• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you prefer Melee over Brawl?

6footninja

Smash Ace
Ive seen some people make post over the internet saying they've played Brawl and switched back to Melee. I haven't played Brawl yet either, still, its hard for me to comprehend that =(. Though, ive been excited for this game for months.

EDIT: No, to all of you people inferring, im not simple minded. Im simply stating that I personally prefer Brawl over Melee seeing as Brawl does improve on it quite a bit. Enough for me to not ***** about small things

EDIT 2: Also, I AM NOT A BRAWL PARADER. My question is WHY would your prefer melee over brawl. Im not saying its a bad decision, im saying its hard for me to comprehend. I was looking for enlightenment and all I got was more Paraders and idiots acting like I was insulting them. Thus, if you cant answer a simple question as to "why?" and all you can say is how you dont see why I dont understand it. Then gtfo. Your no help

IzunaDrop

Smash Rookie
Personal preference I guess.

Kinda like how people can prefer Super Street Fighter II Turbo over Street Fighter III Third Strike. Both games are unique and fun, so it doesn't really matter. If they want to play Melee still, let them. Who cares really?

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
I think that's where the *** in tourney*** comes from lol. (nope, not all competitive people are ***s...cause that would make me a huge one lol)

Ichida

Smash Ace
Poor immature, inadaptable, stubborn wavedashers. Leave them in the dust. We'll be enjoying Brawl over here.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Personal preference I guess.

Kinda like how people can prefer Super Street Fighter II Turbo over Street Fighter III Third Strike. Both games are unique and fun, so it doesn't really matter. If they want to play Melee still, let them. Who cares really?
I see whered your coming from. My point is am I the only one who finds it hard to comprehend.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Poor immature, inadaptable, stubborn wavedashers. Leave them in the dust. We'll be enjoying Brawl over here.
Remember when you guys said Brawl was a different game than Melee? You were right. Both are fun, but presently, Melee is strictly faster, even without this wavedashing you seem to hate so much.

NessOnett

Smash Journeyman
I see whered your coming from. My point is am I the only one who finds it hard to comprehend.
Perhaps you are, because most people completely understand. They are too used to melee and don't want to give up all the practice they have put into it, and they think that it will still be the tournament standard(boy are they mistaken). I think Ichida put it well.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice

people like you make me lol.

I have played both. I like both. Just like the guy said about the streetfighter 2 and 3 it all depends on what u like and whats different. I like some things about brawl. I like some thigns about melee. and I will continue to play both :). I feel personally teams are much more fun on brawl. and I feel I like 1v1 on melee a little more. (unless i'm playing diddy or Ike then its about even.)

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
Well Melee is a legendary game and very good in speed, tecnical battles.

Brawl has its points but melee will always offer something different from brawl.

Its a matter of tastes.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Perhaps you are, because most people completely understand. They are too used to melee and don't want to give up all the practice they have put into it, and they think that it will still be the tournament standard(boy are they mistaken). I think Ichida put it well.
I wouldnt go as far as saying that, obviously im not alone here.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'll tell you what I told everyone else who *****es about the speed.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various04.html

See where it says SPEED?

Yeah. Have fun.
Ever hear of Lightning Melee?

Yeah. Not as fun as playing the actual game.

I didn't complain about the speed, but there's no denying that Melee play is faster than Brawl play as things are right now. Funny thing is, I don't even prefer Melee to Brawl; I'm just pointing out some things. But you're already showing open hostility to me. orz

Ichida

Smash Ace
Having to repeat something like this as often as I have tends to frustrate a person.

*shrug* Ah well. Less people to clog up the Brawl servers.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I also forgot to point out some people's preference of Smash 64 of Melee. :V

Doesn't seem hard to envision a preference of one installment over another.

fr0st2k

Smash Journeyman
dude... the people that are going back to melee are seriously just stubburn.

They will all go to brawl eventually, because thats what happens with EVERY series. The new one comes out, people ***** and complain about how its not like the old one, they refuse to play the new one, then once everyone figures the game out fo rthem, they switch tothe new one.

Win32

Smash Rookie
I'll tell you what I told everyone else who *****es about the speed.

http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various04.html

See where it says SPEED?

Yeah. Have fun.
lmaoooooooooo. oh man, you're hilarious. People atm are preferring Melee because as of right now. it's a deeper fighting game. Now i have both Melee and Brawl and i've been playing Brawl nonstop. Brawl is amazing. However, i can see why some people will prefer Melee over brawl.
And for the record, things like wavedashing made melee as deep as it is. People are just hoping Brawl will be as deep because in order for a game to be played for years and years. It has to be.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I also forgot to point out some people's preference of Smash 64 of Melee. :V

Doesn't seem hard to envision a preference of one installment over another.
Ok its not like its making me get in the fetal position in a corner or sumthin. Jeez im just saying its something I wouldn't do. So this seems like a logical question im asking.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm not saying you're stupid or overreacting or something, god dammit, why do people keep thinking I'm making subtle personal attacks in my posts?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
dude... the people that are going back to melee are seriously just stubburn.

