• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

XACE-K

Smash Master
Pit's D-air definitely doesn't spike. Pit's D-Tilt on the other hand does do a spike if they touch his lower body.
Pit's d-tilt is a spike but the opponent has to be underneath his blade for it to spike and not be touching Pit's lower body.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Ivysaur's Nair also spikes in the very first few frames of animation, iirc.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Pit's d-tilt is a spike but the opponent has to be underneath his blade for it to spike and not be touching Pit's lower body.
They don't even have to touch the blade for the spike to work. Test it yourself. Have Pit stand on a platform on Battlefield, and have another character jump from underneath him. If Pit does the D-tilt while a part of the character is overlapping Pit, it will send the character straight down.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Dude, why didn't lucario make it into your list? I found no mention of him on there.
I don't think Lucario has any spikes.

Ivysaur has a spike while holding on to the edge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OlrcBzKmkQ
That's a stage spike.

It spikes. Counterclock wise motion the the Control stick and it sends them down.

As for Sonic's Dair I can't seem to spike with it at all.
If you're talking about U-Smash, I already added it.

As for Sonic's Dair, I'm almost positive it spikes in the first few frames. I may be wrong.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Its a "stall and fall" meaning if you do it with no upward momentum affecting it, at the first extension of the leg (before she flies down) it will spike. Looks cool... like zamus... except i think hers is longer.
Incorrect sir, Sheik dair does not spike at any part of the attack including when she first shoots out her leg. Your opponent will always be shoot upward no matter where or when you hit them.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
We differentiate between Spikes and Meteor Smashes. Spikes cannot be canceled short of wallteching them. Meteor Smashes can be cancelled by either jumping or Up B:ing.

For one thing, all Footstool Jumps, as far as I know, can be Meteor Canceled. I've personally done this several times. I have not tested which Spikes in Brawl are actually Meteor Smashes, but Peach's and Link's D-tilts were meteors in Melee just so you know so people should test those out the first + other moves that were Meteor Smashes in Melee.

I have yet to see Marth Dair be Meteor Smashes but then again, I've never been Meteor Smashes by it myself so I haven't been able to test Meteor Canceling it.

thepinkpoo

Smash Cadet
We differentiate between Spikes and Meteor Smashes. Spikes cannot be canceled short of wallteching them. Meteor Smashes can be cancelled by either jumping or Up B:ing.

For one thing, all Footstool Jumps, as far as I know, can be Meteor Canceled. I've personally done this several times. I have not tested which Spikes in Brawl are actually Meteor Smashes, but Peach's and Link's D-tilts were meteors in Melee just so you know so people should test those out the first + other moves that were Meteor Smashes in Melee.

I have yet to see Marth Dair be Meteor Smashes but then again, I've never been Meteor Smashes by it myself so I haven't been able to test Meteor Canceling it.
i though t there wasnt any meteor canceling in brawl??
-.- i'm so confused.

Browny

Smash Hater
ive never managed to spike with sonic's d-air >_> ive set the CPU to jump in training, in 1/4 speed but have never managed to spike them. you can see in the animation of the d-air, the white sparkle which generally means the attack is a spike if you hit them with it, but i cant aim it for the life of me :<

kamekasu

Smash Ace

As far as I know, Footstool Jumps cannot be Meteor Canceled. Footstool Jumps are just such weak spikes, and have such little hitlag, that it may have seemed like you Meteor Canceled it. Even in the E For All demo we couldn't Meteor Cancel footstool jumps.

Another possible explanation is that you hit them while they had SA frames. I know I've sweetspotted Falco's Dair on Dedede just as he used Up-B and it looked just like he Meteor Canceled it.

I already tested Meteors from Melee and included the ones that carried over into Brawl in the first post. That includes Link's and Peach's Dtilt.

Marth's Dair definitely spikes, you just have to sweetspot it. Marths Dair was a spike in Melee too, not a Meteor Smash.

Hope this helps. (Not Yuna, the other guy that was confused)

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
As far as I know, Footstool Jumps cannot be Meteor Canceled. Footstool Jumps are just such weak spikes, and have such little hitlag, that it may have seemed like you Meteor Canceled it. Even in the E For All demo we couldn't Meteor Cancel footstool jumps.
So basically Footstool Jumps are Meteor Smashes with almost set knockback?

Another possible explanation is that you hit them while they had SA frames. I know I've sweetspotted Falco's Dair on Dedede just as he used Up-B and it looked just like he Meteor Canceled it.
I meteor canceled as Peach (among other characters). She has no noticable SA frames. Also, I was visibly Footstooled. Also, a lot of things from the E for All Demo was changed.

I already tested Meteors from Melee and included the ones that carried over into Brawl in the first post. That includes Link's and Peach's Dtilt.
And they couldn't be meteor canceled?

Marth's Dair definitely spikes, you just have to sweetspot it. Marths Dair was a spike in Melee too, not a Meteor Smash.
Not in PAL it wasn't.

You could be right on the Footstool issue, though. So bottom line is, Brawl has no Meteor Smashes, only spikes? Smart, Sakurai. Real smart.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
So basically Footstool Jumps are Meteor Smashes with almost set knockback?
Looks that way. If you Footstool anybody with Marth, at any percentage, they will always be within perfect range for a sweetspotted Dair. This may be solely based on the timing of the Dair, but I think it also relies on the knockback of the Footstool.

I meteor canceled as Peach (among other characters). She has no noticable SA frames. Also, I was visibly Footstooled. Also, a lot of things from the E for All Demo was changed.
Peach is a weird character. Maybe it has to do with the irregularity of her Up-B? Although I don't think it's any different from being able to glide out of an Up-B.

Again, the most likely reason is because of the negligible hitlag coming out of a Footstool.

And they couldn't be meteor canceled?
They could not be meteor canceled.

Not in PAL it wasn't.
Well, PAL Brawl hasn't been released yet anyways. Who's to say that Melee PAL properties will carry over? This time around it may just be identical to NTSC Brawl.

You could be right on the Footstool issue, though. So bottom line is, Brawl has no Meteor Smashes, only spikes? Smart, Sakurai. Real smart.
Yes. I don't really see it as a problem though. I mean, all Meteors were Spikes in 64 and it wasn't a problem. I think this a more of a good thing because it gives more utility to off-the-stage edgeguarding, an aspect of Melee that Brawl has drifted away from.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Looks that way. If you Footstool anybody with Marth, at any percentage, they will always be within perfect range for a sweetspotted Dair. This may be solely based on the timing of the Dair, but I think it also relies on the knockback of the Footstool.
Maybe. I'll do testing this weekend.

Peach is a weird character. Maybe it has to do with the irregularity of her Up-B? Although I don't think it's any different from being able to glide out of an Up-B.
I doubt it. If you didn't know, Peach won't get meteored from getting Footstooled off a float (not that I was floating). She'll just keep on floating.

Again, the most likely reason is because of the negligible hitlag coming out of a Footstool.
Probably.

Well, PAL Brawl hasn't been released yet anyways. Who's to say that Melee PAL properties will carry over? This time around it may just be identical to NTSC Brawll.
I was just saying. You claimed Marth's Dair was a spike in Melee. It wasn't in the finalized and most debugged version.

Yes. I don't really see it as a problem though. I mean, all Meteors were Spikes in 64 and it wasn't a problem. I think this a more of a good thing because it gives more utility to off-the-stage edgeguarding, an aspect of Melee that Brawl has drifted away from.
True. But it's also broken since Marth still has the Ken Combo on some characters.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
True. But it's also broken since Marth still has the Ken Combo on some characters.
I suppose it is broken, but Sakurai seems to have tried to balance this game not by getting rid of everything that was broken in Melee, but by making everything else just as broken. Anyway, thanks to the new air-dodging system, the Ken combo, while it is possible to perform, is not a guaranteed thing as long as you are on your toes.

Cobra

Smash Journeyman
Its a "stall and fall" meaning if you do it with no upward momentum affecting it, at the first extension of the leg (before she flies down) it will spike. Looks cool... like zamus... except i think hers is longer.
...I don't think so. I've tried this for a long time form many angles and haven't seen it work. it's possible I'm just sucking it up, but I've never seen a Sheik use a meteor. If you say it's true, I'm going to need video proof before I believe it.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
...I don't think so. I've tried this for a long time form many angles and haven't seen it work. it's possible I'm just sucking it up, but I've never seen a Sheik use a meteor. If you say it's true, I'm going to need video proof before I believe it.
Neither Sheik nor Sonic can spike with D-air, even before the fall. It's been fixed.

Galeon

Smash Ace
You can definitely meteor cancel. I've cancelled spikes at post 100% with my up-b (as Lucas but I seriously doubt it's character-specific). Also, Falco's dair is a meteor now and I'm 90% sure that Marth's is a meteor also. There isn't a melee flash when you meteor-cancel though. The only spikes I've seen so far (unbreakable) are Ganondorf's d-air (I'm still not sure about this one) and Luigi's taunt spike (you just die under any circumstance, 0% or 999).

thepinkpoo

Smash Cadet
I accidentally put Link's D-Tilt where ROB's Dair goes. That's fixed now. Thanks.
Fox's over-B doesn't spike, only Falco.
C. Falcon's down-B doesn't technically spike, only Ganondorf.
wat do you mean 'doesn't technically' spiek?

Sliq

Smash Master
Ganondorf's Up air, if you hit with the back side of the moves as it is ending, either sends your opponent at a severe horizontal trajactory, or downwards. Formerly known in Melee as the Tipman spike, it still applies to brawl, and due to the extra knockback provided, it is better. I'll have vids up everntually, posted in my Ganondorf thread, as soon as i find my ****ing tripod.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Ganondorf's Up air, if you hit with the back side of the moves as it is ending, either sends your opponent at a severe horizontal trajactory, or downwards. Formerly known in Melee as the Tipman spike, it still applies to brawl, and due to the extra knockback provided, it is better. I'll have vids up everntually, posted in my Ganondorf thread, as soon as i find my ****ing tripod.
That's technically a semi-spike. I only included Fox and Pikachu's semi-spikes because otherwise they wouldn't have any. I guess I could go through and add all the semi-spikes eventually.

Pits down tilt spikes when the opponent is holding the edge and Pits feet are touching the other person.
I haven't tested it yet, but I'll add it for now.

uber_micro16

Smash Rookie
Diddy's Dair spikes and I think the Rocket Barrel spikes and so does side b when used properly.

dumpsterdiver

Smash Rookie
Snake's F-air has a sweetspot at the heel ANYWHERE during the arc, including directly above Snake.

His box can also spike under some conditions (like if they're hanging on an edge or returning from below).

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Pits down tilt spikes when the opponent is holding the edge and Pits feet are touching the other person.
This isn't quite correct. The location of the meteor hitbox is any part of Pit's lower half.

You can test it yourself. Have Pit stand on a platform on Battlefield, and have another character jump from underneath him. If Pit does the D-tilt while a part of the character is overlapping Pit, it will send the character straight down.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Lucas' dair spikes on the fourth hit, not the third... :p
I'll take your word for it.

Snake's F-air has a sweetspot at the heel ANYWHERE during the arc, including directly above Snake.

His box can also spike under some conditions (like if they're hanging on an edge or returning from below).
Fixed the F-air.
I added taunts. It also works if they're tethered.

-
I'm going to add a section for semi-spikes, and possibly a guide to spiking.

Top Bottom