• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hall and Oats Tour Australia! (RoboCop, Great Barrier Reef, and More?)

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Hey Homies,

I'm a silly American Smasher and I'm making the epic journey from tiny, insignificant, San Diego, California, and will be travelling to Sydney, Australia for a huge video game tournament. The games in question are Super Smash Brothers Melee for the Nintendo Gamecube (PAL?) and Super Smash Brothers Brawl for the Nintendo Wii (I don't know.)

Well, it's not just me that's making the trek, but rather, me and my heterosexual life partner, Hall.

My plans include hanging out with some of my favorite international smashers (Luke, Tedeth, Toby, Shaya, CAOTIC, the Australian Ganon Community, and any ladies that like mexicans that just ooze with charisma) and some sight-seeing in that area.

But I'm the adventurous type. I mean, I'm travelling half-way 'round the world to play Super Smash Brothers Melee and Brawl for the Nintendo Gamecube and Wii respectively. So, of course I'm going to want to do more.

So here's my proposal and here are some ideas I want to pitch.

I'd like to rent a car, and drive from southern Australia to the Great Barrier Reef or the Daintree Rainforest. Because the rainforest is so far from Sydney I think I may have to settle for just the reef, but I'm very willing to change my plans appropriately if I can to accomodate explosive, tropical vegetation.

Here's the thing. While I am doing research on car rentals, I'm pretty sure many of you know more than this slack-jawed, cowboy-of-a-Californian-surfer. If you have any info on this type of stuff or have done a trek like this before, let me know! Inform me! I want to be a true aussie and wrestle crocodiles and punch women without remorse!

Also, if there are any Smash tournaments in Queensland (by the rainforest :) ) or anywhere remotely close to the Great Barrier Reef, let me know, and I'd like to accomodate those into my plans and play with you aussies. Then we can go make ourselves Merry at any one of your fine eating establishments.

Or maybe you'd like to join Hall and I on our trip? LET ME KNOW!

Cheers!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Luke and I already decided that you need to at least come visit the Gold Coast.
Party time at Surfers Paradise!

Billy, Alison and I owe a debt of gratitude to you guys, so I'll see about making sure a tournament happens when/if you decide to come by Brisbane/Gold Coast. Just give me a time frame.

I'm not too savvy with car rentals. But I'll look about.

Hotdog

Smash Lord
Oh man driving from Sydney to the Great Barrier Reef is going to be one hell of a drive haha. But yes, come check out the Goldcoast while you're here, maybe some theme parks here and there.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Maybe if you start from the tip of Queensland/the Reef and work your way down, since Robocop is being held in Melbourne, it might be more fiscally efficient?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Guys; remember that time Oats, Havok and CAOTIC disappeared for like 14 hours? They were driving the entire time.

36 hours of driving to the great barrier reef is easy for them.
They could probably do it, because they're so pro, in about half a day.
:p

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i like that you don't want to insert a vacuum up our arse and suck every cent you can

are you coming to robocop, in melbourne (the capital of australia)?

S.D

Smash Master
Yo Oats, the boys told me you're a pretty top bloke so here's the deal. I live in Gladstone which is 'the gateway to the great barrier reef' or some such... Anyway if you/anyone are coming up this way let me know and we can get a boat out to one of the reef islands/resorts (probably heron island) drink booze, check out the reef etc, stay there a night or two etc. Anyway let me know when dates and stuff are confirmed and we'll sort something out yes?

As far as smash there's no tournaments this far north, but there are a couple of players... but yes Brisbane/GC for proper smash tournaments I suppose.

I implore people to join this mission.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Watch out for hoop snakes while you're in Queensland
**** hoop snakes are the worst. Anyway doing the harbor bridge climb in sydney is something I would recommend. You get a mad view of the city and get to walk over our bridge and stuff.

Zero

Smash Hero
Yes, the bridge climb is fantastic! If you're hardcore you should aim to do the sunrise one, although the view during the day was also very good.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Some travel advice:

Just so you know what you're getting yourself into, a drive from Sydney to what is effectively far North Queensland is the same distance as driving from San Diego to Seattle. If you want to drive/rent a vehicle, make sure you get an international drivers license from your DMV; it's about $25 and all you need to do is ask for one (no additional tests required and it's usually issued on the spot).

Most travelers of the backpacker or the spend-thrifty variety hire campervans, such as these popular ones: http://www.wickedcampers.com.au/ People in hostels split the costs of the vehicle if they can and go in groups. If you're lucky use can use websites like 'Gumtree' to organize road trips and vehicle hire with other travelers.

