• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Halo series - Crimson Map Pack out now!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I'm not liking this move... at ALL. Activision is pretty much the devil of the video game industry right now, and now they have the Halo series wrapped up in their fingers???

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Oh ****.

Bungie & Activision together for 10 Years?

Are we sure that Activision's CEO isn't Lucifer?

I mean, seriously, I am outright sick of Activision after a couple of months of MW2 (which is outright broken, BTW), I won't be supporting Bungie for 10 years if they follow through.

AT LEAST HAVE SOME DECENCY TO SIGN UP FOR EA OR SOMETHIN'!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
So I know right away, how do you actually redeem the code for reach, and how exactly do they send it to you? All over youtube you see people getting the code early, but how do you actually enter it in? There's no fancy "Halo Reach" button on the ODST menu screen.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
So I know right away, how do you actually redeem the code for reach, and how exactly do they send it to you? All over youtube you see people getting the code early, but how do you actually enter it in? There's no fancy "Halo Reach" button on the ODST menu screen.
You enter the code via the XBLM. It's like 1.2 GB. There's no "Halo: Reach beta" button/option on the ODST menu because it won't be available till late Monday morning.

I plan on borrowing my friend's copy of ODST to play the beta.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Relax, the beta is coming out monday
And since I still have school, I have something to do to ensure that I have something to do until the beta actually comes out (morning pacific time could be 12 or 1 on the other end of the country)

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Whoever gets into the beta I want some details on how the game plays, but mostly in comparison to Halo 3. Also I want to know how the new abilities and weapons feel, how well the maps are done, how fun the new gametypes are, etc.

Just spill all of your thoughts on the game after you've played it! I want to hear all about it! :)

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Hopefully the campain will be longer than the 50 minutes it took to run through to get that "Don't kill the engineers" achievement.

Seriously, 50 minutes to complete a game? That's appalling.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Fifty minutes? Rubbish. Even ODST wasn't that short, I'm positive.

Is the beta release based on EST? Right now my brother is about three metres to my left, loading, reloading and quitting ODST over and over to try and find that option to start the beta. But it isn't appearing.

@TRG: Will do. I'll let you know about the new stuff after I've played a few hours.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
Hopefully the campain will be longer than the 50 minutes it took to run through to get that "Don't kill the engineers" achievement.

Seriously, 50 minutes to complete a game? That's appalling.
Halo Reach is a main Halo game while ODST was more of a spin off so I'm pretty confident that Halo Reach will have a longer campaign.

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
You can run through ODST in 50 minutes on Easy. It's probably about the same as that on Normal mode too.
You're going to complain about the length of a game on easy?:confused:

Had you said hardest difficulty, with every challenge modifier turned on, and then said it took you 50 minutes and it was easy... I don't know if I'd believe you right away, but I pumped a good 6-7 hours my first playthrough on Heroic. ODST wasn't terrible. Everyone hated it because it wasn't MC. Oh noes! I'm not a super soldier! What will I do!

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
You're going to complain about the length of a game on easy?:confused:

Had you said hardest difficulty, with every challenge modifier turned on, and then said it took you 50 minutes and it was easy... I don't know if I'd believe you right away, but I pumped a good 6-7 hours my first playthrough on Heroic. ODST wasn't terrible. Everyone hated it because it wasn't MC. Oh noes! I'm not a super soldier! What will I do!
Still I'm pretty sure RE5 was about the same price as ODST and you can't run through that in 50 mins, even on easy.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Beta is live.

Gogogogogogogogogo!
Not what I meant. I meant where do you get the option to download the beta. F8AL says you enter a code in the Marketplace, a friend of mine says it's in the ODST menu. I checked both after six o'clock GMT, but they're not there.

GRAAAAAGH

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Downloading the beta now. :)

Not what I meant. I meant where do you get the option to download the beta. F8AL says you enter a code in the Marketplace, a friend of mine says it's in the ODST menu. I checked both after six o'clock GMT, but they're not there.

GRAAAAAGH
If you got a code to download the beta early, you'd have to enter it in the XBLM. If you have ODST, you can download the 1.15 GB beta from the ODST menu. ("Play the beta")

EDIT: Played my 1st game. We won 50-42 and I managed to go +2! :D

Been waiting in the lobby for 30 minutes trying to load another game...

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Got back from Nando's just now.

