• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Name them pls. I want to learrrrrnnnn everything. I will not let this once great state fall. Tyler will reign.

Also I'm young but I'm def not younger than melee looool

I'm like within a months age of smoom btw.

:phone:

Gnes

Smash Master
Summary of Sat. event from my perspective.

Called P4, said I should go to tourney. Kept playing P4u online/watching marvel videos. Goes to get lunch with friend, Maharbra calls me and tells me to come. Says I should call more people to come because it's a small amount of people there. Tells me Trela and Razer want me to come and be tryhards with them. Whatever, not doing anything better at the moment. I thought that I'd go check it out and maybe enter either dubs or singles. Bad choice. I get there around 1 I think, and its like 10 people there(6/7 of those people live with Sync). Me/Trela talk about entering but after like 2/3 hours pass and we play a few friendlies, we're like f that and go eat with RT. I get a call from sync telling me were finally starting(I knew this would happen, but were only 5mins away anyways) and asks am I teaming with Jnig because he needs a partner and I'm like sure considering I already told Jnig I would do it if he needed a partner. I dont know why someone didn't team with this guy or dropped him considering he drove 5 hours to a 12 man tourney but whatever. We end up starting around 4pm. I don't think any tourney has ever started that late LOL.

Bad parts imo were no hype, no new gen players like Tot/BC/Djphatz and others showed up which is weird because of all the imsomnia tourneys Austin/Asa/whoever had been attending to "recruit" new players. Tourney was ran pretty bad, no way should a 12man tourney last that long. Shiz p4u tourney at imsomnia took like 3/4 hours with a food break and nearly 30 entrants. Like I know there's a big gap in the time matches take for each game, but everyone should be concentrating on getting the tourney done as fast as possible. Not just Austin. One of the bad qualities of brawl tournies is that they last forever. Also the team sub was pretty sketch. I don't personally care about it since me and Jnig were good to go but shiz I don't think I've ever seen another TO do that.

Also I don't why you guys(Razer) are just NOW talking about brawl being boring. Its been like that for a while now. It's just now the time your putting in(watching/playing) doesn't seem to be worth it. All in All the tourney itself was booty but hanging out with everyone was pretty fun. Especially Mr. Sims, I'm glad you came to hang considering how things have been going for you and how you've been feeling.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
My first tourney:

Started Dubs at 11:30, finished singles at 4, finished Wasaeda at 6.

Edit: however I had incorrect payouts, was bad at ordering pizza, and didn't have anyone commentate.
Second tourney was great tho!

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
You mean Jnig?

He said he's more than happy about it all.
"Got to team with Gnes, beat Pwii, play Top players, and make $70! Even with low attendance it was worth the trip"
Or something along those lines

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lmao the scene slowly deteriorated over the past 2 years.

Alot of us tried our part to help keep it going but the game itself just became stagnant after a while and in Texas especially as it's taken these two years and a lot of time off of Razer/Gnes not practicing etc for people to even compete with them.

There are a ton of reasons our scene is the way it is and it's fine. Those of you who care about smash and this scene will see it revive when smash 4 hits.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Name them pls. I want to learrrrrnnnn everything. I will not let this once great state fall. Tyler will reign.

Also I'm young but I'm def not younger than melee looool

I'm like within a months age of smoom btw.

No joke, im not gonna list 30 reasons why our state/city died but ill cover a few big ones because this **** is REAL.

*listen to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVEvg4jtGlk to help the truth not hurt as much*

1. Brawl just sucks from A to Z. From tripping to grab armor to transcending priority to ******** *** hit boxes to bananas (an ITEM that TRIPS) to infinite/semi infintie grabs to jab/tilt locks.....ect. Oh and did i mention that this game is a defensive campy camp fest? The list can go on but there is no need to continue, the game just overall is a pile of steaming Chewbacca ****. Because of this fact, CoD, marvel, LoL, WoW, melee and other games (lmao almost any game is better than brawl imo) have taken our players.

2. Metaknight. It been a mathematical FACT since year 1 that he has taken over this game. Whether its money won or tournaments won or simply spots held, he takes the cake by a HUGE margin in both singles and teams. Hes the only character that cannot be counter picked and the only character that can be used as a "pocket character" and still have a rather large success rate no matter the person using him. Thus proving there is literally no reason why anybody on this planet should pick any other character. We literally had to create certain RULES, special rulesets and even GROUPS of people (BBR:RC) to deal with this character. LOL that is lunacy.

