• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
To be fair RT, watching Olimar throw Pikmin and Snake throw grenades for 8 minutes never sounds like fun. Thankfully, SA's community plays neither of those anti-fun characters. :applejack:

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
So since it was supposed to start at 12P, why did it actually start at 4 considering the such low attendance?
Sync's computer would not start the new TioPro.

To be fair, his computer has Windows 8, so maybe it affected performance. Or something else, maybe virus...

He ended up using Denti's laptop.

:phone:

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member

To be fair, his computer has Windows 8, so maybe it affected performance. Or something else, maybe virus...

That shouldn't have taken 4 hours............

besides, there is a free Tio type program online you can use on your smartphone. for 12 entrants it would have been a breeze.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
That or even use Challonge. There are other options than Tio. For a group that small, it could've just been a round robin tournament. lol

Esca

Smash Champion
In general, Brawl is dying. Participation/attendance has dropped, hype has dropped, and people have moved on to other games or focusing on more serious issues. That's just how it is.

But seriously, Brawl itself has become boring for many people. During the start of GF, no one was watching...and that rarely happens. I don't mean offense to the players, but watching Denti and Sync matches throwing Pikmin at each other was boring. I almost fell asleep while watching.

Attendance in Houston has been dropping. New players show up, but they don't stick around. Attendance numbers don't mean anything if you have a low retention rate.

I can foresee a lot of people quitting after Apex. It's the beginning of the end.

Well too bad it was Pwii and Denti in GFs. Do you even know where you're at sometimes RT?

On a more serious note, I think Brawl can be revived. You guys are ****ing around with advertising. I bet if you put a flier up at every gamestop, highschool, funplex type place etc you could get 1 person per venue to come to the tournament. Attendance would increase dramatically. I live in BEAUMONT or I'd do some stuff. Just don't have any members in houston willing to step it up for the game they love to hate.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
Well too bad it was Pwii and Denti in GFs. Do you even know where you're at sometimes RT?

On a more serious note, I think Brawl can be revived. You guys are ****ing around with advertising. I bet if you put a flier up at every gamestop, highschool, funplex type place etc you could get 1 person per venue to come to the tournament. Attendance would increase dramatically. I live in BEAUMONT or I'd do some stuff. Just don't have any members in houston willing to step it up for the game they love to hate.
I think the Denti/Sync reference was referring to Brawl is boring for many people.

Anyways, there needs to be a better form of advertisement. The Official Texas Smash Twitter/Facebook hasn't seen an update since before Ascension 3. Twitter isn't updated. If this scene is to grow things need to change.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I know they were two separate sets, duh.

I watched Denti vs Sync and a small part of GF.

But I know you want to use whatever material you can in whatever undeserved vendetta you have against me.

But if you want to play that game, where were you during the beginning of the GF set? Nvm, I already know.

Fliphopper

Smash Lord

But I know you want to use whatever material you can in whatever undeserved vendetta you have against me.

But if you want to play that game, where were you during the beginning of the GF set? Nvm, I already know.

RT vs Esca CINNAMON CHALLENGE/GALLON CHALLENGE

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
I love reading those. :applejack:
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lyuxah8C6o1qzynaro1_500.gif
Please write it razer. I need a good book right now.

So since it was supposed to start at 12P, why did it actually start at 4 considering the such low attendance?
In general, Brawl is dying. Participation/attendance has dropped, hype has dropped, and people have moved on to other games or focusing on more serious issues. That's just how it is.

But seriously, Brawl itself has become boring for many people. During the start of GF, no one was watching...and that rarely happens. I don't mean offense to the players, but watching Denti and Sync matches throwing Pikmin at each other was boring. I almost fell asleep while watching.

Attendance in Houston has been dropping. New players show up, but they don't stick around. Attendance numbers don't mean anything if you have a low retention rate.

I can foresee a lot of people quitting after Apex. It's the beginning of the end.

That shouldn't have taken 4 hours............

besides, there is a free Tio type program online you can use on your smartphone. for 12 entrants it would have been a breeze.
That or even use Challonge. There are other options than Tio. For a group that small, it could've just been a round robin tournament. lol

To be fair RT, watching Olimar throw Pikmin and Snake throw grenades for 8 minutes never sounds like fun. Thankfully, SA's community plays neither of those anti-fun characters. :applejack:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mbk1sdFRXk1qk8fpm.gif

So I wake up on Saturday morning at about 10:30 A.M. I'm like "okay today is the tournament." I arrive at like 11:30 or something and I walk in to just see Allan, Trela, RT and Sync. Only a couple people but that's fine. We play a few freindlies and then p4 shows ups followed by people at Sync's house. Grand total......12 entrants. That's perfectly fine to me. That means that we should be done at 5 pm and then head home, done deal right? Effing wrong. So 2 pm rolls around and I'm like "hmm, normally it would start at this time, but there are only 12 entrants, he should at least do sign ups." I see sync working on his laptop and see that he is having problems with Tio. That's fine, there's like 3 other laptops in the venue or there is that online bracket generator thing. Effing wrong again. It's 3:30 and I'm salty already. I was seriously considering leaving since it wouldn't even count for Apex points and there is only 12 people. I was even discussing this was Keith and Trela and Allan. I go back over to see what is Austin doing. You know what I see? HE IS PLAYING ****ING FRIENDLIES. ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? I go to him and say, "Austin! What are you doing?!? We have to get this started!" You know what response I get? "My laptop is ****ing up!" as he continues to play friendlies. WTF??????! SO WHAT?! ARE YOU JUST NOT GOING TO RUN IT?? THERE ARE A MILLION DIFFERENT OPTIONS. I just walk away because I can't. I wanted to leave so bad but I didn't want to waste my parent's ride they gave me. I should have. So FINALLY sign up starts at like 4 pm. People are gone eating. WELP! I go and eat too and get back. Tournament essentially started at 4:30-5pm, the time I wanted to be home already.
Now to the tourney itself. I get effing Tesh. Oh wonderful Tesh. My fellow wiimote/nunchuck. My brother right? Effing wrong again. He camps me to death knowing it is futile. Then I get jnig, another wario. Welp. Then I get the grandmaster dragon, Denti. I literally gave up at the end. I cannot do that. I will not do that anymore. DOUBLES LOSER FINALS. Esca gets to sub in for PJ, because PJ HAD WORK. EVEN I KNEW HE HAD WORK. WHY WAS PWII/PJ NOT DQ'd?! WHY WAS ESCA ALLOWED TO SUB IN? WTF??!?!? So we lose. You know how this could of been avoided? Just start the effing tournament on time. So then I play pwii and he beats me. Good show MK/pwii. I could of cared less at that point. So I got my little 10 dollars and went home. I get home at 9 effing pm from a 12 man tournament. For the first time in my life, I truly felt like I've wasted a day. I've had many days where I do nothing but stay on my laptop but I CHOOSE to spend my day like that. This was a waste of my day.
The tournament had no advertisement, was posted just like 2 weeks before the date, and was ran terribly. It was one my worst tournament experiences EVER. I was incredibly frustrated and did not enjoy myself at all. I also see where smash has gone at least in this state. Houston, the last stronghold, has fallen. The scene is dead here. I've accomplished everything there is to accomplish in Texas already since 2010. I absolutely cannot and will not attend 12 man tournaments to fight the likes of Denti and Pwii and others. The money is simply not worth it. I don't see myself going to another tournament. I will not practice this game anymore. It has BORED me. I was literally BORED playing Denti. I would of rather spent my Saturday going to my grandma's house, seeing my gf, playing cod, anything else. I am DONE with this game.

Blue shirt = me. Yellow shirt = smash scene.

CYA BROS!
I will of course still hang with y'all. Just effing no brawl.

CY

Smash Ace
why does rt still go to every tournament and hasn't played since 2009.

this game dropped off when denti became a "top player"

denti single handily killed the scene

Fliphopper

Smash Lord
So I wake up on Saturday morning at about 10:30 A.M. I'm like "okay today is the tournament." I arrive at like 11:30 or something and I walk in to just see Allan, Trela, RT and Sync. Only a couple people but that's fine. We play a few freindlies and then p4 shows ups followed by people at Sync's house. Grand total......12 entrants. That's perfectly fine to me. That means that we should be done at 5 pm and then head home, done deal right? Effing wrong. So 2 pm rolls around and I'm like "hmm, normally it would start at this time, but there are only 12 entrants, he should at least do sign ups." I see sync working on his laptop and see that he is having problems with Tio. That's fine, there's like 3 other laptops in the venue or there is that online bracket generator thing. Effing wrong again. It's 3:30 and I'm salty already. I was seriously considering leaving since it wouldn't even count for Apex points and there is only 12 people. I was even discussing this was Keith and Trela and Allan. I go back over to see what is Austin doing. You know what I see? HE IS PLAYING ****ING FRIENDLIES. ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? I go to him and say, "Austin! What are you doing?!? We have to get this started!" You know what response I get? "My laptop is ****ing up!" as he continues to play friendlies. WTF??????! SO WHAT?! ARE YOU JUST NOT GOING TO RUN IT?? THERE ARE A MILLION DIFFERENT OPTIONS. I just walk away because I can't. I wanted to leave so bad but I didn't want to waste my parent's ride they gave me. I should have. So FINALLY sign up starts at like 4 pm. People are gone eating. WELP! I go and eat too and get back. Tournament essentially started at 4:30-5pm, the time I wanted to be home already.
Now to the tourney itself. I get effing Tesh. Oh wonderful Tesh. My fellow wiimote/nunchuck. My brother right? Effing wrong again. He camps me to death knowing it is futile. Then I get jnig, another wario. Welp. Then I get the grandmaster dragon, Denti. I literally gave up at the end. I cannot do that. I will not do that anymore. DOUBLES LOSER FINALS. Esca gets to sub in for PJ, because PJ HAD WORK. EVEN I KNEW HE HAD WORK. WHY WAS PWII/PJ NOT DQ'd?! WHY WAS ESCA ALLOWED TO SUB IN? WTF??!?!? So we lose. You know how this could of been avoided? Just start the effing tournament on time. So then I play pwii and he beats me. Good show MK/pwii. I could of cared less at that point. So I got my little 10 dollars and went home. I get home at 9 effing pm from a 12 man tournament. For the first time in my life, I truly felt like I've wasted a day. I've had many days where I do nothing but stay on my laptop but I CHOOSE to spend my day like that. This was a waste of my day.
The tournament had no advertisement, was posted just like 2 weeks before the date, and was ran terribly. It was one my worst tournament experiences EVER. I was incredibly frustrated and did not enjoy myself at all. I also see where smash has gone at least in this state. Houston, the last stronghold, has fallen. The scene is dead here. I've accomplished everything there is to accomplish in Texas already since 2010. I absolutely cannot and will not attend 12 man tournaments to fight the likes of Denti and Pwii and others. The money is simply not worth it. I don't see myself going to another tournament. I will not practice this game anymore. It has BORED me. I was literally BORED playing Denti. I would of rather spent my Saturday going to my grandma's house, seeing my gf, playing cod, anything else. I am DONE with this game.

Wow, not to bash Sync on anything, and I appreciate what he's done to bring carry on the scene, but that experience that Razer pointed out is insane. Imagine if I went only to not even participate cause I had my gig with the Rockets at 4:30. I mean honestly here's what needs to happen:

A) Sync steps up as the TO devote more resources into these tournaments. This is a day long event. If it can be shortened to half a day make it half a day. ~12 hours for a 12 man tournament is crazy.

B) If Sync cannot step up as the TO, either get a team to run these tournaments, or don't run tournaments at all. Run Smashfests or something. From what it seems, it was just a Smashfest with 2 out of city players..

Even I can't go to as many tournaments as I want, I still want this scene to grow. Maybe you can need to collaborate with other game stores/venues. What happened to Monsters Arcade, Game Over, Insomnia? Even though this game is near 4 years old, it shouldn't die so fast when you have local tournaments pull 20-40 people at their places (Insomnia)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Amen on Denti being boring and de-hype to play against.
I went Lucas and Jigglypuff and Marth last time I played him, and just screwed around.

It was more fun than actually trying.

It's probably an Olimar thing though. :applejack:

Esca

Smash Champion

I actually watched all 10 games of that set thank you very much, but I smoked 2 fat *** blunts right before it started.

But yes you're right about the vendetta stuff, you're RT.

Esca

Smash Champion
Ban esca

10washeduppits

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I actually watched all 10 games of that set thank you very much, but I smoked 2 fat *** blunts right before it started.

But yes you're right about the vendetta stuff, you're RT.
But herp derp, assumptions!

That's fine. I haven't done **** to you, and you've been a complete douchebag to me for no reason for quite some time.

I was curious as to why, but now I just don't care.

Just don't talk to me anymore.

Gea

Smash Master
12 people and four hours to get TIO up?

