• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can We Save Brawl?

Will Brawl die out?

• Total voters

G.i.R.

Smash Rookie
I think brawl will reach the 64 stage. in MN, brawl is almost at that point. I've been home for about 5 months and i've only heard about 2 brawl tournaments, and one of those is a going away tourny for someone who entered the MN smash scene with brawl.

I'll still play brawl with my friends and at friendlies and what-not, because it's the smash game that got me into the competitive gaming scene and gave me something to do with all my free time.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I've had a lot of thoughts on this that I've posted elsewhere.

Here are a collection of random thoughts from my experience in the smash community on what you (yes, you) can do, and what you shouldn't be doing

-Don't trash talk the game. This one is obvious. Doesn't matter if you're joking, outsiders overhearing you don't know you're joking.

-Actually go to tournaments! People just john nonstop instead of making the effort. Come on guys, we can all be trying a little harder. Hobbies cost time and money. Don't have money? If you're a student, there's still plenty you can do.

-Host wifi tournaments. Read my guide on how to use wifi, it literally takes 5 minutes to set up if you have a SD card. Reach out to people who actually can't go to tournaments, you never know who might show up in your region one day.

-HOLY ****, REACH OUT TO SCHOOLS. AS IN, LIKE, TODAY. See what MDZ did for Melee? There's no reason we can't get more smash games popular in schools. Start a club. If your club doesn't get approved, join a similar one. If there are no similar ones, bring a wii to your program's common room. Actually, you know what? Do that anyway. /u/itsTOjoe is top of this ****, holler at him for advice.

-Is there another school in your city? See if they have an anime, gaming, or other nerdy activity club. Contact them about possible interest in running Smash Bros. Clubs are very receptive with this stuff.

-Posters and flyers in city centres. Chances are your downtown core has bulletin boards and telephone poles free for public use. Advertise those tournaments.

-Don't know where to host a tournament? Ask around at game stores. Community centres. Libraries. Schools and colleges, especially ones you attend. Sports bars. Party centres. Hit up every one of them until you get one for a good price that you think you can break even on with all those entrants your advertising efforts are recruiting. What's the worst that'll happen? They'll say no, and you try another one. Host at someone's house if you have to.

-Got a convention coming up? Contact gaming staff ahead of time. Offer to help with Smash, suggest they run it if they aren't already. Conventions have a ****load of people who have never heard of competitive Brawl, get on that ****! If you can't run it, go anyway and hit up as many people as you can and talk about your scene. Make some promotional materials (like I made my region's cards, flyers work too, link to an event page or facebook group or website) and hand them out. And for the love of god don't go around 3 stocking (or 1-stocking, if you prefer that ruleset) everyone with chaingrabs and shuttle loops. Yes, these things are part of the game, but this is about first impressions. Brawl has some lame ****, sure, but it's more tolerable once you're ALREADY liking the competitive scene, not being **** on with a "guess what, there's more where that came from, come on out!" tagline.

-"Theres a game store hosting a tournament, but... but... it's a FFA with items! What do I do?!" Go anyway and don't be a ****. This is a potential new tournament venue that you should be making a professional presence at. Recruit people like you would at a convention, have fun and don't be a snob, and don't leave without discussing future tournaments with the organizers!

-INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO TOURNAMENTS IF THEY LIKE VIDEO GAMES! Seriously just do it! Make a Facebook event and invite them!

-Get on Craigslist, get on Kijiji, get on your city's subreddit's classifieds if it has one, get on any local event listing (i.e. BlogTO.com for Toronto). Free classifieds never hurt anyone.

-Run some out-of-the-ordinary events! Run an Arcadian, run pro-am doubles! Run a FFA side event! These events are the ****!

-Ask to be made an admin on your region's local Facebook group. Make sure every single event has a Facebook event, and make sure EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT GROUP GETS AN INVITE! Does your region only have a Melee group? Ask if anyone would be interested in a Brawl side event, to start with. See if anyone else in that group who is sympathetic to Brawl will help you fan the flames before posting. Some regions are cooler than others about this, YMMV.

-Try playing other Smash games. Hit up a melee smashfest and make friends. You never know who there is a closet Brawl fan that you can bond with.

-Start streaming. Make highlight videos of recent tournaments. Post your hype Brawl vids to Reddit or wherever. Content is the only thing that can change the minds of those who've already decided the game sucks without ever playing or watching it.

-Help your community be more accessible. I have a lot of design and advertising work to do, but I made http://ontario-smash.com as a gateway and community hub that focuses on every Smash game. Everyone loves news articles. This is just an example.

-See if your local venue, game store, community center, etc will post your posters or house your business cards. Anywhere that gets traffic.

-Melee/PM guys: for those of you extending the olive branch to us, please, please consider stepping up your moderation. Stomp down Brawl-hate threads in your fb groups. Make your commentators focus on the game at hand, and reprimand them for snide comments about other games. Make your voice heard, set an example, you have much more power than you think. If you have no administrative power, then at least help the brawl guy spread the word about his tourney, or help keep the rowdier haters at bay. Everyone likes to know they have support and aren't alone, even if you don't have any interest in the game itself. It's hard to be outnumbered.

Of course nobody is actually going to do any of this, people would rather tell each other about how brawl is dead like it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You know what's much more effective than talking about a game dying? Playing it.

At worst Brawl will be like Smash 64 with a small but dedicated player base that plays online with a couple big events. It's not going anywhere.

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
I for one plan on milking as much money as I can out of Brawl. I plan on keeping competitive with Brawl so that when there are local tournaments with waning entrant counts, I can monopolize them. There have to be others with similar plans, and that, my friends, is the savior of Brawl. :awesome::happysheep:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Brawl should probably experiment with a combination of a MK ban and a more liberal stage list, since most of the stages that are bad for ICs have been banned because MK was too good on them. Experimenting with different rulesets is fine, since competitive Brawl doesn't really have much of a chance at being more than a niche game going forward.

LOGIA666

Smash Apprentice
Brawl will end up like 64 at best.

People still play Brawl, despite it's differences from Melee for four reasons (Not all apply to everyone)

• More characters
  • Better graphics
  • Online play
  • Some people prefer a slower, less technical style than Melee.

However, Project M solves problems 1 and 2, while offering Melee mechanics, and Smash 4 solves every problem, and Brawl players won't mind the slight speed increase. It'll have more characters, even better graphics, and better online play.

People still played Melee after Brawl because of what it lacked competitively to Melee players. It stood the test of time. Brawl on the other hand, has nothing competitively to keep it anchored in the competitive scene once Smash 4 comes out like Melee did.

Competitive players will stick with Melee and Project M, and even give Smash 4 a shot while casual players will be playing Smash 4, ignoring brawl completely for the "new thing" Brawl doesn't even have online mode to the general public without using alternate servers, which only people deeply invested in the community will know about.

Long story short, Melee/PM, and Smash 4 each have their own things to keep them afloat. Brawl has none.

• Smash 4 will have more characters, and Project M has the same amount, with Melee gameplay. No reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 will have better graphics. Again, no reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 will have superior online play (For those who care about it) while Brawl has none, save for taking the time to set up the alternate server stuff, which only the people who follow the community know about. I repeat, no reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 still retains the slow approach that Brawl players legitimately enjoyed, albeit slightly faster. I conclude: No reason to play Brawl.
We might get a few people here and there that play it casually at home with their friends, should they not have a Wii U/3DS, and the game may still be played as friendlies to pass the time, but from both a competitive, and casual standpoint, I can literally see no reason to play Brawl.

Last edited:

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
Some competitive players believe that Brawl is a better test of everything but technical skill. Brawl is a more cold and calculated game, where things like mindgames and cerebral play are more important. Brawl is a slower game so strategies are clear to both players.

These are all the reasons that some people (not me) believe that Brawl is just as good a competitive game as the others are and will be.

G.i.R.

Smash Rookie
i play brawl competitively, but i dont feel it's just as good a competitive game as melee. i feel melee takes more skill in order to avoid the combos and also to execute the combos that the character can do. i feel brawl is a good casually competitive game (if that makes sense) to maybe get new players into a competitive scene without throwing a ton of techs at them for them to learn (unless you like that type of challenge). one of our top ranking people in MN entered the smash scene with brawl and he's pretty good at melee and PM now.

we should stop ripping into brawl and calling it a bad game cause of no wave dash and tripping(thatwasbadsothatsalegitamateexcuse). it got me into competitive smash, but i didn't go to melee since i lost my melee and didn't have it for about 2 years before brawl came out so i couldn't practice that. i know our top players in brawl play melee as well just because brawl is a casually competitive game.

maybe trying to get balanced brawl more publicity could help us "save" brawl or we could just wait for sm4sh to come out and see what happens there and let brawl become a graphically enhanced smash 64. the latter will most likely be what happened.

what we could do if the above doesn't work or no one is willing to try it is cater to the new players in brawl and sm4sh and maybe transition them to be competitive in melee as well so we can have a bigger scene for all the games, if that doesn't kill sm4sh.

EnigmaticScarecrow

Smash Cadet
While I do enjoy competitive Brawl, I am pretty positive that it will die out, but not completely. It will probably just become like Smash 64, give or take a small portion of its audience, mainly due to Apex. As long as Brawl doesn't get removed from the list of games at Apex (which I don't see happening), then there will still be an audience for the game.

If "die out" means have no audience, then no, I don't see that happening.
If "die out" means have a very small audience in comparison to the more popular Smash games (which I assume it does), then yes, it will probably die out.

yomanwazzap

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yomanwazzap
I'm unsure if a similar thread has been made before (not counting Toronto Joe's State of Brawl info thread), but I wanted to open up a discussion about this. Brawl was my first Smash. I've always loved the game, and as such, I do not want to see it go. Many Smashers are saying that Brawl is dead. They say if Project M (no hate on it, I enjoy it too) hasn't already killed it, Smash 4 will deal the death blow to Brawl. Personally, I think it doesn't have to be. In this thread, I want to discuss with all of the other Brawl fans about what we as a community can do to keep our game alive. Here are some ideas:

1. One Stock Ruleset. Aside from the campy Grand Finals, I think we can agree that this worked well at GOML. Watching the games at home, it was great to see Melee players like Mango playing Brawl and a substantial crowd watching the matches. This Ruleset is more dynamic than the three stock rules and allows for less time for the difference between top tier characters and mid tiers become evident. It's more exciting. I really liked what I saw at GOML with the One stock Ruleset and I think its usage in future Brawl tournaments will be beneficial.

2. Ban MK and possibly ICs. I don't mean to offend anyone. But I do think this has been a long time coming. Meta Knight's superiority over the rest of the cast has been increasingly evident as he wins so many tournaments. It's tiring seeing Top 8s full of Meta Knights. I think the metagame would be more diverse and interesting with his absence. Now, Ice Climbers. Before I say anything about them, I want everyone to understand this: I have the utmost respect for Ice Climbers players. The technical skill needed to pull off their chaingrab is not to be understated. That said, I don't think they are healthy for the game. As mentioned above, at the GOML grand finals, MK vs ICs was not fun to watch. It's very campy and it can easily lead to time, which makes Brawl look bad. I understand that you do what you have to do to win, but again, it makes Brawl look bad. With the banning of these characters, or at least MK, the metagame would be more diverse and interesting to watch.

Those are two potential options. Again, I really did not mean to offend any MK or IC players. In fact, I respect you. I just think the change would be healthy for Brawl. Now, everybody, what are YOUR opinions? What can we do as a community to save Brawl's life?
If I may, I'm going to add my unpopular opinion here,
Occasionally, I prefer to watch Brawl more than Melee.
I know it sounds crazy, but just like OP brawl was my first smash.
I would prefer however, rather than seeing Brawl just DIE I would prefer if Smash 4 could replace Brawl.
As many say, it is Brawl 2.0, however with the reported revamped physics, it is starting to become its own game.
I think it would be better as a cover-up game rather than just ditching the Brawl scene entirely. If that makes any sense.

Jackson

Smash Lord
If I may, I'm going to add my unpopular opinion here,
Occasionally, I prefer to watch Brawl more than Melee.
I know it sounds crazy, but just like OP brawl was my first smash.
I would prefer however, rather than seeing Brawl just DIE I would prefer if Smash 4 could replace Brawl.
As many say, it is Brawl 2.0, however with the reported revamped physics, it is starting to become its own game.
I think it would be better as a cover-up game rather than just ditching the Brawl scene entirely. If that makes any sense.
Sounds good to me. And after playing the other games (Melee and PM), I've come to accept that Brawl has had its time. Smash 4 is ready.

Thor

Smash Champion
Brawl will end up like 64 at best.

People still play Brawl, despite it's differences from Melee for four reasons (Not all apply to everyone)

• More characters
  • Better graphics
  • Online play
  • Some people prefer a slower, less technical style than Melee.

However, Project M solves problems 1 and 2, while offering Melee mechanics, and Smash 4 solves every problem, and Brawl players won't mind the slight speed increase. It'll have more characters, even better graphics, and better online play.

People still played Melee after Brawl because of what it lacked competitively to Melee players. It stood the test of time. Brawl on the other hand, has nothing competitively to keep it anchored in the competitive scene once Smash 4 comes out like Melee did.

Competitive players will stick with Melee and Project M, and even give Smash 4 a shot while casual players will be playing Smash 4, ignoring brawl completely for the "new thing" Brawl doesn't even have online mode to the general public without using alternate servers, which only people deeply invested in the community will know about.

Long story short, Melee/PM, and Smash 4 each have their own things to keep them afloat. Brawl has none.

• Smash 4 will have more characters, and Project M has the same amount, with Melee gameplay. No reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 will have better graphics. Again, no reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 will have superior online play (For those who care about it) while Brawl has none, save for taking the time to set up the alternate server stuff, which only the people who follow the community know about. I repeat, no reason to play Brawl.
  • Smash 4 still retains the slow approach that Brawl players legitimately enjoyed, albeit slightly faster. I conclude: No reason to play Brawl.
We might get a few people here and there that play it casually at home with their friends, should they not have a Wii U/3DS, and the game may still be played as friendlies to pass the time, but from both a competitive, and casual standpoint, I can literally see no reason to play Brawl.
Brawl has Snake with homing missiles. You left that out. It also has Smashville, Temple, Big Blue, AND Mario Bros (With the shells that practically OHKO) all in one. Also has Pokémon Trainer as one character.

Only game to play, obviously.

More seriously, I enjoy Brawl for what it brings overall, more than just individual characteristics. I'll still play it, along with other smash games - I may not play it as much when Smash 4 comes out [handhelds are awesome in general], but I almost certainly won't drop it entirely. [Similarly, I play a little less Melee since PM came out, because I have to work with the preferences of others and more games = less time per game - I also expect the amount of the other smash games I play to drop a fair bit once Smash 4 comes out and overall have dropped a bit once Smash 4 hype is not over 9000].

But I see a reason to play Brawl competitively still - I enjoy it, it's fun, and it offers a competition [I could go into technical details and definitions to back this up, but I don't think this is the thread where I need to do that]. All the Smash games do that for me, which is why I play them all [Smash is fun].

If some character takes a huge dive [i.e., if all of a sudden Olimar is bottom tier garbage and Falco is horrific and Fox is terrible and Pikachu is unusable or something], there may also be players who stick to Brawl because their character is not garbage tier [just as some players now play PM only instead of Melee - I know at least a few people who will only play (or strictly prefer) PM because Ness and Zelda are much better].

Just a few things I thought of when reading your post.

Pidge had this mass of intelligent advice:

JMF | pidgezero_one said:
Here are a collection of random thoughts from my experience in the smash community on what you (yes, you) can do, and what you shouldn't be doing

-Don't trash talk the game. This one is obvious. Doesn't matter if you're joking, outsiders overhearing you don't know you're joking.

-Actually go to tournaments! People just john nonstop instead of making the effort. Come on guys, we can all be trying a little harder. Hobbies cost time and money. Don't have money? If you're a student, there's still plenty you can do.

-Host wifi tournaments. Read my guide on how to use wifi, it literally takes 5 minutes to set up if you have a SD card. Reach out to people who actually can't go to tournaments, you never know who might show up in your region one day.

-HOLY ****, REACH OUT TO SCHOOLS. AS IN, LIKE, TODAY. See what MDZ did for Melee? There's no reason we can't get more smash games popular in schools. Start a club. If your club doesn't get approved, join a similar one. If there are no similar ones, bring a wii to your program's common room. Actually, you know what? Do that anyway. /u/itsTOjoe is top of this ****, holler at him for advice.

-Is there another school in your city? See if they have an anime, gaming, or other nerdy activity club. Contact them about possible interest in running Smash Bros. Clubs are very receptive with this stuff.

-Posters and flyers in city centres. Chances are your downtown core has bulletin boards and telephone poles free for public use. Advertise those tournaments.

-Don't know where to host a tournament? Ask around at game stores. Community centres. Libraries. Schools and colleges, especially ones you attend. Sports bars. Party centres. Hit up every one of them until you get one for a good price that you think you can break even on with all those entrants your advertising efforts are recruiting. What's the worst that'll happen? They'll say no, and you try another one. Host at someone's house if you have to.

-Got a convention coming up? Contact gaming staff ahead of time. Offer to help with Smash, suggest they run it if they aren't already. Conventions have a ****load of people who have never heard of competitive Brawl, get on that ****! If you can't run it, go anyway and hit up as many people as you can and talk about your scene. Make some promotional materials (like I made my region's cards, flyers work too, link to an event page or facebook group or website) and hand them out. And for the love of god don't go around 3 stocking (or 1-stocking, if you prefer that ruleset) everyone with chaingrabs and shuttle loops. Yes, these things are part of the game, but this is about first impressions. Brawl has some lame ****, sure, but it's more tolerable once you're ALREADY liking the competitive scene, not being **** on with a "guess what, there's more where that came from, come on out!" tagline.

-"Theres a game store hosting a tournament, but... but... it's a FFA with items! What do I do?!" Go anyway and don't be a ****. This is a potential new tournament venue that you should be making a professional presence at. Recruit people like you would at a convention, have fun and don't be a snob, and don't leave without discussing future tournaments with the organizers!

-INVITE YOUR FRIENDS TO TOURNAMENTS IF THEY LIKE VIDEO GAMES! Seriously just do it! Make a Facebook event and invite them!

-Get on Craigslist, get on Kijiji, get on your city's subreddit's classifieds if it has one, get on any local event listing (i.e. BlogTO.com for Toronto). Free classifieds never hurt anyone.

-Run some out-of-the-ordinary events! Run an Arcadian, run pro-am doubles! Run a FFA side event! These events are the ****!

-Ask to be made an admin on your region's local Facebook group. Make sure every single event has a Facebook event, and make sure EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THAT GROUP GETS AN INVITE! Does your region only have a Melee group? Ask if anyone would be interested in a Brawl side event, to start with. See if anyone else in that group who is sympathetic to Brawl will help you fan the flames before posting. Some regions are cooler than others about this, YMMV.

-Try playing other Smash games. Hit up a melee smashfest and make friends. You never know who there is a closet Brawl fan that you can bond with.

-Start streaming. Make highlight videos of recent tournaments. Post your hype Brawl vids to Reddit or wherever. Content is the only thing that can change the minds of those who've already decided the game sucks without ever playing or watching it.

-Help your community be more accessible. I have a lot of design and advertising work to do, but I made http://ontario-smash.com as a gateway and community hub that focuses on every Smash game. Everyone loves news articles. This is just an example.

-See if your local venue, game store, community center, etc will post your posters or house your business cards. Anywhere that gets traffic.

-Melee/PM guys: for those of you extending the olive branch to us, please, please consider stepping up your moderation. Stomp down Brawl-hate threads in your fb groups. Make your commentators focus on the game at hand, and reprimand them for snide comments about other games. Make your voice heard, set an example, you have much more power than you think. If you have no administrative power, then at least help the brawl guy spread the word about his tourney, or help keep the rowdier haters at bay. Everyone likes to know they have support and aren't alone, even if you don't have any interest in the game itself. It's hard to be outnumbered.
I don't ever trash-talk the game, I go to all Brawl events I can make [I was a minor until like 5 months ago so when my parents said "No" I was just out of luck.. but no more!], I will look into trying to gather up a Wi-Fi tournament [hell Brawl- does them and that's a random hack, we can surely beat their 16-player bracket], my high school was doing that stuff but most other schools only had Melee/PM (we were the only ones with Brawl, and I graduated last year anyway), in Illinois apparently most of the players are only Melee/PM but there is a competitive Smash club so I'll be looking to actively recruit people to join the Brawl side of things and work on getting more tournaments, I go to any Brawl events I can and bring along people who like Smash at all, will remember out-of-the-ordinary events [there's an items-legal tournament-style thread on here somewhere...], I go to other smashfests too and found a few people who play Brawl in MN [none here in Illinois at college so far...], will look to get recording equipment [also FOW does stream Brawl on Mondays so people go support his stream and join in and spread the word about it - he does other stuff other days but I think he won't be axing Brawl from it, for sure not until Smash 4 and even then I think that will just take up a day where he'd otherwise do MK8], will look at local stores if I can drum up support.

Well I just had a few valid things and a metric ton of johns. Gotta step my game up I guess. Will be looking harder for people to play Brawl/join the club for starters.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Brawl still has Subspace Emissary if anyone ever felt like playing that again, a mode completely unique to Brawl alone.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
As a huge Brawl fan I can honestly say that the game will probably become Smash 64 in terms of population. Maybe not right away, but in a couple years Brawl will be reduced to side tournament status with few people entering, much like Smash 64 tournaments. Its a shame, because I absolutely adore Brawl, but I suppose it had to happen eventually.

I think what I'll miss the most is Pikachu, his Quick Attack Cancel made him so damn fun, and no version of Pikachu has ever felt half as enjoyable as him, in my opinion

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
QAC is back for 3ds and wii u

Auramaniji

Roasted!
NNID
N/A
It's only fair to say it will be competitive, but not on a scale of Melee and Smash4.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I don't think it'll die out, like everyone else seems to think, it'll be like Smash 64, just a side game. Melee and PM will always be the main competitive games, people seem to think 4 will be as well.
Sometimes though people do need to remember there is a scene for 64/Brawl.

All Smash games are created beautifully! And they're all fun, casual or competitive.

RosalinaSama

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ROSA#211
NNID
Fracktail
3DS FC
2492-4324-7138
Switch FC
SW-1139-8011-8725
Yeah, I get what your saying. I just feel like people claiming character's should be banned in SSB4 at the point we're at now is ridiculous... and I have seen people who do indeed already want to see characters banned instead f waiting to see how truly balanced out the game is. I have faith that they did a good job in balancing, but we shall see. And about banning MK and IC in Brawl, I can understand MK... but IC? Their not that good so to be ban materiel I don't think, when I first saw the topic creators opinion of that I was just like, "... What?!"
Funnily enough I've seen people discussing a Game and Watch ban from Smash 4 doubles since he can k.o at 0% but I dont know how popular the idea is

WT!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
WT_Smash
3DS FC
4597-0015-7814
Switch FC
SW-3650-7945-8401
#StillBrawlAtTheEndOfTheDay

popsofctown

Smash Champion
If better ruleset choices were made with brawl early on, it might be enough of a game to be worth saving. Not the case though. No one's going to relearn a new ruleset for smash that doesn't result in MK vs. X grand finals when they could learn Smash 4 for the first time instead.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Yeah... truth is, Smash 4 is the refined Brawl. I've come to terms with the fact that Brawl had it's time and it needs to give its place to Smash 4.

Hana Na Tahou

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, a game only dies if it's community lets it. Brawl's had a community, and if they ban together to play the game they cherish, the save becomes irrelevant.

Kati

Smash Lord
what advantages does brawl have over sm4sh? why are people reluctant to move in the first place?

Thor

Smash Champion
what advantages does brawl have over sm4sh? why are people reluctant to move in the first place?
Variety of factors... no changes to DI/SDI, certain characters exist (try telling those Snake mains to just "Switch over" and see how they react... same for Wolf, Lucas, etc., though the latter are less common), certain characters have tricks that don't exist in Smash 4 (QAC), ... I of course can't list them all, but there are reasons to prefer Brawl over Smash 4 (or Melee, or 64).

That said, I have a 3DS and having been playing Smash 4 already, but I like them and really wish I could play in Brawl events somewhere, but there's just so little interest where I'm located...and vocal detractors of the idea doesn't help either :urg:

Last edited:

link2702

Smash Champion
there is no saving brawl at this point.

Had the community not been stubborn about MK adn just banned him a long time ago, we could once more bring back perfectly fine stages that only HE truly dominated hard on, stages that actually kept some other high/top tiers in check like IC.

the community killed itself by its bullheadedness. by 2012 there really was no saving it anyhow regardless of whethre they finally kept the masked bat banned, as by that point in time it was already too late. He should of been banned for good around 2010.

Daytrip

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1289-9366-3729
But in all actuality, the reason I'll continue to play brawl is specifically for Lucas. RIP :'(

D

Deleted member

I dont understand why this is so complicated. To save brawl, go to events, and support the game. If you don't like the game, then that's your choice. Don't hate on it. If you truly like the game like I do then you'll keep playing instead of pointing fingers at whatever. I dont care if you blame the MK ban, other games, MLG dropping Brawl, whatever.

I love Smash 4 and don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't give me the same kind of fun/feeling Brawl does when I play it. Brawls just a one of a kind for me that I can't replace with any other game. That won't stop me from playing Smash 4, but I'm not simply playing Smash 4 over Brawl. I don't understand why people can't play both or why both can't have a scene. Why is it ________ over/better than ______ or ________ is what ________ should've been? Accept each game in it's own right and stop comparing them to each other because each has a certain depth to it that the others don't.

Thats enough of my rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Brawl will go down in history as that game that is still being played in Norway, Socal and Toronto (And North Carolina?)

Like the game? Play it. Attend/host get-togethers.
Ezpz (it's not ezpz all the time :()

Also, Brawl is so mechanically different from Smash 4 that it baffles me that somebody has to ask what kind of "advantages" Brawl has over Smash 4 to justify still playing it. There are so many fundamental differences in game mechanics that it pains me to see people call it "Brawl 2.0"

Last edited:

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Also, Brawl is so mechanically different from Smash 4 that it baffles me that somebody has to ask what kind of "advantages" Brawl has over Smash 4 to justify still playing it. There are so many fundamental differences in game mechanics that it pains me to see people call it "Brawl 2.0"
It's not about specific mechanics, it's about the feel of the game, and Smash 4 just feels like a better Brawl.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Well I think Brawl feels different, and earlier in this thread you have people saying it feels better.

So what is it, then? 3 different opinions about the feel of the game. That's why I don't bother using subjective measurements; people will always have different opinions.
Different game mechanics, on the other hand, is undisputable

InfiniteTripping

Smash Journeyman
My sense is the reason people even played Brawl competitively was not because it had the mechanics that encouraged that type of play deep down, but merely because A) it was the newest and most shiny game in the series, and B) it had more characters. With Project M A was partially disqualified and B fully... now with 4, both reasons for it to exist competitively are now invalid, and if 6 years could not find another purpose for the game, I doubt we will now. 4 offers everything Brawl did and more, so unfortunately Brawl becomes superfluous. This is the danger of focusing too much on single player modes as the defining feature of your party fighter game.

TunaAndBacon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TunaAndBacon
I tend to think that Brawl will only grow more popular as kids who grew up playing Brawl enter the competitive scene.
I wouldn't say that, the reason Melee is played competitively is because it just has the most room for fundamental skill, not because of nostalgia. I could see the kids who grew up with Brawl playing Sm4sh or PM as a game for competitive play assuming they are interested in the scene, because by the time their grown up and old enough to play the game at a much higher level, Brawl might already be just a side tournament.

Top Bottom