Alleluia! It appeared! Downloading it now. =D

EDIT: FINISHED! Gotta get playing NOW!

EDIT2: Cr@p. Something's not right here.

I've downloaded it, but I'm not seeing a way to get into the beta. I tried reloading ODST, but all that's there is a grayed out Extras tab. I tried joining friends who were playing it, but it just rejects the offer and says that it wasn't able to. I even searched the game library and the hard drive memory but it isn't there.

My brother's in tears right now because of it. What the hell's going on?

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Got back from Nando's just now.

Alleluia! It appeared! Downloading it now. =D

EDIT: FINISHED! Gotta get playing NOW!

EDIT2: Cr@p. Something's not right here.

I've downloaded it, but I'm not seeing a way to get into the beta. I tried reloading ODST, but all that's there is a grayed out Extras tab. I tried joining friends who were playing it, but it just rejects the offer and says that it wasn't able to. I even searched the game library and the hard drive memory but it isn't there.

My brother's in tears right now because of it. What the hell's going on?
Last option in the ODST menu. Should launch into the beta.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Last option in the ODST menu. Should launch into the beta.
Read my post again. I know that there should be an option to play it, but all that's there is a grayed out options tab. No mention of a beta whatsoever.

I'm not gonna' check again anyway. My brother's in a fume, so I'll just leave it for tomorrow before I can play.

EDIT: Oh, look. He broke my laptop, too. HE BROKE MY F*CKING LAPTOP.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Opinions so far, much better than previous Halo's. Everything feels better.

The Guard ability seems a bit broken but this is what the Beta is for so that's ok. The ammount of times people have tried running behind me with Guard, waiting for it to deplete, only to be melee'd and killed by me.

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
I was playing ALL day Sunday, but the servers were down today (anyone confirm if they're back up yet? too lazy to set up my xbox if not)

Opinion time:

Pros:
-Assassinations are the greatest thing they have ever done, ever.
-Powerhouse instantly became my new favorite map. Its the largest map I could see staying MLGable. It really is amazing.
-Focus Rifle is sick. I haven't got to use it much, but I loved it when I did.
-Headhunters is fun, but the whole bank 10 and instantly win thing is really annoying. Every headhunter game I won was because of that, just not fair.
-Armor abilities are AWESOME. I really don't like the guard one, as Pluvia said. But the rest flow really nicely. Sprint --> assassinations are beyond sick.
-Covie Slayer = ♥ I've never had so much fun in a game. DO A BARREL ROLL's are sure to ensue.

Cons:
-Grenades. Are. So. ****. Overpowered. It's ridiculous. I'm not kidding when I say 9 out of 10 deaths are via grenades, its really annoying. I like how in slayer pro you only start with one, but the game is more about MLG type things, so powerdown grenades, please
-I don't understand the DMR. I'll take someone out in like, 4 shots, or I'll waste a full clip and not even bring them down to beatdown will kill range. Obviously headshots are better, but even when I know I'm hitting them in the head, it doesn't seem uniform.
-Beatdowns are way too fast. Theres almost no point to close-quarter shooting. two beat downs are you're gone.
-I really don't like swordbase. It's a huge pain in the *** to maneuver, and anything but the jetpack ability will ruin you.
-I don't like the way the grenade/plasma launcher handles. Idk. Maybe its just my overall dislike of huge/power weapons. But I think they shoulda just left em out.

Overall: A million times better then Halo 3, and I think once the perfections have been made, easily better then halo 2.

I still can't wait for invasion.

Stormcrow2

Smash Apprentice
I was playing ALL day Sunday, but the servers were down today (anyone confirm if they're back up yet? too lazy to set up my xbox if not)

Opinion time:

Pros:
-Assassinations are the greatest thing they have ever done, ever.
-Powerhouse instantly became my new favorite map. Its the largest map I could see staying MLGable. It really is amazing.
-Focus Rifle is sick. I haven't got to use it much, but I loved it when I did.
-Headhunters is fun, but the whole bank 10 and instantly win thing is really annoying. Every headhunter game I won was because of that, just not fair.
-Armor abilities are AWESOME. I really don't like the guard one, as Pluvia said. But the rest flow really nicely. Sprint --> assassinations are beyond sick.
-Covie Slayer = ♥ I've never had so much fun in a game. DO A BARREL ROLL's are sure to ensue.

Cons:
-Grenades. Are. So. ****. Overpowered. It's ridiculous. I'm not kidding when I say 9 out of 10 deaths are via grenades, its really annoying. I like how in slayer pro you only start with one, but the game is more about MLG type things, so powerdown grenades, please
-I don't understand the DMR. I'll take someone out in like, 4 shots, or I'll waste a full clip and not even bring them down to beatdown will kill range. Obviously headshots are better, but even when I know I'm hitting them in the head, it doesn't seem uniform.
-Beatdowns are way too fast. Theres almost no point to close-quarter shooting. two beat downs are you're gone.
-I really don't like swordbase. It's a huge pain in the *** to maneuver, and anything but the jetpack ability will ruin you.
-I don't like the way the grenade/plasma launcher handles. Idk. Maybe its just my overall dislike of huge/power weapons. But I think they shoulda just left em out.

Overall: A million times better then Halo 3, and I think once the perfections have been made, easily better then halo 2.

I still can't wait for invasion.
A couple of the things listed in your cons is what I was worried about... I really hope they do what they can to make the game as balanced as halo 3, if not better. The extremely overpowered nades and fast beat downs worries me, those things make multiplayer less fun. If beat downs are THAT good, it would make every game type like a lone wolves Slayer game (not BRs, just slayer) on guardian, where you have 6 people running around and aimlessly beating each other down and getting assault rifle kills (the AR is cool, but in lone wolves on halo 3 it basically ruins the playlist). Also, the different classes thing sounds cool, just hoping it doesn't interfere with the competitive style play.

On the bright side, it sounds like there are some fun new playlists. What exactly is Covie Slayer?

I won't be able to try beta until going to my friend's place to check it out since I don't have ODST, but I'll see how it goes then and post any significant views toward the gameplay.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
OMG, I'm playing the Reach Beta right now. It worked after all. :)

First match was Stockpile on Sword Base. We lost 3 - 7, but I got 23 kills to 11 deaths, getting a K/D spread of +12. Noice.

Second match was Team SWAT on Powerhouse. Went to 23 kills to forgot how many deaths. MVP. XD

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
At 1st I thought I hated Reach.The health system and weapons were really pissing me off.

But then I discovered the beauty of Sword/Hammer with the Scout "perk",as well as how awesome the pistol is.

DMR kinda sucks,AR is totally useless,Sticky launcher is SOOOOOOO broken and the Focus rifle is just win.

I think the beatdown is almost too useful.I seem to rarely lose battles close range because of it.Especially when using the Covenant rifle/needle thing.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
On the weapons themselves, I like most of them. The DMR I'd generally prefer to the Needle Rifle, since I think it's more accurate and the supercombine thing doesn't really seem very useful to me. I've never held the Plasma Grenade Launcher myself. My brother did, but he only got to charge one or two shots up before he got headshotted by some campy sniper on the other side of the map, so I can't offer much on it.

The Focus Rifle surprised me, actually. I was under the impression that it would rip through shields, but it's startlingly slow to drain them. It kills absurdly fast when they're down though. I really don't like the Thumper here. You have to hit someone head-on to get an OHKO, but considering their splash damage at ranges where I can hit them consistently I die much more often than I want.

Grenades are just too powerful. Half the time I end up getting pinned down in a corridor, one grendae lands at my feet with no time to dodge, and I die with minimal shield loss. People spam them too. I was on the outside ramp on Powerhouse one time and about four people tossed their grenades at the same time at just me. I saw them coming. No joke.

The Rocket Launcher's as awesome as it ever was, though I do get cheesed off sometimes when the aim-assist drags my reticule upwards and causes me to miss when my opponent sidesteps the rocket.

Grav Hammer with the Sprint ability is just fricking awesome. Got a Hammer Spree and an Overkill on my third match ever using it. The Energy Sword, not so much. I'm still trying to get out of the habit of backpedaling when somebody parries my lunge with a melee.

Assassinations are the best addition to the series here. Who's with me?!

JustKindaBoredUKno

Smash Lord
Covie slayer is the gametype that lets you play as an elite, since theres no longer an option for that.

Right now they're the only ones with the barrel roll type thing, and being an alien and doing barrel rolls is amazing.

Plus, when they assassinate, they have a little wristmounted plasma dagger they turn on and stab thru the back of your head. Its. ****ing. Awesome.

Top Bottom