• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
and it was pretty obvious from the beginning guys that SBR was nothing more than a dictatorship here on the boards...if you don't liek their rules it was basically **** you and GTFO and if anyone every spoke out against them you got banned...
That isn't how it works at all. LeeHarris essentially didn't get his way, so he decided to go into the public and tell everyone about how people like Vidjo (who was not among the 6 people he felt deserved to have a vote on the MK ban out of the 35 that voted against it) shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion. He was removed for violating the rules, not for disagreeing. That said, he shouldn't have been in the SBR in the first place-pretty much everyone posting in this thread would be better suited then him.

LeeHarris wasn't for MORE people voting/democracy, he was for even less, he only wanted Azen/Chillin/himself/a few select others to vote. To him, everyone in this thread doesn't deserve an opinion, you saw it yourself afterall when he said 80% of the SBR (completely inaccurate) don't attend tournaments and therefor shouldn't be allowed to vote/have a valid opinion. His statement is basically a result of having never left the state of Texas, so he simply didn't even know anyone outside his own region (which is how a player like Vidjo would get looked over).

Either way, everything the SBR says (maybe with exception to the tier list) is a recomendation, not law.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Look, why would lee harris make that "6 out of 35" sentence up? What are the true numbers? And if its anywhere close to what he said...why are they making rules/recommendations. **** i could do better and make things more fair than half of those people.

kown

Smash Lord
haha i like how SBR members are still coming into this thread to defend themselves....you guys are obviously trying to cover up something.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Look, why would lee harris make that "6 out of 35" sentence up? What are the true numbers? And if its anywhere close to what he said...why are they making rules/recommendations. **** i could do better and make things more fair than half of those people.
He didn't know he was making it up, he just doesn't know much about smashers outside of texas apparently. He thought top players in new england and the midwest don't even attend tournaments just because he doesn't recognize them.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
He didn't know he was making it up, he just doesn't know much about smashers outside of texas apparently. He thought top players in new england and the midwest don't even attend tournaments just because he doesn't recognize them.
I think lee harris is a good person(from what ive seen offline) so why woul dhe just make all of this stuff up. Of all the people who are in the back room do all of them REGULARLY attend smash events?

I honestly dont think lee would 100% make all of this up.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
For the record:

As someone who stuck his neck out for Lee a lot (I voted for him to stay in the backroom because I thought he was becoming a good contributor to the Texas Brawl scene despite his random personal attacks on people, I put him on the Texas Brawl PR panel, I even voted the same way as him in the MK ban poll...) I am incredibly disappointed with his recent actions.

He lost a debate and completely flipped out.

Instead of accepting the decision of his peers, or at the very least trying to make his case elsewhere (like Overswarm likes to do), he acted like a ****ing child, and was treated as thus.

And for the record I just went back and counted. Looking at the MK ban poll I see 3 people that voted to ban MK that possibly shouldn't be voting on the issue due to their lack of brawl experience. I can also see 2 people that possibly shouldn't be voting on the issue due to their lack of brawl experience that voted to ban him (note: one of them is me). So take away those votes and the total becomes.... 32 to 13. No ban still wins by a more than comfortable margin. And even then, those other 4 people that I mentioned could be very qualified to vote on the issue and I personally am just not aware of what they have been doing. Lee's comments listing numbers and percentages of unqualified voterss are speaking out of his ignorance of the community outside of Texas.

Whether or not you like Lee is pointless. I never met the guy so I can't judge him personally, but what he did was inexcusable. Anyone who did what he did would be banned just the same.

I hope this sheds a little more light on this issue.

Also please note that just because the SBR doesn't think MK should be banned that you can't hold MK banned tournaments. If you are hosting a tournament you can make the rules whatever you want. Your tournament won't be black-listed from smashboards or anything... I mean look at wobbling, the SBR was against banning wobbling as well but there were still several large, successful melee tournaments that had wobbling banned.

So if you don't like the SBR rules or decisions, have a little backbone and make your own rules. Your tournament's success isn't defined by what rules are used, but by how many people entered, competed, and left enjoying the experience enough to want to attend another event you host.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I really hate when the SBR says: "You can still host MK banned tourneys." Honestly thats just stupid for many reasons but I'm not going to argue. Happy Thanksgiving. :)

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
And for the record I just went back and counted. Looking at the MK ban poll I see 3 people that voted to ban MK that possibly shouldn't be voting on the issue due to their lack of brawl experience. I can also see 2 people that possibly shouldn't be voting on the issue due to their lack of brawl experience that voted to ban him (note: one of them is me). So take away those votes and the total becomes.... 32 to 13. No ban still wins by a more than comfortable margin. And even then, those other 4 people that I mentioned could be very qualified to vote on the issue and I personally am just not aware of what they have been doing. Lee's comments listing numbers and percentages of unqualified voterss are speaking out of his ignorance of the community outside of Texas.
What annoys me about this vote is the fact that there is a poll open to the community in which that anti-ban is losing (58% to 42%). and some of the people i've noticed arguing against the ban are SBR members. I don't have access to the SBR and I don't know a majority of people in there, but in any case it's just surprising to see such a shift in the majority of votes, so it would seem to me that most of the SBR probably plays metaknight.

But then again i don't know because I'm not back there, but if you could release the statistics of how many people in the SBR use meta then i think that would shed even more light onto the matter. thanks.

Also please note that just because the SBR doesn't think MK should be banned that you can't hold MK banned tournaments. If you are hosting a tournament you can make the rules whatever you want. Your tournament won't be black-listed from smashboards or anything... I mean look at wobbling, the SBR was against banning wobbling as well but there were still several large, successful melee tournaments that had wobbling banned.
Yes but the thing is that most people treat the SBR like the word of god and follow all the rules you guys say. Xyro is an exception and i'm sure that there's others, but at the same time if you say that meta isn't banned the majority of people will host non-banned tournaments. This puts Xyro in a tough spot because if he begins to host banned meta tournaments he's going to hurt the Houston community especially players like me and sethlon who go to out of state tournaments.

That isn't how it works at all. LeeHarris essentially didn't get his way, so he decided to go into the public and tell everyone about how people like Vidjo (who was not among the 6 people he felt deserved to have a vote on the MK ban out of the 35 that voted against it) shouldn't be allowed to voice an opinion. He was removed for violating the rules, not for disagreeing. That said, he shouldn't have been in the SBR in the first place-pretty much everyone posting in this thread would be better suited then him.
I lol'd at this.

That was a pretty smart move, It's called a bully pulpit tactic. Theodore Roosevelt used it when congress refused to pass something, so he would go to the American public (the people it's affecting) tell them whats going on and see how they liked it. It's actually really smart because based on the publics reaction then congress would pretty much be forced to listen to the public.

Unfortunately what Lee didn't realize is that the SBR isn't a democracy and it seems they could care less about what the community thinks (ex. the poll, but honestly a lot of people probably voted without knowing what they voted for), and the SBR seems to regard the community as some kind of caste system as evidenced in this post.
His general asshat-ery together with his disregard for the rules of the SBR and complete lack of respect for his SUPERIORS in the smash community are not outweighed by his ability to say "PROVE ME WRONG".
i wanna join your secret club now :'(

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I really hate when the SBR says: "You can still host MK banned tourneys." Honestly thats just stupid for many reasons but I'm not going to argue. Happy Thanksgiving. :)
Well then, DEAL WITH IT!!

seriously, if you don't quite agree with the SBR's set rules, then why not just make your own up like Drew mentioned, if you don't agree, don't complain because this won't change any SBR thought on MK.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
koopa go to tournaments! i wanna play a bowser, also as for the issue of making up rules look at my post above

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
LOL @ thinking a lot of the SBR plays MK XD.

There is like M2K...and that's it XD. Unless you count overswarm. The people arguing in the public thread (Umbreon and AlphaZelot) play Ike and Diddy.

heytallman

CTALL
I am going to host a tournament with MK and C Falcon banned (to even out the ban spectrum), and the only legal stages being Temple, New Pork City, WarioWare, and FD, and have items set to Pokeball on high. 2 stock 6 minutes, best of 1/2 (you end the match when the timer hits 3:00 so we can save all the replays. Whoever is ahead then is the winner). Who would be interested? Doesn't this sound like an awesome tournament? I think a Jigglypuff would win.

Don't give me an infraction please, Drew. Even though this is obviously spam.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
Hylian, i wish you would read the whole thing, i even said idk who all is in the SBR. It's just weird to me how much the vote seemed to shift, thats why i asked for statistics of who in the SBR plays meta

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Well then, DEAL WITH IT!!

seriously, if you don't quite agree with the SBR's set rules, then why not just make your own up like Drew mentioned, if you don't agree, don't complain because this won't change any SBR thought on MK.
I never said my opinion would change their minds. And making up your rules such as banning MK will not have you prepped for OOS people who use mks in tourneys.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Yes but the thing is that most people treat the SBR like the word of god and follow all the rules you guys say. Xyro is an exception and i'm sure that there's others, but at the same time if you say that meta isn't banned the majority of people will host non-banned tournaments. This puts Xyro in a tough spot because if he begins to host banned meta tournaments he's going to hurt the Houston community especially players like me and sethlon who go to out of state tournaments.
Yes I do agree, but this doesn't mean Xyro has to feel bad, if he wants to follow every SBR rule then that's his choice, but like I mentioned, no one is forcing him to do so, So if Drew said that it's accepatable, then it's acceptable

koopa go to tournaments! i wanna play a bowser, also as for the issue of making up rules look at my post above
yes, yes I will, I plan to at least go to this HOBO before I go out of state for the holidays. :)

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
I sort of agree with Furbs here, because what I see with Lee Harris being banned sort of reminds me of the Mcarthy Era in which one person speaks out and all of a sudden he's a commmy. Guess what, Lee Harris shows the public what's going on and he's a commy. BAN HIM!

I'm probably gonna get an infraction because there's no such thing as free speech anymore.

EDIT: Omega I wanna play your Koopa too!

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hylian, i wish you would read the whole thing, i even said idk who all is in the SBR. It's just weird to me how much the vote seemed to shift, thats why i asked for statistics of who in the SBR plays meta
I don't see why it matters, even though I just told you. The SBR doesn't hold bias towards their characters. Otherwise MK probably would of been voted to be banned lol.

Edit: Jimbo obviously doesn't understand what free speech is XD.

Furbs

Smash Journeyman
I think it does matter,
and whats the harm?

also everyone has a bias towards their character, look at you when the IC chaingrab was banned in Houston.

and what did you do? you went to the Ice climber boards and told them about what a mean guy xyro is. Actually i think it's kind of funny considering that is (as far as you told me) WHY you got into the sbr (does this sound familiar?)

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
Hey I know I shouldn't be butting in on business that's not my concern, but the past 6 or so pages I just saw an SBR member get kicked out for arguing upon the outcome of a poll. Yes, like Drew stated, he was acting like a child and treated thus, but does that really merit a ban? Besides, what's with all the SBR members all of a sudden defending their case? I'm not saying anything, but it seriously seems suspicious...

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I think it does matter,
and whats the harm?

also everyone has a bias towards their character, look at you when the IC chaingrab was banned in Houston.

and what did you do? you went to the Ice climber boards and told them about what a mean guy xyro is. Actually i think it's kind of funny considering that is (as far as you told me) WHY you got into the sbr (does this sound familiar?)
I don't even really play IC's anymore. I didn't think wobbling was broken in melee and I argued against it and I didn't touch IC's in melee. Me playing IC's doesn't have anything to do with my views on them because I understand how to think without a bias. Also, I was already being considered for the SBR before the IC argument, that just showed them how much I knew about the game which helped.

