• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Guide] The Complete Guide to Zero Suit Samus

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
Using flipjump onstage is almost always a pretty bad idea, to be honest. The predictable trajectory makes it hard to punish, the kick has a lot of landing lag, and there's usually a better option to do. Use it on stage to escape sticky situations because of the invincibility frames.

It's much better offstage, when you're recovering.

Hold a suit piece and put up your shield. Roll. In the midst of the roll, pick a direction on the C-stick. If you timed it right (it's really not tight timing at all) you just performed a glide toss.
oh okay. usually i'll do it on stage, just to add % and when my opponent's % is high, i'll get them with a dSmash and then dSpecial just for the crowd to yell and for the fun of it.

also.

i use it like this, i'll dash attack and hit my opponent untill they fall off the stage, then dSmash x2 then dSpecial but sometimes i'll dSmash once and then flip jump.

oh okay thanks, i've been trying to do the slide forever.

noradseven

Smash Lord
use d-special to spike or to punish certain things, but you better **** well be sure of what you are doing, and DON'T let d-special be baited because a good player knows that without your d-special ZSS is kinda ****ed on recovery.

the non hit version of down B on stage is also crazy risky but frame 1 invun means its even quicker than sheild in safety and it will allow you to get out of alot of stuff LOL marth over B.

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Hey, I was thinking that you might want to put a section about the "Zero Suit Samus Mindset". Maining her requires a different perspective of the game than most other characters, namely in that you have to completely trow away the tier list in your head, since ZSS cannot be hard countered, nor can she hard counter anybody. You can't look at a character and decide you can win because they are low tier.

Also, defensiveness takes a completely different roll, since she can't shield grab most moves. That's something you need to have in mind if you decide to use her.

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Hey, I was thinking that you might want to put a section about the "Zero Suit Samus Mindset". Maining her requires a different perspective of the game than most other characters, namely in that you have to completely trow away the tier list in your head, since ZSS cannot be hard countered, nor can she hard counter anybody. You can't look at a character and decide you can win because they are low tier.

Also, defensiveness takes a completely different roll, since she can't shield grab most moves. That's something you need to have in mind if you decide to use her.
Isn't ZSS vs Falco considered 35:65 or 30:70 Falco's favour?

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Aerial Buffering allows ZSS to perform an aerial immediately after jumping, which is really useful for obvious reasons. To perfom, cancel a jump with any aerial (except up air) by performing the aerial immediately after a jump.
You can do it with uair, and then follow up by a nair/uair/bair

To do it just hold up a little not max

Zero

Smash Hero
Here you go.

Good Neutrals - Battlefield
Bad Neutrals - Smashville

Good CP - Castle Siege, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar
Bad CP - The rest

noradseven

Smash Lord
Here you go.

Good Neutrals - Battlefield
Bad Neutrals - Yoshi's

Good CP - Castle Siege, Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, Nofair
Bad CP - The rest
fixed for my opinions also depends on weather this **** is legal where you are or not.

Also whats more important alot of the time is the stage the oppenent dislikes, we are decent on almost every stage, its mostly trying to avoid our oppenents strengths and pick their weakness's.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
You Should edited Advanced Techniq Because it is possible to buffered a uair
And then you can do Uair Nair in a SH (lol )

TheRockSays

Smash Journeyman
i don't like Smash Ville as a good neutral i like my good old FD.
I only like Lylat cruise as a neutral against Snake and MK.

DCStyle

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys!
I'm new to ZSS. I used to play her for Brawl+, but I never imagined playing her as a secondary to my Tink.
Can't say Nick Riddle didn't inspire me to pick her up, because he totally did.

I was reading through this guide and although it did clarify on minor details like moveset priority/choice moves during situations, I don't see this as a complete guide on how to play ZSS ie. item details, combo chains/possibilities.

Another detail I found missing was that JC throws are c-stickable, though I'm sure most of you guys know this.

I'm just saying it'd be nice to have an updated ZSS guide thread for beginners like me. Sorry for the bump!

DC

Zero

Smash Hero
The good thing about Brawl is that you can link anything to anything. ZSS especially so. So as you get a feel for her, you'll soon find out what you can and can't do. It's an introductory guide, not a replacement for thinking.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
You should just never bother with memorizing combo chains in Melee, Brawl or B+, because nothing is ever guaranteed in any of those games. Instead, note which moves best put your opponent in the most limited position. The guide gives a good outline of which moves do this, so it's actually pretty good.

RESET Vao

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RESET_Imp
Very nice guide, oddly the main thing I learned was how to select ZSS in tourney mode.

Regardless, it was well presented and a great read.

OverLade

Smash Hero
Wow look at all those slow startup attacks. They must be easy to powershield so ZSS must really suck.

Why do you guys use this crappy character? Its 2010...

OverLade

Smash Hero
LOL funny I thought the exact same thing first match at MLG.

"I ***** this guy last time we played, should be pretty easy set"

*Gets footstooled at 0%*

This time we'll both be on the same page though. No johns for either of us.

And I won't sandbag with MK this time lol.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Wow look at all those slow startup attacks. They must be easy to powershield so ZSS must really suck.

Why do you guys use this crappy character? Its 2010...
Nah man. You went back in time when you entered our forum.

It's 2008 here.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
This is a nice quide, helped me out alot. Without this I wouldn't have know about Zamus's crappy shield game. Also, Zamus is too fun to play as :D

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
This guide updated on 10/06/2010 to include the following:

Move Set Changes:

• Jabs (tactical information)
  • Down Smash (Footstools)
  • Neutral Air (rating reduced to 2 stars, down from 4 stars)
  • Back Air (tactical information)
  • Forward Air (tactical information)
  • Plasma Whip (tactical information)
  • Flip Jump (updated to note that ZSS is intangible, not invulnerable, and to note transcendent priority)
  • Down Throw (rating increased to 4 stars, up from 3 stars)
Basic Strategy:

• Removed Suggested Videos. These become outdated too quickly, and there is already a thread in this forum for that very function.
Match-Ups:

• Updated match-ups to reflect new discussions; feedback is welcome here, but please keep it to the match-up thread to make our lives a little easier.
General:

• I have permanently removed my contact information. Leave me alone! Just kidding, but please instead PM me, ask in the Q/A thread or another community thread if you have any questions. If the questions pertain directly to my guide, please keep any questions to this thread.
Known Issues:

• The images in this thread are broken or mis-linked because Image Shack is really bad. If anyone has new images they'd like to submit for the broken ones, it would be much appreciated.

solecalibur

Smash Master
Good job =3, i really dont think i have a place to update something like that since your the frame ***** in this board
Lol @ your sig

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
The flipstool definition isn't quite correct.
If you input a jump after initiating the flip-jump, without holding jump/timing jump, you will flipstool if you get the chance.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Oh, right. I forgot to update that. I've been meaning to do it like every time. :\

I stole all the frame data from other sources (mostly Adapt's frame data thread) and never updated it after I found out.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Known Issues:
The images in this thread are broken or mis-linked because Image Shack is really bad. If anyone has new images they'd like to submit for the broken ones, it would be much appreciated.
This, basically.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
imgur.com

BTW I may have found a stage specific infinite on every character for ZZS, and none of you will never no LOL

Top Bottom