, it doesn't really matter...

if Jigglypuff's rest isn't considered a part of gameplay mechanics then...wtf are we playing this game for?

Even the best players get shine spiked or ken combo'd or gayed out by sheik. The name of the game is get your opponent off the stage and keep them there. In jigg's case it's float around looking cute till you've seduced the opponent into sleeping with you.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z4KIm3unNQk

PC: Yea, I added enough damage to kill him with up smash!
mango: ****, I hardly hit him that stock...oh wait, it doesn't really matter...

if Jigglypuff's rest isn't considered a part of gameplay mechanics then...wtf are we playing this game for?
Jigglypuff's rest is never guaranteed unless:
* The opponent doesn't DI an Up-tilt
* The opponent doesn't DI an Up-tilt/Upthrow or they're a fastfaller and have pretty much 0% of damage at the time

This is not a game mechanic problem, it's a character problem (character counterpicks). Not everyone gets gimped by Jigglypuff (or she'd be God Tier). However, fastfallers are easily gimped by her. At the same time, Fox and Falco are incredibly hard matchups for her, especially in NTSC (stronger Upsmash and more potent Dair). So it's not even really a character counterpick, it's just easier to gimp Fox and Falco with Jigglypuff than certain other characters but then again, they are easily gimped by pretty much everyone.

On the other hand, they're the Top Tiers of Melee, unchallenged and unrivaled and can easily gimp everyone in turn.

It's an uphill battle for her unless her opponents screw up. She's got a limited grandrange and the Fastfallers are among the hardest to grab because of how fast and safe they are. If Jiggz gets a grab in, she deserves a rest (pretty much).

Koga

Smash Journeyman
Brawl doesn't completely lack depth or skill requirements, however the above mentioned points do in fact make it a less "competitive" game by nature. Sakurai wanted a more accessible "fun" game that anyone could play, and it shows in every aspect of the game
The things it lacks doesn't make it less competative, it just makes it competative at different things, Now its not so much about the speed of imputs and execution, but rather the choice of imputs and timing as you can see by the fact that we now have Diminishing Returns on knockback of moves and in order to restore a moves original knockback you must use different techniques; this way, if a character does have a God move like peach used to, they can't just kill you with one move.

Just because it doesn't compete exactly like melee doesn't make it less competative.

6footninja

Smash Ace
QTF. I still read the entire thread though. Don't worry, you didn't miss much <____<

Intelligence in Brawl Discussion? No wei!!1!111!!oneelevenoneone
This is basically the very essence of the argument presented by so many people in this thread vocalized much more effectively.

On a side note, I don't understand how a matter of preference warrants the level of verbal assault this thread has escalated to -______- Just play the **** game.
Yeah, I have to agree there.

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
Havent seen Brawl yet so how do you prefer one over the other. Unless your in Japan or your one of those "people who got theres from sears" than you cant really prefer melee over brawl till it comes out.
If you do than your just a stuck up idiot

6footninja

Smash Ace
Havent seen Brawl yet so how do you prefer one over the other. Unless your in Japan or your one of those "people who got theres from sears" than you cant really prefer melee over brawl till it comes out.
If you do than your just a stuck up idiot
Very true, though both sides of the parade have their pros and cons.

bayonettrials

Smash Cadet
Apparently liking an old game more than a new game makes you a ***. I must be one because I loved Mario 64 and thought sunshine wasn't all that great.
Horrible, horrible example.

No one liked Sunshine over 64 period.

And in all seriousness, I enjoyed 64 above Galaxies.

The same goes with Zelda: OOT was better than MM and TP.

Horrible, horrible example.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
The fact that people think this is an accomplishment attests to the idiocy of mankind.
Every post you make only makes you look more like an idiot. Please stop trying to use such a elegant way of typing ... it's just frustrating to look at. :p

And you know, putting something on "Speed" mode in Brawl DOES NOT = Melee. Let people have their preferences. Honestly, I can bet that you haven't even PLAYED Brawl yet.

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
sonny ill ask you this question / HAVE YOU PLAYED BRAWL YET?
if you say yes your lying because the sears story was fake and you cant use a game from japan on a Wii in america
:laugh:

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
Some people are just too old fashioned to move on. Out with the old in with the new. Look at it like this if you was "ok " in melee but didn't get down all the advance techs then go to Brawl at least you have a decent chance to be better. Melee and Brawl are 2 different worlds. In the end you will have to choose the one you like to play the most. But for my sake I'm going to play Brawl and just adjust to it and enjoy it.

ManCarrot

Smash Cadet
sonny ill ask you this question / HAVE YOU PLAYED BRAWL YET?
if you say yes your lying because the sears story was fake and you cant use a game from japan on a Wii in america
:laugh:
He could have ordered a Japanese Wii and have the game so your thoughts are a little slanted and from what I hear the Sears thing was real in select stores. People have receipts to prove it and ebay transactions with UPS tracking codes. So yah.:dizzy:

6footninja

Smash Ace
He could have ordered a Japanese Wii and have the game so your thoughts are a little slanted and from what I hear the Sears thing was real in select stores. People have receipts to prove it and ebay transactions with UPS tracking codes. So yah.:dizzy:
Yeah, I would hope he wouldnt go as far as paying for a japanese wii just to get brawl early

L ryusaki

Smash Apprentice
Ha ha i have but still if you use a modchip you have a chance of just screwing up the game. An even if you have the chance for it to work it will still be dumb as heck bcuz they ship the game to you when brawl comes out in america

Thino

Smash Master
Ha ha i have but still if you use a modchip you have a chance of just screwing up the game. An even if you have the chance for it to work it will still be dumb as heck bcuz they ship the game to you when brawl comes out in america
shipped? many people got japanese brawl early from play-asia shipped very fast , what are you talking about , plus there are torrents. you'd have to really download a n update if you really want to screw up your wii , thats why people use BrickBlocker on Brawl ISOs

Top Bottom