P&P RR starting at 12 would have taken less time than a DE bracket starting post 4.

Razer, play Melee.

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
12 people and four hours to get TIO up?

P&P RR starting at 12 would have taken less time than a DE bracket starting post 4.

Razer, play Melee.
I forgot to include this. Effing this. I was quite close to finding pen and paper myself.

I enjoy watching it very much, but it's too late for me to sail down that path.
Flip there were like 3 or maybe 4?

Gea

Smash Master
It's never too late, bro. The TO of the tournament the 22nd (which is shaping up to be awesome) is still in highschool I am pretty sure. He's pretty new to it, all in all. I'd be happy to teach you, and I'm sure Keith would as well.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Razer, you can still learn Melee. The only thing you need to do is learn some new techs and shed some of the disgusting Brawl habits you picked up (rolling, excessive spotdodging, buffering, etc.).

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Eh, if I ever did, it would be for purely fun. I wouldn't want to enter tournaments. Plus if I did, it would be next year since I'm still going to Apex (can't refund plane ticket).

Yup RT. Plus I have to switch back to GC controller and learn how to deal with tap jump. I just don't see me doing it at the moment. I'd rather watch it.

Esca

Smash Champion
Switching to a more dead game isn't the answer to a dying game. If the game isn't fun to you anymore just don't play it, it's supposed to be enjoyable.

@RT It's because you beat me at Ozzfest and I just cannot get over myself. I hate your entire being and your whole existance.

Gea

Smash Master
Switching to a more dead game isn't the answer to a dying game.
It has better attendance and as far as I know, more large tournaments these days than Brawl does. Biggest Melee event this year had well over 300 entrants... compared to what for Brawl? This tournament coming up has somewhere between 20-30 people confirmed for coming not including unconfirmed regulars.

But fine, play KoF XIII instead of Brawl. Or pretty much any game besides Brawl.

Esca

Smash Champion
I think both games are equally dead. I've just been attending fests for the past year because I enjoy the company of good friends.

Black Ops 2 is better. MW3 is terrible too. And MW2 has left the building.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
To be quite honest, I've felt this game was dying (at least for SA kinda) after the 7 straight tournaments in a row we had back in 2010.
Sure 2011 had the circuit, but Brawl still felt like it was slowly dying from there.

If I had to pinpoint an actual moment when I believe Brawl fell off for us.... The championships for our circuit put the nail in the coffin.
Even though I didn't attend many tournaments all of 2012, I always checked up on results for Denti's Xyro Sync's Mr. GaW etc. results and I noticed a slight pattern of them slowly losing more and more people as it was barely able to pass 25 sometimes.

Hell, even the $1000 pot added to Xyro's last HOBO barely attracted 30 people.

Gea

Smash Master
I'll concede it varies more by region, but as far as I know all the Road to Apex stuff for Melee have had 120ish entrants a pop. That's 10 times what this supposed Apex qualifier had for Brawl.

Edit:So Kings of Cali, ROM5, and Big House 2 all averaged pretty damn close (less than 10 players each) from 120 entrants. Unless someone can direct me to a larger one that I honestly don't know about, the largest Apex qualifier I can find for Brawl had 45 entrants and it wasn't even in the USA, it was in Barcelona.

Mr. game and watch

Smash Master
I wouldn't deny that, but IMO that's because people started worrying more about getting big names to their tourneys and not the casuals.

Scrubs are my main demographic. I thrive on them attending my tourneys.
Why? There are 5 brawl players in Tyler who actually play competitively, not including Labernash because he quit.

But if I get 10+ casuals on a regular basis, they start getting better and better.

Every year of brawl should be a repeat of the first melee tourneys.
Get everyone. Sure, if you can get a couple big names there, that's nice. But that doesn't start a scene.

People are going to quit, and the only remedy is to bring new players in, which many TO's have given up on.

Gea

Smash Master
Phoenix Saga 5 was this weekend and had 72 entrants. Apex qualifier.

Also WABA had 102 entrants and I think it was also an apex qualifier.

Thanks for the info, I didn't see the results threads for them listing it as Apex so... and Brawl slowed down primarily due to it not being fun for as many people anymore.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
GW, I've been here running events in brawl and melee longer than you have been alive. What is happening now is what happened at the end of melee's life here in Houston. A major change was need and it's not the change you are talking about.

I could name probably 20-30 different reasons why this great city/state has fallen so low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom