• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Here's the keys - make a crossover fighter with [INSERT IP HERE].

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Cross-posting from the Next Smash thread
Alright....it's time.

My Bandai Namco fighting game roster is now complete!

I'd do a roster image but it's proving to be kind of a pain in the ass, so instead I'll list out the 30 characters, separate them in chunks, and explain stuff along the way.

So here....we.....go!

Fighting Game People

1. Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
2. King II (Tekken)
3. Nina Williams (Tekken)
4. Nightmare (SoulCalibur)
5. Taki (SoulCalibur)

So yeah! Tekken and SoulCal! Tekken has the most characters on this roster. I picked Heihachi out of all the Mishima bloodline because while yeah, he probably is gonna stop being relevant next time around cause Story Stuff, I just think he's awesome. King and Nina, two popular mainstays, a grappler and a female character. As for SC, Nightmare is an obvious one, and for the second rep, I wanted another female character. Ivy and Talim were both very much in consideration, but I went with Taki mainly to fill the obligatory ninja fighter niche, and also cause I just think she's really cool.

Other Popular Series

6. Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
7. Velvet Crowe (Tales of Berseria)
8. Malenia (Elden Ring)
9. Soul of Cinder (Dark Souls)
10. Agumon (Digimon)
11. Wizardmon (Digimon)

This is where the other stuff with multiple reps goes: Tales, Souls and Digimon. As for Tales....I'll be honest, I don't like Yuri very much lol. But I know how popular he is, and thus I know that if Bamco picked out a somewhat older Tales character, he'd stand a good chance, so whatever. I guess he goes in. For that second slot, I do honestly think at this point in time they'd go for an Arise character, but Velvet is just too *ing cool. She probably wouldn't get in, but tough *, it's my roster. As for Souls, I wanted an ER rep and a classic DS rep. The ER slot went to Malenia, cause I think she's a cool character who'd stand out. As for the DS pick, I knew Solaire was the big popular one, so I looked into him and I......wasn't terribly inspired. After looking into some other options, one I really vibed with was the Soul of Cinder, being a beloved boss who kinda represents the Chosen Undead in a way. And yeah for clarification I did want to go for NPCs or bosses with the Souls reps. The second Digimon rep was a doozy. Agumon needed to be in of course, but picking out a second one was tough. I looked into it, and one option I loved was Beelzemon, but idk. I just felt he didn't quite match what I was looking for, as extremely cool as I found him to be. After looking through several articles listing the best or most popular Digimon or what have you, I landed on Wizardmon, cause I really like his design and I think he'd stand out in a really nice way.

80's Arcade Reps

12. Pac-Man
13. Taizo Hori (Dig Dug)
14. Mappy
15. Gilgamesh (The Tower of Druaga)
16. Valkyrie (The Legend of Valkyrie)
17. Tobi "Kissy" Masuyo (Baraduke)
18. Momo Kanda (Wonder Momo)
19. Taira no Kagekiyo (Genpei Touma Den)
20. Rick Taylor (Splatterhouse)

I don't feel I have to explain those, tbh. Very cool characters, all of whom with their own styles and niches and whatnot. This was a huge era for Namco, one that birthed a ton of super cool characters, so I want to treat it properly. Honorable mentions go to Tarosuke and Bravoman, who probably would've made it on a larger roster. Other classic arcade picks I considered included Hiromi from Burning Force, Paco from Marvel Land, Makoto from Mach Breakers and a character from The Outfoxies cause that game is absolutely ****ing insane. Ton of picks you could go for though.

Relatively modern choices

21. Reiko Nagase (Ridge Racer)
22. Wild Dog (Time Crisis)
23. KOS-MOS (Xenosaga)
24. Alisa (God Eater)
25. Don-chan (Taiko no Tatsujin)
26. Kite (.hack)
27. Sanger Zonvolt (Super Robot Wars)
28. Klonoa

Alright! Reiko is the coolest. Straight up. She may not be a conventional fighter, but I think you can come up with a cool moveset that still fits her character and doesn't just rely on "uhhh she summons cars!" I see her having a lot of smooth, dance-ish moves. She has that vibe. I went with Wild Dog as the Time Crisis rep, I think he's a cool less conventional pick with legacy in the franchise. KOS-MOS was obvious, Alisa seems to be a popular character and she's from a big relatively recent Bamco franchise. Don-chan is my boy so you know he goes in. Kite is neat, Sanger is a really cool character from a franchise I don't see a lot in Bamco rosters despite how big it is. Klonoa is probably the single least historically important character in my roster, but he's cute so it evens out. Shoutouts to Mr. Driller, Code;Vein, Summon Night, Yumeria, prolly a couple others I'm forgetting.

Weird/Joke Picks

29. The King of All Cosmos (Katamari Damacy)
30. Haruka Amami (The IDOLM@STER)

These are the two haha lol picks. People have long struggled with putting a Katamari rep in rosters, cause it's kinda hard to do a moveset revolving around the Katamari. My solution? Just add the King. "BUT WEED", I hear a nonexistent strawman say, "isn't he too big?". His size changes depending on mood, he's shown at various different sizes throughout the series, **** you, he goes in. He'd have the best moveset ever. As for Haruka, IDOLM@STER is huge, and also I think "idol singer" is an easy concept for a unconventional/noncombatant fighter.

So er yeah! That's it! That's my Bandai Namco fighting game roster!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Super Smash Bots
smash game but robots only
Robo MarioMagearnaE.M.M.I. (Metroid)EVE (Mother)Poppi a (Xenonblade):ultrob:Springtron (ARMS)Ray MK III (Custom Robo)Chibi-RoboRoboPup (Nintendogs)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight)Harry (Teleroboxer)Monita (Nintendo Land)Mokka (Magical Vacation)BombermanTwinBeeAir ZonkMetal SonicAigis (Persona)Vectorman
:ultmegaman:Huitzil (Darkstalkers)Alisa (Tekken)Kos-mos (Xenosaga)2b (Nier)Doh (Arkanoid)Kunoichi (Ninja Warriors)Fulgore (Killer Instinct)Metabee (Medabots)Atlas/P-Body (Portal)

Last edited:

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
As requested by Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer in the DC vs. Marvel thread, here is my fan roster for Marvel vs. Capcom 4
image0-45 (1).jpg
It follows a particular motif of having only 13 veterans per side, inspired by Thorgi Arcade's Build the Roster for this very same concept (though his roster is not to my tastes)

25 characters on each side for a total of 50; Not too sure about DLC.
Some cuts had to be made because of the "only 13 veterans" rule, big cuts at that, but the trade-off for newcomers I feel is worth it.

I'm not going to explain all the picks but you can ask about the roster and why X is on it or why Y is not or what lead me to pick Z, etc. I'll be more than happy to answer

Note that this isn't a prediction roster, it's a fan roster

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
As requested by Infinity Sorcerer Infinity Sorcerer in the DC vs. Marvel thread, here is my fan roster for Marvel vs. Capcom 4
It follows a particular motif of having only 13 veterans per side, inspired by Thorgi Arcade's Build the Roster for this very same concept (though his roster is not to my tastes)

Some cuts had to be made because of the "only 13 veterans" rule, big cuts at that, but the trade-off for newcomers I feel is worth it.

I'm not going to explain all the picks but you can ask about the roster and why X is on it or why Y is not or what lead me to pick Z, etc. I'll be more than happy to answer

Nice roster, but I just want to point out that Ken is a veteran from the older MvC games (I really don't like being that guy, but it just really bothered me more than it honestly should lol).

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion

I really like it, my personal bias would say that Moon Knight could replace Nightcrawler and in the Capcom side there is a notorious lack of Vergil and moreso any character from SFV but alas, is very solid!

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Nice roster, but I just want to point out that Ken is a veteran from the older MvC games (I really don't like being that guy, but it just really bothered me more than it honestly should lol).
Unfortunately you're right; I'll have to replace him. I wanted to avoid Juri since she's just too obvious but I'll probably go that route then. Or maybe the new SF6 characters, but that seems like cheating a little since the game isn't out.

I really like it, my personal bias would say that Moon Knight could replace Nightcrawler and in the Capcom side there is a notorious lack of Vergil and moreso any character from SFV but alas, is very solid!
I wanted more X-Men, and honestly Nightcrawler would be more interesting functionally than Moon Knight.
I originally had Vergil instead of Wesker but there ended up being way too much DMC present. Given my 13 veteran rule, I cut Vergil for Wesker.

Same goes for any big name veteran that I know people would point out are missing; i.e. Storm, Vewtiful Joe, Venom, etc. They just didn't make my top 13

On another note, check out the Hasbro Game Night Fight thread, and nominate a boss character!

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
Unfortunately you're right; I'll have to replace him. I wanted to avoid Juri since she's just too obvious but I'll probably go that route then. Or maybe the new SF6 characters, but that seems like cheating a little since the game isn't out.
Luke could easily work, since he is a SFV character as well, or an alternative could be Batsu/Akira or another Rival Schools character.

D

Deleted member

How about a black chick, with an afro, that does a bunch of split kicks. She could be a new soul caliber character.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Redoing a compilation idea I did a while back:

Super Mario 45th Anniversary Edition - 2026; Nintendo's first release on Xbox, Steam and PlayStation and the final first party Switch release
  1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 2
  3. Super Mario Bros. 3
  4. Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
  5. Super Mario World
  6. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  7. Mario Bros.
  8. Super Mario 64
  9. Super Mario Sunshine
  10. Super Mario Galaxy
  11. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  12. Super Mario Land
  13. Super Mario Land 2
  14. Mario Kart 64
  15. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  16. Mario Kart Wii
  17. Mario Party 2
  18. Mario Party 6
  19. Mario Tennis (N64)
  20. Mario Golf (N64)
  21. Mario Superstar Baseball
  22. Super Mario RPG
  23. Paper Mario
  24. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  25. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  26. Super Mario Strikers
  27. Yoshi's Island
  28. Yoshi's Story
  29. Tetris Attack
  30. Donkey Kong
  31. Donkey Kong Jr.
  32. Donkey Kong (1994)
  33. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  34. Donkey Kong Country
  35. Donkey Kong Country 2
  36. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  37. Diddy Kong Racing
  38. DK: King of Swing
  39. Virtual Boy Wario Land
  40. Wario Land 4
  41. WarioWare Inc: Minigame Mania!
  42. WarioWare Twisted!
  43. Dr. Mario 64
  44. Mario Paint
  45. Super Smash Bros. (N64)

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Redoing a compilation idea I did a while back:

Super Mario 45th Anniversary Edition - 2026; Nintendo's first release on Xbox, Steam and PlayStation and the final first party Switch release
  1. Super Mario Bros.
  2. Super Mario Bros. 2
  3. Super Mario Bros. 3
  4. Super Mario World
  5. New Super Mario Bros. Wii
  6. Mario Bros.
  7. Super Mario 64
  8. Super Mario Sunshine
  9. Super Mario Galaxy
  10. Super Mario Galaxy 2
  11. Super Mario Land
  12. Mario Kart 64
  13. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
  14. Mario Kart Wii
  15. Mario Party 2
  16. Mario Tennis (N64)
  17. Mario Golf (N64)
  18. Super Mario RPG
  19. Paper Mario
  20. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
  21. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
  22. Super Mario Strikers
  23. Yoshi's Island
  24. Yoshi's Story
  25. Tetris Attack
  26. Donkey Kong
  27. Donkey Kong Jr.
  28. Donkey Kong (1994)
  29. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  30. Donkey Kong Country
  31. Donkey Kong Country 2
  32. Donkey Kong Country Returns
  33. Diddy Kong Racing
  34. Virtual Boy Wario Land
  35. Wario Land 4
  36. WarioWare Inc: Minigame Mania!
  37. WarioWare Twisted!
  38. Dr. Mario 64
  39. Mario Paint
  40. Super Smash Bros. (N64)
SEASON PASS #01
  • Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
  • Mario Teaches Typing
  • Super Mario Bros. and Friends: When I Grow Up...
  • Mario Clash
  • Metroid: Zero Mission

That will be the model for the pass: 1 Mario game that serves as the Highlight, 2-4 games nobody cares and a non-Mario game cuz why not?

