• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide to Meteor Smashes in Brawl

Tenki

Smash Hero
put sonic's dair semi spike back...

Its amazingly strong if you hit it with the sweetspot. even the likes of toon link and luigi cant do anything to get back on the stage if they are hit by that off the stage (which of course sonic can recover from every time thanks to the spring, so that shouldnt be taken into account)

List of Spikes in Brawl

If I missed anything or made any mistakes, please tell me. If you have a better or clearer description for a sweetspot, also tell me. This stuff is pretty obvious, but it's a nice resource.

In case you didn't know:

Spike - An attack that sends theopponent directly downwards until hitlag wears off. You cannot meteor cancel in Brawl, therefore all meteors are now spikes.

Stall-then-fall - An attack that sends the user directly downwards. Some stall-then-falls are spikes if they hit as the user begins their downward movement.

Semi-spike - An attack that sends the opponent horizontally, with significant downward momentum.
Sonic's d-air is a stall-then-fall (diagonal fall) semi-spike at the beginning of the attack, 100% of the time against aerial opponents.

His F-air semi-spike is more elusive, but the situation that I came up with for that (whether you want to accept it or not) is:
- lower-front part of Sonic's hitbox (under the head, but front of his arms)
- specific DI needed, most likely downwards DI.

kamekasu

Smash Ace
I believe the very first hit and only the first hit of Dedede's dair is a very weak spike. It happened while I was playing a friendly today, and it certainly looked like a spike. If someone could test this and confirm/disprove it...
I think it's impossible to only hit in the first few frames. Even when I tried this it would send your opponent upward.

I'm not sure if its considered a spike, but peach's dsmash spikes an opponent clinging on a ledge at a pretty fast speed.
Stage spike.

i just spiked the CPU today with sonics d-tilt while they hang off the ledge. its very rare anyone hags on the ledge after invincibility frames so no wonder people havent seen it before :)
Stage spike.

Sonic's d-air is a stall-then-fall (diagonal fall) semi-spike at the beginning of the attack, 100% of the time against aerial opponents.
I don't think it qualifies even as a semi-spike.

---

I'm finishing the meteor guide, considering it seems many people do not know how to meteor cancel in Brawl. (Thanks to Duval)

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
I have one small correction.

Zard's Bair is a two-part attack, part one is a close range claw swipe that sends them straight down into your tail wack, which is the second part.

I believe that's what you mean by sweetspotting the tail, as the claw has more horizontal range then the actual tail.

edddddie

Smash Cadet
What's the verdict on Pit's Dair and Zeldas UpB? Have the char specific forums figured out wether they actually spike?

kamekasu

Smash Ace

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol this one's kind of out there but it is technically a spike. Lucas's PKT2 can be used as a spike. There's only one way of doing it though. While your opponent is directly below you, send PK Thunder below you to send you straight upward. The opponent has to be hit by the initial hit of PKT2 (where you see the flames) and they will be sent straight downward in a spike. Crazy I know, but a spike nonetheless. I've done it once to a computer.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
THIS IS TOTALLY AWESOME! Marth's U-smash can spike! I killed one guy who was hanging off the edge and we never expected it. Marth for top tier :D!

The_Dyne

Smash Journeyman
It is probably a stage spike. They are pulled toward you but stage is in the way and they bounce off of it.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I already stated this. It works on certain characters more effectively than others, and it isn't effected by damage either. Lucario is one character it does work on, while it doesn't work on Lucas. I'm not aware of any other characters aside from these though.

Jibbles

Smash Apprentice
Over-B, Dancing Blade;
Spikes: Last strike, downward (green) option.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't Marth spike on the third hit and not the last hit?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Oh hey I just realized reading through this again. Lucas's Bair can spike at any point during the move, not just at the bottom of the arc as you stated. It's dependent upon what part of the hitbox you hit with. You want to hit with the tip of Lucas's foot for a spike (rather than the edge of the hexagons.) It has nothing to do with what point of the arc it's in.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I'd also like to report that Lucas' dair spikes at the SECOND spark, but you must hit with that spark and no more afterwards. Near impossible to do unless you land on a platform, but it's still there.

Pubik Vengeance

Smash Journeyman
Stall-then-fall - An attack that sends the user directly downwards. Some stall-then-falls are spikes if they hit as the user begins their downward movement.
First of all, great guide.

But, this is a little misleading, because there are some stall-then-falls that don't send the user directly down. Falcon Kick in air, Sonic's Dair and Zamus's Dair come to mind.

But, yeah great thread.

edddddie

Smash Cadet
First of all, great guide.

But, this is a little misleading, because there are some stall-then-falls that don't send the user directly down. Falcon Kick in air, Sonic's Dair and Zamus's Dair come to mind.

But, yeah great thread.
it means like your momentum is directly downwards i think

and where is that meteor guide/

ssbbFICTION

Smash Champion
I have a video of Pikachu's dair spiking
The last hit of warios d-air sometimes comes out as a spike like fox's dair
the first hit of ddd's dair spikes into his hammer sweetspot, so if you cancel it with a ledge it would spike.

Trillion

Smash Ace
I've mentioned this in here before, but Ivysaur's Nair spikes. I found where the exact spot for it is at. When you do Ivysaur's Nair, he spins at a point around his nose. In order to get the spike, you have to hit your opponent with the area around his hind legs. This may not be a good explanation, so if you would like me to post a video of this I can. (If I forget to check for a response on this and you need me to post a vid, then just send a message to my inbox and I will try to get one to you as soon as I can.)

thepinkpoo

Smash Cadet
I've mentioned this in here before, but Ivysaur's Nair spikes. I found where the exact spot for it is at. When you do Ivysaur's Nair, he spins at a point around his nose. In order to get the spike, you have to hit your opponent with the area around his hind legs. This may not be a good explanation, so if you would like me to post a video of this I can. (If I forget to check for a response on this and you need me to post a vid, then just send a message to my inbox and I will try to get one to you as soon as I can.)
i tried this a bunch of times and it doesn't spike.
please give a video! this'll make ivysaur even more awesome!

Pure-???

Smash Journeyman
Toon Link's Dair spikes at the tip until it hits something. you can hit again after landing a hit(he bounces, you regain horizontal control) but the second hit doesn't spike. maybe you have to hit with the tip, but it's a stall then fall, so as long as your target is below you, they're getting spiked.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
However. Zelda's Farore's Wind DOES semi spike when it reapears, not when she dissapears.

Top Bottom