• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

XienZo

Smash Lord
thank you qckpy01

i thought that was called ukemi

never really learned it though -.o
Ukemi is what Sakurai calls it.

Always trust us over Sakurai.

Yeah, sometimes we aren't reliable...

but that only means Sakurai's even worse.

Nem0

Smash Rookie
Game and Watch's down-throw, if performed on the edge, sends the opponent straight downwards off the stage. I'm not sure whether or not you can cancel it though, so it may be either a meteor or a semi-spike. Could someone try this out?

Also a few of G&W's Judge hammers are semi-spikes.

Natch

Smash Ace
NNID
Natch42
There is a correction to be made on the Lucas spike.

It spikes at the tip of his foot during any part of the "arc". Not the Hexagons, not the middle hexagon when Lucas is 3/5 the way through the animation, the tip of his foot. Period.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
Hey, with Wolf one time I pulled a spike off with Fair. It was in the middle of the stage and very random and not on purpose. You should try it out and possibly add it to the list.

If I remember correctly I have seen people talk about this already on Wolf boards too.

Kage Me

Smash Ace
Olimar's d-smash, when hitting at the "tip", will semi-spike with yellow Pikmin. Other colours may have the same effect, I'm not sure.

I'm very certain that his d-air is a spike, not a semi-spike... Since, you know, it sends the opponent downward.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
tip for marth's spike: The VERY freont of his dair is easy to spike with as well as the whole back end. so crazy as it sounds: spike backwards.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
Make this sticky!!! It's awesome, useful and deserves a place for everyone to see

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
For IC's f-air: It's not necessarily Nana's hammer that spikes, but whichever is the lesser climber. So in the colour changes where Nana is the dominant climber, you still need both for the spike.

Phantom7

Banned via Warnings
Both of Wolf's spikes are really awesome, and so is Ike's dair.

Btw, spikes and meteors are in my fangame, Super Smash Bros Crusade (I don't thik they're a part of SSF2). Just thought I'd point that out. It's not like I'm PROMOTING THE GAME or anything.

Brado

Smash Lord
I don't know wether this has been mentioned or not, but for IC's spike, both climbers do not have to be present. This can simply be done by doing Popo's down throw to nana's side-b, its very effective finish to a chaningrab.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
the info on Lucas's bair is wrong. its not at the bottom of the arc. its on the tip of his foot. it can happen at any time during the bair as long as the tip of Lucas's foot connects

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Interesting, but with all the terms you've described, what about stage spikes (or stage meteors :p)?

RXFOX

Smash Rookie
Doesn't Toon Link's D-air only spike when the blade just comes out or is it when the opponent is very close?

I don't try to spike with the Dair much since it's suicidal. >.>
For me it seems like toon links spike is indefinite given just a little damage no stall or meteor cancel but i don't do it unless i feel confident so i don't test much.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This thread seems to get bumped a lot.

And you can still meteor cancel TL's, it's not really good.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Thank you for compiling this information! Very good thread, answers a lot of questions, and I don't think you left anything out :D.

And there's quite a lot of attacks here that can spike (or should i say Meteor Smash) that I didn't know about!

Wildfire393

Smash Journeyman
For me it seems like toon links spike is indefinite given just a little damage no stall or meteor cancel but i don't do it unless i feel confident so i don't test much.
No, Toon Link's DAir only spikes during the "Stall" portion of the attack. Once he starts to fall it launches them up and away.

The only "safe" way to use it is right on the edge of the stage, stabbing someone who misses the edge in the head.

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
lol when I use peach's bomber on a 110% opponents, it goes in a downward horizontal slant
and when i use her f throw and back throw, they sometimes sends opponents at a downward slant (still unpredictable and rare)

semi spike worthy?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
The most agreed difference is that you can cancel the downward momentum of a Meteor Smash but not a Spike.

So if you're off the edge, at 0%, and get Meteor Smashed straight down, you can, of course, jump or use a recovery move to break or even cancel that momentum.

If you're spiked off the edge at 0%, straight down, then it is ensured you will die ( unless if someone hits you out of it ;) ).

Hope this helped!

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Unless you play Melee, don't worry about it. Holy **** this thread is old. You should've posted in the general Q&A thread. :V

But in general, in Melee, spikes didn't send people directly down, but rather down at a slight angle, just enough to make it not technically a meteor smash, which meant it could not be meteor canceled.

Top Bottom