Also, I never called TGM mean LOL. I made a topic called: "Should IC's CG's be banned from tournament play" And then said a TO in texas just did.

The harm is exactly what is happening right now. People don't have to listen to the SBR. We just give our input. It's not our decision how the community interprits it. Many TO's choose to listen to us, and many do not. What goes on back there is not Law and we don't make it out to be. Others do. We just give our stance and input on things.

Edit: Jimbo, it has been said several times the Lee Harris broke the rules, so he got kicked out. It had nothing to do with him disagreeing. It had to do with him personally attacking several members and publicly displaying our information while adding a huge bias to it. He had already been warned months ago. The SBR debates things constantly, if we kicked out people who disagreed then there wouldn't be anyone left back there.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
I don't see why it matters, even though I just told you. The SBR doesn't hold bias towards their characters. Otherwise MK probably would of been voted to be banned lol.

Edit: Jimbo obviously doesn't understand what free speech is XD.
yes because free speech is limited here and in the government...the SBR opposes democracy
and shafted Lee for a reason that put them in a bad situation (pointed out by furbs) they didn't consider the votes of the community as a whole...i doubt the people in SBR speak for everyone.

From what i can tell the people in SBR sound like a bunch of whiny ******* whole have gone ******* mad with power...just like a DICTATORSHIP

Axxo

Smash Apprentice
wow........it gets annoying when ppl try to be smart on the threads.......who cares about anything yall have to say.............yall write too much...........

*No Responses*

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
yes because free speech is limited here and in the government...the SBR opposes democracy
and shafted Lee for a reason that put them in a bad situation (pointed out by furbs) they didn't consider the votes of the community as a whole...i doubt the people in SBR speak for everyone.

From what i can tell the people in SBR sound like a bunch of whiny ******* whole have gone ******* mad with power...just like a DICTATORSHIP
Except that this post makes you look like an idiot because the SBR doesn't have ANY power. It's all up to the TO's.

You also don't know the first thing about anyone in the SBR so I don't really see how you could claim that.

JIMBOOOO

Smash Cadet
Yes, Hylian, you're right. But also consider the fact that others take the SBR's decisions as official. And when it comes to huge tournaments such as MLG, they're gonna look at SBR's rules, and abide by it as if it's the law. Others treat those who don't abide by those rules as hethens and such, which is why other people are afraid to host tournaments with their own rules. It's not the SBR that does it, it's the people that are influenced by the SBR's decisions.

Except that this post makes you look like an idiot because the SBR doesn't have ANY power. It's all up to the TO's.

You also don't know the first thing about anyone in the SBR so I don't really see how you could claim that.
Why are you so quick to assume people don't know anything about anything? and please, explain to me how it makes him look like an idiot, because from what I see, the SBR has LOADS of power.

Santi

Smash Lord
Wow....
Just wow....
This is getting out of hand.

How about we all just listen to me. And I'll make the rules =)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yes, Hylian, you're right. But also consider the fact that others take the SBR's decisions as official. And when it comes to huge tournaments such as MLG, they're gonna look at SBR's rules, and abide by it as if it's the law. Others treat those who don't abide by those rules as hethens and such, which is why other people are afraid to host tournaments with their own rules. It's not the SBR that does it, it's the people that are influenced by the SBR's decisions.

Why are you so quick to assume people don't know anything about anything? and please, explain to me how it makes him look like an idiot.
How do you know that? Go look at MLG's ruleset for Melee and the SBR's. Are they they same? No.

The people who run MLG arn't idiots and know what they are doing. If they don't like something they will ask us to change it. Reguardless though, there is a reason people who are in the SBR get in there. It's not full of idiots.

Edit: Because the SBR doesn't force anyone to do anything. They just provide suggestions. Reguardless of who actually listens to them they still do not have any power in forcing people to do anything. He compared the SBR to a dictatorship. A dictator ship actually has power and controls everything that goes on for the most part. The SBR just offers suggestions and many people don't follow them. We don't blacklist those tournaments, we don't insult the people who disagree with us. We don't hold any authority.

onii-chan

Smash Ace

*sigh* here you are bashing again...you know nothing of me and speak to me like you do...you run your mouth off to everyone around you...you spew putrid garbage just because you feel it is your job...what i laugh at most is how you get swarmed by words and still try to valid your claims...i have no need to do any of that...i am far beyond insulting you to no end, it would in no way make me look better

Mr.C

Smash Master
I've been drinking green tea all god **** day!

EDIT: onii-chan you sound like a seven year old school girl, calm ur **** homeskillet.

heytallman

CTALL
from what I see, the SBR has LOADS of power.
Really? 'Cause from all the descriptions I have been hearing, and from thinking about it, they really don't. It's just an exclusive little club where knowledgeable people make decisions they believe are best. As it was stated earlier, it is finally up to the TO's to make their own rules. Now, whether or not the TO's take the SBR's ruleset as the Holy Bible is up to them, people can do as they wish. It's not like the SBR can come in and tell you what to do, they just recommend what they think would be the best course of action, and finally leave everything up to the players themselves.

Maybe people will start to STFU if they hear the same thing the SBR has been saying said by someone who isn't in.

onii-chan

Smash Ace
Why are you so quick to assume people don't know anything about anything? and please, explain to me how it makes him look like an idiot, because from what I see, the SBR has LOADS of power.
because no one can put up a better agruement than HYLIAN...thats why i want him to father my children even though i am also a man (sarcasm is sarcasm)

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
*sigh* here you are bashing again...you know nothing of me and speak to me like you do...you run your mouth off to everyone around you...you spew putrid garbage just because you feel it is your job...what i laugh at most is how you get swarmed by words and still try to valid your claims...i have no need to do any of that...i am far beyond insulting you to no end, it would in no way make me look better
Huh? I said your post made you look like an idiot, not that you are one. You know..implying that it was a really bad post. My apoligies if you were offended though. I was rather harsh.
Really? 'Cause from all the descriptions I have been hearing, and from thinking about it, they really don't. It's just an exclusive little club where knowledgeable people make decisions they believe are best. As it was stated earlier, it is finally up to the TO's to make their own rules. Now, whether or not the TO's take the SBR's ruleset as the Holy Bible is up to them, people can do as they wish. It's not like the SBR can come in and tell you what to do, they just recommend what they think would be the best course of action, and finally leave everything up to the players themselves.
Thank you.

jog

Smash Journeyman

Maybe people will start to STFU if they hear the same thing the SBR has been saying said by someone who isn't in.
this

10this

Daimonster

Smash Journeyman
/<3's hylian

/looks past the spam

So...houston. How's the recent tournament look player # wise and fees? Singles and doubles? Starting time etc? It's coming up pretty soon, we'd like to know what's going on.

Also, can college station house us?

*cough*edit the OP *cough*

Mr.C

Smash Master

If the community decides on a "standard ruleset" and by community I mean SBR, It's pretty hard to sway peoples opinions on how the game should be played competitively, EVEN if the SBR ruleset is garbage people will still acknowledge them as the tournament standards.

heytallman

CTALL
If the community decides on a "standard ruleset" and by community I mean SBR, It's pretty hard to sway peoples opinions on how the game should be played competitively, EVEN if the SBR ruleset is garbage people will still acknowledge them as the tournament standards.
Tell that to people in NJ and the rest of the Atlantic North. I dare you.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
While this is true it's still up to the tournament hosts. Look at how many tournaments actually use the exact SBR ruleset..not many. Most TO's are not afraid of doing things thier way as long as thier community supports them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom