• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitstun/shield stun Thread

Finns7

Smash Ace
I get what he is saying, Ive encountered situations with computers where they input a ariel to break a combo or air dodge idk I think we just need to practice with it until we get used to it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I get what he is saying, Ive encountered situations with computers where they input a ariel to break a combo or air dodge idk I think we just need to practice with it until we get used to it.
Well, if thats the case then the hitstun is too little if you can break a combo by having poor DI.

Finns7

Smash Ace
Idk the computer actually DIied good imo, I was fox and did a utilt then did a nair and they air dodged at the right time. 10% is what I use.

zxeon

Smash Lord
Idk the computer actually DIied good imo, I was fox and did a utilt then did a nair and they air dodged at the right time. 10% is what I use.
I know what you're talking about the computer has moments of brilliance where they actually DI correctly and then counter you.

Geez kupo, could you atleast give me the benefit of the doubt? Give it a try before you go off on me. I know what I am talking about.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Geez kupo, could you atleast give me the benefit of the doubt? Give it a try before you go off on me. I know what I am talking about.
lol I wasnt accusing you of anything, I was just making sure...

your saying it's saying "if they can avoid this then it's not broke" type of thing...^_^

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I can safely say that is too much stun. That said, it looks like A LOT of fun.
Mookie. Please listen to me. This is the WRONG mentality for game making!!! The game SHOULD be A LOT of fun. Smash64 didn't have any problem dealing with too much hitstun, and neither should brawl! Don't discard what could possibly be freaking awesome because it doesn't fit within the paradigm of what you see as tournament worthy. Experiment! HAVE FUN! Don't nip the bud of something that could be amazing because it conflicts with your preconceived notion of what should go into the successor of melee! A game should be entertaining first and foremost! ALWAYS!

Finns7

Smash Ace
I think it is a bit too much though, and im sure someone could exploit that so that the game is not fun, i do agree though that fun is a factor we should look into.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
I think it is a bit too much though, and im sure someone could exploit that so that the game is not fun, i do agree though that fun is a factor we should look into.
Can you give a better explanation of why it is too much and to what your referring to? If they are referring to Kupo's video I know that many of those hits could have been DIed better. I still do not think that 12% is too much yet. I will keep testing stuff out in it. Right now I am enjoying it at 12%.

Finns7

Smash Ace
In Kupos vid of fox vs CF the Fox did not fully use the histun to his advantage imo. I will make a video showing 12 percent.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Ive played against and as Fox in 12.5% I know that Fox is a comboing beast in it. But its not that hard to DI out of his air combos. It isn't that hard to out prioritize him either.

Finns7

Smash Ace
I just dont think the game is balanced at that level of hitstun...I just tried it out. Idk dude, its not just fox @_@

Finns7

Smash Ace
No Im playing humans who know how to DI, It still seems like once your catch someone in a combo they have 50+ automaticaly with certain chars and the problem to me is it is easy to set up.

plasmatorture

Smash Journeyman
Me and my roommate have been playing with 12.5% for a few days now. Neither of us are very good (...average maybe?), mind you, but I actually combo so I'm having a blast with it. He bregrudingly accepts I think, as he's a very defensive player who benefitted greatly Brawl's lack of it.

I can't claim 12.5% is balanced at high levels of play but it sure feels right to me. We tried 15% which was terrible. Really fun for me, but not balanced remotely. We should give a lower % a shot too to see what that's like. In the end, any thing that makes Captain Falcon go from unplayable to playable is good in my book.

Just my two cents.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
My friend and I tried it out and it was a lot of fun. I tried breaking it, but other than finding some just sick setups, it really isn't broken. My stance has changed a bit, but I'm thinking that 12% it's a tad bit too much. The amount of stupid combos was just a bit too high. 11% would be a good compromise.

Speaking of which, I saved a replay of a ******** Charizard combo. I'm going to record it in a bit and post it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
My friend and I tried it out and it was a lot of fun. I tried breaking it, but other than finding some just sick setups, it really isn't broken. My stance has changed a bit, but I'm thinking that 12% it's a tad bit too much. The amount of stupid combos was just a bit too high. 11% would be a good compromise.

Speaking of which, I saved a replay of a ******** Charizard combo. I'm going to record it in a bit and post it.
Well I have a question. You said you could do several Utilts with squirtle that constitutes as a "stupid combo." What makes these Utilts not stupid or are they in your mind?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIYn3TtRr_w (At 3:40)

zxeon

Smash Lord
I wanna see that charizard combo.

You up for playing a few Finns?
No tripping, 10% hitstun, and auto-L-canceling (does this cause desyncs?).

Finns7

Smash Ace
I think l cancel is out so take it we will use 10 hitstun and no trip.....Unless the lcancel causes desyncs someone please tell us

zxeon

Smash Lord
I think l cancel is out so take it we will use 10 hitstun and no trip.....Unless the lcancel causes desyncs someone please tell us
Just forget about L-cancel we'll go without it.

No tripping, 10% hitstun and I still need your friend code mine is in my profile above each post.

Finns7

Smash Ace
No wding remember that and 1 seck ill host, 1 sec i forgot to change it on the codemng

Finns7

Smash Ace
xzeo hold on man im online right now im about to host sorry for the wait

leafgreen386

Dirty camper
Uh guys... there's a little feature called PM for stuff like this... >_>

It's already bad enough having to sort through the other general brawl threads... having to sort through extraneous posts in the brawl+ threads too is just annoying.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Marth's Utilts ARE stupid, LOL
Ah ok, so then the Zard combo was ******** in a good way then..So why exactly do you think 12% is a tad too much? I think the next step would be 11.5% instead of 11% (is there a difference in halves?)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The zard combo was just silly. I think overall there is a bit too much stun, but it's more of a preference thing. It did feel a lot more like melee with your setup, and I liked that a lot. I'm going to knock the hitstun down to 11% and play it like that from now on. I'm even beginning to not like S-cancel anymore, cause the lag wasn't really messing anything up. I'd definitely like to see how it plays with a bit of shield stun.

You've converted me for the most part. It's too much fun.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think there are some setups that are a bit too good right now at 12%. For one I got a few really rough combos with Falcon on Ike, down throw -> nair -> dair spike off the stage. It happened at about 20%. Now, that isn't anything new, Fox gimped like a mofo in Melee, it's just so crazy to see this in brawl, and well, I'm a bit conservative with stun. 11% would allow you to do *almost* as much stuff, and it's more than 10% which is what most people were wanting. Comprimise ftw?

Speaking of gimps, Charizard is the king of them. His fair is reminiscent of Sheik's fair from melee, it tends to knock people down and out. Sooooo sick. Bair when hit with certain parts spikes as well. I'm going to focus on learning how to space that to be able to land it somewhat consistently.

I'm way more excited about Brawl now. Tooooo ****in good.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I think there are some setups that are a bit too good right now at 12%. For one I got a few really rough combos with Falcon on Ike, down throw -> nair -> dair spike off the stage. It happened at about 20%. Now, that isn't anything new, Fox gimped like a mofo in Melee, it's just so crazy to see this in brawl, and well, I'm a bit conservative with stun. 11% would allow you to do *almost* as much stuff, and it's more than 10% which is what most people were wanting. Comprimise ftw?

Speaking of gimps, Charizard is the king of them. His fair is reminiscent of Sheik's fair from melee, it tends to knock people down and out. Sooooo sick. Bair when hit with certain parts spikes as well. I'm going to focus on learning how to space that to be able to land it somewhat consistently.

I'm way more excited about Brawl now. Tooooo ****in good.
Well, I just tested out 11.5% and I felt a big difference. It was on a CPU which has no merit, but comboing was harder than 12%. I couldn't do the stuff I could in 12%. Can you try 11.5% mookie? I think it might be your solution and a better compromise. But we still need more testing. I want to make sure that us screwing up the timing of the AD due to the different stun levels doesnt skew things. I would like to try that Faster falling hack when we get it with less stun to see how that is....

Also, Ike is easy to combo since he is heavy and big. I love fighting them..

I PMed Y.S. for the shield stun, PS and ledges code so hopefully he picks them up and does them soon, if at all. He isn't as quick responding to PMs as PW though. PW always PMs right away when he reads them. If things don't work out with YS, we will have to wait until PW has his materials to start hacking again.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
A 35% combo is your proof for 12% hitstun being too high? Excuse me butt I just don't think thats enough to say that the setting isn't gonna work.
Did you even read what I said after that? Give my posts a look. That combo is just silly and awesome.

If you want devastating combos, then Falcon has a few. I was able to land stuff that was pretty much a Ken combo, nair -> to dair and it KOs most characters at really low percents. I'm sure that DI would inhibit that, and honestly I'm pretty sure you could do that at 10% as well. I'm also sure that if you DI properly it wouldn't work.

Top Bottom