• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you prefer Melee over Brawl?

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is definitely one of my biggest beefs with the game. Go watch a Brawl Ganon vid-- that guy might as well not even TRY to combo out of a throw due to the lack of histun. At any % below 100%, Ganon can up/down throw and try to follow up with an aerial, but his opponent's stun wears off so fast that they can hit him first or airdodge away from the followup pretty much every time. Even at very high %s (150-200%), and with perfect set up, the best Ganon can usually hope for is to TRADE hits with his opponent after a throw. It's absurd.

This applies to pretty much all characters, I'm just using Ganon's throws as an example.
That's notthe ludicrous part. They've nerfed all throws in the game. The ludicrous part is that they can hit you even out of "normal" combos such as B-moves, aerials, tilts, jabs, etc.

Jab to grab? Never again... with anyone.

Or just seen a ****load of comprehensive videos, whether that qualifies or not.
Made by n00bs for n00bs. And the fact that people like me have actually played the game means nothing because our views are not shared by you?

Watching vids made n00bs who don't even know that there's less hitstun and shieldstun <<<<< Playing the game or listening to people who have.

zeldamaster2006

Smash Apprentice
1) Sakurai removed L-Cancelling at the last minute in development. This has created glaring discrepancies in character's frame data. Peach, having virtually no lag on all of her moves vs. Gannon having terrible lag on everything. Peach plays virtually the same as she did in Melee, except now you don't even have to TRY and l or float cancel. The game just gives it to you.
How is Peach's lack of lag unfair? She is much lighter, and has weaker moves than Ganondorf. He is very powerful and heavy, so deserves to have lag. It is what gives smaller characters a chance, otherwise there is no point of lag at all and heavy characters have instawin.

Also, GANNON-BANNED.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Made by n00bs for n00bs. And the fact that people like me have actually played the game means nothing because our views are not shared by you?
I never said you couldn't have your views. I've just been simply stating mine. :p

Anyways, I've had my fun, so I'm done with Brawl vs Melee argument thread #575746190.575.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
How is Peach's lack of lag unfair? She is much lighter, and has weaker moves than Ganondorf. He is very powerful and heavy, so deserves to have lag. It is what gives smaller characters a chance, otherwise there is no point of lag at all and heavy characters have instawin.

Also, GANNON-BANNED.
Ganondorf has been nerfed. He's weaker... yet he lags more now than in Melee.

Marth is strong, hard to KO, has a great recovery, great combos, good throws and he has almost no lag on any of his aerials.

No, Sakurai is not a good balancer of fighting games. That much is obvious. Ganondorf for Lose Tier.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
this thread is dum
This post is irony.

Have we really learned anything from the past few threads like this except what makes an idiot?The Brawl paraders willobviously never give in, and neither will the Melee paraders.

To me, Brawl looks a lot more fun than Melee, and Melee has finally gotten old and stale to me. I'm not a competitive player (yet), but I can definitely see the differences, and I don't like some of them. To be honest, Melee was a tad too fast for me, and Smash 64 a tad too slow. Brawl seems just right. The floatiness of it doesn't bother me either, because I mained Jiggs and Peach in Melee.

Good day.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
Ganondorf has been nerfed. He's weaker... yet he lags more now than in Melee.

Marth is strong, hard to KO, has a great recovery, great combos, good throws and he has almost no lag on any of his aerials.

No, Sakurai is not a good balancer of fighting games. That much is obvious. Ganondorf for Lose Tier.
QFT.... From what i've seen, i agree

worm

Smash Cadet
Melee sure has some gigantic shoes to fill, but I'm hoping that Sakurai made it happen. We'll see soon enough. I know for sure I'll still play Melee just for memories sometimes, but that won't be for awhile after Brawl comes out.

Spartan1841

Smash Journeyman
saying that is stupid both games are god but melee has been there for 7 years now so I doubt that many people will say that thats just plain stupid

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
I'm sorry, but,

Made by n00bs for n00bs.
1) That word... it kills braincells.

2) So Sakurai is suddenly a newb, eh? Who, or what, possessed him when he made Melee and Smash 64, then?

Whenever a Melee parader says "Sakurai sucks/is an idiot/etc.", I laugh to myself.

I'm in the middle, by the way, and I hate both parades.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
1) That word... it kills braincells.

2) So Sakurai is suddenly a newb, eh? Who, or what, possessed him when he made Melee and Smash 64, then?

Whenever a Melee parader says "Sakurai sucks/is an idiot/etc.", I laugh to myself.

I'm in the middle, by the way, and I hate both parades.
It is important to read the post someone quoted in order to understand the context of their reply.

The videos the guy watched were most probably made by n00bs for n00bs.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
It is important to read the post someone quoted in order to understand the context of their reply.

The videos the guy watched were most probably made by n00bs for n00bs.
Alright, my bad.

But still, this game was indeed made for newbsies, and no one can deny that.

I know what reply I'm getting from this already . . .

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
That's notthe ludicrous part. They've nerfed all throws in the game. The ludicrous part is that they can hit you even out of "normal" combos such as B-moves, aerials, tilts, jabs, etc.

