• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitstun/shield stun Thread

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I've been playing with the hitstun codes for a few days now and I have to say that I very much like it. It's very subtle, but goes a long way. It's far removed from Melee too, so that should appease the people who are afraid of it turning into "melee 2.0." With a few fixes I think this will be gold.

Any word on the dash dancing code? I personally PMed the guy that did the hitstun code talking about why dash dancing was awesome in melee, and how it beats the crap out of reverse aerial rush. I'm hoping that would convince him to work on that, cause he is ballin when it comes to his coding.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Who is this guy? Can you ask him to edit the hit stun code to fix the two glitches first before adding more stun?

MuBa

Smash Lord
I've been playing with the hitstun codes for a few days now and I have to say that I very much like it. It's very subtle, but goes a long way. It's far removed from Melee too, so that should appease the people who are afraid of it turning into "melee 2.0." With a few fixes I think this will be gold.

Any word on the dash dancing code? I personally PMed the guy that did the hitstun code talking about why dash dancing was awesome in melee, and how it beats the crap out of reverse aerial rush. I'm hoping that would convince him to work on that, cause he is ballin when it comes to his coding.
Since you are better with communicating with him can you also ask him if there is a universal code that will make every character just move around a bit faster? I just hope not everyone requires some sort of modified super character code which will more than likely take up 256+ lines of coding.

Cuz what I've noticed about 64 and Melee is that their move set were very fast compared to Brawl and that's how you ended up getting lots of combos.

Also with the dash-dance, if we end up getting a faster and longer dash animation, then this may be that little speed we need to be able to combo. Lol I can see it now, foxtrot to catch up to your opponent for comboing.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
After playing against human opponents for a while I'm going to say that there needs to be more stun. Right now it's very easy for human players to prevent pretty much any combo. About the only things that would work are stuff at really low percents that you can chain together quickly, which is nice, but not the answer we were really looking for. Another solution to this problem is to have the hit stun scale better at higher percents. As it stands it seems like there is equal stun throughout, but when they are at higher percent and get hit by a big move, they should be stunned for longer. This is pretty much how it worked in Melee.

You can punish peoples escapes of combos, but not very well and not all of the time, so yeah, that doesn't make up for the need for more stun either.

kupo15

Smash Hero
After playing against human opponents for a while I'm going to say that there needs to be more stun. Right now it's very easy for human players to prevent pretty much any combo. About the only things that would work are stuff at really low percents that you can chain together quickly, which is nice, but not the answer we were really looking for. Another solution to this problem is to have the hit stun scale better at higher percents. As it stands it seems like there is equal stun throughout, but when they are at higher percent and get hit by a big move, they should be stunned for longer. This is pretty much how it worked in Melee.

You can punish peoples escapes of combos, but not very well and not all of the time, so yeah, that doesn't make up for the need for more stun either.
Yup, that is what it seems which is bad. Hitstun really needs tweaking. Im going to wait a little longer before bugging PW

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
perhaps remove the ability to DI during hitstun?
That would be really bad, as you can only DI for a split second after you are hit, doing this would effectively remove DI, which would not be good.

There just needs to be about 25% more stun or so, just a little bit more.

kupo15

Smash Hero
That would be really bad, as you can only DI for a split second after you are hit, doing this would effectively remove DI, which would not be good.

There just needs to be about 25% more stun or so, just a little bit more.
Yup, does anyone know anyone who might help before I bother PW? The additional hit stun + removal of two bugs would be so sweet

Ryuker

Smash Lord
So what happened know is that the stun time increased overall and doesn't go by percentage? I thought it was just the flying animation which left you stunned. I can't jump out at high percentages as much as I can at the beginning so isn't that already in there?

I tested it against some lvl 9's too and I can hardly get any good combo going on them ( they airdodge or attack or just block). Isn't it just alter the hex code of one of those lines of code?

Revven

FrankerZ
Isn't it just alter the hex code of one of those lines of code?
It isn't that simple. We don't know which lines control the hitstun frames NOR do we know if it is a floating point. It wouldn't be able to work like the Trip Rate Modifier (as far as I'm aware).

Ryuker

Smash Lord
It isn't that simple. We don't know which lines control the hitstun frames NOR do we know if it is a floating point. It wouldn't be able to work like the Trip Rate Modifier (as far as I'm aware).
Ah ok. Too bad. Shouldn't we ask PW which lines we need to alter then? Or does he really have to add new lines?

kupo15

Smash Hero
I feel that 1.2's hitstun is more constant and 1.1 is tied closer to the perc and closer to the true hit stun. I think he needs to scrap 1.2 and fix 1.1 again instead of trying to fix 1.2

Dan_X

Smash Lord
umm??

So why is 1.2 not being used? I still haven't tried these stun codes... but seeing as how I haven't heard anything about 1.2 I guess I should continue to wait for the best version of this code... right?

kupo15

Smash Hero
no...Im trying my best..:\

The news I heard is that No one knows where he is and that we won't progress with hitstun till he comes back. Im trying to see if others would like to make their own from scratch....

MuBa

Smash Lord
Anyone know where to find cheap usbgeckos? i know assembly programming but I'm on a tight budget.
Well then you can have the honor of having a Smash Researcher title in this forum pretty easily :)

There is one for $40 +$6 shipping so it's about $10 cheaper than the USB Gecko site.

HTML:
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Gecko-Memory-card-to-pc-cheats-and-much-more-NEW_W0QQitemZ270304071762QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games_Accessories?hash=item270304071762&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
After testing both extensively, I would advise to use 1.1 and hopefully get it's bugs fixed. 1.2 doesn't have variable hitstun and has a cap limit on it instead, preventing most combos. Because you cannot follow up after your attacks successfully, the game still leans to a campy play style, and players now have to wait on the opponent to leave hitstun, resulting in slower game play.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I PMed PW and he gave me Hitstun 1.3.

Disclaimer: Since I don't think Phantom Wings wants to be bombarded with Pms and stuff about improving hitstun, I want to be the liaison so if you have any bugs, tell me, and I will tell him

Things updated:
-Twirl hit stun fixed
-Bounce off wall fixed

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
I PMed PW and he gave me Hitstun 1.3.

Disclaimer: Since I don't think Phantom Wings wants to be bombarded with Pms and stuff about improving hitstun, I want to be the liaison so if you have any bugs, tell me, and I will tell him

Things updated:
-Twirl hit stun fixed
-Bounce off wall fixed
Woohoo, less bugs n_n

Hows the stun time?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Woohoo, less bugs n_n

Hows the stun time?
There is no change in stun time which is ok. At least all the bugs are gone I believe.

I have an idea for more stun time. Im pretty sure the stun time gets less the more stale the move is so what should work is if the stun time is equal to that of a fresh move all the time no matter how stale the move is.

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
There is no change in stun time which is ok. At least all the bugs are gone I believe.

I have an idea for more stun time. Im pretty sure the stun time gets less the more stale the move is so what should work is if the stun time is equal to that of a fresh move all the time no matter how stale the move is.
**** I don't have anyone around that knows squat about the game that I can get to test this with me XD

MBlaze

Smash Champion

I thought there was....

TP

Smash Master
I tested this today and I am correct. Snake at 20% recovered from a fresh ganon utilt in 1.33 sec. At a nearly completely stale utilt it took .87 secs to recover
Don't forget that a sweetspotted Utilt is much stronger than a sour one.

kupo15

Smash Hero
oooo really? I didn't know there was a sweet spot. Lemme check to see if I sweet spotted both. Im pretty sure I did. Doesn't the wind effect auto sweet spot the move? I did it to a standing player.

Top Bottom