• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can We Save Brawl?

Will Brawl die out?

• Total voters

JohnnyDelMidwest

Smash Apprentice
Ironically in the South (Clarksville, Arkansas)
I wouldn't say that, the reason Melee is played competitively is because it just has the most room for fundamental skill, not because of nostalgia. I could see the kids who grew up with Brawl playing Sm4sh or PM as a game for competitive play assuming they are interested in the scene, because by the time their grown up and old enough to play the game at a much higher level, Brawl might already be just a side tournament.
I think that part of the reason why you think that Melee is better for fundamental skill is because you're used to it. I personally find the fact that exploits are the foundation of advanced play to be very telling- This game is not designed for competitive play. So why do you think people won't discover similar exploits in Brawl?

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I think that part of the reason why you think that Melee is better for fundamental skill is because you're used to it. I personally find the fact that exploits are the foundation of advanced play to be very telling- This game is not designed for competitive play. So why do you think people won't discover similar exploits in Brawl?

Brawl has been around for about 6 years now so their probably isn't anything to discover anymore, and believe when I say I have a good take on both. I played Brawl for at least 4 years before I went back to Melee, and for no other reason then the fact that I just missed combos.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
By saving it i assume you mean in the competitive sense at physical brick and mortar tournaments. Prolly not gonna happen. Most fgcs move on to the sequels unless the iteration is SO good which the community clearly does not feel about vBrawl.

Online tournament for me all the way. In fact we're having one this weekend hosted by CoH

http://challonge.com/whereGodsareborn

Come and join it'll be a smash harharhar

Dragoomba

Smash Lord
"Brawl 2.0" yeah okay. Because all the new mechanics, speed, and everything makes it a brawl 2.0. It doesn't even feel like brawl.
The "new mechanics, speed, and everything" improves the game greatly, hence the "2.0". You're delusional if you think this game doesn't feel somewhat similar to Brawl.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
Here's how we save brawl: Keep playing.

If we keep having smashfests and tourneys that include brawl, it won't die out. We certainly aren't helping by being pessimistic.

D

Deleted member

Brawl will go down in history as that game that is still being played in Norway, Socal and Toronto (And North Carolina?)

Like the game? Play it. Attend/host get-togethers.
Ezpz (it's not ezpz all the time :()

Also, Brawl is so mechanically different from Smash 4 that it baffles me that somebody has to ask what kind of "advantages" Brawl has over Smash 4 to justify still playing it. There are so many fundamental differences in game mechanics that it pains me to see people call it "Brawl 2.0"
Thank you thank you thank you for all this.

Really, just keep playing and it wont die simple as that. If you dont have a means of saving brawl and saying that it will die/calling smash 4 brawl 2.0, just dont bother being here really. Theres no point even being here if you dont want to help lol. If your calling it Brawl 2.0, then you didn't get nearly as deep into brawl as the rest of us did. Both are different and good games in their own right, as are all the smash games.

DownWitDaWaveDash

Smash Apprentice
Went to a wednesday tournament that is always well attended for brawl and PM. Well used to be well attended.
I was the only one signed up for brawl lol.

One other guy came and tried to warm up, and in about a minute he said "**** brawl" and wrapped up his controller.

The organizer tried to shrug it off and say "It must be the weather. But everyone else in the venue corrected him at once saying "No its just Brawl"

Theres not much we can do.

Certain scenes are dead, and buried. Brawl can only be saved in other areas.

And we need to realize when it is "saved" it will still have less players.. lots less. There also is a high chance that people will get upset when certain things happen in brawl after they play Smash 4.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
just to make things clear: the reason melee stayed alive and thriving was because of melee players. not smash players, melee players, as in they would intend to play melee first and foremost.

brawl didn't have brawl players in the way melee had melee players, brawl had smash players, meaning they had players who played the newest smash game because it was the newest smash game, and that's what everyone else was looking at. the crash down was inevitable, in the same way smash 4's crash might be inevitable if they follow in the same footsteps, because once a newer, shinier game comes out, the smash players stop playing your game.

instead of trying to base yourself off a core similar to melee, instead of morphing into your own metagame with your own style, you kept trying to appeal to players who were hopping off the train the second something else came out to sate their desires. maybe you can come back from this, but it's taken far too long for people to realize the damage for it to be reversible. no matter what happens, you're permanently known as that game to the rest of smash.

Thor

Smash Champion
just to make things clear: the reason melee stayed alive and thriving was because of melee players. not smash players, melee players, as in they would intend to play melee first and foremost.

brawl didn't have brawl players in the way melee had melee players, brawl had smash players, meaning they had players who played the newest smash game because it was the newest smash game, and that's what everyone else was looking at. the crash down was inevitable, in the same way smash 4's crash might be inevitable if they follow in the same footsteps, because once a newer, shinier game comes out, the smash players stop playing your game.

instead of trying to base yourself off a core similar to melee, instead of morphing into your own metagame with your own style, you kept trying to appeal to players who were hopping off the train the second something else came out to sate their desires. maybe you can come back from this, but it's taken far too long for people to realize the damage for it to be reversible. no matter what happens, you're permanently known as that game to the rest of smash.
I disagree with this sentiment in that I'm both a Smash player and a Brawl player. If someone asks me what games I play [saying I like video games], it's always "Smash" [and some other stuff if they ask for more single-player-oriented stuff]. If they ask what game, "Brawl." Then I fill in the other games [Smash 4, Melee/Brawl-, 64, PM... scene is too big for me to not play it considering most people can't handle Link very well around here], but it's always Brawl first.

Being "new and shiny" has nothing to do with it. So yes, we have Brawl players (or one if I'm truly the only one out there, which does not seem to be the case). Just not as many as Melee had I guess. I don't understand the last paragraph of your post, but that probably doesn't matter much to this thread anyway.

As for tournaments online, I would, but I don't have my Wii with me because my parents are worried I'll get too caught up in a console game like that at college and grades will suffer. So I can't :urg:

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
There's nothing wrong with Brawl, sure, they're very difficult matches but time and time again it's been proven wrong but players that TRULY experiment deeply with their character. I enjoy a challenge and when I prove them wrong and they raise the brow through the way they type, that's like winning a national tourney to me and anyone else that feels the same way I am feeling.

I also feel Brawl was shunned down not because of tough match-ups (I wounder if SF would ban a certain character that's so bad to fight against).

It's mostly due to the fact that there is tripping and a very poor Wi-Fi connection.

And as well communities will always mock this game for actually banning certain characters in this game.

Also, people just honestly need to stfu like seriously they whine and whine and whine. I hope they know MK isn't invincible or other characters are. Sure it's an up hill battle but it can be beaten no matter what.

I'm just going to fire the gun and idc what happens after this.

They're just not smart enough or wise enough to actually follow their own style of play. IK and IK all players have those styles where they derp it off and just follow all other styles because they feel it wont truly be enough towards they're understanding of character.

Nario, Salem, Ally, Ryo, and so on (have of course followed their own play to this game). And that's how a game needs to be played (playing it the way you feel most comfortable with), I don't give a Fudge Brownie if others want to prove this theory wrong (it's not and there is evidence).

Of course some have experimented and still feel it's no use (no you're just not experimenting enough). Learn ways around edge guarding better, stronger strings and so on. Geez, this game isn't Rocket Science so It's not extremely intolerable to continue to play the game.

The game is just getting started, there is STILL more work to be done towards this game; I still see so much untapped potential with each character and IK almost like 97% of characters still haven't reached the top (and even the characters that have reached the top can STILL be tweaked to be even more deadly like ZSS, Ike, Toon and so on) and truly be top with their character.

The other characters like Low Tiers or whatever you want to type can STILL be something great like a work of art. It's up to towards how much you want it.

Long live Brawl~ Thank you.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I hate to plug my own thread, but I'm a strong believer (along with Supermodel From Paris) that Meta-Knight dominance contributes to the staleness of Brawl. I think a modified ban for Meta-Knight (proposed HERE) would create far more diversity in high level play, create more interesting matches and force top players to explore the metagame of characters besides MK. I personally would not like to see Brawl die out and will do my part, however input on my suggestion would be appreciated.

http://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-take-on-banning-meta-knight.374423/

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Very fascinating and I respect what you're doing, however; MK isn't a big deal really I don't really care about him or if I Brawl him or not, also, you shouldn't be so fixated towards MK (it's Ice climbers) and I bet if Smash4 never was created, Ice climbers would then enter in Team tournaments very soon. And I beat a good Ice climber that knew what he was doing vs my Link anywayyy.

Yes, that's the problem man, no one will truly experiment other than MK (which is in 100% full shape) which is why he's used so much (everyone experimented and finished the work now anyone can be on any MK player's level).

I bet if others did the same with others (and I mean DEEPLY like learning how to apply mind game set ups, strong strings, hard reads and so on). Though I've this, I haven't seen this to its full potential (I always see new stuff to be used and such).

And I've actually experimented with Ivysaur (and I've done some crazy stuff that is yes higher than Reflex's Ivysaur standard) and I have learned a few things that I bet even Reflex doesn't know about (because he focuses all on Squrtile and maybe some on Charz and none for Ivysaur). Not calling shots, I'm just implying that even Ivysaur can be used effectively and so ANYONE else can.

PT is the next break out I see when I use them, heck, I see soooooo much things that would go face to face with MK and so on.

Brawl isn't done (like I typed in the previous comment) and I watched the Smash4 50 extra stuff (still not getting it) so, you will see future stuff from me (when college mid terms and such have been vacated hopefully).

And we should Brawl sometime man (you a Ivysaur or PT main)? Well, keep Brawl alive. Thanks.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Exploits are the foundation of competitive play in all competitive games. In Brawl, we used glide tossing and pushed any technique we could find to their limits too. Do you think Marvel vs Capcom 2 players don't use exploits? Lol.

People didn't discover similar exploits that improved the game in Brawl. We played this game for six years, dude.

Melee is designed for competitive play moreso than Brawl, despite my love of Brawl. Look at the way hitstun and shieldstun work, the lack of tripping, etc. You're barking up the wrong tree with this; from any objective perspective, Melee is the better designed competitive game. That said, Melee players dismiss Brawl far too quickly.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Play a decent amount of melee, and one thing Ive realized about competitive melee is that the competitive value is greatly overrated. Complex mechanics that require memorizing lots of knowledge, information, and tech skill does not directly translate to meaningful decision making a.k.a. depth. Complexity on its own is not very interesting, its like memorizing the digits of pi. Yeah some people gain pleasure from that shiz but theres nothing inherently of value to it externally except maybe to show youre good at memorizing things. This isnt to say it cant be an enjoyable task if you somehow gain pleasure from knowing pi, same applies to melee. Melee does well because of its community's crazy support, some good some bad.

The way hitstun and shieldstun work allows only 4 characters to have real shield pressure, with two of them being heads and heels above the rest and the other one incapable of being played at human level. If youre not one of those 3 characters or Marth then good game. Every other character has normal shield pressure that's reliant on good zoning/spacing just like Brawl but is not equipped to handle true shield pressure.

Even looking beyond the balance perspective, the design perspective is pretty dumb. Smash in many areas functions on a basic RPS that involves Attack-Shield-Grab. Top level melee removes shield from the equation. This might create flashy combos, but making judgments on depth its neutered.
The "new mechanics, speed, and everything" improves the game greatly, hence the "2.0". You're delusional if you think this game doesn't feel somewhat similar to Brawl.
What does this matter? People touch the game and feel mechanical similarities only by comparison to melee, but in every other regard the game functions at a different level. All you have to do is look at the poor transition former Brawl pros have been having unless theyve been putting time into the game. Melee is the black sheep of the smash series in terms of mechanical feel, if youre trying to pull out silly catchphrases at least be correct about it and call it smash 64 3.0

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Exploits are the foundation of competitive play in all competitive games. In Brawl, we used glide tossing and pushed any technique we could find to their limits too. Do you think Marvel vs Capcom 2 players don't use exploits? Lol.

People didn't discover similar exploits that improved the game in Brawl. We played this game for six years, dude.

Melee is designed for competitive play moreso than Brawl, despite my love of Brawl. Look at the way hitstun and shieldstun work, the lack of tripping, etc. You're barking up the wrong tree with this; from any objective perspective, Melee is the better designed competitive game. That said, Melee players dismiss Brawl far too quickly.
I called you out in another thread and I'll do it again - you don't know *** from elbow if you think there's anything "objective" about comparing Melee and Brawl and claiming Melee is better.

I brought them up there so I'll quote it here too:

Thor said:
There’s a fair case to objectively describe Melee as the best game in the series
Does not understand what the word objectively means. Best is ALWAYS a matter of opinion (as I will detail and give a few examples of below).

From every aspect of competitive game design, Melee is a better game
Airdodging that induces helplessness is not necessarily or objectively better game design. Neither is crouch-cancelling, and as for L-cancelling... don't get me started on L-cancelling [I've written very long posts about that elsewhere]. That's a small selection of reasons this is objectively false (Definitional incorrectness will make things objectively false). As one more kicker, he's assuming in this statement that games skewed to offensive play makes for a better competitive game - that's not objectively true, even if it is true for many people [that would be called subjectively true], and it makes his argument fall apart [and any reasons cited to why it would be true are matters of opinion, therefore they are subjective, not objective, which means I'm still objectively [from a definition standpoint] correct, like it or not].
In fact I actually had a very long post where I took massive issue with an article you posted, and tagged you, but you never responded. Here's the page with my post: http://smashboards.com/threads/will...etitive-attention.369170/page-2#post-17643804

It's page 2 if it's not the right page. And you never responded despite me tagging you. I don't fully understand why, but I'll ask again (as I did at the bottom of my post there) to tell me why you think I'm wrong, since you wrote that article in the first place.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
First, the Smash 4 article is completely irrelevant. Yes, you disagree with me on some things in my comparison between Smash 4 and Brawl, but we are discussing Melee and Brawl here.

I didn't respond because I was at work at the time and had spent too much time writing stuff, and forgot about it later. And, honestly, because it's not a huge priority. I'd already addressed a dozen other people in several other threads and was engaged in several discussions in MIOM and Reddit at the time.

So, let's talk in this thread. Melee and Brawl, not Smash 4 speculation.

First, I want to clarify something: I do NOT think Brawl is a terrible competitive game. I played Brawl competitively for five years, and I wrote this about the depth in Brawl strings six months ago. I am not a Brawl hater.

I called you out in another thread and I'll do it again - you don't know *** from elbow if you think there's anything "objective" about comparing Melee and Brawl and claiming Melee is better.

The first question is: Can you compare two games and how they are as a competitive game objectively?

Imagine there are two movies.

Can a movie have better narrative structure and more complex characters and better acting? I'd say it can. There are definitely grey areas here, but you can also have one movie that has clearly better structure, or acting, or character development.

When we discuss fighting game design, what makes a fighting game is ability to foster player interaction and support a system whereby you can read your opponent through understanding what they want to accomplish. Fostering a system that makes it a very mental game matters. Ceiling matters too- both physical and mental skill ceilings.

However, watchability matters as well to a lesser extent. If a game is not watchable because of slow pace, if the game rewards the defender too much and encourages camping, or has a lot of infinites, these are errors that can be attributed to game design.

So if a movie has better narrative structure, better acting, better cinematography, and better character development, can we state that it is an objectively better movie?

You CAN objectively quantify these things. In the same way that no film critic on the planet would say that The Phantom Menace is a better movie than The Empire Strikes Back, narrative structure, writing, character development, acting, etc are real elements of a movie that can be *done better*. There are definitely grey areas that fall down to opinion, but there are also cases where one movie is very clearly, objectively, better than the other in terms of narrative structure. It doesn't mean that there aren't people who prefer The Phantom Menace- hey, it's got better action sequences. But The Empire Strikes Back is a much better written, developed, and produced film.

Similarly, I think Donkey Kong Country 2 has the best game design of the Donkey Kong Country series, but some people might prefer Donkey Kong Country 1, because of the art style and differing level design with less focus on animals. Donkey Kong Country 3 is unanimously considered the worst game.

And similarly, from any unbiased, informed viewpoint by a critic, The Dark Knight is a better movie than Catwoman.

You can say The Dark Knight is objectively better than Catwoman from a film perspective. Similarly, Melee is better than Brawl from an objective game design perspective.

I'd argue yes.

You can say one game is objectively better than another. No, there's no point system, and there's grey areas. But there are also clear cut cases where a title is better or worse than its predecessor or sequel.

I'd also say there's nothing wrong if the general art direction or feel of the other movie strikes a better cord with you. Starcraft: Brood War is generally considered a better competitive game than Starcraft 2, but the competitive scene still plays Starcraft 2 because it's good enough and newer.

So the second question is, is it just an opinion that Brawl is weaker in each of these aspects? In what way can I actually say that it is objectively better?

Brawl and Melee are similar enough games that you CAN compare them, and in the vast majority of categories you can compare them in, Melee is designed better as a competitive game.

When we discuss fighting game design, what makes a fighting game is ability to foster player interaction and support a system whereby you can read your opponent through understanding what they want to accomplish. Fostering a system that makes it a very mental game matters. Ceiling matters too- both physical and mental skill ceilings.

However, watchability matters as well to a lesser extent. If a game is not watchable because of slow pace, if the game rewards the defender too much and encourages camping, or has a lot of infinites, these are errors that can be attributed to game design.

From a game design perspective, Brawl has a lot more failings than Melee. Lower skill ceiling, more random factors (like tripping), more infinites, slower pace, less ability to convert from hits (reducing the depth of the threats you can level against your opponent, which is important in mental games- imagine Poker if you weren't allowed to put the pressure of the threat of going All In), etc.

Brawl is NOT worthless in any of these category. It's a valid fighting game. But Melee does each of them better.

Nearly every change from Melee to Brawl has negative design reprecussions, in terms of game speed, player interaction, and combos. (More on combos below.)

Shield stun. Reduced shield stun made it easier to punish hits on shields. This made approaching riskier.

Shield drop time. Same as above, improved defensive play.

Better rolls. Improved defensive play.

Ability to interrupt hitstun. This eliminated combos. The elimination of combos has has many negative effects:
* If you cannot combo, hitting someone defensively and aggressively is equally valuable. Hitting someone with a nair out of shield is just as good as rushing them down with a nair (unlike in Melee, where defensive attacks weren't as good because they are less likely to be set up for a combo).
* If you cannot combo, projectiles become more valuable, because individual hits are the end-all-be-all of punishment. In Melee, if you camp, each projectile does one hit, but if your opponent catches you, they can do five or six hits. In Brawl, each projectile does one hit, and if your opponent catches you they are going to hit you once, so why approach with a projectile? This improved defensive play.
* If you cannot combo, comebacks become much less likely, and there is less payoff from big risks. Imagine Poker, if betting was capped so players could not go All In. Losing games would get dragged out, because the losing player cannot take a big risk to get back in the game or lose it all.
* If you can break out of hitstun, you can do an attack and jump immediately to survive longer. This leads to VERY long survivability in Brawl.

All of these improve defensive game.

Related to that:

Strength of punishes matters a lot as far as depth in decisionmaking. Melee allows for much harder punishments if you DI wrong or make the wrong choice, which puts a lot more risk in many decisions. A great and simple example in a competitive game is Poker (Texas Hold 'Em). Imagine if Poker didn't have the ability to go all in and limited raises to three times the previous raise. It would not only make the game go slower, and prevent legitimate comebacks, but reduce the depth in decisionmaking, because you often wouldn't be able to pose a great enough threat to push your opponent off of hands.

Brawl is like this raise-capped version of Poker. The weak punishments harms the game in a number of ways. It doesn't make the game noncompetitive, but it hurts the game as a whole by reducing the mental threat a player can exert.

Tripping. Obvious issues.

Multiple airdodges improves defensive game.

Slow fall speed improves defensive game by preventing followups. The slowfalling characters in Melee are the hardest to combo (Samus, Luigi, Jigglypuff), and in Brawl everyone falls at those speeds.

Ledge snaps mean that players cannot overshoot the ledge, improving defensive play by removing the need for precision for recovery. This reduces player interaction, since there is no longer a guessing game of "is he going for the sweetspot or not?" as the player can sweetspot at any time rather than having to fake out his spacing to obscure whether he is aiming for the sweetspot.

Improved recoveries initially seem like "different instead of worse", but what happened is that a small number of characters- Metaknight, Pit, G&W, and a few others- have such good offstage play that the ledge is their most advantaged position. This lead to planking, and then scrooging to get around the artificial ledge grab rules. This is literally the equivalent of a Street Fighter game in which the walls are a safer position than the center, so the community makes a "no back to the wall for too long" rule to fix camping. It's just bad game design.

Game balance. Metaknight is far better than any character in Melee relative to his cast, and Ice Climbers are absurdly good because the lack of combos makes their chaingrab way stronger (their opponent can't zero death them back). Dedede has chaingrabs on half the cast that makes them unviable. Ness. Lucas. Lots more of the cast are just unplayable in Brawl due to the environment with very very skewed matchups/

Running. In Melee, you could cancel a run by crouch cancelling, dash dancing, or wavedashing. In Brawl, you can't cancel a run except by jumping. This means running is a commitment in Brawl (the runner is going to dash attack or shieldgrab). So, Brawl players rarely run. This lowered game speed, as players had to walk to move safely.

Removal of L-cancelling with no corresponding reduction in aerial lag. This resulted in all characters having longer landing lag. This not only reduced game speed because of longer landing lag, it also lowered game speed by forcing people to aim for autocancel windows (usually meant people could not fastfall their aerials), and it improved defensive play by making many moves unsafe on shield that were previously safe AND it reduced followups to attacks.

Infinite combos and chain grabs. Brawl has much, much more of these. Dedede has infinites on five characters out of a grab that makes them unviable, Fox gets infinited by a half dozen characters, Wario gets infinited by 3-4 characters, etc etc. There's at least a dozen or more wall infinites in the game as well, and tons of chaingrabs that DON'T require DI chasing.

In every measurement of a good competitive game- in depth of player interaction, in game speed, in ability to make comebacks *without* a rubber banding mechanic, in viewability- Melee is better designed than Brawl. Every game change in Brawl served to make the game more defensive and campy, make interactions slower, and make the game less of a spectator sport, as well as less balanced.

This isn't a matter of opinion- this is game design and knowledge of the game. Brawl's game design encourages defensive play, encourages not fastfalling and early aerials to land autocancels (slowing the game down), makes projectiles and defensive hits too powerful due to poor rewards on offensive hits, and makes the ledge way, way, way too good.

It's perfectly fine to prefer Brawl to Melee! Don't get me wrong. But it's unquestionably the best designed game in the series (unless you count Project M, then you can argue).

Melee is not some perfect paragon that can never be defeated, but almost all of the design changes had negative effects that can be documented and quantified. The number of new mechanics with positive influences on the metagame (like glide tossing) are very, very, very low.

So, despite thinking Brawl is way underrated by Melee players, I very strongly attest that from a game design perspective Melee should be looked at as the best designed game in the series. That does NOT mean that you have to play Melee. That does NOT mean that you shouldn't play Brawl or pick up Smash 4. Saying Starcraft: Brood War is generally considered better than Starcraft 2 doesn't mean you need to abandon SC2. But in the context of these discussions, Melee is better than Brawl, objectively, and can be looked at in that light for game design comparisons.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Two additional points unrelated to above

I have a project going on for Brawl players that involves some data entry, and I have a set of volunteers helping me out with the data entry portion. It will benefit Brawl players. If anyone here wants to help, please PM me.

Second...

I hate to plug my own thread, but I'm a strong believer (along with Supermodel From Paris) that Meta-Knight dominance contributes to the staleness of Brawl. I think a modified ban for Meta-Knight (proposed HERE) would create far more diversity in high level play, create more interesting matches and force top players to explore the metagame of characters besides MK. I personally would not like to see Brawl die out and will do my part, however input on my suggestion would be appreciated.

http://smashboards.com/threads/a-new-take-on-banning-meta-knight.374423/
I was one of the leaders of the ban MK charge back in the day and strongly believe this. MK was one of the biggest contributors to Brawl's demise, IMO.

Thor

Smash Champion
I clearly need to provide a definition of objectively:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/objective

based on facts rather than feelings or opinions : not influenced by feelings

This means while you can make claims about the game, any statements that state "better" are necessarily subjective - I can give an example of the 2 most common ones I see here:

"But Melee is faster than Brawl"

- Necessarily has the logical point that is hidden but definitively present "And I think faster makes for a better competitive game" [which is an opinion - the statement could have the word "slower" in it and would still be just as unprovable. As an example, since a game that is "slower" can allow for more precise inputs, it allows for more mental mastery and slightly less result of reflexes, and then it's a question of if you prefer reflexes and finger speed and some mental mastery or a bit less of each of the former but ever more of the latter - that's a trade-off that is entirely opinion.

"But Brawl is too defensive"

- Necessarily has the assertion "And I think defensive options being strong is bad", which is an opinion, not a fact, and therefore subjective, as opinions are all feelings. There are merits to play being more defensive, such as making every successful offensive read matter all that much more (to better preserve the lead), but I won't bother going into them.

That said, parts of this post just became redundant, but I spent 2 hours typing it, so whatever.

The first question is: Can you compare two games and how they are as a competitive game objectively?

Imagine there are two movies.

Can a movie have better narrative structure and more complex characters and better acting? I'd say it can. There are definitely grey areas here, but you can also have one movie that has clearly better structure, or acting, or character development.

So if a movie has better narrative structure, better acting, better cinematography, and better character development, can we state that it is an objectively better movie?

You CAN objectively quantify these things. In the same way that no film critic on the planet would say that The Phantom Menace is a better movie than The Empire Strikes Back, narrative structure, writing, character development, acting, etc are real elements of a movie that can be *done better*. There are definitely grey areas that fall down to opinion, but there are also cases where one movie is very clearly, objectively, better than the other in terms of narrative structure. It doesn't mean that there aren't people who prefer The Phantom Menace- hey, it's got better action sequences. But The Empire Strikes Back is a much better written, developed, and produced film.

Similarly, I think Donkey Kong Country 2 has the best game design of the Donkey Kong Country series, but some people might prefer Donkey Kong Country 1, because of the art style and differing level design with less focus on animals. Donkey Kong Country 3 is unanimously considered the worst game.

And similarly, from any unbiased, informed viewpoint by a critic, The Dark Knight is a better movie than Catwoman.
LMBO

Acting is inherently subjective - if you aren't looking for what is normally termed "high-quality" acting, you won't like those things. If all you care about are throw-away jokes, then Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure will be a better movie than any Star Wars movie could ever hope to match [and my dad thinks the best movie ever made is "Masters of the Universe" alongside "Blazing Saddles" and "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure"]. There's NOTHING objective about art because it's ALL dependent on taste (and while you can label my dad's taste "Bad", we can enthymeme out your logic and I could point out all the normative statements that prove you have an opinion, not anything objective).

You picked an art, and art is the most subjective thing out there. Smash is the same way.

You can say The Dark Knight is objectively better than Catwoman from a film perspective. Similarly, Melee is better than Brawl from an objective game design perspective.

I'd argue yes.

You can say one game is objectively better than another. No, there's no point system, and there's grey areas. But there are also clear cut cases where a title is better or worse than its predecessor or sequel.
Depends on how much the grey matters. And that's also wholly subjective - if L-cancelling is a deal-breaker, Brawl will always be a better game because it doesn't have the critical flaw of useless APM-boosters at the highest level. You can argue all you want, but it's subjective.

I'd also say there's nothing wrong if the general art direction or feel of the other movie strikes a better cord with you. Starcraft: Brood War is generally considered a better competitive game than Starcraft 2, but the competitive scene still plays Starcraft 2 because it's good enough and newer.

So the second question is, is it just an opinion that Brawl is weaker in each of these aspects? In what way can I actually say that it is objectively better?

Brawl and Melee are similar enough games that you CAN compare them, and in the vast majority of categories you can compare them in, Melee is designed better as a competitive game.
CCing, L-canceling, the way juggling is skewed, among others... things that aren't in Brawl and [arguably - subjective too] improved the game for it.

Errors? That's subjective - camping is considered an "Error" because it's not fun, but there is ZERO reason that camping is objectively bad [enthymemes would prove every single claim of "it's bad" needs an "I feel" statement or it's logically incomplete]. Slow pacing is also A) subjective and B) not a measure of a game. Watchability is also completely viewer relevant - some can't watch Melee because it's too fast, that doesn't make it bad. And I personally love watching Brawl - that doesn't mean it's "fast enough" for others.

From a game design perspective, Brawl has a lot more failings than Melee. Lower skill ceiling, more random factors (like tripping), more infinites, slower pace, less ability to convert from hits (reducing the depth of the threats you can level against your opponent, which is important in mental games- imagine Poker if you weren't allowed to put the pressure of the threat of going All In), etc.
Those are all subjective because they all assert that X is better for competitive games - if the point of a competition is to see who can win the neutral more times, and who can convert whatever glancing blows into other glancing blows, Brawl is vastly superior to Melee, end of story (as an example, Puff could win the neutral like 12 times against Fox, but if Fox gets 4 combos into usmash on Yoshi's, he wins - the Puff player was the better reader, but the Fox was better at converting and/or survival DI, and therefore won. Is that what the point of a competition is? Who can make 4 reads and convert, and survive the rest? Or is it who can win the poking game?). And yet the generally accepted (but entirely subjective) goal is not that, which is why Brawl is held in lower regard.

The thing is, we can hold competitions for different things in the same game relative to what we want to look for. Insane combo ability? 64 is vastly superior if that's what you want, because there is no DI and that means combos are harder to escape from (that is a fact, if your opponent always takes the optimal route to a combo, with no DI combos are harder to escape than with DI). Crazy combos but a hope for escape? Melee all the way. The ultimate pokefest, with the goal being to wear down your opponent and slowly force more and more mistakes to capitalize on? There's no better Smash game than Brawl. (Also, I am assuming only non-modded smash games - UMvC3 would also be good for insane combos, as an example).

Randomness is present in both - is it a skill to overcome it? Yes - but we don't measure that.

Lower skill ceiling? Considering Nairo and Zero were still pushing it in Apex 2014 (and I would expect as much at Apex 2015 if it's there), the skill ceiling hasn't been capped. Sure, you might not have to mash as many buttons, but you can always improve how well you read someone - when two MKs can't hit each other but are still moving because of perfect reads of each other, we'll have capped out. Until then, not even close.

You can go all in, it's just harder (I've seen FOW go for a PKT2 offstage to KO someone - it worked and he won because of the trade favoring him, but it's possible to do crazy things like that in the name of victory - AND you're begging the question by assuming being able to go all in is necessarily a good thing - some may argue that Brawl has the only acceptable risk-reward for that, and that it's too rewarding in Melee, at which point Brawl would once again be the better game competitively).

Brawl is NOT worthless in any of these category. It's a valid fighting game. But Melee does each of them better.
I've already explained various aspects of what subjectivity actually IS, and various examples that should prove this false. BUT, line-by-line!

Nearly every change from Melee to Brawl has negative design reprecussions, in terms of game speed, player interaction, and combos. (More on combos below.)
You and nearly everyone else can fetishize speed, but that doesn't mean faster actions = good - forcing people to react faster won't necessarily make the game better, just more filled with errors - and while you have to force errors to win, forcing errors when they have more ability to react (or whatever - more airdodges, better ability to counterattack and recover) would show more skill than flow-charting a spacie recovery (yippie for them).

Shield stun
. Reduced shield stun made it easier to punish hits on shields. This made approaching riskier.
More bang for your buck when you do succeed - there's no objective reason that offensive play should be the defining factor of the game, not ONE objective reason out there. EVERY SINGLE REASON YOU CAN NAME is INHERENTLY subjective because they ALL rely on the claim "and I think x is better", and the words "AND I THINK" are the crippling flaw. You gotta fake them out more, make their shield shrink and stab it, or reposition to punish them for sitting still, but relentless shield pressure (Fox dair shine) is not necessarily a good thing.

Shield drop time
. Same as above, improved defensive play.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with improved defensive play, unless you already have a subjective framework that says "offense is good". And this actually gives players more OoS options, so if you want options, hey look - Brawl has more in the shielding department - it outclasses Melee there.

Better rolls
. Improved defensive play.
I'm getting redundant because you are using the same subjective argument. It's not inherently or objectively better to have better offense. Not proof at all.

Ability to interrupt hitstun
. This eliminated combos. The elimination of combos has has many negative effects:
* If you cannot combo, hitting someone defensively and aggressively is equally valuable. Hitting someone with a nair out of shield is just as good as rushing them down with a nair (unlike in Melee, where defensive attacks weren't as good because they are less likely to be set up for a combo).
* If you cannot combo, projectiles become more valuable, because individual hits are the end-all-be-all of punishment. In Melee, if you camp, each projectile does one hit, but if your opponent catches you, they can do five or six hits. In Brawl, each projectile does one hit, and if your opponent catches you they are going to hit you once, so why approach with a projectile? This improved defensive play.
* If you cannot combo, comebacks become much less likely, and there is less payoff from big risks. Imagine Poker, if betting was capped so players could not go All In. Losing games would get dragged out, because the losing player cannot take a big risk to get back in the game or lose it all.
* If you can break out of hitstun, you can do an attack and jump immediately to survive longer. This leads to VERY long survivability in Brawl.

Elimination makes the game more about footsies and neutral. If someone wants to make a game about that (as I discussed above), then that makes Brawl the ultimate footsies measurer and therefore the best competitive fighter out there (except Dive Kick maybe?). It's about what you think constitutes a competition, which is subjective, and why all your arguments fall hopelessly apart.

As to specific points:

- The best Melee players turn defensive hits into tech chases and combos. I don't see your point. Also that means you can transition smoothly from defense to offense
- Projectiles are awesome. I don't see why encouraging heavy use of projectiles in more than one matchup (Fox Puff) is objectively bad. Oh wait it's not you just assert it is when you don't know what the word "objectively" means.
- Comebacks are more focused on gimping in Brawl, last I checked - and characters still have true combos anyway, they just don't last for 80% (not that having 80% combos is good or bad - it's all opinion). Each read becomes more important - you had to fall far behind by a series of bad reads, and so you have to make the difference up to get back. You have to pony up more risk with the offstage and hard reads in Brawl than in Melee - that's not a bad thing at all.

On another note I don't understand why you say comeback mechanics like Rage are bad, but then state that the inability to make comebacks is bad. If you think it should be all player-driven, fine, but given that comebacks are generally considered (subjectively) to be exciting, mechanics that encourage it would seem to be a plus in a subjective book of yours - you get to see people have more need to finish it before they lose and the other player has higher hopes and a bigger incentive to go all in.
- Survivability is a testament to good DI and momentum cancelling - those are ATs that are relevant to competition (depending on what the best is supposed to be able to do), and actually adds an element of survival other games lack (though it removes some combos, I fully acknowledge that).

Related to that:

Strength of punishes matters a lot as far as depth in decisionmaking. Melee allows for much harder punishments if you DI wrong or make the wrong choice, which puts a lot more risk in many decisions. A great and simple example in a competitive game is Poker (Texas Hold 'Em). Imagine if Poker didn't have the ability to go all in and limited raises to three times the previous raise. It would not only make the game go slower, and prevent legitimate comebacks, but reduce the depth in decisionmaking, because you often wouldn't be able to pose a great enough threat to push your opponent off of hands.

Brawl is like this raise-capped version of Poker. The weak punishments harms the game in a number of ways. It doesn't make the game noncompetitive, but it hurts the game as a whole by reducing the mental threat a player can exert.
DEHF is a "mental terrorist" (some commentators called him that as a compliment, I do too) for a reason - he's a master of making a whole lot out of nothing. Like I said above, if you can worm your way in, force them to make more and more errors, you'll get so many punishes that even if they are only 7% each, they quickly add up to in excess of 80% or more, which makes it much harder for them to come back.

And the key there would be getting in their head - you have to make all the right plays, which in my opinion takes far more skill than making a few powerful combos, but that's not how others value it so the general consensus is different from my opinion.

Poker has even more RNG than Smash, so it's clearly less competitive, although that's entirely tertiary to what's being discussed - I just question the relevance of art, something where subjectivity is king/queen (is it offensive, or art, to have Brooke Shields pose nude as a 10-year old? Teri Shields thought "art") and Poker, where RNG can make anyone a champion (hey, get a Royal Flush and go all in, if a poker king makes a wrong read and calls your bluff, the new player's first hand ever beat the grand champion - something that would NEVER happen in Smash if a pro made one wrong read once in a match against a newer player).

Tripping.
Obvious issues.
As I said above, the ability to recover from unforeseen setbacks could be viewed as important in competition (and the ability to capitalize when they happen to someone else). I'm not saying I particularly like this line of reasoning, but it is one that does adequately demonstrate that reevaluating our subjective opinions and positions on what competition is, and what skills we look to test, could ultimately make tripping something that is actually valued as testing that skill further.

And every gem has its flaws. *cough* Melee *cough*

Multiple airdodges
improves defensive game.
Brain-dead juggling doesn't test skill. Or at least, in my opinion it doesn't - making the playing field more level would be an upgrade to some and a downgrade to others - this is once again premised on the faulty assumption that bad defensive options or options that favor offense objectively make for a more competitive game - they do not.

I think juggling is less one-sided in Brawl, but that's just me, not some fact that makes a comparison objective by any stretch of the imagination.

Slow fall speed
improves defensive game by preventing followups. The slowfalling characters in Melee are the hardest to combo (Samus, Luigi, Jigglypuff), and in Brawl everyone falls at those speeds.
Read the landing. It's another skill that's vital in Brawl that's not nearly as tested in Melee, unless you count tech-rolling, but I don't.

Ledge snaps
mean that players cannot overshoot the ledge, improving defensive play by removing the need for precision for recovery. This reduces player interaction, since there is no longer a guessing game of "is he going for the sweetspot or not?" as the player can sweetspot at any time rather than having to fake out his spacing to obscure whether he is aiming for the sweetspot.
Some characters don't have this (first and foremost), but it also means the edgeguarding player must be more active and go below the stage lip more often - more risk for a greater reward (the gimping) and that is arguably better for competition than double jab -> counter -> b-reversed up+b 4 times in a row. A larger sweetspot does not preclude interception - it just means the edgeguarder requires more skill to do so, and if more skill is what we want to see, Brawl clearly has the edge in the edgeguarding department (Melee has the edge in recovery skill required, but that's not always skill so much as an opponent guesses wrong or messing up, since there are times when a character literally has no options that can't be covered, which happens less in Brawl, meaning the Brawl player must commit less until they see where the opponent goes, and therefore would react faster, which would still be something more competitive in edgeguarding at least if testing reflexes is desired - and if skillful edgeguarding is the only thing people want to compete over, or feel it is the defining factor, then Brawl beats out Melee. That is not the prevailing opinion which [part of] is why it's not though).

And not everyone can go for the sweetspot whenever - Dedede, Sonic, Snake, Wario, "Wolf" [that thing is TINY], Peach backwards while floating (not sure about on the way up...), Ike, .half of Luigi's recovery (side+b and tornado - I'll say only half because super jump punch is used a lot of course) are who I can think of.

Also another case of nothing being perfect.

Improved recoveries initially seem like "different instead of worse", but what happened is that a small number of characters- Metaknight, Pit, G&W, and a few others- have such good offstage play that the ledge is their most advantaged position. This lead to planking, and then scrooging to get around the artificial ledge grab rules. This is literally the equivalent of a Street Fighter game in which the walls are a safer position than the center, so the community makes a "no back to the wall for too long" rule to fix camping. It's just bad game design.
Those both assume that camping is bad - it may be boring to watch, but if the goal is to play to win, do what it takes to win - if it's legal, do it, regardless of what others think.

This may actually somewhat lower the skill ceiling, if we're not testing for planking ability, but you have to hit the opponent at some point. This is also why every game ever has rulesets about these things (Temple is banned because of Fox - does that make Fox's camping ability in Melee a bad thing? No it makes that strategy and stage something we ban - so we ban the same strategy in Brawl, it just happens to be present in other areas.)

Also, gems have flaws (mainly the ledges being plankable, not recoveries being better).
Game balance. Metaknight is far better than any character in Melee relative to his cast, and Ice Climbers are absurdly good because the lack of combos makes their chaingrab way stronger (their opponent can't zero death them back). Dedede has chaingrabs on half the cast that makes them unviable. Ness. Lucas. Lots more of the cast are just unplayable in Brawl due to the environment with very very skewed matchups/
Play a spacie, ICs, be a titan, or be Axe or aMSa if you want to break top 5. Yeah, Melee is balanced.

Oh wait...

Sheik invalidates like everyone not in the top half (Dedede is her replacement). Fox and Falco are the two strongest and beat everyone else except Marth and Samus (Falco has other even MUs but whatever, that's what Fox does). ICs and MK do the same thing - MK does it on one character (except for sort of Pikachu), and Marth also invalidates anyone without range in Melee.

In Brawl you have like 10 viable characters - the top 9, and Fox and/or Wolf who have a pocket TL (that's sufficient coverage, you could go elsewhere). Meanwhile, in Melee you have 2 viable characters (3 because Marth can handle the top 2) and some players who make the others look viable - but go to tournament results and check how often people place that aren't one of the top 5 or a spacie - it's incredibly low (Wobbles, thanks for playing ICs well). But ADHD won SKTAR 3 (I think that was it), a solo Snake main took 2nd (MVD), and an Olimar took 3rd (Denti). The odds of no spacie being in top 3? The odds that M2K, Armada, Hbox are the finish AND that Hbox doesn't hit M2K (who would go Fox), or if M2K is not there, put Axe, aMSa, or perhaps Mango's Falcon. That's very, VERY low odds. In Melee, at BEST, being generous, you have 6 viable characters, 7 if you have a backup for ICs (Peach problems) (Captain Falcon struggles against spacies and Sheik too much with them being half the tournament), so if you do the math:

9/39 = ~25%
7/28 = 25% (I think it should really be 4 and 4 players).

The game balance isn't really any different, except MK polarizes things. If you ban MK, the game balance in Brawl actually improves significantly, with no one having no losing MUs. In Melee you need to ban Fox and Falco, which then needs a Puff ban since Fox is illegal, to remove characters with no losing MUs.

. In Melee, you could cancel a run by crouch cancelling, dash dancing, or wavedashing. In Brawl, you can't cancel a run except by jumping. This means running is a commitment in Brawl (the runner is going to dash attack or shieldgrab). So, Brawl players rarely run. This lowered game speed, as players had to walk to move safely.
Pivot grab, tomahawk anything, spotdodge, roll back, shield drop -> anything, upsmash, RAR bair.. there are tons of options.

I have also read various arguments about how dash-dancing not having any form of commitment is actually a really bad thing, and that pretty much all forms of movement in all other games have commitment (you can't block while walking in any other fighter). If you want free, safe movement, then ok, Melee is better, but that's a subjective opinion, and other fighting games also have most movement options requiring commitment. If everything should have a commitment, which is the case in other games, then Brawl is superior by this measure, and I have talked to people who play other games and say as much - they don't like Smash because movement is "too easy" and too safe.

Removal of L-cancelling with no corresponding reduction in aerial lag.
This resulted in all characters having longer landing lag. This not only reduced game speed because of longer landing lag, it also lowered game speed by forcing people to aim for autocancel windows (usually meant people could not fastfall their aerials), and it improved defensive play by making many moves unsafe on shield that were previously safe AND it reduced followups to attacks.
MK got lag reduction :awesome: Joking aside, autocancelling aerials adds an element of strategy - instead of mashing the shield button and subsequently down+B, you have to actually space your aerials to make them safer (Marth has a safe fair, Falco bair is relatively safe, among other things), and this requires more in the spacing department. Melee had it too, but as my hyperbole of Fox should explain, it was not nearly as relevant on some characters.

It also encourages position-based follow-ups, where you force the opponent into a worse spot and continue to capitalize over and over - the "mental terrorism" I mentioned earlier, which may be more desirable to some.

Assuming safety on shields is good is assuming that the game should be oriented towards strong offense and bad defense - that's an opinion, not an objective fact.

Infinite combos and chain grabs. Brawl has much, much more of these. Dedede has infinites on five characters out of a grab that makes them unviable, Fox gets infinited by a half dozen characters, Wario gets infinited by 3-4 characters, etc etc. There's at least a dozen or more wall infinites in the game as well, and tons of chaingrabs that DON'T require DI chasing.
Wobbling, waveshine infinites. Dedede's infinites are usually banned (and the characters I can think of are unviable for other reasons, except Wolf?), and non-DI chasing CGs exist in Melee too (Marth's fthrow shenanigans on spacies are one example). Having to DI CGs that last up to death if not DI'd is arguably worse than having CGs that are not DIable but only last X percent (Dedede is like 30% or something). And walls are banned for a reason, those exist too in Melee (a top comment in a set of Wobbles vs Axe was "Nice 211% wobble Axe" because he trapped Wobbles with Pikachu's jab on Pokémon Stadium - that stuff happens in Melee too, and on a very common stage, unlike in Brawl where you MAY see Pokémon but it's not something all the spacies will CP to almost every time).

You also assume DI-less CGs don't make for a competitive game, but they raise the acuity required to make sure one avoids grabs, and the reward for grabbing (an offensive option) becomes higher. That said, ICs present in both games still locks this down hard.

In every measurement of a good competitive game- in depth of player interaction, in game speed, in ability to make comebacks *without* a rubber banding mechanic, in viewability- Melee is better designed than Brawl. Every game change in Brawl served to make the game more defensive and campy, make interactions slower, and make the game less of a spectator sport, as well as less balanced.
Not less balanced (that's above - Brawl's bottom tiers have a chance against some members of the top, but the top 8 all hard counter the bottom 4 in Melee - not true in Brawl at all).

You've begged the question by saying "I assert that campiness is bad, therefore Brawl is worse" when what I'm contesting is that campiness is objectively bad. It's not, and you are not able to quantify why it objectively would be (and you can try - I'll keep pointing out all the opinions you sneak in to make your claims). Better reactions due to more time on both ends could make the reactions much more "skin of one's teeth" and the like, which could make it all the more intense to watch. Is that a bad thing? Some would say yes, I don't think so, but that's my opinion, not an objective fact.

I enjoy spectating Brawl doubles far more than Melee doubles - it's much easier to follow and still very engaging, and team combos are vital in Brawl compared to 2 1v1s that can occur in Melee more often. In terms of singles I also still love spectating Brawl events - Melee matches are fun too but there are only so many ways to shine spike someone.

This isn't a matter of opinion- this is game design and knowledge of the game. Brawl's game design encourages defensive play, encourages not fastfalling and early aerials to land autocancels (slowing the game down), makes projectiles and defensive hits too powerful due to poor rewards on offensive hits, and makes the ledge way, way, way too good.
You don't seem to understand what an objective fact is - Brawl's game design encourages those things, sure, but "poor rewards" is subjective (again, ultimate footsies for the ultimate mental master) and "way too good" is the definition of subjective, because your definition of "way too good'" and Mango's definition of "way too good" and someone else's definition of "Way too good" can be (are) vastly different.
It's perfectly fine to prefer Brawl to Melee! Don't get me wrong. But it's unquestionably the best designed game in the series (unless you count Project M, then you can argue).
Poisoned Melee? The only two words I ever enjoyed reading from Xyro, but I was counting real Smash games here (Brawl- > Project M, because it has a competitive depth that's more entertaining [though most refuse to see it, looking only skin-deep] and it's not just a Melee rip-off [except for Fox, but that's part of why he's Minusy]).

I'll keep arguing, relentlessly beating people over the head with the definition of the word "objectively", until people stop claiming that a normative statement can ever be objective, because it can't be by definition. When people stop making objectively false statements (namely, using the word "objectively" in their opinions"), I'll stop getting out the dictionary and de-bunking arguments point-by-point that claim to be objective when they aren't.
Melee is not some perfect paragon that can never be defeated, but almost all of the design changes had negative effects that can be documented and quantified. The number of new mechanics with positive influences on the metagame (like glide tossing) are very, very, very low.
I don't even know how positive glide tossing is - if you have an item, should you be able to move out of shield with it? If you roll, should you be committed, even if you can throw an item? These are all subjective, and therefore can't be known to positive (as much as I like glide tossing and DACUSing, it's foolish to argue they are objectively positive things).

So, despite thinking Brawl is way underrated by Melee players, I very strongly attest that from a game design perspective Melee should be looked at as the best designed game in the series. That does NOT mean that you have to play Melee. That does NOT mean that you shouldn't play Brawl or pick up Smash 4. Saying Starcraft: Brood War is generally considered better than Starcraft 2 doesn't mean you need to abandon SC2. But in the context of these discussions, Melee is better than Brawl, objectively, and can be looked at in that light for game design comparisons.
I already play Melee, and Brawl, and I've already more than disproven that your inability to use the word "objectively" correctly makes the last sentence hilarious only for its utter falsehood.

And I think Melee is a fantastic competitive game, but CCing is definitely something that could be pointed to as a flaw - artificially buffing shines and making some moves (and Roy as a character) nearly worthless when they otherwise would not be - that's arguably a bad design choice too, but people defend it to the death as well, having misconceived notions that their opinions and feelings constitute objective facts, when they never have and never will.

CCing also has strong merits that cause many to label it a positive - I'm not saying I think it is or isn't, but it's another facet of a mechanic that is rarely considered, assumed to be positive because people ignore repercussion of it.

I'm also not saying you can't think now and forever that Melee is superior to Brawl, but claiming your (admittedly popular) opinion to be something objective is just factually incorrect.

-------

Related to your last point, I don't really feel like helping with data entry, given how much argumentation I've had to type up (this was about equivalent to my longest post in the debate hall) and how my typing predisposes my feelings to people I've not actually met [I'm judgmental - boo-hoo], but give me the weekend to cool off and I may see about helping out.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Why are people so fixated on MK (who cares about that character) focus more on Ice climbers. And heck I'll type it (half of anyone doesn't even know how to fight MK or at least know how to punish or maximize a single PUNISH MK would use (or any character to be exact).

Melee is the best

Brawl is second

Others are third

Last edited:

TheBrill

Smash Rookie
Good thread. I've been playing Smash since my toddler days playing 64 with my dad and sister, but Brawl was also my introduction to the competitive scene. Actually, Brawl always seemed a little less intimidating to me as opposed to the intense and aggressive play style Melee brought.

Regardless, its hard to say if Brawl will die out or not, and if myself as a person would rather see it be laid to rest or kept alive. It just seems wrong to me to see one of the smash games fade to black, even if it is the black sheep of the flock.

I can't speak for the majority but my mindset is this: if I see a tournament that is in my distance and it offers Brawl, in addition to whatever other Smash games are being played, then I will continue to train and compete in the tournaments, not for pride or keeping it my "dominant game", but just because of the heart and nostalgia I have for all the Smash games.

Also, in regards to the one stock rule, that might break things open a bit, but the substantial issue remains how the IC's and MK should be handled, as keeping both of those characters on a one stock tournament would be serious overkill.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
long ass post no one will read
Jesus, my man, you just said this game is an art form and therefore discussion is entirely subjective and then go on to refute every point saying it's subjective. What do you want then, everyone to objectively argue about it, just as you said there's no objective arguing about it?
In cases like this, it's just majority rule. If the majority likes a subjective feature (speed, bad recovery, approaching over camping), then that's gonna be considered better.

ProtoMac

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chizu-kun
3DS FC
0619-4450-4979
I'm pretty sure Brawl will die out. Why play the slowest game in the history with random tripping if there's Project M and SSBWU?

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Slowest? You're serious right? It's not the fact that "the game is slow" it's more biased based towards MK being the superior character to choose almost every-time and as well experimented deeply while the other characters have no not truly been deeply experimented. Above all that (Brawl can string combo and actually is a great design all together).

What does the Wii-U version carry? New characters, stages, and that 8players play (which is expected anyway because it's a brand new game and idk how that 8player play will actually work).

The WiFi (that so many thought would be better than Brawl isn't working out for many) I always told a butt load of people "Wi-Fi will always lag no matter what" The combo game and competitiveness is a complete cringing horror (techniques are dumb-ed, lag move sets, low damage imput, and no more edge guarding). And I've played the demo (it's not worth buying really).

The only true banes in Brawl I view is poor Wi-Fi reconstruction, tripping of course, and abusing certain characters (then leaving other characters to rot with select screen dust).

And FYI 'camping' is as well used in Melee (so don't only fire the pistol only on that old subject that's been going on for years and years). Even Street Fighter games are relied towards camping (like when players are versing Zangief). I've wrote enough.

Last edited:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Brawl cannot and will not be saved.

6 years of MK domination in singles a doubles

5 years of Extremist TOs with "voices of power" who have whittled down the stage list to nothing but MK/Diddy/IC/Olimar stages.

4 years of highly campy/defensive play shown across the top 5-7 characters. In some MUs, time outs have become the status quo.

3 years of anti brawl/pro melee commentators, SWF mods+admin and media.

For right or for wrong, With all of this blood on Brawls ledger, the game has been sent to cult status or smash 64 status.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Once again it's due to the fact that no one knew how to fight against MK until mid 2010 or beginning 2011.

There's not really a point to get into detail since you're suborn to think there wont be change in this game hence there is now new character untapped potential and so much more if players would just play this game and every other Smash game.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Jesus, my man, you just said this game is an art form and therefore discussion is entirely subjective and then go on to refute every point saying it's subjective. What do you want then, everyone to objectively argue about it, just as you said there's no objective arguing about it?
In cases like this, it's just majority rule. If the majority likes a subjective feature (speed, bad recovery, approaching over camping), then that's gonna be considered better.
Something being considered better does not make it objectively better.

But Praxis seems to think it does, so I had to spend forever explaining why in every single case that is a false statement.

I have no problem with people having opinions, or a majority's decision about what they feel constitutes "better". I have problems with people asserting that something is objective when it's not, can't be, never has been, and never will be. The community can have all the opinions it wants, but asserting that those opinions are objective is a lie, unless you are simply trying to change the meaning of the English language.

If Praxis had said "There is a general consensus that Brawl is not as good as Melee [or whatever he said originally rephrased without trying to assert it is objective]" then I'd never have said anything in the first place, because there is nothing wrong with that statement - the majority holds that opinion. It's when someone says "X is objectively better than Y" about game mechanics that differ (and art forms) that I take issue. People can argue about it all day long, but the inability to stop asserting that something is objectively better, when it is not, is both incredibly moronic and is a great way to generate a rift between the two groups (which did happen).

I'm impressed you read enough of it to realize what I did though, given the quote you put in the speech box.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Whether people want to type Brawl is bad, I'll just type no it's not you may be however not really too fond of how to win hard matches and such. But overall, the game is a solid B.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
The reason Melee never died out was because Brawl was that drastically different there was bound to be people who would prefer one over the other. The new Smash Bros seems to be pretty similar to Brawl so it's more likely that the Brawl players will simply upgrade to the new games. I can easily see a similar thing happening with the Melee scene if Nintendo were to release a new Melee-esc Smash game.

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
If they released a Melee version and adding new characters with WiFi and such. Brawl, PM, and heck maybe even 64 will truly die out.

Smash4 carries terrible string combo potential, too much effects, advanced techniques are basically all gone (but they are now discovering new stuff but It's nothing to dwell happy over).

What separates Brawl from 4 is no tripping and less WiFi options like For Glory and for fun and new characters of course. Everything else is all the same but 4 has garbage string combo potential and once more laggy move sets.

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Cutting down to the meat.
I'd argue yes.

This can depend on the parameters, which I do not believe most people use correctly. I also do not believe this post quoted does so either. The biggest problems people have in creating their parameters is their experience with the smash series as a whole.

For instance, watchability is a pretty subjective parameter to create making it useless. Melee was universally trashed on until the community made an effort to bring it recognition. Poker is another example, which no one bothered paying attention to until recently and certainly isnt exciting to someone uninformed of the game. Looking to sports, baseball and football have long strings of downtime where youre literally watching nothing and are still more popular than basketball or soccer, which have constant action. Theres way more evidence that perception is MUCH more important than something more subjective like watchability, since competition which is watchable is extremely varied.

Again, these are bad parameters (except player interaction with the right context). Ill edit commentary onto the statements below as well that covers all this.

Shield stun. Reduced shield stun made it easier to punish hits on shields. This made approaching riskier.
This actually creates reduced depth. In reality this doesnt affect melee the way most people think since only 4 characters in melee had true shield pressure and one of them was impossible to play. In essence you have three characters that could play the game like smash 64 while the rest of the cast had a different set of rules that didnt allow them to hit shields free. Like smash 64, this design provided less depth to the game since it eliminated one of the essential RPS elements of Attack, Shield, Grab. Shielding became useless against these characters, and as a result the games depth suffers.

Shield drop time. Same as above, improved defensive play.
Judgments on offensive and defensive play is a bad parameter.

Better rolls. Improved defensive play.

Ability to interrupt hitstun. This eliminated combos. The elimination of combos has has many negative effects:
This is a heavy misunderstanding of Brawl and Melee. Brawl has a very deep punish game that provides for statistically favorable follow-ups on hit and certainly provides incentive to attain those hits. Probabilities are also much improved off offensive hits, which is much less relevant in melee. Additionally the risk of being hit in melee and taking lots of damage leads to more defensive gameplay. The only reason this is occasionally counter-acted at top level play is due to true shield pressure by a select few characters, which as I mentioned earlier reduces depth by removing shield as a viable option. However melee in spirit is a truly defensive game.

Related to that:

This is a bad analogy. Its not about how strong or weak punishes are but how varied they are. Brawl may not have have the best variability but neither does melee.

Tripping. Obvious issues.
Tripping is a a bad mechanic but not for the reasons people thing. Random elements do not harm competitive play and are capable of enhancing it over those that try too hard to remove them, however tripping itself was a poor way to implement this and is basically uselss.

Multiple airdodges improves defensive game.

Slow fall speed improves defensive game by preventing followups. The slowfalling characters in Melee are the hardest to combo (Samus, Luigi, Jigglypuff), and in Brawl everyone falls at those speeds.

Ledge snaps mean that players cannot overshoot the ledge, improving defensive play by removing the need for precision for recovery. This reduces player interaction, since there is no longer a guessing game of "is he going for the sweetspot or not?" as the player can sweetspot at any time rather than having to fake out his spacing to obscure whether he is aiming for the sweetspot.
Judgments on offensive and defensive play is a bad parameter. Also, there was no guessing game for melee either except for fox or maybe lower levels of play.

First of all, the problem is with the ledge in this case not the recoveries. I agree with the sentiment, however melees ledges were just as bad or worse. Most characters had a perfect stall on the ledge, even worse characters like fox could grab the ledge and literally take their invincibility with them for 15 frames which is BS. The ledge in melee may be harder to abuse but is overall MUCH WORSE in its ability to be abused than brawls. Melee should have an LGL, but Melee players revere melee over their competitive spirit to abuse this mechanic.

Game balance. Metaknight is far better than any character in Melee relative to his cast, and Ice Climbers are absurdly good because the lack of combos makes their chaingrab way stronger (their opponent can't zero death them back). Dedede has chaingrabs on half the cast that makes them unviable. Ness. Lucas. Lots more of the cast are just unplayable in Brawl due to the environment with very very skewed matchups.
Melee is worse off in this regard. Metaknight is an easier character to abuse than fox, but at top level play other characters approach metaknights strength and are capable of outplaying them (see: last several Brawl nationals having varied winners). The opposite is true of Fox, at top level play other characters begin to level out while fox's strength improves at a drastic rate.

MUs are also skewed much more greatly in melee. For instance, characters such as ness, yoshi, or luigi have good MUs vs occasional high and top tiers in Brawl. In melee this doesnt happen at all, bad characters tend to be universally bad. Additionally you have sheik who is basically a combination of DDD's chaingrabs and Metaknights easy to use design.

Running. In Melee, you could cancel a run by crouch cancelling, dash dancing, or wavedashing. In Brawl, you can't cancel a run except by jumping. This means running is a commitment in Brawl (the runner is going to dash attack or shieldgrab). So, Brawl players rarely run. This lowered game speed, as players had to walk to move safely.
In Brawl you can cancel runs by jumping, shielding, spot dodging, rolling, grabbing, dash attacking, DACUS (for those who had it) and upsmashing (granted jump cancelled). For some of these characters certain options were better than others, and it depended on having a good dash in the first place. As pikachu, shielding, spot dodge, roll, grab, and upsmash were all common uses for me. Brawl does move slower however and I agree with the sentiment itself.

Removal of L-cancelling with no corresponding reduction in aerial lag. This resulted in all characters having longer landing lag. This not only reduced game speed because of longer landing lag, it also lowered game speed by forcing people to aim for autocancel windows (usually meant people could not fastfall their aerials), and it improved defensive play by making many moves unsafe on shield that were previously safe AND it reduced followups to attacks.
Virtually nothing is safe on shield in melee except spaced attacks, same as Brawl, with the exceptions I mentioned above. Autocancels in Brawl were much more common and easier, in Brawl pika had 4 aerials he could SH autocancel vs 1 in melee. So yes there was something to make up for it. Kinda lol about fastfalling making a big difference in speed, the biggest difference came from the general fall speeds themselves.

Nah Melees were just as bad. People just consider it more "fair" that everyone can chaingrab fox, falco, falcon cause theyre good and are more willing to give a pass on wobbling even if by design its worse than Brawl ICs because ICs arent as good, but by design its just as bad or worse. Also sheik.

Not terribly great parameters. You also stated three things which fall under he banner of viewability (which is a poor parameter for reasons described).

Also you seem to make a lot of judgements on defense vs offense which is problematic for a few reasons.
1) Unless its degenerate (which it isnt) theres nothing wrong with defense
1a) You might say something about watchability, but I already covered that above
2)Melee is just as defensive as Brawl. Brawl is a slower game but it is not significantly more defensive if at all.
This is actually a good thing though, since a game with a more defensive tilt provides more depth. Thats a whole different story though.
Sorry man, but Project M has the least amount of depth. But its still fun.

In any case, while I do agree we can use some measure to attempt to judge quality of a game and perhaps provide comparisons, this wasnt a good attempt for reasons given.

To summarize, you place an unusually heavy emphasis on watchability (though you said it was meant to be small). But you also tried to sort of mitigate this by trying to pull out different points as something capable of standing alone. Unfortunately most fall under the parameter of watchability, which is a fallicious parameter as mentioned. Other points were mistaken then corrected. And the rest is fairly subjective. Brawl certainly has its bs nonsense, but as compared to melee theres little to nothing that points to it being a better game objectively.

Last edited:

Thor

Smash Champion
Cutting down to the meat.

This can depend on the parameters, which I do not believe most people use correctly. I also do not believe this post quoted does so either. The biggest problems people have in creating their parameters is their experience with the smash series as a whole.

For instance, watchability is a pretty subjective parameter to create making it useless. Melee was universally trashed on until the community made an effort to bring it recognition. Poker is another example, which no one bothered paying attention to until recently and certainly isnt exciting to someone uninformed of the game. Looking to sports, baseball and football have long strings of downtime where youre literally watching nothing and are still more popular than basketball or soccer, which have constant action. Theres way more evidence that perception is MUCH more important than something more subjective like watchability, since competition which is watchable is extremely varied.

Again, these are bad parameters (except player interaction with the right context). Ill edit commentary onto the statements below as well that covers all this.

Not terribly great parameters. You also stated three things which fall under he banner of viewability (which is a poor parameter for reasons described).

Also you seem to make a lot of judgements on defense vs offense which is problematic for a few reasons.
1) Unless its degenerate (which it isnt) theres nothing wrong with defense
1a) You might say something about watchability, but I already covered that above
2)Melee is just as defensive as Brawl. Brawl is a slower game but it is not significantly more defensive if at all.
This is actually a good thing though, since a game with a more defensive tilt provides more depth. Thats a whole different story though.

Sorry man, but Project M has the least amount of depth. But its still fun.

In any case, while I do agree we can use some measure to attempt to judge quality of a game and perhaps provide comparisons, this wasnt a good attempt for reasons given.

To summarize, you place an unusually heavy emphasis on watchability (though you said it was meant to be small). But you also tried to sort of mitigate this by trying to pull out different points as something capable of standing alone. Unfortunately most fall under the parameter of watchability, which is a fallicious parameter as mentioned. Other points were mistaken then corrected. And the rest is fairly subjective. Brawl certainly has its bs nonsense, but as compared to melee theres little to nothing that points to it being a better game objectively.
I don't think you read my post. Or else you feel I did a terrible job.

And no, Tagxy and I are not the same person.

But I do agree with him.

Last edited:

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Alright, so I wondered how exactly we can save Brawl from the "How can we save brawl" thread. Oh, I figured it out (by continuing to Brawl and upload entertaining matches to show some sort of attraction that Brawl is still well and still fun and always will be.

So, anyone want to brawl? I'm always making an effort to write and PLAY brawl. So, here's my FC: 0903 5382 1196

You don't need to message me here if you don't want to. Just message me through PM and such. Long live Brawl~

Last edited:

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Alright, so I wondered how exactly we can save Brawl from the "How can we save brawl" thread. Oh, I figured it out (by continuing to Brawl and upload entertaining matches to show some sort of attraction that Brawl is still well and still fun and always will be.

So, anyone want to brawl? I'm always making an effort to write and PLAY brawl. So, here's my FC: 0903 5382 1196

You don't need to message me here if you don't want to. Just message me through PM and such. Long live Brawl~
Dead and Gone~

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Warning Received
Lol degenerate admiral pit though? Wow...

Besides which i suppose that would be considered redundant but i have nothing personal against him

Top Bottom