• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

History of the PokeCenter

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Oh yeah, forgot about Lord Bowser. He's Artists Reign.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
The Glory Era is where we begin, starting from the middle of 2007. This was a major bustling point, where the Next Gen. Threads dominated the community discussions, with various RMTs and RTP (Rate That Pokemon) strolling alongside. This was also the beginning point of the Artists Reign, as towards the next group of members arrived the Sprite Shop became increasingly popular.

Artists Reign was mainly dominated by three things: the continuation of the Next Gen. Threads, the boards' first Counter Game, and the Cusrtom Pokemon Shop. As creativity thawed out on the Next Gen. Threads, more and more people were drawn to the Custom Pokemon Shop, which grew exponentially during this time period. This was when Spire VII was Modded into the PokeCenter.

New Elders signaled the arrival of members who have evolved into the staple members of today's PokeCenter such as UltiMario, Writer, etc. The SmashCAP projects were started, and the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver hyped the boards. Other projects like CRASHiC's NU to OU, and the Ancestral Tree were also started during this period alongside the already running Counter Game and the Leaderboard.

The Revolutinary Period roared the boards with activity. Projects like Battle Of The Week, PokeCenter Spriting Contest, and SmashCAP spearheaded the multitude of projects. Articanus made his return from a Pokemon hiatus, and Chill was re-inducted as a PokeCenter Moderator. The Revolutionary Period was named after the infamous "war" that took place during this time between the new and older members.

The Reformation was quite literally, a reformation. The two subforums were hauled in favor of the Battle Tower and Pokemon Lab - one to house competitive discussions and the other to main the many projects. The Researchers were changed into the Pokemon Masters, a group of members who contributed heavily to the development of the PokeCenter. SmashCAP 3, tributing former Mod Zook was started.

-----
What do you guys think of the descriptions?
When were the Researcher titles first introduced? Under Umbreon's Modship?

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
You get rid of those spelling typos in the second and last paragraphs and I'll love those descriptions, Tery.

Not to criticise Articanus' name or anything, but wouldn't it be easier to address him as ss118 just so newcomers wouldn't get confused with the different names? I doubt everybody who's going to come in knows his title on Smogon.

Now, all that's left for the Poke Center is for somebody to write an encyclopaedia about the board...

Tacel

Smash Lord
I found the "house" mispell, but where's the typo in the 2nd paragraph?
Artists Reign was mainly dominated by three things: the continuation of the Next Gen. Threads, the boards' first Counter Game, and the Cusrtom Pokemon Shop. As creativity thawed out on the Next Gen. Threads, more and more people were drawn to the Custom Pokemon Shop, which grew exponentially during this time period. This was when Spire VII was Modded into the PokeCenter.
That's all that I found.
I like the descriptions, Terywj.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I am defiantly during the Artists reign, I remember being one of the top 10 posters in the original CPS

majora_787

Smash Hero
I remember being here in '08 and frequenting the sprite shop with obscure Cacturne-based requests. But I dunno if that gets me a spot there. :laugh:

Then I kinda went away and came back some time in '09 I believe.

So Artists' Reign I suppose.

rockem7

Smash Ace
I started posting here in bowser king's old Next Gen thread, but then I fell away from SWF for a while. Then I came back around the time of the Little Cup tournament and have posted here about every day since. I don't know if that's long enough, but I thought I'd try. :p

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Month long bump. But I think I've got a good reason for it.

Given that the Reformation happened in early 2010 and it's been a few months, does anyone think the current... schism... happening right now is a good enough landmark to start a new period? We should probably wait until it's over before we do (so we can address it in present tense), but still.

When it comes down to giving a good summary of the time, we'd need someone unbiased so the event doesn't get twisted in some way. Just making that known.

XACE-K

Smash Master

Given that the Reformation happened in early 2010 and it's been a few months, does anyone think the current... schism... happening right now is a good enough landmark to start a new period? We should probably wait until it's over before we do (so we can address it in present tense), but still.

When it comes down to giving a good summary of the time, we'd need someone unbiased so the event doesn't get twisted in some way. Just making that known.
Well I feel that 2 things should be done first.

1. Wait until this whole situation is over. I highly doubt the arguement will severely change the PC but I believe we should be patient.

2. Wait until new members are coming to the PC. This dex was created when members looked back at the PC's activity. So in a few months, we can see who joined during this time and put them in.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

I believe I'm unbiased enough to make a summary after this happens, but first, we need more members to join, and second we need to see what amounts to this.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
I don't think there HAS to be an event that changes the PC significantly, really. The Artists Reign doesn't look like anything important happened, though maybe something did that's not down there or whatever.

And even if nothing noteworthy does occur, it's still a pretty big event with a lot at stake anyway.

Maybe when it is over new members will already have joined. *shrugs*

XACE-K

Smash Master
I don't think there HAS to be an event that changes the PC significantly, really. The Artists Reign doesn't look like anything important happened, though maybe something did that's not down there or whatever.
The Artists Reign was pretty important. The 3 threads mentioned by Tery in the OP were the largest threads at that time. The Counter game was frequented by the competitive PCers, the Next Gen thread was for everyone to express their ideas about the future of Pokemon (and a lot of it was wrong). And the CPS was very active with the spriting and it accumulated a large fanbase.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
This whole business does not warrant a new era for a couple reasons - first it hasn't been relatively long enough from The Reformation to be its own era, and secondly there haven't been enough new members.

At best I would meld the current era name into "Reformation and Fall / Collapse / Destruction" depending on how bad this gets. XD

Metal~Mario

Smash Lord
Agreed.

At best, this era should be glazed over like the corner of a burnt cake. :)

However, this thread will endure, so I question the use of "Destruction". "Fracture" or "Factions" would sound a lot better IMO.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
That's why I listed Fall as the first option. Anyways, I'll need help writing more detailed descriptions for the eras I wasn't here in (Feb. '08 - Aug. '09). So pretty much Artist's Reign and New Elders.

jigglyppuff8

Smash Lord
Can I be Glory Era? Sure, I didn't contribute crap to the Poke Center other than Bulbapedia cites (just dig up the old Q&A) and was a crappy battler to boot, but I was still there. ⊂(゚ヮ゚ )

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Can I be Glory Era? Sure, I didn't contribute crap to the Poke Center other than Bulbapedia cites (just dig up the old Q&A) and was a crappy battler to boot, but I was still there. ⊂(゚ヮ゚ )
Yeah you were there. And you definitely did contribute to the Next Geb. threads, if anything. :O

Top Bottom