• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

edddddie

Smash Cadet
I was playing Zelda the other day and I did her up-b and I reappeared close to (maybe directly over?) my opponent and they got spiked. Maybe it was a fluke, but I think if you position it just right it can spike. I'd test it now but someone is borrowing meh Brawl right now :/
The same thing happened to me. You should test this and see if it always happens this way.
Also, isn't meteor canceling in? Which spikes can be canceled and which can't? :dizzy:

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
The same thing happened to me. You should test this and see if it always happens this way.
Also, isn't meteor canceling in? Which spikes can be canceled and which can't? :dizzy:
I've never hit an oponent in the air with it, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't spike, it just has a shollow angle, though it can ricoccet off of an edge for a spike.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Marths Up Smash sends characters at an ugly angle if he uses it near an edge while they're clinging. Marth doesn't need to face a specific direction, however it may be character specific. Me and my friend tried this against Lucario, and it worked well, while it did almost nothing to Lucas. What's nice about it is I don't believe damage effects how far they are sent downwards, so even at low % it sends them quite far. The opposite is also true for characters it doesn't work on. Give it a try on Lucario at least, and see if there are others it can work on. The hitbox seems to be the area around marth that has the smoke rise up when he uses it.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
As far as we've tested, Olimar can spike with his D-air as long as he has a red pikmin in hand..

Me and a friend tested this out and it's a guaranteed down spike everytime at any percent if he is holding a red pikmin..

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
yeh pits dair dont spike
I've done it once... the timing/sweetspot must be hellishly small.

and how does zelda's lightning kick spike in any way (not the lightning stomp... the lbair and the fair) they actually have upwards angles...

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
hmmm really i dont think people in the pit forums know this ill make a topic there.
I never play pit in brawls, so I only did it once in 1p mode. I can't duplicate it on command, because I never cared to try... but that's the ONLY time I've seen it spike... and I'm apparently no the only one... then again, luigi's Dair spikes at such specific timing/sweetspot that it might be the same case. Good luck finding out how to do it.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
I never play pit in brawls, so I only did it once in 1p mode. I can't duplicate it on command, because I never cared to try... but that's the ONLY time I've seen it spike... and I'm apparently no the only one... then again, luigi's Dair spikes at such specific timing/sweetspot that it might be the same case. Good luck finding out how to do it.
thanks im trying

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
Ganondorf's U-air can also send played down when it hits at the end of the animation. It isn't really a spike. more of a semi-spike.

M.K

Level 55
As far as we've tested, Olimar can spike with his D-air as long as he has a red pikmin in hand..

Me and a friend tested this out and it's a guaranteed down spike everytime at any percent if he is holding a red pikmin..
Red, Blue, and Yellow Pikmin are the Spikers.

XienZo

Smash Lord
All pikmin can spike, purple the strongest but hardest to aim, and the whites also spike weakly. Also, it should be a spike, not a semi-spike, it sends them straight down, with no significant horizontal movement.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
we at the pit boards have come to the conclusion that pits dair spike is not re-creatable therefore shoud be removed from the list.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
we at the pit boards have come to the conclusion that pits dair spike is not re-creatable therefore shoud be removed from the list.
even if it's difficult, it's still been done before so how does that make it less of a spike? it might make it nigh useless and rarely seen, but that doesn't affect its existence.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I believe the very first hit and only the first hit of Dedede's dair is a very weak spike. It happened while I was playing a friendly today, and it certainly looked like a spike. If someone could test this and confirm/disprove it...

thepinkpoo

Smash Cadet
I believe the very first hit and only the first hit of Dedede's dair is a very weak spike. It happened while I was playing a friendly today, and it certainly looked like a spike. If someone could test this and confirm/disprove it...
it sends downa t a low angle, so its probly a semi spike, not an actual spike.

Browny

Smash Hater
i just spiked the CPU today with sonics d-tilt while they hang off the ledge. its very rare anyone hags on the ledge after invincibility frames so no wonder people havent seen it before :)

Tenki

Smash Hero
i just spiked the CPU today with sonics d-tilt while they hang off the ledge. its very rare anyone hags on the ledge after invincibility frames so no wonder people havent seen it before :)
are you sure it wasn't a stage spike?

cause then we'd have to add spring spiking to the list lul. I'll go check that right now.

Sonic's F-air sometimes launches at a semi-spike angle, but I haven't been able to pinpoint the exact situation for it - height, direction of movement, placement in Sonic (guessing sweet spot is the best, but it could be around the hands for the semi-spike), grounded opponent vs midair... etc

His f-tilt sometimes gives a spike effect, but I think that could just be on grounded opponents. I have done some semispikes with it (first hit only) but I'm not sure of the exact conditions for that either, other than Sonic between low aerial opponent and ledge.

U-tilt has a downward motion for comboing people before the last hit. It's possible to 'tip' it so that only the first hit (sends downward) works, but it's definitely meant to combo into the last hit, so it's probably too weak for practical spike usage.

I'll post it here when I can get them to work somewhat consistently.

Elec Man EXE

Smash Apprentice
Description for Charizard's Dair is wrong (a copy of the desc. for his Bair). Should be something about stomping his feet downward.

And yah, all Pikmin colors spike with Dair as long as you hit in the right spot. Straight down, so its a proper spike, though its possible hitting at a different angle could be a semi-spike.

edddddie

Smash Cadet
Description for Charizard's Dair is wrong (a copy of the desc. for his Bair). Should be something about stomping his feet downward.

And yah, all Pikmin colors spike with Dair as long as you hit in the right spot. Straight down, so its a proper spike, though its possible hitting at a different angle could be a semi-spike.
I thought it only spiked with purple Pikmin?

The Chuff

Smash Cadet
Zelda's D-tilt seems to be a weak spike in the middle of the leg, but it's really hard to hit because of autosweet-spotting. It does work when they're getting up from the ledge or are right above it, but rolling avoids that. Meh.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
SEMI SPIKE FOR METAKNIGHT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

thats right. when the shuttle loop hits with the very back hitbox at the start, it sends the opponent completely horizontal (backwards).

EDIT: Also, if done right, it can send slightly downward as well, but if done wrong will send upwards. Very difficult to do correctly, though.

King Zeal

Smash Cadet
Wario's bike will also Spike if an opponent hanging onto the ledge attempts to jump upwards. I did this to a Ganondorf player a few days ago.

Fire.

Smash Rookie
Wait, how is Charizard's bair a full spike? I'm pretty sure it has horizontal knockback, possibly a semi-spike though.

Browny

Smash Hater
put sonic's dair semi spike back...

Its amazingly strong if you hit it with the sweetspot. even the likes of toon link and luigi cant do anything to get back on the stage if they are hit by that off the stage (which of course sonic can recover from every time thanks to the spring, so that shouldnt be taken into account)

Top Bottom