They will all go to brawl eventually, because thats what happens with EVERY series. The new one comes out, people ***** and complain about how its not like the old one, they refuse to play the new one, then once everyone figures the game out fo rthem, they switch tothe new one.
Soul Caliber and Tekken people say hi. In fact, every series installment says hi in a much smaller scale. :x

Edit: Ankoku, cause you are not saying you don't understand how people can deny the awesome brilliance of Brawl. Duh

Ichida

Smash Ace
Soul Caliber and Tekken people say hi. In fact, every series installment says hi in a much smaller scale. :x
I don't give a flying crap what other fans of the SoulCalibur series say, I enjoyed SoulCalibur III exponentially more than the others. </off-topic>

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I dunno. I actually am almost to the point where I'm not really excited about Melee at all, and that's just having played Brawl twice. I think people who are disappointed with Brawl really are just sour about losing WDing and Lcanceling.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman

Edit: Ankoku, cause you are not saying you don't understand how people can deny the awesome brilliance of Brawl. Duh
For tekken only 4 was like that...where some stayed with tag , but 5 corrected those mistakes...and brawl isn't a tekken 4.

And i never got why some preferred calubur 2 over 3....i literally didn't see anything that 2 had over it...and it had less chars and one of the new ones (the geisha) was one of my faves.

Lothiz

Smash Rookie
Why care

I honestly don't see why anyone cares. Some people preferred 64 over Melee. It's just a few differences that keep them playing that game.

Skler

Smash Master
I think that's where the *** in tourney*** comes from lol. (nope, not all competitive people are ***s...cause that would make me a huge one lol)
Apparently liking an old game more than a new game makes you a ***. I must be one because I loved Mario 64 and thought sunshine wasn't all that great.

Really though, is it so hard to understand why some people like melee more? It's a different game, brawl isn't melee 2.0 (sound familiar). It's the same argument everyone uses against the melee guys, and now you're wondering why everyone doesn't love brawl instead of melee? Different games for different people.

The_Trap

Smash Cadet
I like how most of the brawlie noobars who have an illogical hatred of wavedashing would just get owned by melee'ers in brawl anyways. stupid in real life = stupid mindgames

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
Apparently liking an old game more than a new game makes you a ***. I must be one because I loved Mario 64 and thought sunshine wasn't all that great.

Really though, is it so hard to understand why some people like melee more? It's a different game, brawl isn't melee 2.0 (sound familiar). It's the same argument everyone uses against the melee guys, and now you're wondering why everyone doesn't love brawl instead of melee? Different games for different people.
Fighters aren't platformers , i too prefer final fantasy6,7 and 8 over 10 and 12 but that's also not the same , fighters generally stick to a formula and keep improving it , they don't' take drastic direction changes like other genres , so generally speaking the next fighter is much better than it's predecessors.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I dunno. I actually am almost to the point where I'm not really excited about Melee at all, and that's just having played Brawl twice. I think people who are disappointed with Brawl really are just sour about losing WDing and Lcanceling.
There is more reasons than that. One of them is the controls feel weird, seeming lack of combos, etc. Note I am just throwing reasons out there. It doesn't have to be right.

For tekken only 4 was like that...where some stayed with tag , but 5 corrected those mistakes...and brawl isn't a tekken 4.
Still proves the point that people stay with the old games before. Same will be for Brawl, but probably at a lower scale (few people stay, but there is always the chance that most vets stay. You never know till the game is played for awhile).

Edit: Brawl doesn't take the old stuff and improve it like most fighter sequels. They have removed alot (and I mean ALOT) of stuff and added new things to make it easier for people to get into. Yes, alot of this stuff was added or removed so new people will have more fun. There is no denying that.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
New and fresh does not equate to "Better and more fun". I will not tell anyone what to think, it is up to everyone to decide if Brawl is for them.

But to say "I cannot understand why people would prefer Melee over Brawl" is just, please excuse my French, stupid. We just like Melee more. Just because Brawl is new doesn't mean it's automatically better than Melee.

Dreiko

Smash Journeyman
There is more reasons than that. One of them is the controls feel weird, seeming lack of combos, etc. Note I am just throwing reasons out there. It doesn't have to be right.

Still proves the point that people stay with the old games before. Same will be for Brawl, but probably at a lower scale (few people stay, but there is always the chance that most vets stay. You never know till the game is played for awhile).

Edit: Brawl doesn't take the old stuff and improve it like most fighter sequels. They have removed alot (and I mean ALOT) of stuff and added new things to make it easier for people to get into. Yes, alot of this stuff was added or removed so new people will have more fun. There is no denying that.
And i see how that prevents you from having fun in the exact way you had fun in melee...does that also prevent you from having fun in a new and better way though? Are people so afraid of adapting to the new order of things?

MIRAI87

Smash Journeyman
Melee is faster than Brawl. They like it that way. They like Wavedashing, L Cancelling, Mewtwo, Roy, and Doctor Mario (Nobody liked Pichu :p). The like Fountain of Dreams, Brinstar Depths, etc.

And my response: What's wrong with that? While I know I'll probably not play melee much when Brawl comes out, I can understand why some people do. Why do some of you have to get hostile about dumb crap?

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Some people like Melee, some people like SMash 64, some people like Brawl...That's it...They prefer that certain game over the others. Honestly people, it's not THAT difficult to understand. Some people prefer Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and some people like the other Pokemon games. They got so used to how the attacks worked, and the Pokemon in that game, that the new system in D/P just wasn't for them...It's kinda sorta the same thing.

reelbigfishstix9

Smash Apprentice
I like how most of the brawlie noobars who have an illogical hatred of wavedashing would just get owned by melee'ers in brawl anyways. stupid in real life = stupid mindgames
soooo true. lol. yesterday when i was playing with a bunch of casuals with items on high and my friend who is a SICK marth came up and 3 stocked everyone in a FFA. I lol'ed. It shut them up from whining about how they will win once brawl comes out.

Top Bottom