3. The terrible 3 (or 4). Gnes/Razer/Trela and perhaps Dojo. Very Good players. Very Good people. But claiming the top 3 spots for 2+ years (maybe more?) straight is just ridiculous. Whether we (the people) allowed it to happen or not, it did damage to our scene. Its not their fault (dojo/trela/gnes/razer) at all but it did damage to the scene. Countless Tx players don't want to go to an event with these guys because they know ALREADY that they must settle for 4th place (assuming they are playing their best) or lower.

4. No Co-operation and lots of greed. I wont name them but do you know lots of Tx TOs make decent amounts of money off of running events? When making money off of running events becomes a goal, you damage your community. No longer will you co-operate with other TOs when it comes to times/dates or simply running an event WITH them because you want to make money. The other part of this coin is the fact that many TOs don't care what other TOs are doing, they will run events WHEN THEY WANT TO AND POO POO ON YOU IF YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE AN EVENT THAT DAY/WEEK. It happens in Dallas now and at one point in SA. People will literally hold 4 tournaments in one month. That not only means ALL events will get low turnout it also means people will get burnt out on smash. Its selfish and damaging to the scene.

5. Bad tournament experiences. For this part, i will use myself as an example because i have definitely hosted some **** tournaments in my time. HOBO 19 was held at funplex and had 71 people. It took me from 12noon to 6:30am THE NEXT DAY to finish that event......yea thats 18.5 hours for an event that had 15 set-ups. We had to finish the event in a HOTEL ROOM. Now lets look at QuakeCon 2010. Over 200 people were standing in line to sign up (i had to end it at 123 entrants) all for a shot at 500$. We had less than 11 set-ups, no microphone and there were about 300 other people in that room playing nerd computer games so yelling out names was in a pool of 500 people was impossible. The point is, its experiences like HOBO 19 and QuakeCon that cause newcomers and even older players to finally say "WTF am i doing here? this **** sucks. im done" Well i feel too many times people in this city/state have simply had too many bad experiences with tournaments and they decided its better to stay at home from now on. Ask anybody who went to Ascension 4 and they WILL agree.

6. Money and cars. No need to really go into crazy detail with this but it is a fact. Tons of people do not have reliable cars to drive to events. The ones that do must ask for gas money and that is a problem as well because tons of players have no jobs or have very limited funds. Gas money+food money+venue fee+tournament event fees= EASILY 50$ or more for 1 day of fun. For lots of people its just not a financially sound decision.

7. Texas is HUGE. From Houston, it takes 4-5 hours to get to Dallas. 3-4 hours to get to Louisiana. 3-4 to Austin. 3-4 to San Antonio. 4-5 to San Angelo. 12 to El Paso. How many times do you wanna drive those distances before you realize "holy poop scoops, this is not fun."

8. This **** is getting old. Ive done 38 HOBOs, 4 WHOBOs and helped run COUNTLESS other events in Houston like OzzFest/Sync Sex Saloon/P4's PeeHole/Smoom Boom's Room of Doom/MarBar's BarHar/Batman's Booty Bustin BirthDay Brawl Bash and events in other cities. The sad part is......that is just ME. How many other TOs out there in Texas run events (remember the Phase series and the Final Smash series)? How many events have they done? In your short time here in texas smash, how many fests+tournaments have you been to? The point is, i truly believe that Texas brawl has been played more in the past 4 years its been around than the entire 7 years melee was around. People are just smashed out.

9. Housing. How many times do people abuse free housing? When i say abuse i mean STEAL/BREAK or just TRASH OUT a house? The host is literally taking a chance with his LIFE and PROPERTY in order for you guys to have a free (or dirt cheap) place to stay and people STILL abuse it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRgzrURCDlo

Anyways, its all of this^ and more that has caused our scene to decay to the point it is at now. I honestly dont think it can recover to the point of the old days...even if it can recover at all. Though if the people want to STILL try and pump water out of this sinking ship (omfg did i just say brawl is a sinking ship? may god help us all...) then there needs to be a Bat signal aimed at the skies very soon.....

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
Here's a note in my phone I have saved:

How to make my tournies worth while:

1. Live stream garunteed!
2. National Replay Project
3. MVP
4. Really care for the entrants
5. Host what the people want played
6. Get the best venue possible
7. Advertise like crazy to strive for at least 25 entrants
8. Get results up THEDAYOF
9. Prompt for character usage as matches are reported.
10. Hype butt side events.
11. Team Names
These are things I have done/plan to do in my scene.

My venue fee money first goes to laying my venue. Leftover money, money from selling drinks, money out of my own pocket, and any money I may win in brawl goes to what I call "the Tyler Fund"

This money is used for: buying SD cards for the national replay project(did this last week)
Paying for printing fliers(Kinkos swag)
Unexpected fees
Waving if enough is saved up, a pot bonus.

Every bit of money recirculates into the scene.

Xyro, Denti.
Lets fix this scene.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Finished reading just when Jumping and Pumping finished.
Yeah... Quakecon 2010. After what happened there, I felt so ****ty wasting 12 hours of my time just to be eliminated by MK along with the fact the first two (or three) rounds of the bracket was single elim.

Xyro, Denti.
Lets fix this scene.

nah, best bet is to wait till Smash 4 and hope everything works out. We'll definitely get a huge influx of new players once the game is released. Hell who knows, maybe like some people not liking Brawl and sticking with Melee, they'll do the same for Smash 4 and crawl back to this terrible game. (though I highly doubt it)

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Also I don't why you guys(Razer) are just NOW talking about brawl being boring. Its been like that for a while now. It's just now the time your putting in(watching/playing) doesn't seem to be worth it. All in All the tourney itself was booty but hanging out with everyone was pretty fun. Especially Mr. Sims, I'm glad you came to hang considering how things have been going for you and how you've been feeling.
I wasn't bored with it yet. I enjoyed competing and winning. Now, it's a wasteland and I feel like I've done everything I can. It's been nearly 5 years.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I'm feeling the pains of the Melee players.

Because I've put 2 years now into this game, and I have like 300+ hours of in match time on my wii.

I have this feeling of like "great I get to start all over now."

So smash 4 scares me atm, but as a die hard life-long smash fan, I'm still super excited.

San An is dead. Austin is dead. Houston is flat lining but if we give it a few jolts she may wake up.

Dallas is alive but kinda sick.
Tyler is a yungn and takin over the world with its energy and inexpierience.

Texas doesn't have to die.

Xyro77

Finished reading just when Jumping and Pumping finished.
Yeah... Quakecon 2010. After what happened there, I felt so ****ty wasting 12 hours of my time just to be eliminated by MK along with the fact the first two (or three) rounds of the bracket was single elim.
no offense dude but i had no choice. i had to find some way to eliminate mass amounts of people without cancelling the event. sorry dude.

I'm feeling the pains of the Melee players.

Because I've put 2 years now into this game, and I have like 300+ hours of in match time on my wii.

I have this feeling of like "great I get to start all over now."

So smash 4 scares me atm, but as a die hard life-long smash fan, I'm still super excited.

San An is dead. Austin is dead. Houston is flat lining but if we give it a few jolts she may wake up.

Dallas is alive but kinda sick.
Tyler is a yungn and takin over the world with its energy and inexpierience.

Texas doesn't have to die.

Tyler is young and takin over the world with energy and inexperience? Then tx is def dead. All thanks to Obama and Tyler Tx.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
San Antonio's Smash scene is honestly still all active and hang out together. It's always been pretty small. We're just very dedicated and did our part.

Honestly, I still enjoy the **** out of Brawl, even when I play seriously.

Tournaments aren't fun because people play to win, and in Brawl, that equates to a play style and against characters that I just completely friggin' despise. There's nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but it just bothers me to no end.

It's probably why I enjoy playing San Antonio players so much. When I lose to K Prime, Megafox, or vs. Paw or Nike, I feel like I just got outplayed and outsmarted.

I feel like I actually lost at a fighting game, and you know what? It actually feels okay. :applejack:

Gea

Smash Master
Melee players were excited to get to start all over again. Had Brawl not been such a trainwreck it would have probably successfully killed off Melee to the point where a big turnout would be 50 people eve if it had still been an inferior game.

But we got Brawl, and while Smash 4 could be lots better since Bamco is involved, it could also be just as bad or worse. Plus, logistically it looks like a terrible start for a large tournament. Wireless controllers are an absolute pain in large quantities.

Denti

Smash Master
I try hard not to make explosive crazy posts but seriously... I can't this anymore. We're the only scene that is like this.

If you don't like this game or play it no one is gaining anything from your negative posts.

..OKAY SO NOW THAT WE ARE PAST THAT LETS ACTUALLY TALK PROGRESS.

The scene isn't dead in TX to start off. Houston just had it's weakest attendance, that is all.

We need to advertise more to out of city players to get carpools. This is going to be the immediate relief. Maybe it will be like +8 or +10 more people. Asc 2 was good. Asc 3 was without carpools. Asc 4 was without carpools and without everyone that doesn't live at the smash house.

New venue is a must. A bar is inappropriate. While the venue kicks ***, it isn't for everyone. We're losing the chance to gain some new (generally younger) players because of it. I know I couldn't have joined this smash scene in Houston when I was in high school, but I was able to start in the DFW smash scene while I was in high school. My parents wouldn't allow me to go to a hookah bar for a video game tournament. Gota have a family friendly venue. Most of our top players started out in this age, and I doubt we could have begun at this venue.

We still have people that like to play Brawl. Figure out why they won't take time to enter the tournament. Lets ask around. I know players like BC and like DJ phats and lots of others still play and like this game. They just need to enter the tournament. Maybe they lacked a ride. Maybe they lacked enough time to ask off from work. Lets ask around and find that out.

We need more distant planning. Just putting up threads way in advance so people can see it, plan for it, know it's happening, know it's Houston, know it's worth attending.

Sorry for going haywire but really...

**awaits for those gifs or picture comments on each of my paragraphs.

>.>

Xyro77

I try hard not to make explosive crazy posts but seriously... I can't this anymore. We're the only scene that is like this.

If you don't like this game or play it no one is gaining anything from your negative posts.

..OKAY SO NOW THAT WE ARE PAST THAT LETS ACTUALLY TALK PROGRESS.

The scene isn't dead in TX to start off. Houston just had it's weakest attendance, that is all.

We need to advertise more to out of city players to get carpools. This is going to be the immediate relief. Maybe it will be like +8 or +10 more people. Asc 2 was good. Asc 3 was without carpools. Asc 4 was without carpools and without everyone that doesn't live at the smash house.

New venue is a must. A bar is inappropriate. While the venue kicks ***, it isn't for everyone. We're losing the chance to gain some new (generally younger) players because of it. I know I couldn't have joined the smash scene in Houston when I was in high school, but I started in the DFW smash scene while I was in high school. My parents wouldn't allow me to go to a hookah bar for a video game tournament. Gota have a family friendly venue. Most of our top players started out in this age, and I doubt we could have begun at this venue.

We still have people that like to play Brawl. Figure out why they won't take time to enter the tournament. Lets ask around. I know players like BC and like DJ phats and lots of others still play and like this game. They just need to enter the tournament. Maybe they lacked a ride. Maybe they lacked enough time to ask off from work. Lets ask around and find that out.

We need more distant planning. Just putting up threads way in advance so people can see it, plan for it, know it's happening, know it's Houston, know it's worth attending.

Sorry for going haywire but really...

**awaits for those gifs or picture comments on each of my paragraphs.

>.>

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Tournaments aren't the same as they used to be. People brought more set ups. People came on time. Large size tournaments 100+ Attendance HOBOs would end in ~12 hours which was understandable. I personally can't stand going to a small-medium tournament and plan on being there for longer than 5+ hours.

You can increase attendance, but these reoccurring flaws will always be there.

Xyro77

Its so funny to see these new gen posts. if you guys were only around for the beginning of HOBO and lived through it all. u would see wtf is going on. i guess its because of that lack of insight that people literally think TX is ok and will survive.

Denti

Smash Master
That gif is gross Xyro... LOL

Also every scene ends eventually flip hop. We gota do what we can now though.

edit: @ xyro: And I know the scene isn't what it use to be but really any game eventually loses it's hype. We can still have a good scene though. Just because we can't get something that awesome back doesn't mean we let the ship sink.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I disagree Flip. All we really need is a strong TO who doesn't take crap or delay. :applejack:

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
I disagree Flip. All we really need is a strong TO who doesn't take crap or delay. :applejack:
All honestly, you need a TO who isn't going to participating in matches to resolve most of those issues. IMO a TO that's participating will have conflicts of interest of running the tournament and having fun at the tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom