• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you prefer Melee over Brawl?

6footninja

Smash Ace
I'm sorry, but this sentence alone is a perfect example of the pot calling the kettle black.
I never directly insulted anyone. Yet im getting loads of it for asking the simple question of "why would somone prefer melee over brawl". Im not calling YOU a parader, but nobody can answer my question. I was looking for a Melee ENTHUSIASTS answer, not obsessive answers. I havent gotten one yet, so what makes my comment so contradictory?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If you're looking for a clear answer, I'll give it again.

It's personal taste. Brawl isn't a more fun game for everyone, though people who've decided preferences before even playing Brawl are jumping to conclusions a bit.

6footninja

Smash Ace

It's personal taste. Brawl isn't a more fun game for everyone, though people who've decided preferences before even playing Brawl are jumping to conclusions a bit.
Yeah im kind of coming to that conclusion as well. Thank you for being decent about it.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
Some people prefer street fighter II over later incarnations, even though its now well over 10 years old. They're different games, people like different things.

Skler

Smash Master
IF you didn't play Melee competitively then you don't get to comment on whether or not Brawl is better as a competitive game, because you have no basis with which to compare.

GG.
This should be a sticky, or better yet, a popup that appears before you post on the Brawl boards.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I'm surprised people are already judging the game's competitive level. I know there are many more people playing Smash than in 2002, and I know many are awaiting for Brawl to develop as an awesome competitive game.

But really, Brawl isn't even out in the US yet. Not many people have even played the game, so right now Brawl is at a stand still, since many people have yet to analyze and create a sort of "metagame" for it yet.

Seriously, give it time to develop. Nothing's going anywhere, and we have much time on our hands to develop this awesome game.

At least until 12/21/12 :p

6footninja

Smash Ace
I'm surprised people are already judging the game's competitive level. I know there are many more people playing Smash than in 2002, and I know many are awaiting for Brawl to develop as an awesome competitive game.

But really, Brawl isn't even out in the US yet. Not many people have even played the game, so right now Brawl is at a stand still, since many people have yet to analyze and create a sort of "metagame" for it yet.

Seriously, give it time to develop. Nothing's going anywhere, and we have much time on our hands to develop this awesome game.

At least until 12/21/12 :p
Thanks you very much. Good answer

Sliq

Smash Master
One major problem:

You didn't.

Also, I never discussed competitiveness (which is not a word, I know).

You got yourself the wrong Kirby.
CONGRATULATIONS, YOU ARE AN IDIOT!

I'll spell it out for your ******** ***.

I wasn't talking to you, hence why I did not quote you, nor did I mention you in ANY part of my post. Hence my blatantly sarcastic comment. I assumed you would read my post, realize I hadn't done either of these things, and go, "Oh, Ok, he doesn't mean me seeing as how he did neither of those things which should lead me to believe he was referring to me."

I'm going to get banned again in no ****ing time. Jesus Christ.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
I hope you mean "sucks as a competitive game" because the buffed features on the obvious level eat Melee alive.

I know Brawl is slow (compared to Melee). I know Brawl doesn't have as many technical options. I've played the game myself, despite never being a tourney goer I'm not asinine enough to say "THIS IS HOW IT SHOULD BE PLAYED". But hold your horses before you trash the game as a whole.

One thing I don't get is this turtling business. If I remember correctly, turtling is basically playing so defensively that your foe can't hope to break your defenses. But people talk about characters having no "safe" approaches. So you can't predict a foe's strategy so you can use an "unsafe" approach on them? How's that even work? I really want to understand this.
In a competitive atmosphere you have to assume that the players are playing at the top of their game and utilizing everything to its fullest ability. While this may be a bit of an exaggeration, when you realize that top players probably aren't going to allow you to use your unsafe moves or get combo'd it makes sense to assume that competitive play will be limited. Especially when the game also makes it stupid easy to avoid such things.

Fastest

Smash Ace
In a competitive atmosphere you have to assume that the players are playing at the top of their game and utilizing everything to its fullest ability. While this may be a bit of an exaggeration, when you realize that top players probably aren't going to allow you to use your unsafe moves or get combo'd it makes sense to assume that competitive play will be limited. Especially when the game also makes it stupid easy to avoid such things.
To add to this:

When you reach the top of one mountain, it becomes easier to see the tips of other mountains as your head is already above the clouds.

Thus, if your brain is trained to think in a competitive gaming sense, you're able to see the depth, or rather in this example: mountain height, more accurately than if you had no competitive training at all.

It's not too preemptive to critically judge the game's depth. What we're dealing with right now is "Human Tiers". Ichida being decidedly low tier, is wholly ignoring what very prolific smashers are saying. And, in the face of cold hard facts, is simply arguing with laughter. We're not laughing with you son, we're laughing at you. When all of this is said and done, after Ken, Isai, Hugs, Wife, Husband, Azen, etc leave, perhaps you'll be the greatest Brawl player! But really, is it worth it to be king of such a small mountain?

The verdict is still obviously out, as there's still so much to learn. But given our current knowledge set, and our reasonable ability to gage what may be discovered, it isn't too far off to say that we're searching for things that just won't be there.

raymanbud714

Smash Journeyman
ahhh even though brawl has more characters... ill have to go with melee... theres just something about it... mainly because of the music and the sound effects is what i love. it really does make me mad that they made a new theme song for brawl... i loved the old...

Senshuu

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably soon regard Melee as "ghetto" in comparison to Brawl, as I had with the original SSB when Melee came out. Don't get me wrong, I'll still love each game for what they are. But you can see reasons for visiting the former games less frequently afterwards, right?

Maybe not so much if there wasn't an immense amount of new content in this game, but there is, and it's amazing. I never get tired of my old toys, though.

Fastest

Smash Ace
cmon guys lets be mature about this. There is no "better" game, everyone has an opinion. Let all play what they want to when they want to.
You miss the point panzer.

You can't argue which game is better based on opinion.

However, you can argue which game is better based on it's competitive depth. One game definitely has more depth than the other.

Wether or not you factor a game's competitive depth into your personal opinion is what you're talking about. However, logic would assume that if you're at Smashboards, you have an interest in such things...

Radical Dreamer

Smash Ace
Brawl is a simpler, streamlined game that doesn't have the depth and complexity of melee that many players fell in love with. That's about as good an answer to the original question as I can come up with.

Arcari

Smash Rookie
Competitive Smashers- Stick to Melee.

Everyone else- Welcome to Brawl.

That's the vibe I've gotten after reading through this topic.

Thino

Smash Master
You miss the point panzer.

You can't argue which game is better based on opinion.

However, you can argue which game is better based on it's competitive depth. One game definitely has more depth than the other.

Wether or not you factor a game's competitive depth into your personal opinion is what you're talking about. However, logic would assume that if you're at Smashboards, you have an interest in such things...
depth doesnt necessarily makes the game better

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I like melee better.
lol, well we can't stop you, but this thread asks why do you like Melee instead of Brawl? Some of the people that posted here didn't understand that question, but it's not a lot of threads like this but we've seen them before.

In my options, people don't like Brawl becasues the game speed, or some of they characters go taken off. I don't know, I'm guessing. =/

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
I think Brawl is much better the replay value of melee was amazing and now how could brawl be any less? there's SSE(with co-op) Events(with co-op) all star mode, classic mode, the boss fight mode, target test, stage creator an insane amount of music and trophies, ONLINE MODE!!! u can take snap shots on the fly , record video, it has 35 char and dont forget stickers! haha there might be diffrences in speed or floatyness but there were diffrences from ssb64 to melee. THe fact is that in the transistion from melee to brawl there will be a few that decided to stay behind with melee. I see brawl as a masssive upgrade on melee it does everything it did and more! some how even though melee was greatit never seemed complete with brawl it seems like a complete game.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
^Thats why Brawl is a completely different game that shouldn't be compared with Melee

Too many things have been altered for Brawl that makes Melee seem the last in a series.

In Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive or Tekken, for each game were there any REALLY big changes between each one? Not at all much. Thats why they're considered "true sequels" by some.

The difference between Brawl and Melee seem WAY too much. Even Sakurai said that if there was a sequel, it would just be an upgrade, nothing more (I know, WAY too unreliable).

Sand-Trap

Smash Journeyman
After reading throughout the thread...I'm confused. Before I speak, let me just say that I'm a competitive Melee player. I've played against MLG pros (ex: played KDJ once and got him down to 1 stock), played in tournaments (even won a few), etc. I'm obviously not trying to brag because what I said isn't very impressive, I'm just stating that I'm definitely competitive in Melee.

I've played Brawl, and I've watched videos online of Brawl. While there are slow videos of Brawl, I argue that it's the players who are slow in combination with the weights of the characters being lighter, not just the characters themselves. When Melee first came out, was everyone already doing SHLs with Falco as their safe approach? Waveshining from one side of the screen to the next? Doing Ken combos? Obv not. So how can anyone expect anything different from Brawl? You can't tell me that when people first started playing Melee that they were moving lightning fast as pros do now, years after the game came out.

No combos in Brawl?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqAzaaIADTc

Even some Ken combos in there. The hottest combo imo: 4:27 - 4:33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIyFsxfTpac&feature=related

Combos, mindgames, and tactics. So many vids lack gliding.

And shrug, it's just me I guess, but these videos do not look that slow.

Give the game some **** time, it hasn't even come out yet. But what I'm seriously wondering is...what will become the dominant tournament game? I want to focus on one or the other, and personally I'm hoping that Brawl is more dominant. I also hope that some of these vids opened the eyes of some hardcore Melee people who think that Brawl has no chance at all.

KidArtist

Smash Cadet
Was Melee the same as Super Smash Bros.? Sure, at it's core; but Melee brought in many new additions to Smash Bros. (Adventure Mode, All-Star Mode, ect.) And likewise with Brawl and Melee. (SSE, Wi-fi, ect.)

Drclaw411

Smash Lord
There are only TWO reasons people would prefer Melee.

If you say you like Melee better, and say that its not because of one or both of these reasons, YOU ARE A WORTHLESS LIAR.

1. Wavedash-teh-ing. People (compets) prefer Melee because they enjoy the advantage Wavedashing gives them.
2. They suck at Brawl. I have one fried that is getting Brawl at the midnight release with me. I KNOW he will suck at Brawl, but he is one of the best Melee players. Until he gets good at Brawl, he wont want to play it against anybody.
When I wrote this, I didnt think it would cause so much. I do still think its true. I will acknowledge that some may like Melee better if they were a Mewtwo or Pichu main or something, but they will most likley end up liking Brawl better in the long run.

And just so you know. I KNOW how to wavedash. I have played COMPETITIVELY numorous times. Personally, I actually think casual is (much) more fun.

Either way, I like Brawl better and I stand by my argument.

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
When I wrote this, I didnt think it would cause so much. I do still think its true. I will acknowledge that some may like Melee better if they were a Mewtwo or Pichu main or something, but they will most likley end up liking Brawl better in the long run.

And just so you know. I KNOW how to wavedash. I have played COMPETITIVELY numorous times. Personally, I actually think casual is (much) more fun.

Either way, I like Brawl better and I stand by my argument.
I would like to give u a round of applause. Im glad someone said it. What you're saying is exactly true. :chuckle:

WoodyWiggins

Smash Journeyman
I can understand Melee being perfered over Brawl. Simply because Brawl has no meta-game. But just you wait 'till it hits America. Then it'll REALLY become balanced.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why the hell can't people read or pay attention the first two times I say something ****ing hell you'll just end up misinterpreting it anyway.

Top Bottom