Jab to grab? Never again... with anyone.
Oh trust me I know. The new hitstun is pretty crazy. The way throws have been tweaked this time around just really stands out to me. In Melee there were basically two kinds of throws. The ones with high knockback were used to set up for an edgeguard or even just as straight up KO moves. The ones with low knockback were used to set up for combos. Now in Brawl we've got throws with extremely low knockback and no hitstun to speak of. You can't KO with them, you can't combo with them... so why do they even exist?

Balloon

Smash Lord
It's because some people prefer a game that requires fast thinking and some left brained skill combined with right brained skill.

180OP

Smash Journeyman
I havent played nor do I own Brawl but here are my thoughts.

For Brawl to be a better game than Melee it has to be as deep or deeper. Lcanceling, wavedashing provided immense depth and the lack of doesnt create more doors but rather closes too many.

Whatever changes were made in Brawl should open more doors than they close.

What did taking out 'analog sheilding' do? More good than bad or more bad than good?

How about dash dance?(I know a different version of it still exists)

How about the fact that you cant move until your invincibility frames finish when grabbing a ledge?

The low stun? the high knockback?

The point is, changes are good only when they open more doors than they close. From SSB64 to Melee we had only additions and change of game physics. I dont recall any subtractions. Melee to Brawl had additions and subtractions and it looks like it closed more doors than opened. I hope I am wrong.

Currently, Melee is still a better fighter. The depth, the speed. Since Smash game environment is such a closed one...I predict that very few adv techs will be discovered and more character specific techs, especially defensive techs will be found.

However, Melee will be overtaken by Brawl because of game content. Stage builder, online, new modes, the new roster and the fact that it is new etc. Stage builder alone is just so awesome. Atm, Melee is just a better fighter.

I still will buy brawl, probably never look at Melee again. To play it would just seem old while Brawl is fresh. but Melee will be the greatest fighter ever made. I hope SSB4 will have Melee as its roots and build upon it.

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
There are only TWO reasons people would prefer Melee.

If you say you like Melee better, and say that its not because of one or both of these reasons, YOU ARE A WORTHLESS LIAR.

1. Wavedash-teh-ing. People (compets) prefer Melee because they enjoy the advantage Wavedashing gives them.
2. They suck at Brawl. I have one fried that is getting Brawl at the midnight release with me. I KNOW he will suck at Brawl, but he is one of the best Melee players. Until he gets good at Brawl, he wont want to play it against anybody.
Combos. You forgot the combos.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I never said you couldn't have your views. I've just been simply stating mine. :p

Anyways, I've had my fun, so I'm done with Brawl vs Melee argument thread #575746190.575.
OMFG

FIGHT ME ICHIDA

OR BETTER YET GO GET ***** BYALL THE BETTER PLAYERS IN TORONTO ONCE BRAWL COMES OUT

SiegKnight

Smash Journeyman
Brawls awesome and very character individual when you're not playing it 1 v 1 no items. Melee was an amazing competetive fighting game 1 v 1 no items, but Brawls absolutely useless under that ruleset. Ammount of options you have is whittled down to zero, cept the basic spacing game and predictive game. Whether thats stronger or not? Dunno, never liked Melee much to know. I know I'd rather play it 1 v 1 due to WDing, L Cancel, Crouch Cancelling, Double Stick DI'ing... The list goes on and on.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I like how most of the brawlie noobars who have an illogical hatred of wavedashing would just get owned by melee'ers in brawl anyways. stupid in real life = stupid mindgames
Its not easy to feed logic to simple minded people like you, who have to resort to insults to get your point across.

6footninja

Smash Ace
I like how most of the brawlie noobars who have an illogical hatred of wavedashing would just get owned by melee'ers in brawl anyways. stupid in real life = stupid mindgames
Its not easy to feed logic to simple minded people like you, who have to resort to insults to get your point across.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'm sorry, but this sentence alone is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.

Sliq

Smash Master
IF you didn't play Melee competitively then you don't get to comment on whether or not Brawl is better as a competitive game, because you have no basis with which to compare.

GG.

Yojimbo

Smash Journeyman
Is Mario Sunshine a better, more fun game than Mario 64?

Exactly.
Totally opinion based and a different situation, to be honest with you. If I recall correctly, Sunshine wasn't built up to be the epitome of platform gaming and to revolutionize the series entirely. I don't even remember expecting it to do that, but that's my opinion so I can't use that argue.

But yours is out of context, unfortunately.

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
IF you didn't play Melee competitively then you don't get to comment on whether or not Brawl is better as a competitive game, because you have no basis with which to compare.

GG.
If you're talking to me, then you're directing it at the wrong person, because I agree with this.

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
My reason is that Brawl sucks as a game. It's less deep, it's slow, it's got very little technique, it's got almost no approach except for a select few characters who shall become Top Tier, the balance is pretty crummy since the gap between tiers is huge compared to Melee, the game itself promotes camping and rolling and more camping and more rolling.
I hope you mean "sucks as a competitive game" because the buffed features on the obvious level eat Melee alive.

I know Brawl is slow (compared to Melee). I know Brawl doesn't have as many technical options. I've played the game myself, despite never being a tourney goer I'm not asinine enough to say "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE PLAYED". But hold your horses before you trash the game as a whole.

One thing I don't get is this turtling business. If I remember correctly, turtling is basically playing so defensively that your foe can't hope to break your defenses. But people talk about characters having no "safe" approaches. So you can't predict a foe's strategy so you can use an "unsafe" approach on them? How's that even work? I really want to understand this.

Top Bottom