• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Pretty comprehensive, kamekasu. Just nitpicking for completeness, though: you should probably put that Ike's dair spikes only when he first thrusts his sword down.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
So does a shine spike(less downwards and more horizontal than MK's)
HAve you everbeen edgeguarded with WOP Dair by MK? The dair gives a good enough nudge downards and horizontally to be considered a move that gives off the typical diagonally trust to be considered a semi-spike
I guess if you hit in the center it hits more downwards.
I've been edgeguarded with a Dair and it just sends me off to the side where it's usually followed by a Bair/Fair or a jumped Dair because it generally doesn't have that much vertical knockback, but I'll add it.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
I guess if you hit in the center it hits more downwards.
I've been edgeguarded with a Dair and it just sends me off to the side where it's usually followed by a Bair/Fair or a jumped Dair because it generally doesn't have that much vertical knockback, but I'll add it.
You're a savage for not being dense to people's comments.lol. MK WOP dair is incredbly effective off the stage and is another part of MK's many edgeguarding techniques. Do you plan on ever calculating the thrusts of spikes and their hitstun?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Ummm... Zelda's Dair spikes for the entire hitbox. It's only really powerful if it sweetspots, but it spikes at any location... oh, and it can't sweetspot a grounded enemy.

thepinkpoo

Smash Cadet
Now that theres a list of spikes it shouldn't be too hard to check if all spikes can be canceled right? i mean, if there are any

edddddie

Smash Cadet
very useful info. im pretty sure u cant cancel DDDs up+B T________T
but that's because it takes DDD down with you, rite?
like wario's forward-b spike. you can cancel it, but it's moving down with you so you cant recover anyways.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
Something I just found out today, (no proof however). When my friend was edgehogging with Lucario on FD, I was Pikachu and charging a side-b midair. I slammed right into him and it spiked him straight down.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Ummm... Zelda's Dair spikes for the entire hitbox. It's only really powerful if it sweetspots, but it spikes at any location... oh, and it can't sweetspot a grounded enemy.
A lot of spikes do that actually... I know, for example, that, in addition to Zelda's, Ness's, DK's and G.Dorf's dairs ALL spike anywhere in their hitbox

Tirno

Smash Journeyman
Something I just found out today, (no proof however). When my friend was edgehogging with Lucario on FD, I was Pikachu and charging a side-b midair. I slammed right into him and it spiked him straight down.
You wall-spiked him, in all likelihood.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
also, Zelda's Dtilt spikes even when hot off the egde, but on the stage you'll rarelyy see it manifest itself as anything other than tripping, but if the enemy jumps at you and gets nicked by the hitbox, it will spike them right down into the stage

wavelucas

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it only spikes during the first few frames. It might be as long as the tip glows. I'm not sure, I'll have to test it.
if you hit it after that, it will send your opponent upwards (:confused: you were going down!?!?)

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Zelda's D-tilt only spikes at the thigh. Past her knee and down to her foot, it will always send them up.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Zelda's D-tilt only spikes at the thigh. Past her knee and down to her foot, it will always send them up.
and it doesn't need to be at the end of the stage like the opening post says.

Also, Zelda's Dair, Ness's Dair, DK's Dair and Gdorf's Dair all spike for their entire hitbox

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
SonictheHedgeDawg is wrong for Ness at least.

Ness has a hitbox in late in the move that sends people horizontally with heavy knockback.

Ness' dash attack also semispikes at the first two sparks, even at 999%. Hard to get, but if you ever hit people off the stage trying to recover with his dash attack, there is a good chance you can propel them at a low angle.

Ness and Lucas' dtilt is a wimpy spike.

Lucas' second spark in his dair spikes.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'll say it too. There is no such thing as a spike that only works at the edge. With Pit, Link, and Ike's d-tilts as examples, the reason on the stage they send you up, is because they bounce you off the stage. They made it so that spikes done to airborne foes makes them stop when they hit the ground, but spikes to foes that are standing makes them bounce. Think of Ganon's D-air.

It's very evident if you do these attacks on a stage like Delfino Plaza, and spike them while they try coming up from below the floating stage platform.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
SonictheHedgeDawg is wrong for Ness at least.

Ness has a hitbox in late in the move that sends people horizontally with heavy knockback.

Ness' dash attack also semispikes at the first two sparks, even at 999%. Hard to get, but if you ever hit people off the stage trying to recover with his dash attack, there is a good chance you can propel them at a low angle.
it still spikes from the entire hitbox on startup

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
well yes, the first post is correct in its assesment that it only spikes as he stops down, but anywhere in the hitbox CAN spike you.... I've even been spiked from ABOVE ness

same with DK and the Dorf

oh and, just trying to catch some mistakes, Sonic's Usmash spike still says "at end of stage"

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I can't believe I haven't said this yet. You're doing a great job with this list! It's very well organized ,and understandable.

A small thing, you missed Pit's D-tilt for when removing the "at the edge."

chubas

Smash Apprentice
Worth mentioning, that Ivy's Nair spike has a sweespot at the bottom of his leaves when he spins.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
It's really more like his back half. His head and front two legs send you upward, but his lower stomach and back legs spike.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I thought ZSS's DownB+B spiked for the entire hitbox, but only in the first frame or so

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
I'd like to add a few things:

1. To spike with Wolf's Side B your opponent must be on the under side of Wolf's hitbox. Otherwise they will be sent in some other direction other than down. You may want to move it to "semi-spikes"

2. It was also recently discovered Wolf can spike with his Fair on, supposedly, the last few frames of the attack and if the opponent is on his underside.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
It makes me pretty Glad to know Meta Knight has SOMETHING he can use to send foes down. A Semi Spike cant be Meteor Cancelled, so I guess its advantageous.
Keep it comin, this thread is very useful. Who knows what kind of spikes/Semispikes could be hidden!

itsover9000

Smash Rookie
sorry about the off topic

hey i just got brawl and here is my friend code if anyone wants to add me

4596-9257-7275

please put ure friend code as well

Top Bottom