I recommend this as useful guide which covers everywhere you want to go: http://www.amazon.com/East-Coast-Australia-Regional-Guide/dp/1741047242/ref=dp_ob_title_bk

If you start from Sydney, a good way to traverse is:
Sydney > Byron Bay > Gold Coast-Brisbane > Fraser Island (a supposedly amazing deviation if you can afford the time) > Gladstone (to hang out with SD, do visit him) > Cairns-Cape Tribulation (you'll be lucky and aptly rewarded if you make it this far). Doing it in reverse is just as good, although a round-trip would surely make the going tough. Brisbane-Gold Coast and Cairns make for good resting spots and for good party scenes.

As for surfing, by far your best picks are Sydney (which make Californian waves seem tame, cool water temperature at the time you're traveling), Gold Coast (fairly consistent, easy waves, warm water temperature), or if you can handle it, the brutal and cold Victorian surf outside Melbourne (which kills Prime Ministers and sweeps away many innocent children).

Avoid suggestions of going to Gold Coast theme parks -- being from California it will just underwhelm you.

Do things you cannot do as a Californian:
- Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
- Snorkel (or scuba dive if you have a license) any part of the Great Barrier Reef, which indeed starts in Gladstone and continues through to Cape Tribulation
- Do a sand safari and drive within Fraser Island
- Go hunt some crocodiles

Any questions, more than happy to ask. If I'm lucky I might even be able to join for for a partial leg of the journey!

Everyone you go, you and your Mexican-ness will be adored -- we basically don't have any!

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Also we need to take them to a zoo so that they can fight a Kangaroo. :p
Just make sure it's a petting zoo and not a mainstream zoo where you watch them behind cages =/

Oats: Also putting it out there, I'm mostly interested in the Brisbane to Gladstone leg of your trip, or the Sydney leg, but I'm only available on weekends. See if you can come up with anything.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
OATS can i interview you plsss.... its to go in our national smash magazine so yesyes its good stuff.
also, idk if anyone mentioned this coz i didnt read over the other posts well, but definitely come here and go to the ureka skydeck and have a looksies when your here in melbourne, i'd be happy to come with for that one :D

unreon

Smash Ace
wow my goodness.

Hiya Oats. I've heard about you but don't know a thing about Brawl. Only that you're a champ of a bloke.

Would love to get in on this because it just sounds amazing; and I've been meaning to check out the Reef myself but none of my social circle of friends are as adventurous.

I'd love to get in on this depending on when it happens. A drive sounds wicked insane though T___T Can't Americans fly like us DDD:

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
Well, I've done 18 hour drives in one sitting, (and 4 hour drives in my sleep) and frankly, I enjoy driving a little bit too much. Don't worry though, I know how to make road trips entertaining, and with the right people, everything is a blast! Again, the driving is still nebulous, but it's an option I'm well considering.

And if you don't know a thing about Brawl that's fine. I like Melee and other games too. !

@Surgi: Sure.

planetstereo

Smash Ace
heard somewhere that you were a bit of a surfy? I probably could take you round some of the good spots in Sydney, and some of the south coast area.

Also, my couch is free for the staying.....

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
I'm a surfy at heart but learning to be a surfy at practice. Brawl tipsies for surfing tipsies? Or even life tipsies? Let's just be marthsies all day er-day.

And about the shower thing: lol. If it's any consolation to Luke, I helped fit him out in California Cool-Dude Clothes (CCC).

Vermy

Smash Champion
I can take you to a strip club where you can get a $20 dollar lap dance. Quality girls too. Just have to shoo away the uggos. (Y)

......am I a bad person?

planetstereo

Smash Ace
^No, not a bad person, just havent worked out that you should never pay for something that you can get for free....like bottle water or complimentary after-dinner mints.....

@Oats: Done and done, I am kinda a learner surfer as well but I have been a bodyboarder for years so not completely noob really. Marth is bomb, brawl tips would be la great.....

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
UPDATE FOR EVERYONE THAT IS INTERESTED IN HANGING OUT (BECAUSE WE WANT TO HANG OUT WITH YOU)

Hall and I arrive the 22nd of September, in Sydney, in the Evening.

We will be renting a car or something and heading out from there on the 23rd for the Reef / Gold Coast. We'll be hanging out in that area, until we need to drive back to Melbourne for the tourney, hopefully arriving the Friday before.

Three Days of Tourney.

Then Three Days of Melbourne.

Then we'll have about a week of free time, that we'll most likely spend in the surrounding areas. We want to spend our last couple days in Sydney (11th - 13th) and we'll be hitting up the Sydney Aquarium on the 12th.

If anyone has any ideas or would like to join us on our quest or wants to hang out, let me know, and I'll figure out a way to get to you and just enjoy what your side of the globe has to offer.

Also, I'll eat most anything. What's the craziest dish you Australian chefsies have to toss at me?

Hall

Smash Ace
Cute girls eh? I'll bring the donuts =D

Just wanna say that these are gonna be the most kickass 3.5 weeks I might ever have

Top Bottom