For example: The main attraction for a Season Pass #69 is Donkey Konga and the non-Mario game is F-Zero 64, there's Mobile Tennis GB and Mario Teaches Knitting for the FDS.

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
SEASON PASS #01
  • Super Mario Land 2: Six Golden Coins
  • Mario Teaches Typing
  • Super Mario Bros. and Friends: When I Grow Up...
  • Mario Clash
  • Metroid: Zero Mission

That will be the model for the pass: 1 Mario game that serves as the Highlight, 2-4 games nobody cares and a non-Mario game cuz why not?

For example: The main attraction for a Season Pass #69 is Donkey Konga and the non-Mario game is F-Zero 64, there's Mobile Tennis GB and Mario Teaches Knitting for the FDS.
Could you please stop doing DLC for my rosters? It was fine at first but the last time you did it it eventually escelated to becoming really annoying.

FazDude

Smash Master
I see your Mario collection, I raise you my Crash Bandicoot collection. None of these games are the remasters. I also avoided games that made heavy use of console-specific hardware, which... doesn't exclude a whole lot in the grand scheme of things.
  1. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
  2. Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (PS1)
  3. Crash Bandicoot Warped (PS1)
  4. Crash Bash (PS1)
  5. Crash Team Racing (PS1)
  6. Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (Multiplat)
  7. Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (GBA)
  8. Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (GBA)
  9. Crash Twinsanity (Multiplat)
  10. Crash Nitro Kart (Console)
  11. Crash Nitro Kart (GBA)
  12. Crash Tag Team Racing (Multiplat)
  13. Crash of the Titans (Console)
  14. Crash Mind Over Mutant (Console)
  15. Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (Multiplat)
i really just sat here and listed every crash game except for the ds version of titans, crash boom bang, crash purple, and the mobile games didn't i

DragonRobotKing26

Smash Champion
Comic Book Clash (a platform fighter with Comic Book characters)

1. Superman (DC Universe)
  2. Batman (DC Universe)
  3. Wonder Woman (DC Universe)
  4. Flash (DC Universe)
  5. Spider-Man (Marvel Universe)
  6. Wolverine (Marvel Universe)
  7. Hulk (Marvel Universe)
  8. Iron Man (Marvel Universe)
  9. Garfield (...)
  10. Snoopy (Peanuts)
  11. Asterix (Asterix and Obelix)
  12. Popeye The Sailor Man (...)
  13. Little Lulu (...)
  14. Dennis The Menace (US) (...)
  15. Archie Andrews (Archie Comics)
  16. Sabrina (Archie Comics)
  17. Spawn (...)
  18. The Invincible (...)
  19. Billy Butcher (The Boys)
  20. Tank Girl (...)
  21. Hellboy (...)
  22. The Goon and Franky (The Goon)
  23. Scott Pilgrim (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World)
  24. Calvin and Hobbes (...)
  25. Gertrude (i Hate Fairyland)
  26. Mafalda (...)
  27. Monica (Monica's Gang)
i'm bringing back my platform fighter with Comic Book characters, i decided to bring back because of some characters i didn't put on the roster,so i'll put the missing characters as DLC characters

Fighter Pack 1
  1. Savage Dragon (...)
  2. Ramona Flowers (Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World)
  3. Sara Pezzini (Witchblade)
  4. Rick Grimes (The Walking Dead)
  5. Kick-Ass (...)
  6. Captain America (Marvel Universe)
Fighter Pack 2
  1. Haggar The Horrible (...)
  2. Beetle Bailey (...)
  3. Addison Brody (Tomboy)
  4. Aquaman (DC Universe)
  5. Judge Dredd (...)
  6. Goku (Dragon Ball Z) (guest)

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
What if Capcom made a Dragon Ball Z fighting game back in the 90's?
(italics indicates an unplayable CPU opponent)
Gohan​
Piccolo​
Goku​
Krillin​
Vegeta​
Yamcha​
Tien​
Trunks​
Android 18​
Hercule​
Captain Ginyu
Frieza
Cell
Raditz
Nappa
  • Goku
    • Stage 1: Piccolo
    • Stage 2: Raditz
    • Stage 3: Nappa
    • Stage 4: Vegeta
    • Stage 5: Ginyu
    • Stage 6: Frieza
    • Stage 7: Trunks
    • Stage 8: Gohan
    • Stage 9: Hercule
    • Final Stage: Cell
  • Piccolo
    • Stage 1: Goku
    • Stage 2: Raditz
    • Stage 3: Gohan
    • Stage 4: Nappa
    • Stage 5: Frieza
    • Stage 6: Hercule
    • Stage 7: Yamcha
    • Stage 8: Krillin
    • Stage 9: Tien
    • Stage 10: Vegeta
  • Vegeta
    • Stage 1: Yamcha
    • Stage 2: Tien
    • Stage 3: Piccolo
    • Stage 4: Nappa
    • Stage 5: Goku
    • Stage 6: Gohan
    • Stage 7: Krillin
    • Stage 8: Ginyu
    • Stage 9: Frieza
    • Stage 10: Trunks
    • Stage 11: Android 18
  • Gohan
    • Stage 1: Raditz
    • Stage 2: Piccolo
    • Stage 3: Nappa
    • Stage 5: Ginyu
    • Stage 6: Frieza
    • Stage 7: Goku
    • Stage 8: Hercule
    • Stage 9: Yamcha
    • Stage 10: Krillin
    • Stage 11: Tien
  • Krillin
    • Stage 1: Nappa
    • Stage 2: Vegeta
    • Stage 3: Ginyu
    • Stage 4: Frieza
    • Stage 5: Android 18
    • Stage 8: Tien
    • Stage 9: Piccolo
    • Stage 10: Goku
  • Trunks
    • Stage 1: Android 18
    • Stage 2: Frieza
    • Stage 3: Goku
    • Stage 5: Hercule
    • Stage 6: Yamcha
    • Stage 10: Gohan
  • Yamcha
    • Stage 10: Goku
  • Tien
    • Stage 8: Krillin
  • Android 18
    • Stage 3: Trunks
    • Stage 5: Krillin
  • Hercule
    • Stage 2: Krillin
    • Stage 3: Tien
    • Stage 4: Piccolo
    • Stage 5: Trunks
    • Stage 6: Gohan
    • Stage 7: Vegeta
    • Stage 8: Goku
  • Raditz
    • Stage 1: Piccolo
    • Stage 3: Goku
    • Stage 4: Gohan
    • Stage 5: Yamcha
    • Stage 6: Tien
    • Stage 7: Nappa
    • Stage 8: Vegeta
    • Stage 9: Ginyu
    • Final Stage: Frieza
  • Nappa
    • Stage 3: Piccolo
    • Stage 4: Krillin
    • Stage 5: Gohan
    • Stage 6: Goku
    • Stage 7: Vegeta
    • Stage 8: Ginyu
  • Ginyu
    • Stage 1: Goku
    • Stage 3: Gohan
    • Stage 5: Piccolo
  • Frieza
    • Stage 1: Gohan
    • Stage 2: Piccolo
    • Stage 3: Yamcha
    • Stage 4: Tien
    • Stage 5: Vegeta
    • Stage 6: Krillin
    • Final Stage: Goku
  • Cell
    • Stage 1: Android 18
    • Stage 2: Hercule
    • Stage 3: Yamcha
    • Stage 4: Krillin
    • Stage 5: Tien
    • Stage 6: Piccolo
    • Stage 7: Goku
    • Stage 8: Trunks
    • Stage 9: Vegeta
    • Final Stage: Gohan

Last edited:

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Infinity Gauntlet: Avengers Brawl

Based off the Infinity Gauntlet storyline, with MCU, Sony’s Spider-Man and Earths Mightiest Heroes in addition to it.

Starter Roaster
1.Thanos
2.Spider-Man
3.Star-Lord
4.Gamora
5.Rocket Raccoon
6.Groot
7.Drax
8.Iron-Man
9.Thor
10.Hulk
11.Wasp
12.Ant-Man
13.Captain America
14.Black Panther
15.Hawkeye
16.Black Widow
17.Scarlet Witch
18.Vision
19.Dr.Strange
20.She-Hulk
21.Wolverine
22.Cyclops
23.Captain Marvel
24.Silver Surfer
25.Doctor Doom
26.Adam Warlock

Unlockable Roaster
1.Ultron
2.Venom
3.Miles Morales
4.Ghost-Spider
5.Green Goblin
6.Doctor Octopus
7.Nebula
8.Mantis
9.Quasar
10.War Machine
11.Loki
12.Abomination
13.Bucky
14.Falcon
15.Okoye
16.Quicksilver
17.Wong
18.Storm
19.Kitty
20.Beast
21.Deadpool
22.Magneto
23.Mr.Fantastic
24.Invisible Woman
25.Human Torch
26.Thing
27.Ms Marvel
28.Black Bolt
29.Terrexia
30.Devil Dinosaur

DLC
1.Enchantress
2.Kang the Conqueror
3.Namor
4.Moon Knight
5.Mystique
6.Korg and Meik

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Super Smash Pokemon
we have 9 gens now its a lot so i was thinking how to balance all of them in 30 characters roster i had to choose 3 or 4 from each gen also every type included
:ultpikachu::ultcharizard::ultjigglypuff::ultmewtwo::ultpichu::233::245:Grovyle (PMD)GardevoirRayquaza
:ultlucario:RotomRegigigasZoroarkLandorusKyurem:ultgreninja:AZ's FloetteZygardeDiancie
DecidueyeBuzzwoleMagearnaDragapultZamazentaUrshifuTinkatonCeruledgeKoraidon:132:

Last edited:

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Here's a question that's been asked before now. What if, hypothetically, a Super Smash Bros. game had been released on the DS?

I'll set a few rules outright first and foremost. First up: the game itself would have been released on the original release date planned for Brawl, specifically December 2007. This means development would have had to be finished by around October of that year. Secondly: the game would have similarities to Brawl in how it's presented, but I would think of it more as a companion game as opposed to how both releases of Sm4sh were technically standalone games in their own right. This means it'd take advantage of the connectivity between the DS and the Wii where possible!

So...

Given the DS's limited hardware, I'm going to make the perhaps alarming decision to limit the roster to 18 characters. Whilst it might not seem like very many, I think it'd give us an opportunity to showcase some of Brawl's newcomers, whilst also being able to have plenty of classic picks too.

:luigi2:
:mario2:
:dk2:
:toonlink:
:samus2:
:falcon:
:ness2:
:yoshi2:
:kirby2:
:fox:
:pikachu2:
:lucario:
:bowser2:
:peach:
:sheilda:
:marth:
:wario:
:metaknight:

First things first: no "newcomers"! I felt that Wario, Meta Knight, and Lucario made sense as the actual "newcomers" for this roster overall. I didn't want the game to have too much over Brawl - but it could have some extra content elsewhere. I did, however, make a couple of notable changes here.

I felt the original 12 was a good starting point, though I did consider a couple of cuts here and there.

Link is probably the first particularly notable change here, who I've changed to Toon Link. Whilst Toon Link was probably being at least considered in Brawl's actual release, I felt Toon Link would be a great promotional pick for the DS-based Zelda titles - namely the recently-released Phantom Hourglass and the likely in-development Spirit Tracks, and would also give the roster for this game a pretty unique feel that'd differentiate it from Brawl itself.

Lucario is here replacing the traditional role of Jigglypuff because of the fact that Jigglypuff was originally planned to be cut from Brawl - plus, it adds another notable promotional pick where possible. Notably, Lucario's Aura mechanic wouldn't be brought over here - a method of lessening the processing cost where possible. (I'd also like to point out that I briefly considered replacing Ness with Lucas, but ended up deciding against it because it'd be a good way to still promote Brawl's release.) Lucario just about edged over Pokemon Trainer for two reasons - one, I felt it'd be less demanding on development, and two, I think it would be important to represent Gen IV somehow or other.

As for newcomers - I think starting with Melee newcomers is reasonable. In this case, it was pretty much a process of elimination. My key focuses were two things: no clones where possible, and seeing important and interesting characters where we can. That actually explains why both Bowser and Peach make it in - they have unique movesets, but still have the iconic status that makes them interesting overall. Zelda/Sheik also makes it in - ironically over Ganondorf, who I genuinely considered, but decided against. (I did briefly consider having them based on Tetra and Toon Zelda, but decided against it.) Next up was Marth - I ended up deciding they'd be a cool inclusion to keep around, even over Ike.

And for Brawl newcomers, I went with Wario and Meta Knight. Starting with the latter - I felt a Kirby character would be a logical inclusion, but it kind of came down to the question of "King Dedede or Meta Knight?" I ended up going with the latter purely based on the fact that he was announced sooner in Brawl's reveal cycle, and presumably got developed sooner. As for Wario, a Brawl newcomer that technically represented a new series felt important, and given WarioWare's legacy on handheld consoles, plus the release of WarioWare: Touched! and the upcoming releases of Snapped! and D.I.Y. later down the line, it felt like a solid inclusion to see him here. I came close to having Pit in his place, but Wario felt... logical somehow. No Snake, yes - but I think he makes sense as a Brawl exclusive to keep interest in that product! Diddy was a regrettable, but necessary, cut.

I feel like people don't give Brawl enough credit for having 41 DAMN STAGES? Yeah! Well... we're going to have to cut it down a little here. However, I feel like it'd also be useful to have the game have a few unique stages - partially because of the lack of newcomer characters, but also because of the lack of hardware power. Stages like Rumble Falls spring to mind as an example of this - I'm going to presume the DS might not have been able to handle the scrolling, and the small screen wouldn't help much. As such... I think I'll limit the number here to 21 stages. Still gives us a lot of creative license! Stages not featured in Brawl will be indicated in bold.

• Battlefield (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • Final Destination (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • World 1 (New Super Mario Bros.) - A fairly basic stage layout that notably doesn't scroll.
  • Figure-8 Circuit (Mario Kart DS)
  • Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's Mansion)
  • Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
  • Jungle Japes (Donkey Kong Country & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Pirate Ship (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker) - No cannon towers.
  • Bridge of Eldin (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • Norfair (Metroid Prime)
  • Green Greens (Kirby's Dream Land & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Halberd (Kirby Super Star) - Only takes place on the deck of the Halberd itself.
  • Corneria (Star Fox 64 & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon Stadium & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Big Blue (F-Zero X & Super Smash Bros. Melee) - Only takes place on Captain Falcon's ship.
  • Onett (EarthBound & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Castle Seige (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade) - Only takes place on the first form.
  • WarioWare Inc. (WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgame$!) - Only has three minigames, and lacks the X & O effect.
  • PictoChat (PictoChat) - There's only five different forms - Normal, Fire, Springs, Carnival Ride and Singing Man.
  • Hanenbow (Hanenbow) - The stage only takes place on the central tree.
  • Flat Zone 2 (Game & Watch)

Notably, I felt World 1 would be a logical inclusion to replace Mushroomy Kingdom - partially because of cross-promotion, but also to be a pretty unique selling point. Maybe in this world, if you could connect your DS to your Wii, you'd unlock World 1 as a bonus stage in Brawl (as well as doing it in-game.) Most of the stages I picked were either for the reasons of them being simplistic enough to work on a small screen, or for the reason of them being a reasonably good representation of their series with limited development. A lot of Melee content ended up getting in as a result - given 6 stages here are Melee stages - but I felt stages like Jungle Japes, Green Greens and Big Blue acted as better representatives and more logical picks for the smaller screen. This was a difficult one to pick from, because I think the loss of Smashville is pretty big considering Animal Crossing's importance - but it was kind of important that each character, where possible, had their own stage.

Similarly to Smash 64, we're not really going to be able to include full-on recordings of songs - which was possible in Melee and Brawl and allowed live orchestral covers where possible. Now, I think there's a solid way of working around this - and once again, I'm going to take inspiration from one of my creature comforts, Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing, to showcase my thought process.

These are, well, basically covers of Can You Feel The Sunshine? from Sonic R and Fly Like a Butterfly from Jet Set Radio Future that, firstly, I think really showcases how neat the DS's sound capabilities actually are, and secondly, gives an indication of how music might sound through a game like this! I think it'd be a solid idea for each stage to have two unique music tracks associated with it, perhaps with you being able to unlock a track after playing on the stage for a certain number of times. So, here's the list:

Battlefield

Final Destination

World 1

Figure-8 Circuit

Luigi's Mansion

Yoshi's Island

Jungle Japes

Pirate Ship

Bridge of Eldin

Norfair

Green Greens

Halberd

Corneria

Pokemon Stadium

Big Blue

Onett

Castle Seige

WarioWare Inc.

PictoChat

Hanenbow

Flat Zone 2

There were some tough decisions here, but I ended up prioritising DS-based titles where I could (hence the inclusion of music from Metroid Prime: Hunters and Phantom Hourglass) - and trying not to include too many new arrangements (as much as I wanted to see an EarthBound battle theme) was key as well. Also: I think it'd be cool if certain songs that are exclusive to this version, such as the Game and Watch Gallery title theme and Count Cannoli's boss theme, would also be straight-ported from their original forms into Brawl. Just to make sure everything's there! I considered having an Other category, or adding third songs to some stages, but it felt a little unfair to do so.

Also like, I came embarrassingly close to putting in the DSi Shop theme in PictoChat, not realising the DSi was released over a year later. OOPS. I think Brain Age was a good fit, though.

One thing I think we don't give the Smash series enough credit for is their items. Whilst a few different items in this version of the game would obviously be cut (like the CDs for example), there'd still be a nice and wide variety of different items to pick from.

• Assist Trophies (which I'll get into!)
  • Pokeball (which I'll... also get into!)
  • Barrels (which essentially replace Crates here)
  • Exploding Crates
  • Sandbag
  • Food
  • Maxim Tomato
  • Heart Container
  • Mega Mushroom
  • Poison Mushroom
  • Super Star
  • Metal Box
  • Bunny Hood
  • Superspicy Curry
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Beam Sword
  • Home-Run Bat
  • Lip's Stick
  • Star Rod
  • Golden Hammer
  • Super Scope
  • Fire Flower
  • Bob-Omb
  • Deku Nut
  • Freezie
  • Smoke Bomb
  • Hothead
  • Mr. Saturn
  • Green Shell
  • Banana Peel
  • Bumper
  • Unira
  • Soccer Ball
  • Franklin Badge
  • Screw Attack

You'll notice a few glaring omissions. I ended up deciding the Motion-Sensor Bomb wouldn't be fair given the small screen size we're working with, because it'd be difficult to see. Some items with similar properties or appearances, like the Hammer, the Great Ball, and the Ray Gun, also got the cut so as to save on development time. Stuff like the Smart Bomb and Dragoon I felt might be too graphically intensive - and yes, the Smash Ball isn't getting included, it's remaining a Brawl-exclusive thing. However - here's the thing. Assist Trophies and Pokeballs are still on the table! So...

• Waluigi
  • Hammer Bro
  • Tingle
  • Metroid
  • Knuckle Joe
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Lyn
  • Jeff
  • Starfy
  • Dr. Wright
  • Helirin
  • Excitebikes
  • Barbera
  • Infantry & Tanks
  • Saki Amamiya

My thought process behind these trophies is basically who would be unique enough to stand out on a small screen, whilst also not being too graphically intensive or invasive. The first reason is why characters like Little Mac and and Ray MKIII ended up being cut - the second reason being why characters like Mr. Resetti and Nintendog got cut. I really wanted to keep those four, but I couldn't justify it. As for why there's no newcomers - I felt it'd feel a little unfair to see them here and not in Brawl.

• Meowth
  • Electrode
  • Snorlax (albeit changed to be a melee move as opposed to being a full-screen move)
  • Moltres
  • Mew
  • Chikorita
  • Togepi
  • Bellossom
  • Entei
  • Suicune
  • Lugia (similarly to Snorlax, Lugia doesn't enter the background layer and instead attacks sideways)
  • Ho-Oh (see above)
  • Torchic
  • Gardevoir
  • Metagross
  • Latias and Latios
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Jirachi (albeit items instead of trophies)
  • Deoxys (albeit in normal form as opposed to Attack Forme)
  • Piplup
  • Bonsly
  • Munchlax
  • Weavile
As with my points on Assist Trophies, the Pokemon omitted from this lineup are omitted either because it might be difficult to pick them out from a lineup (like Celebi compared to Jirachi) or that they might be too graphically intensive. However, for some of these, I've changed their moves slightly to fit (namely Snorlax, Lugia and Ho-Oh.)

Okay, let's make this very clear from the off - 3D models aren't going to work. Sorry. I think having a system similar to Spirits, albeit with the benefits of the Trophy system (namely the little descriptions) would be great. Now, the sudden addition of tons of image files would take a while to list out - so just basically picture it as the majority of stickers and trophies represented through their official character art, as well as a few bonus ones that - when connected to Brawl - would unlock full trophies. Similarly to Sm4sh on 3DS, the unique additions here would have a mostly handheld theme to them. Also... yeah, no Masterpieces. Sorry about that.

I think having Subspace be a Brawl exclusive makes a lot of sense. With this being more of a handheld title, it'd be important to include more single-player modes - as much as I'd like to bring back something like Board the Platforms, I ended up deciding that Stage Builder would be key. (Using the touch screen would be an awesome way to do so.) Also, it'd be awesome to see DS Download Play being used to facilitate local multiplayer!

I was giving it some thought and I think seeing a toned-down story mode similar to Melee's Adventure Mode would be a solid way to handle this - albeit with new stages. It'd still be similar though.

I'll leave it there for now. I might come back to this and handle things like modes and trophies in a short while.

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax was published by SEGA and has quite the amount of SEGA **** in it so I say let's just go full hog and imagine a scenario in which it actually is a straight-up 2D SEGA crossover fighter released in 2014

Keeping to the same amount of characters and reps per series:

Base Roster:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Dr. Eggman (Sonic the Hedgehog)
3. Sakura Shinguji (Sakura Wars)
4. Arle Nadja (Puyo Puyo)
5. Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
6. Alex Kidd
7. NiGHTS
8. Ulala (Space Channel 5)
9. Akira Yuki (Virtua Fighter)
10. Elenor Camuel (Phantasy Star Online)
11. Harrier (Space Harrier)
12. Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
13. Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
14. Magician Type-0 (The House of the Dead)

Characters added through updates, DLC, stuff like that

15. Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog)
16. Satan (Puyo Puyo)
17. Erica Fontaine (Sakura Wars)
18. Temjin (Cyber Troopers Virtual-ON)
19. Sakuya (Shining Hearts)
20. Hotsuma (Shinobi)

Might do stages and assists later idk

Last edited:

FazDude

Smash Master
Okay, so I'm gonna do an idea I had for a while - Platformer Panic.

This, despite what the name might suggest, is not a platform fighter. Rather, I imagine it being a 2D platformer/party game, similar to the Mario vs. Luigi mode in New Super Mario Bros. The roster is a crossover of many different characters hailing from primarily platforming series - 2D or 3D doesn't matter, but platforming must be a part of that series' core identity.

I decided to go big with this roster because doing a platformer character would probably take much less work than designing a fighting game character. Also, one character per series.
  1. Mario (Super Mario)
  2. Donkey Kong (...)
  3. Samus (Metroid)
  4. Yoshi (...)
  5. Kirby (...)
  6. Wario (Wario Land)
  7. Balloon Fighter (Balloon Fight)
  8. Ice Climber (...)
  9. Chibi-Robo (...)
  10. Starfy (The Legendary Starfy)
  11. Pit (Kit Icarus, uses classic design)
  1. Voodoo Vince (...)
  2. Raz (Psychonauts)
  3. Blinx (Blinx the Time Sweeper)
  4. Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo-Kazooie)
  5. Conker (...)
  6. Kuros (Wizards and Warriors)
  1. Sackboy (LittleBigPlanet)
  2. Rachet & Clank (...)
  3. Jak and Daxter (...)
  4. Sly Cooper (...)
  5. Spike (Ape Escape)
  6. Knack (...)
  1. Sonic (Sonic the Hedgehog, uses classic design)
  2. Alex Kidd (...)
  3. Vectorman (...)
  4. Ristar (...)
  5. Billy Hatcher (...)
  6. Woody (WIIIIIIIIILD Woody)
  7. Bug (Bug!)
  8. AiAi (Super Monkey Ball)
  9. Red (Gunstar Heroes)
  10. Dynamite Headdy (...)
  1. Bub (Bubble Bobble)
  2. Gex (...)
  3. Balan (Balan Wonderworld)
  4. Rayman (...)
  5. Ed (Tonic Trouble)
  6. Mega Man (...)
  7. Sir Arthur (Ghosts n' Goblins)
  8. Crash (Crash Bandicoot)
  9. Spyro (Spyro the Dragon)
  10. Pitfall Harry (Pitfall)
  11. Mappy (...)
  12. Klonoa (...)
  13. Simon (Castlevania)
  14. Master Higgins (Adventure Island)
  15. Bill Rizer (Contra)
  16. Alfred Chicken (...)
  17. Awesome Possum (...)
  18. Bonk (...)
  19. Boogerman (...)
  20. Bubsy (...)
  21. Earthworm Jim (...)
  22. Giana (The Great Giana Sisters)
  23. James Pond (...)
  24. Lester (Lester the Unlikely)
  25. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden, uses NES design)
  26. Mr. Nutz (...)
  27. Abe (Oddworld)
  28. Zool (...)
  29. Pulseman (...)
  30. Miner Willy (...)
  1. Shovel Knight (...)
  2. Shantae (...)
  3. The Knight (Hollow Knight)
  4. Madeline (Celeste)
  5. Tim (Braid)
  6. Yooka & Laylee (Yooka-Laylee)
  7. Ori (...)
  8. Guy Spelunky (Spelunky)
  9. Cuphead (...)
  10. Duck (Duck Game)
  11. Fancy Pants (Fancy Pants Adventures)
  12. Lilac (Freedom Planet)
  13. The Kid (I Wanna Be The Guy)
  14. Beck (Mighty No. 9)
  15. Crow (Nefarious)
  16. Peppino (Pizza Tower)
  17. Captain Virdian (VVVVVV)
  18. Hat Kid (A Hat in Time)
  19. Anton (Antonball/blast, uses Blast design)
  20. Max (Mutant Mudds)
  21. Elephant (This Is The Only Level)
  1. Croc (Croc: Legend of the Gobbos)
  2. Lucky (Super Lucky's Tale)
  3. Aero the Acrobat (...)
  4. Glover (...)
  5. Plok (...)
  6. Strider Hiryu (Strider)
  1. Miriam (Bloodstained)
  2. Gunvolt (Azure Striker Gunvolt)
  3. Beebz (Demon Turf)
  4. Jazz Jackrabbit (...)
  5. Space Panicker (Space Panic)
  6. Annalynn (...)
Altogether, this is 84 characters (96 counting the DLC Packs) - Not bad!

Shoutouts to the Lost Vikings (who would be cool additions, but I don't know how a 3-in-1 character would work in this setting) and Pac-Man (who you could argue is eligible due to the World games, but the majority of his identity comes from the arcade titles to most folks).

Last edited:

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend

This, despite what the name might suggest, is not a platform fighter. Rather, I imagine it being a 2D platformer/party game, similar to the Mario vs. Luigi mode in New Super Mario Bros. The roster is a crossover of many different characters hailing from primarily platforming series - 2D or 3D doesn't matter, but platforming must be a part of that series' core identity.

I decided to go big with this roster because doing a platformer character would probably take much less work than designing a fighting game character. Also, one character per series.
  1. Mario (Super Mario)
  2. Donkey Kong (...)
  3. Samus (Metroid)
  4. Yoshi (...)
  5. Kirby (...)
  6. Wario (Wario Land)
  8. Ice Climber (...)
  9. Chibi-Robo (...)
  1. Voodoo Vince (...)
  2. Raz (Psychonauts)
  5. Conker (...)
  7. Miner Willy (...)
  2. Rachet & Clank (...)
  3. Jak and Daxter (...)
  4. Sly Cooper (...)
  5. Spike (Ape Escape)
  6. Knack (...)
  2. Alex Kidd (...)
  3. Vectorman (...)
  4. Ristar (...)
  5. Billy Hatcher (...)
  7. Bug (Bug!)
  1. Bub (Bubble Bobble)
  2. Gex (...)
  4. Rayman (...)
  5. Ed (Tonic Trouble)
  6. Mega Man (...)
  11. Mappy (...)
  12. Klonoa (...)
  13. Simon (Castlevania)
  15. Bill Rizer (Contra)
  16. Alfred Chicken (...)
  17. Red (Gunstar Heroes)
  18. Dynamite Headdy (...)
  19. Awesome Possum (...)
  20. Bonk (...)
  21. Boogerman (...)
  22. Bubsy (...)
  23. Earthworm Jim (...)
  24. Giana (The Great Giana Sisters)
  25. James Pond (...)
  26. Lester (Lester the Unlikely)
  27. Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden, uses NES design)
  28. Mr. Nutz (...)
  29. Abe (Oddworld)
  30. Zool (...)
  31. Pulseman (...)
  1. Shovel Knight (...)
  2. Shantae (...)
  4. Madeline (Celeste)
  5. Tim (Braid)
  7. Ori (...)
  9. Cuphead (...)
  10. Duck (Duck Game)
  14. Beck (Mighty No. 9)
  15. Crow (Nefarious)
  20. Max (Mutant Mudds)
Altogether, this is 84 characters - Not bad!

Shoutouts to the Lost Vikings (who would be cool additions, but I don't know how a 3-in-1 character would work in this setting) and Pac-Man (who you could argue is eligible due to the World games, but the majority of his identity comes from the arcade titles to most folks).
Miner Willy isn't a Microsoft character - either way this is really cool!

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905

1. Mario (Super Mario)
  2. Donkey Kong (...)
  3. Samus (Metroid)
  4. Yoshi (...)
  5. Kirby (...)
  6. Wario (Wario Land)
  8. Ice Climber (...)
  9. Chibi-Robo (...)
  1. Voodoo Vince (...)
  2. Raz (Psychonauts)
  5. Conker (...)
  7. Miner Willy (...)
  2. Rachet & Clank (...)
  3. Jak and Daxter (...)
  4. Sly Cooper (...)
  5. Spike (Ape Escape)
  6. Knack (...)
  2. Alex Kidd (...)
  3. Vectorman (...)
  4. Ristar (...)
  5. Billy Hatcher (...)
  7. Bug (Bug!)
  1. Bub (Bubble Bobble)
  2. Gex (...)
  4. Rayman (...)
  5. Ed (Tonic Trouble)
  6. Mega Man (...)
  11. Mappy (...)
  12. Klonoa (...)
  13. Simon (Castlevania)
  15. Bill Rizer (Contra)
  16. Alfred Chicken (...)
  17. Red (Gunstar Heroes)
  19. Awesome Possum (...)
  20. Bonk (...)
  21. Boogerman (...)
  22. Bubsy (...)
  23. Earthworm Jim (...)
  25. James Pond (...)
  28. Mr. Nutz (...)
  29. Abe (Oddworld)
  30. Zool (...)
  31. Pulseman (...)
  1. Shovel Knight (...)
  2. Shantae (...)
  4. Madeline (Celeste)
  5. Tim (Braid)
  7. Ori (...)
  9. Cuphead (...)
  10. Duck (Duck Game)
  14. Beck (Mighty No. 9)
  15. Crow (Nefarious)
  20. Max (Mutant Mudds)

This reminds of Super Clash Bros. You should totally check that out if you haven’t heard of it~

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514

1. Mario (Super Mario)
  2. Donkey Kong (...)
  3. Samus (Metroid)
  4. Yoshi (...)
  5. Kirby (...)
  6. Wario (Wario Land)
  8. Ice Climber (...)
  9. Chibi-Robo (...)
  1. Voodoo Vince (...)
  2. Raz (Psychonauts)
  5. Conker (...)
  2. Rachet & Clank (...)
  3. Jak and Daxter (...)
  4. Sly Cooper (...)
  5. Spike (Ape Escape)
  6. Knack (...)
  2. Alex Kidd (...)
  3. Vectorman (...)
  4. Ristar (...)
  5. Billy Hatcher (...)
  7. Bug (Bug!)
  1. Bub (Bubble Bobble)
  2. Gex (...)
  4. Rayman (...)
  5. Ed (Tonic Trouble)
  6. Mega Man (...)
  11. Mappy (...)
  12. Klonoa (...)
  13. Simon (Castlevania)
  15. Bill Rizer (Contra)
  16. Alfred Chicken (...)
  17. Red (Gunstar Heroes)
  19. Awesome Possum (...)
  20. Bonk (...)
  21. Boogerman (...)
  22. Bubsy (...)
  23. Earthworm Jim (...)
  25. James Pond (...)
  28. Mr. Nutz (...)
  29. Abe (Oddworld)
  30. Zool (...)
  31. Pulseman (...)
  32. Miner Willy (...)
  1. Shovel Knight (...)
  2. Shantae (...)
  4. Madeline (Celeste)
  5. Tim (Braid)
  7. Ori (...)
  9. Cuphead (...)
  10. Duck (Duck Game)
  14. Beck (Mighty No. 9)
  15. Crow (Nefarious)
  20. Max (Mutant Mudds)

For the record, Gunstar Red and Headdy are owned by SEGA

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
My bad! I knew Treasure developed them, but I wasn't 100% sure if that company was Sega-owned, so I just played it safe. Regardless, it will be fixed - Thanks for the heads-up!
Oh, Treasure aren't owned by SEGA! But they did make a few games for SEGA that the latter owns - namely Gunstar/Guardian Heroes, Dynamite Headdy and Alien Soldier

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Here's a question that's been asked before now. What if, hypothetically, a Super Smash Bros. game had been released on the DS?

I'll set a few rules outright first and foremost. First up: the game itself would have been released on the original release date planned for Brawl, specifically December 2007. This means development would have had to be finished by around October of that year. Secondly: the game would have similarities to Brawl in how it's presented, but I would think of it more as a companion game as opposed to how both releases of Sm4sh were technically standalone games in their own right. This means it'd take advantage of the connectivity between the DS and the Wii where possible!

So...

Given the DS's limited hardware, I'm going to make the perhaps alarming decision to limit the roster to 18 characters. Whilst it might not seem like very many, I think it'd give us an opportunity to showcase some of Brawl's newcomers, whilst also being able to have plenty of classic picks too.

:luigi2:
:mario2:
:dk2:
:toonlink:
:samus2:
:falcon:
:ness2:
:yoshi2:
:kirby2:
:fox:
:pikachu2:
:lucario:
:bowser2:
:peach:
:sheilda:
:marth:
:wario:
:metaknight:

First things first: no "newcomers"! I felt that Wario, Meta Knight, and Lucario made sense as the actual "newcomers" for this roster overall. I didn't want the game to have too much over Brawl - but it could have some extra content elsewhere. I did, however, make a couple of notable changes here.

I felt the original 12 was a good starting point, though I did consider a couple of cuts here and there.

Link is probably the first particularly notable change here, who I've changed to Toon Link. Whilst Toon Link was probably being at least considered in Brawl's actual release, I felt Toon Link would be a great promotional pick for the DS-based Zelda titles - namely the recently-released Phantom Hourglass and the likely in-development Spirit Tracks, and would also give the roster for this game a pretty unique feel that'd differentiate it from Brawl itself.

Lucario is here replacing the traditional role of Jigglypuff because of the fact that Jigglypuff was originally planned to be cut from Brawl - plus, it adds another notable promotional pick where possible. Notably, Lucario's Aura mechanic wouldn't be brought over here - a method of lessening the processing cost where possible. (I'd also like to point out that I briefly considered replacing Ness with Lucas, but ended up deciding against it because it'd be a good way to still promote Brawl's release.) Lucario just about edged over Pokemon Trainer for two reasons - one, I felt it'd be less demanding on development, and two, I think it would be important to represent Gen IV somehow or other.

As for newcomers - I think starting with Melee newcomers is reasonable. In this case, it was pretty much a process of elimination. My key focuses were two things: no clones where possible, and seeing important and interesting characters where we can. That actually explains why both Bowser and Peach make it in - they have unique movesets, but still have the iconic status that makes them interesting overall. Zelda/Sheik also makes it in - ironically over Ganondorf, who I genuinely considered, but decided against. (I did briefly consider having them based on Tetra and Toon Zelda, but decided against it.) Next up was Marth - I ended up deciding they'd be a cool inclusion to keep around, even over Ike.

And for Brawl newcomers, I went with Wario and Meta Knight. Starting with the latter - I felt a Kirby character would be a logical inclusion, but it kind of came down to the question of "King Dedede or Meta Knight?" I ended up going with the latter purely based on the fact that he was announced sooner in Brawl's reveal cycle, and presumably got developed sooner. As for Wario, a Brawl newcomer that technically represented a new series felt important, and given WarioWare's legacy on handheld consoles, plus the release of WarioWare: Touched! and the upcoming releases of Snapped! and D.I.Y. later down the line, it felt like a solid inclusion to see him here. I came close to having Pit in his place, but Wario felt... logical somehow. No Snake, yes - but I think he makes sense as a Brawl exclusive to keep interest in that product! Diddy was a regrettable, but necessary, cut.

I feel like people don't give Brawl enough credit for having 41 DAMN STAGES? Yeah! Well... we're going to have to cut it down a little here. However, I feel like it'd also be useful to have the game have a few unique stages - partially because of the lack of newcomer characters, but also because of the lack of hardware power. Stages like Rumble Falls spring to mind as an example of this - I'm going to presume the DS might not have been able to handle the scrolling, and the small screen wouldn't help much. As such... I think I'll limit the number here to 21 stages. Still gives us a lot of creative license! Stages not featured in Brawl will be indicated in bold.

• Battlefield (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • Final Destination (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
  • World 1 (New Super Mario Bros.) - A fairly basic stage layout that notably doesn't scroll.
  • Figure-8 Circuit (Mario Kart DS)
  • Luigi's Mansion (Luigi's Mansion)
  • Yoshi's Island (Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island)
  • Jungle Japes (Donkey Kong Country & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Pirate Ship (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker) - No cannon towers.
  • Bridge of Eldin (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
  • Norfair (Metroid Prime)
  • Green Greens (Kirby's Dream Land & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Halberd (Kirby Super Star) - Only takes place on the deck of the Halberd itself.
  • Corneria (Star Fox 64 & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Pokemon Stadium (Pokemon Stadium & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Big Blue (F-Zero X & Super Smash Bros. Melee) - Only takes place on Captain Falcon's ship.
  • Onett (EarthBound & Super Smash Bros. Melee)
  • Castle Seige (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade) - Only takes place on the first form.
  • WarioWare Inc. (WarioWare Inc. Mega Microgame$!) - Only has three minigames, and lacks the X & O effect.
  • PictoChat (PictoChat) - There's only five different forms - Normal, Fire, Springs, Carnival Ride and Singing Man.
  • Hanenbow (Hanenbow) - The stage only takes place on the central tree.
  • Flat Zone 2 (Game & Watch)

Notably, I felt World 1 would be a logical inclusion to replace Mushroomy Kingdom - partially because of cross-promotion, but also to be a pretty unique selling point. Maybe in this world, if you could connect your DS to your Wii, you'd unlock World 1 as a bonus stage in Brawl (as well as doing it in-game.) Most of the stages I picked were either for the reasons of them being simplistic enough to work on a small screen, or for the reason of them being a reasonably good representation of their series with limited development. A lot of Melee content ended up getting in as a result - given 6 stages here are Melee stages - but I felt stages like Jungle Japes, Green Greens and Big Blue acted as better representatives and more logical picks for the smaller screen. This was a difficult one to pick from, because I think the loss of Smashville is pretty big considering Animal Crossing's importance - but it was kind of important that each character, where possible, had their own stage.

Similarly to Smash 64, we're not really going to be able to include full-on recordings of songs - which was possible in Melee and Brawl and allowed live orchestral covers where possible. Now, I think there's a solid way of working around this - and once again, I'm going to take inspiration from one of my creature comforts, Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Racing, to showcase my thought process.

These are, well, basically covers of Can You Feel The Sunshine? from Sonic R and Fly Like a Butterfly from Jet Set Radio Future that, firstly, I think really showcases how neat the DS's sound capabilities actually are, and secondly, gives an indication of how music might sound through a game like this! I think it'd be a solid idea for each stage to have two unique music tracks associated with it, perhaps with you being able to unlock a track after playing on the stage for a certain number of times. So, here's the list:

Battlefield

Final Destination

World 1

Figure-8 Circuit

Luigi's Mansion

Yoshi's Island

Jungle Japes

Pirate Ship

Bridge of Eldin

Norfair

Green Greens

Halberd

Corneria

Pokemon Stadium

Big Blue

Onett

Castle Seige

WarioWare Inc.

PictoChat

Hanenbow

Flat Zone 2

There were some tough decisions here, but I ended up prioritising DS-based titles where I could (hence the inclusion of music from Metroid Prime: Hunters and Phantom Hourglass) - and trying not to include too many new arrangements (as much as I wanted to see an EarthBound battle theme) was key as well. Also: I think it'd be cool if certain songs that are exclusive to this version, such as the Game and Watch Gallery title theme and Count Cannoli's boss theme, would also be straight-ported from their original forms into Brawl. Just to make sure everything's there! I considered having an Other category, or adding third songs to some stages, but it felt a little unfair to do so.

Also like, I came embarrassingly close to putting in the DSi Shop theme in PictoChat, not realising the DSi was released over a year later. OOPS. I think Brain Age was a good fit, though.

One thing I think we don't give the Smash series enough credit for is their items. Whilst a few different items in this version of the game would obviously be cut (like the CDs for example), there'd still be a nice and wide variety of different items to pick from.

• Assist Trophies (which I'll get into!)
  • Pokeball (which I'll... also get into!)
  • Barrels (which essentially replace Crates here)
  • Exploding Crates
  • Sandbag
  • Food
  • Maxim Tomato
  • Heart Container
  • Mega Mushroom
  • Poison Mushroom
  • Super Star
  • Metal Box
  • Bunny Hood
  • Superspicy Curry
  • Lightning Bolt
  • Beam Sword
  • Home-Run Bat
  • Lip's Stick
  • Star Rod
  • Golden Hammer
  • Super Scope
  • Fire Flower
  • Bob-Omb
  • Deku Nut
  • Freezie
  • Smoke Bomb
  • Hothead
  • Mr. Saturn
  • Green Shell
  • Banana Peel
  • Bumper
  • Unira
  • Soccer Ball
  • Franklin Badge
  • Screw Attack

You'll notice a few glaring omissions. I ended up deciding the Motion-Sensor Bomb wouldn't be fair given the small screen size we're working with, because it'd be difficult to see. Some items with similar properties or appearances, like the Hammer, the Great Ball, and the Ray Gun, also got the cut so as to save on development time. Stuff like the Smart Bomb and Dragoon I felt might be too graphically intensive - and yes, the Smash Ball isn't getting included, it's remaining a Brawl-exclusive thing. However - here's the thing. Assist Trophies and Pokeballs are still on the table! So...

• Waluigi
  • Hammer Bro
  • Tingle
  • Metroid
  • Knuckle Joe
  • Samurai Goroh
  • Lyn
  • Jeff
  • Starfy
  • Dr. Wright
  • Helirin
  • Excitebikes
  • Barbera
  • Infantry & Tanks
  • Saki Amamiya

My thought process behind these trophies is basically who would be unique enough to stand out on a small screen, whilst also not being too graphically intensive or invasive. The first reason is why characters like Little Mac and and Ray MKIII ended up being cut - the second reason being why characters like Mr. Resetti and Nintendog got cut. I really wanted to keep those four, but I couldn't justify it. As for why there's no newcomers - I felt it'd feel a little unfair to see them here and not in Brawl.

• Meowth
  • Electrode
  • Snorlax (albeit changed to be a melee move as opposed to being a full-screen move)
  • Moltres
  • Mew
  • Chikorita
  • Togepi
  • Bellossom
  • Entei
  • Suicune
  • Lugia (similarly to Snorlax, Lugia doesn't enter the background layer and instead attacks sideways)
  • Ho-Oh (see above)
  • Torchic
  • Gardevoir
  • Metagross
  • Latias and Latios
  • Kyogre
  • Groudon
  • Jirachi (albeit items instead of trophies)
  • Deoxys (albeit in normal form as opposed to Attack Forme)
  • Piplup
  • Bonsly
  • Munchlax
  • Weavile
As with my points on Assist Trophies, the Pokemon omitted from this lineup are omitted either because it might be difficult to pick them out from a lineup (like Celebi compared to Jirachi) or that they might be too graphically intensive. However, for some of these, I've changed their moves slightly to fit (namely Snorlax, Lugia and Ho-Oh.)

Okay, let's make this very clear from the off - 3D models aren't going to work. Sorry. I think having a system similar to Spirits, albeit with the benefits of the Trophy system (namely the little descriptions) would be great. Now, the sudden addition of tons of image files would take a while to list out - so just basically picture it as the majority of stickers and trophies represented through their official character art, as well as a few bonus ones that - when connected to Brawl - would unlock full trophies. Similarly to Sm4sh on 3DS, the unique additions here would have a mostly handheld theme to them. Also... yeah, no Masterpieces. Sorry about that.

I think having Subspace be a Brawl exclusive makes a lot of sense. With this being more of a handheld title, it'd be important to include more single-player modes - as much as I'd like to bring back something like Board the Platforms, I ended up deciding that Stage Builder would be key. (Using the touch screen would be an awesome way to do so.) Also, it'd be awesome to see DS Download Play being used to facilitate local multiplayer!

I was giving it some thought and I think seeing a toned-down story mode similar to Melee's Adventure Mode would be a solid way to handle this - albeit with new stages. It'd still be similar though.

I'll leave it there for now. I might come back to this and handle things like modes and trophies in a short while.
I feel like Game & Watch would have been an easy selection to make, since he'd require the least processing power and is the first handheld character in Nintendo's history.
I would probably cut Ness for him, all things considered.
I love the concept of a DS Smash, though, ajd it would have been really interesting to see all the way back when.

PinkFlare

Previously 1SecondNinja
Forgot to bring it up just a second ago but I fixed it. Luke is now in place instead of Ken

Justoneguyhere1999

Smash Journeyman
Inspired by the conflict between Sonic Frontiers and Genshin Impact going on at the Game awards. Decided to make a roster game on both of them as a crossover fighting game. The gameplay will mostly be like MVC3.

Sonic vs Genshin - Worlds at War

Genshin Impact:

Lumine
Aether
Amber
Kaeya
Lisa
Jean
Raiden Shogun
Tartaglia
Klee
Ganyu
Barbara
Zhongli
Diluc
Kujou Sara
Noelle
Venti
Xianling
Razor
Mona
Xiao
Arataki Itto
Rosario
Ningqing
Beidou
Sucrose
Benett
Eula
Collei
Candace
Scaramouche
Kazuha
Hu Tao

Sonic the Hedgehog:
Sonic
Tails
Knuckles
Amy Rose
Cream the Rabbit
Big the Cat
Shadow
Blaze the Cat
Sliver
Metal Sonic
Eggman
Rouge
Omega
Vector
Espio
Charmy
Chaos 0
Emerl
Zavok
Jet the Hawk
Infinite
Classic Sonic
Mighty
Ray
Tangle the Lemur
Whisper the Wolf
E-102 Gamma
Zazz
Mephiles
Sage
Sticks
Surge the Tenrec

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Fire Emblem: Gauntlet of Flames
Marth​
Caeda​
(Adult) Tiki​
Gharnef​
Alm​
Celica​
Sigurd​
Julius​
Roy​
Lilina​
Lyn​
Hector​
Ephraim​
Eirika​
Ike​
Micaiah​
Robin​
Lucina​
Corrin​
Byleth​
Season 1Season 2Season 3
  1. Anna​
  2. Edelgard​
  3. Dimitri​
  4. Claude​
  1. Kiran​
  2. Leif​
  3. Nino​
  4. Azura​
  1. Jedah​
  2. Lyon​
  3. Oliver​
  4. Walhart​

Last edited:

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Marth​
Caeda​
(Adult) Tiki​
Gharnef​
Alm​
Celica​
Sigurd​
Julius​
Roy​
Lilina​
Lyn​
Hector​
Ephraim​
Eirika​
Ike​
Micaiah​
Robin​
Lucina​
Corrin​
Byleth​
Season 1Season 2Season 3
  1. Anna​
  2. Edelgard​
  3. Dimitri​
  4. Claude​
  1. Kiran​
  2. Leif​
  3. Fae​
  4. Azura​
  1. Jedah​
  2. Lyon​
  3. Oliver​
  4. Walhart​
Zeke and Pandoria should be guest characters.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
While I'm running a thread about an animanga fighting game, I want to share my own roster!
In order from left to right.

Seiya (Saint Seiya): Very iconic series, particulary in Latin American where I'm from is huge with tons of followers.
Ryo Saeba (City Hunter): A character more or less added just for filling but it was one of the most interesing additions in Jump Force so I decided to roll with him.
Kenshiro (Hokuto no Ken): One of the major exponents of the fighting series that inspired multiple stories, he is also a big badass.
Luffy (One Piece): Of course if there are characters that must be here no matter what Luffy is one of them. Heis also one of the most "unique" fighters for say it in some way since his style isn't just a normal martial art, something related with swords or throw beams.
Goku (Dragon Ball): Definitively the face of all this, usually refered has the father of the shonen (especifically the neketsu) is THE anime character that everyone knows.
Naruto (...): Another character that is like a must have here, forming some sort of triad with Luffy and Goku between the main faces of the Shonen Jump.
Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders): While I prefer more Giorno and Josuke than Jotaro he is between all the Jojos the most well knowed so he is pretty much the correct option when someone wants to represent JJBA.
Yugi Muto (Yu-Gi-Oh!): The franchise is ENORMEOUS and is similar to Jotaro in terms of, even if I prefer other protagonists Yugi is the obvious face. His playstyle would also be very unique making use of a predeterminated deck requiring to build a strategy.
Ichigo (Bleach): The original member of this "Jump Triad", the series started to get attention again with the adaptation of the final arc of the series and is in general a very popular franchise.
Lum Invader (Urusei Yatsura): A rep of the 70's and a more comedy-focused character being her series more of a slice of life. Still, she has her own ways to fight.
Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Gundam): This guy is so relevant that basically created a whole trope for the Mecha genre. Gundam is also a series that was a no-brainer to include here and even if one of the mechs where a tentative option there are other franchises who would made a better use of them.
Ken Washio (Gatchaman): One of the firsts Super Sentai and the proper Washio isn't uncommon to fighting games thanks to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Doraemon (...): If there is a kodomo character that is recognizable enough to be here without any problem is definitively Doraemon the Cosmic Cat. His playstyle would also be very fun!
Astro Boy (...): The most well-knowed job of Osamu Tezuka, Astro Boy (or Mighty Atom) is also an icon character and a retro option that shouldn't be left behind.
Sailor Moon (...): The face of the Mahou Shoujo genre, or at least it is from where I am since very similar to Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon is very popular in this side of the planet.
Arsene Lupin III (Lupin the 3rd): Lupin is a very wide franchise full of different versions of the character and no matter what color it has his jacket, everyone loves him.
Captain Harlock (...): This is one of those characters that the truth must be say, I really don't know too much, but it looks that he is important is very damn cool.
Hyakkimaru (Dororo): Quite a bias choice but the adaptation of 2019 was kinda popular so I think he is relevant enough, it could have an interesing but quite problematic mechanic of recover parts of his original body gaining a bigger health pool at the cost of lost most of his firepower...or he can just always use his wooden body.
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist): Talking about characters with missing parts of their body. With the risk of be wrong I would say that Fullmetal Alchemist is the most popular shonen that isn't from the Jump. And if I'm wrong it would still be one of the most populars. He is also very cool and maybe could call his brother Alphonse for help.
Ranma (Ranma ½): A very cool idea in my opinion, Ranma could change between male and female like a stance fighter. The series itself is also a big referent.
Yuji Itadori (Jujutsu Kaisen): A more modern pick, Jujutsu Kaisen caught the attention of various persons especialy with the help of MAPPA and their adaptation.
Gon Freecss (Hunter X Hunter): The series recently got a revival after a very long hiatus and it has a strong fanbase.
Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia): Probably the most popular series of the Shonen Jump in the 2010's, while I think that there are more interesing characters is true that Deku is the face and protagonist.
Tanjiro Kamado (Kimetsu no Yaiba): The other most popular series of the Shonen Jump in the 2010's. The ufotable's adaptation caught everyone's attention.
Denji (Chainsaw Man): The most recent character between all in the list published in 2019. It also get a fanbase that waited long time for the adaptation that is currently on air apart of the current continuation of the original story. It would also be a very cool character to use with a brutal playstyle and the gimmick of constantly receiving damage (due the blood that Denji drops when transforming) but that it could use the health of the opponents to mantain himself alive.
Lina Inverse (Slayers): A very powerful witch and a slightly obscure rep (I know that the series has fans but at the same time it was quite complicated to get information about it so I guess is at least a bit underground).
Sakata Gintoki (Gintama): My favorite Jump anime is Gintama so he must be here! He is also very different to other Jump characters with his playstyle leading more to the gags than serious techniques.
Baki (Baki the Grappler): Between the martial arts series Baki is one of the most famous, it also has some very bizarre but awesome techniques that are worth noticing.
Korosensei (Assassination Classroom): I added Korosensei mostly since I wanted to have a not-so-humanoid character and he was the first option I had. Already was in J-Stars so there is where to work.
Shinichi Kudo (Detective Conan): Trying to diversify the roster adding more characters who doesn't usually fight, Detective Conan is between the most recognizables series so I rotted to him, did you know that the serie is still under emission since 1994?
Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass): Also somewhat a bias choice but Code Geass is very popular by itself being a referent in the mecha genre. His unique ability of command people to do what he want using his Geass would also be very interesing to adapt.
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!): Another character from a slice of life, Taiga isn't a stranger between the genre since she was in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax.
Inuyasha (...): An old-school series like others, it was a suggestion of a friend.
Kankichi Ryotsu (KochiKame): Between the Jump characters that aren't from neketsus there is Kanchiki, a childish comissioner with a good heart but crazy ideas. Has mentioned before there is an intention of not only have characters from action series so I think this could be a welcome one.
Maka Albam (Soul Eater): I have Soul Eater in my to-do list of things to read, but it was very popular in the 2000's.
Alita (Gunnm): The Battle Angel Alita, I was between her and Motoko Kusanagi (the protagonist of Ghost in the Shell), decided to go with her since I think she is more "fancy" apart that unlike GITS I already readed part of Gunnm.
Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Wind Valley): Maybe not the most popular character from Ghibli (if she is from Ghibli in first place is a topic that should be treated apart) but she is one of the most suited in combat by far, also, watch the movie, seriously.
Devilman (...): Go Nagai must be repped here and Devilman is one of the three most popular works of him. There is also Crybaby that gave the character a second air.
Honey Kisaragi (Cutie Honey): Previous to the proper Usagi there it was Honey Kisaragi, Cutie Honey is another of Go Nagai's most well knowed works and she is one of the main representatives of the Magical Girl genre. Probably this game would require her to tone down her more erotic parts but I think she would be fine.
Akko Kagari (Little Witch Academia): The biggest franchise of Studio Trigger having two movies, an anime, a manga and even a game! Her transformation magic and clumsiness would be very fun to adapt in a fighting game.
Tsubomi & Erika (HeartCatch PreCure!): I'm still watching Heartcatch (it's my first PreCure show!) and after asking a friend who knows more about I had troubles deciding between Tsubomi and Erika so I end opting for have both working has a pair, maybe similar to how you play Kohaku and Hisui in Melty Blood.
Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill): If there is a game like this someday, the character that I would want the most would be Ryuko. I could say that she would play similar to Denji since they both have this blood management has their weakness at the moment to fight but maybe something with her Scissor Swords would be more original.
Madoka (Madoka Magica): The series that reconstructed the Mahou Shoujou (at the same time that it kinda doomed the genre with tons of series that tried to replicate it without the same appeal). I was thinking that the magical girl side of the roster wouldn't be complete without her.
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop): Cowboy Bebop is a cult classic, and while there are other series and films with this definition, Cowboy Bebop is also one of the most fitting for this, and hey, Spike can find a woman who can beat his ass here.
San (Mononoke Hime): Alongside Nausicaa, San is the other most fitting character for this game (I can think in a few more, but while they fit at the same time lack enough popularity). Fighting alongside one of her brother wolves and A****aka would be very cool!
Mazinger Z (...): And finishing with Go Nagai there is the Mazinger Z. It would be a giant fighter like those of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom but with a rework to make them more viable.
Mob (Mob Psycho 100): Mob would probably be the opposite of Hyakkimaru in the sense that unlike him that starts strong but ends getting weaker Mob starts quite weak but it would increase his power to 100 where he is unstopable.
Guts (Berserk): Berserk is one of the most influent works and apart of being a conmemoration to his creator I think that Berserk in general is must mentioning.
Tetsuo Shima (Akira): Akira introduced various persons into the anime movies and being a very important work I think that it would be great to include. There is also the fact that it would be a villain rep since well Tetsuo is more interesing and iconic than Kaneda.
Vash the Stampede (Trigun): Another character from a series that I don't know too much but I recognize the importance and the love that it has from their fans.
Simon the Digger (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann): Kamina could be more popular but I always liked more Simon. He could also be more unique than Kamina making use of Lagann to fight and hey, he could still call his "brother" to fight apart of Yoko and Nia!
EVA-01 (Neon Genesis Evangelion): I wanted to have another mecha and I thik the EVA-01 is the best option over there. Is very iconic and in reality most characters in Evangelion can't fight too much of their own without a mech and even if some of them can the most "cool" and unique part is the mech itself.
Saitama (One Punch Man): And finally, Saitama! I think in him has an additional character that wouldn't be playable in online mode. He is know for usually be late to the fight so he wouldn't be selectable until all the other characters are defeated, he would deal a massive amount of damage with one punch that even if some characters could resist it (much like in the manga where not all opponents dies in one punch but are severely damaged) they wouldn't resist the second. Unless they are Saitama itself that if that's the case the results would be similar to the One Punch Man game.

Thought, has usual in these games, there it should be DLC so here there are three packs, all of them includes some sort of guest characters from franchises that while didn't started from an anime/manga/light novel their animes are one of the reasons why they are so well knowed.

(This time there is no context thought, probably would add it later.
Season One:
Kirito (Sword Art Online)
Ange (Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryū no Rinbu)
Ogon Bat (...)
Anya Forger (Spy X Family)
Senku Ishigami (Dr. Stone)
Madoru Endou (Inazuma Eleven)

Season Two:
Celty Sturlusson (Durarara!!)
Shichika Yasuri (Katanagatari)
Agni (Fire Punch)
Himura Kenshin (Rirurou Kenshin)
Akame (Akame Ga Kill!)
Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate)

Season 3:
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL)
Fuu (Samurai Shamploo)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Lio Fotia (Promare)
David Martinez (Cyberpunk: Edgerunners)
Artoria Pendragon (Fate stay/night)

Demon Dragon

Smash Apprentice
Marth​
Caeda​
(Adult) Tiki​
Gharnef​
Alm​
Celica​
Sigurd​
Julius​
Roy​
Lilina​
Lyn​
Hector​
Ephraim​
Eirika​
Ike​
Micaiah​
Robin​
Lucina​
Corrin​
Byleth​
Season 1Season 2Season 3
  1. Anna​
  2. Edelgard​
  3. Dimitri​
  4. Claude​
  1. Kiran​
  2. Leif​
  3. Fae​
  4. Azura​
  1. Jedah​
  2. Lyon​
  3. Oliver​
  4. Walhart​
This is what Warriors should have been instead of the overexposure of Shadow Dragon and Fates characters. (but how dare you don't include Nino)

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
From a bit ago, a live-action TV roster (Super Smash of the Network Stars, or whatever you wanna call it)

Here is the roster
50’s
1. The Lone Ranger
2. Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy)
3. Kermit the Frog (Sam & Friends/Sesame Street/The Muppet Show)

60’s
4. Captain Kirk (Star Trek)
5. The Doctor (Doctor Who)
6. Uncle Fester (The Addams Family)
7. Herman Munster (The Munsters)
8. Jeannie (I Dream of Jeannie)
9. Samantha Stephens (Bewitched)
10. Ultraman
11. Columbo

70’s
12. The Fonz (Happy Days)
13. Mork (Mork & Mindy)
14. The Bionic Woman
15. Kamen Rider Ichigo (Kamen Rider)
16. Electra-Woman & Dyna-Girl
17. “Hawkeye” Pierce (M*A*S*H*)
18. Charlie’s Angels [either they’re all alts for each other or it’s like three Ice Climbers]
19. Starbuck (Battlestar Galactica) [alt for the reboot]

80’s
20. BA Baracus (The A*Team)
21. MacGyver
22. Michael Knight & KITT (Knight Rider)
23. Captain Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
24. ALF
25. Steve Urkel (Family Matters)
26. Jerry Seinfeld (Seinfeld)
27. Wayne & Garth (Saturday Night Live) [these last three are somewhat surprising, given their 90's associations]

90’s
28. Will Smith (Fresh Prince of Bel-Air)
29. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
30. Xena, Warrior Princess
31. Mulder & Scully (The X-Files)
32. Tommy Oliver (Power Rangers)
33. Barney the Dinosaur (Barney & Friends)
34. Phoebe Buffay (Friends) [IDK why I picked her from Friends, she felt like she might have a weirder moveset, maybe?]
35. Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)

2000’s
36. Hiro Nakamura (Heroes)
37. Walter White (Breaking Bad)
38. Omar Little (The Wire)
39. Dwight Schrute (The Office)
40. Ron Swanson (Parks & Recreation)
41. Frank Reynolds (It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia)
42. Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory)
43. Barney Stinson (How I Met Your Mother)

2010’s
44. Arya Stark (Game of Thrones)
45. Negan (The Walking Dead)
46. Terry Jeffords (Brooklyn 99)
47. Eleven (Stranger Things)
48. Eric Andre (The Eric Andre Show)
49. Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock)
50. Homelander (The Boys)
51. Barry

2020’s
52. Ted Lasso
53. Beth Harmon (The Queen’s Gambit)
54. Seong Gi-hun (Squid Game)

If there were to be any "guests", I suppose Homer Simpson as the sole animated character, and a superhero pack with the 60's Batman & Robin as a duo, the 70's Hulk and Wonder Woman, and Netflix Daredevil... probably a lot of other characters to add in general, but 54 is a lot. If you got any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
From a bit ago, a live-action TV roster (Super Smash of the Network Stars, or whatever you wanna call it)

Hawkeye main with Kermit and Ron Swanson secondaries, maybe a pocket Columbo

Only wishing that I could play as Troy and Abed

Last edited:

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
While I'm running a thread about an animanga fighting game, I want to share my own roster!
In order from left to right.

Seiya (Saint Seiya): Very iconic series, particulary in Latin American where I'm from is huge with tons of followers.
Ryo Saeba (City Hunter): A character more or less added just for filling but it was one of the most interesing additions in Jump Force so I decided to roll with him.
Kenshiro (Hokuto no Ken): One of the major exponents of the fighting series that inspired multiple stories, he is also a big badass.
Luffy (One Piece): Of course if there are characters that must be here no matter what Luffy is one of them. Heis also one of the most "unique" fighters for say it in some way since his style isn't just a normal martial art, something related with swords or throw beams.
Goku (Dragon Ball): Definitively the face of all this, usually refered has the father of the shonen (especifically the neketsu) is THE anime character that everyone knows.
Naruto (...): Another character that is like a must have here, forming some sort of triad with Luffy and Goku between the main faces of the Shonen Jump.
Jotaro Kujo (Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders): While I prefer more Giorno and Josuke than Jotaro he is between all the Jojos the most well knowed so he is pretty much the correct option when someone wants to represent JJBA.
Yugi Muto (Yu-Gi-Oh!): The franchise is ENORMEOUS and is similar to Jotaro in terms of, even if I prefer other protagonists Yugi is the obvious face. His playstyle would also be very unique making use of a predeterminated deck requiring to build a strategy.
Ichigo (Bleach): The original member of this "Jump Triad", the series started to get attention again with the adaptation of the final arc of the series and is in general a very popular franchise.
Lum Invader (Urusei Yatsura): A rep of the 70's and a more comedy-focused character being her series more of a slice of life. Still, she has her own ways to fight.
Char Aznable (Mobile Suit Gundam): This guy is so relevant that basically created a whole trope for the Mecha genre. Gundam is also a series that was a no-brainer to include here and even if one of the mechs where a tentative option there are other franchises who would made a better use of them.
Ken Washio (Gatchaman): One of the firsts Super Sentai and the proper Washio isn't uncommon to fighting games thanks to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.
Doraemon (...): If there is a kodomo character that is recognizable enough to be here without any problem is definitively Doraemon the Cosmic Cat. His playstyle would also be very fun!
Astro Boy (...): The most well-knowed job of Osamu Tezuka, Astro Boy (or Mighty Atom) is also an icon character and a retro option that shouldn't be left behind.
Sailor Moon (...): The face of the Mahou Shoujo genre, or at least it is from where I am since very similar to Saint Seiya, Sailor Moon is very popular in this side of the planet.
Arsene Lupin III (Lupin the 3rd): Lupin is a very wide franchise full of different versions of the character and no matter what color it has his jacket, everyone loves him.
Captain Harlock (...): This is one of those characters that the truth must be say, I really don't know too much, but it looks that he is important is very damn cool.
Hyakkimaru (Dororo): Quite a bias choice but the adaptation of 2019 was kinda popular so I think he is relevant enough, it could have an interesing but quite problematic mechanic of recover parts of his original body gaining a bigger health pool at the cost of lost most of his firepower...or he can just always use his wooden body.
Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist): Talking about characters with missing parts of their body. With the risk of be wrong I would say that Fullmetal Alchemist is the most popular shonen that isn't from the Jump. And if I'm wrong it would still be one of the most populars. He is also very cool and maybe could call his brother Alphonse for help.
Ranma (Ranma ½): A very cool idea in my opinion, Ranma could change between male and female like a stance fighter. The series itself is also a big referent.
Yuji Itadori (Jujutsu Kaisen): A more modern pick, Jujutsu Kaisen caught the attention of various persons especialy with the help of MAPPA and their adaptation.
Gon Freecss (Hunter X Hunter): The series recently got a revival after a very long hiatus and it has a strong fanbase.
Izuku Midoriya (My Hero Academia): Probably the most popular series of the Shonen Jump in the 2010's, while I think that there are more interesing characters is true that Deku is the face and protagonist.
Tanjiro Kamado (Kimetsu no Yaiba): The other most popular series of the Shonen Jump in the 2010's. The ufotable's adaptation caught everyone's attention.
Denji (Chainsaw Man): The most recent character between all in the list published in 2019. It also get a fanbase that waited long time for the adaptation that is currently on air apart of the current continuation of the original story. It would also be a very cool character to use with a brutal playstyle and the gimmick of constantly receiving damage (due the blood that Denji drops when transforming) but that it could use the health of the opponents to mantain himself alive.
Lina Inverse (Slayers): A very powerful witch and a slightly obscure rep (I know that the series has fans but at the same time it was quite complicated to get information about it so I guess is at least a bit underground).
Sakata Gintoki (Gintama): My favorite Jump anime is Gintama so he must be here! He is also very different to other Jump characters with his playstyle leading more to the gags than serious techniques.
Baki (Baki the Grappler): Between the martial arts series Baki is one of the most famous, it also has some very bizarre but awesome techniques that are worth noticing.
Korosensei (Assassination Classroom): I added Korosensei mostly since I wanted to have a not-so-humanoid character and he was the first option I had. Already was in J-Stars so there is where to work.
Shinichi Kudo (Detective Conan): Trying to diversify the roster adding more characters who doesn't usually fight, Detective Conan is between the most recognizables series so I rotted to him, did you know that the serie is still under emission since 1994?
Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass): Also somewhat a bias choice but Code Geass is very popular by itself being a referent in the mecha genre. His unique ability of command people to do what he want using his Geass would also be very interesing to adapt.
Taiga Aisaka (Toradora!): Another character from a slice of life, Taiga isn't a stranger between the genre since she was in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax.
Inuyasha (...): An old-school series like others, it was a suggestion of a friend.
Kankichi Ryotsu (KochiKame): Between the Jump characters that aren't from neketsus there is Kanchiki, a childish comissioner with a good heart but crazy ideas. Has mentioned before there is an intention of not only have characters from action series so I think this could be a welcome one.
Maka Albam (Soul Eater): I have Soul Eater in my to-do list of things to read, but it was very popular in the 2000's.
Alita (Gunnm): The Battle Angel Alita, I was between her and Motoko Kusanagi (the protagonist of Ghost in the Shell), decided to go with her since I think she is more "fancy" apart that unlike GITS I already readed part of Gunnm.
Nausicaa (Nausicaa of the Wind Valley): Maybe not the most popular character from Ghibli (if she is from Ghibli in first place is a topic that should be treated apart) but she is one of the most suited in combat by far, also, watch the movie, seriously.
Devilman (...): Go Nagai must be repped here and Devilman is one of the three most popular works of him. There is also Crybaby that gave the character a second air.
Honey Kisaragi (Cutie Honey): Previous to the proper Usagi there it was Honey Kisaragi, Cutie Honey is another of Go Nagai's most well knowed works and she is one of the main representatives of the Magical Girl genre. Probably this game would require her to tone down her more erotic parts but I think she would be fine.
Akko Kagari (Little Witch Academia): The biggest franchise of Studio Trigger having two movies, an anime, a manga and even a game! Her transformation magic and clumsiness would be very fun to adapt in a fighting game.
Tsubomi & Erika (HeartCatch PreCure!): I'm still watching Heartcatch (it's my first PreCure show!) and after asking a friend who knows more about I had troubles deciding between Tsubomi and Erika so I end opting for have both working has a pair, maybe similar to how you play Kohaku and Hisui in Melty Blood.
Ryuko Matoi (Kill la Kill): If there is a game like this someday, the character that I would want the most would be Ryuko. I could say that she would play similar to Denji since they both have this blood management has their weakness at the moment to fight but maybe something with her Scissor Swords would be more original.
Madoka (Madoka Magica): The series that reconstructed the Mahou Shoujou (at the same time that it kinda doomed the genre with tons of series that tried to replicate it without the same appeal). I was thinking that the magical girl side of the roster wouldn't be complete without her.
Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop): Cowboy Bebop is a cult classic, and while there are other series and films with this definition, Cowboy Bebop is also one of the most fitting for this, and hey, Spike can find a woman who can beat his ass here.
San (Mononoke Hime): Alongside Nausicaa, San is the other most fitting character for this game (I can think in a few more, but while they fit at the same time lack enough popularity). Fighting alongside one of her brother wolves and A****aka would be very cool!
Mazinger Z (...): And finishing with Go Nagai there is the Mazinger Z. It would be a giant fighter like those of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom but with a rework to make them more viable.
Mob (Mob Psycho 100): Mob would probably be the opposite of Hyakkimaru in the sense that unlike him that starts strong but ends getting weaker Mob starts quite weak but it would increase his power to 100 where he is unstopable.
Guts (Berserk): Berserk is one of the most influent works and apart of being a conmemoration to his creator I think that Berserk in general is must mentioning.
Tetsuo Shima (Akira): Akira introduced various persons into the anime movies and being a very important work I think that it would be great to include. There is also the fact that it would be a villain rep since well Tetsuo is more interesing and iconic than Kaneda.
Vash the Stampede (Trigun): Another character from a series that I don't know too much but I recognize the importance and the love that it has from their fans.
Simon the Digger (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann): Kamina could be more popular but I always liked more Simon. He could also be more unique than Kamina making use of Lagann to fight and hey, he could still call his "brother" to fight apart of Yoko and Nia!
EVA-01 (Neon Genesis Evangelion): I wanted to have another mecha and I thik the EVA-01 is the best option over there. Is very iconic and in reality most characters in Evangelion can't fight too much of their own without a mech and even if some of them can the most "cool" and unique part is the mech itself.
Saitama (One Punch Man): And finally, Saitama! I think in him has an additional character that wouldn't be playable in online mode. He is know for usually be late to the fight so he wouldn't be selectable until all the other characters are defeated, he would deal a massive amount of damage with one punch that even if some characters could resist it (much like in the manga where not all opponents dies in one punch but are severely damaged) they wouldn't resist the second. Unless they are Saitama itself that if that's the case the results would be similar to the One Punch Man game.

Thought, has usual in these games, there it should be DLC so here there are three packs, all of them includes some sort of guest characters from franchises that while didn't started from an anime/manga/light novel their animes are one of the reasons why they are so well knowed.

(This time there is no context thought, probably would add it later.
Season One:
Kirito (Sword Art Online)
Ange (Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryū no Rinbu)
Ogon Bat (...)
Anya Forger (Spy X Family)
Senku Ishigami (Dr. Stone)
Madoru Endou (Inazuma Eleven)

Season Two:
Celty Sturlusson (Durarara!!)
Shichika Yasuri (Katanagatari)
Agni (Fire Punch)
Himura Kenshin (Rirurou Kenshin)
Akame (Akame Ga Kill!)
Kurisu Makise (Steins;Gate)

Season 3:
Haruko Haruhara (FLCL)
Fuu (Samurai Shamploo)
Alucard (Hellsing)
Lio Fotia (Promare)
David Martinez (Cyberpunk: Edgerunners)
Artoria Pendragon (Fate stay/night)
Very good roster, but there's a very glaring absence of a character from Attack on Titan (I'd be surprised if this was an intentional exclusion). Otherwise, 100% a Haruko main.

HyperSomari64

Smash Champion
Very good roster, but there's a very glaring absence of a character from Attack on Titan (I'd be surprised if this was an intentional exclusion). Otherwise, 100% a Haruko main.
While giant characters are fine, the iconic Colossal Titan (the one with red muscle) or even Eren himself could be an optional boss.
With that said, Revy from Black Lagoon as an assist character.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I was thinking on Eren, apart of other characters from various franchises like Fairy Tail, Reborn, Medaka Box, Yotsuba, Kaiba (not the Yu-Gi-Oh! character), Kaguya-sama Love is War, Fire Force, Vagabond, World Trigger, Kengan Ashura, Black Jack, Vanitas no Carte, Bocchi the Rock, Undead Unluck, etc. But for one side I was thinking that I was adding to much action shonen characters and for the side of the characters who aren't action shonen I just didn't imaginated a good way to make them fight without overlap clumsy/unintentional combat.

Top Bottom