• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

weon - X

Smash Ace
man i was lying on my bed and then suddenly theres a giant centipede right next to my face. It was a legit centipedes tho, not one of those hairy looking ones.

i ****ing destroyed it after screaming WTF and bouncing off my bed.

Coffeeblack

Smash Journeyman
man i was lying on my bed and then suddenly theres a giant centipede right next to my face. It was a legit centipedes tho, not one of those hairy looking ones.

i ****ing destroyed it after screaming WTF and bouncing off my bed.
I hate those ****ing things

HammerTime

Smash Journeyman
What about when your Luigi plays my Peach D:
I'll most likely still lose but not as badly as my ICs lose to your peach. The ICs - Peach matchup frustrates me to the point where I completely lose my proper mentality so I'd rather completely avoid the matchup. I know that's not the right approach to take but I just really don't wanna learn ICs-Peach.

unknown522

Some guy
Yo, at work I called a graduate from Sheridan College Named Nicholas McGuire, who lives in burlingon. Ofc it wasn't you nick, but it made me laugh

Windrose

Smash Lord
threw the magic of the internet

man getting started to learn something like that must be a mountain to overcome...
the equipment itself must've been a massive investment. how'd you get started?

on a side note, are you familiar with beardyman and his looping stuff?

Niko_K

Smash Master
Now that Brad Durish(Bing) has a new job I'll be taking over as TO for our little community in Niagara. I'm going to start hosting our tournaments in a bi monthly fashion in attempt to give all our micro communities time to book off to make it out. I'll be paying for the venue in advanced (Club La Salle) which is right along the beach and has a bar open inside from my pocket, and then hopefully getting it back from venue fee.

None the less I feel if the right efforts were made we could have multiple regions show up (Niagara, Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Durham, Ottawa / Quebec) and start to stimulate the growth of our community.

Let's make strong efforts to revitalize our regional boards and to synchronize event postings both here and on Facebook to ensure we're creating the necessary exposure to secure larger entrant numbers.

Whatislove

Smash Cadet
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is where this would be appropriate, but I'm trying to find a CRT tv to buy, and I haven't had any luck. Would one of you either be willing to sell me one or to tell me where I might find one? I've been trying kijiji and craigslist so far with no luck.

Windrose

Smash Lord
Hi there, I'm not sure if this is where this would be appropriate, but I'm trying to find a CRT tv to buy, and I haven't had any luck. Would one of you either be willing to sell me one or to tell me where I might find one? I've been trying kijiji and craigslist so far with no luck.

WHAT IS LOVE????????? BABY DON'T HURT ME!!

in response to your question.

i find crts all the time for free. people just toss them out when they get their flat screen tvs. (beware of infestations though. picking up used furnitures and electronics on the street side can be VERY risky sometimes).

Other than that. my first CRT bought for smash purposes while i was in undergrad was found on craig's list. i found it for $15. You can find many people selling CRTs on craigs list and kijiji.

Make sure to ask the seller if it has jacks for gamecube/wii (the red yellow and white jacks. at least yellow and white is needed. red is optional).

let me know if you still have trouble finding it. there are lots of CRTs for sale and it's very cheap.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Girls use a lot of losing strategies but they get away with it because the guy-girl matchup is so skewed in their favour they can afford to do so.

Whatislove

Smash Cadet
WHAT IS LOVE????????? BABY DON'T HURT ME!!

in response to your question.

i find crts all the time for free. people just toss them out when they get their flat screen tvs. (beware of infestations though. picking up used furnitures and electronics on the street side can be VERY risky sometimes).

Other than that. my first CRT bought for smash purposes while i was in undergrad was found on craig's list. i found it for $15. You can find many people selling CRTs on craigs list and kijiji.

Make sure to ask the seller if it has jacks for gamecube/wii (the red yellow and white jacks. at least yellow and white is needed. red is optional).

let me know if you still have trouble finding it. there are lots of CRTs for sale and it's very cheap.

Thanks for the advice. I managed to get a great CRT yesterday. Couldn't be happier!

Niko_K

Smash Master
Now that Brad Durish(Bing) has a new job I'll be taking over as TO for our little community in Niagara. I'm going to start hosting our tournaments in a bi monthly fashion in attempt to give all our micro communities time to book off to make it out. I'll be paying for the venue in advanced (Club La Salle) which is right along the beach and has a bar open inside from my pocket, and then hopefully getting it back from venue fee.

None the less I feel if the right efforts were made we could have multiple regions show up (Niagara, Hamilton, Kitchener/Waterloo, Toronto, Durham, Ottawa / Quebec) and start to stimulate the growth of our community.

Let's make strong efforts to revitalize our regional boards and to synchronize event postings both here and on Facebook to ensure we're creating the necessary exposure to secure larger entrant numbers.
I completely agree man!

Windrose

Smash Lord
guy-girl matchup is actually in guy's favour. most people just choose not to use OP moves such as the "****" because it's banned in irl tournament.

Jethrotex

Smash Journeyman
Windrose, you bring light to my life, especially now that the lightblub in my room burnt out.

It's pretty dark in here.

Help ;.;

Engo

Smash Ace
Damn this discussion is horrible.

Anyway facebook is the way to go. These regional threads are not that great if attracting new players is what you're looking for. Facebook has all the people, info and events you need to know about all in one place that you'll be going on often anyway. We can also direct them from there to smashboards for learning more about the game.

Niko_K

Smash Master
Damn this discussion is horrible.

Anyway facebook is the way to go. These regional threads are not that great if attracting new players is what you're looking for. Facebook has all the people, info and events you need to know about all in one place that you'll be going on often anyway. We can also direct them from there to smashboards for learning more about the game.

I personally believe this is an unfounded dogma that we as a community need to stop consciously making a reality. Let's start using the boards to the same degree that we use Facebook to communicate. This is where as a community we've shown to congregate to discuss all factors of the game and its mechanical depth. We shouldn't let that dissipate into Facebook use as it takes away from the infrastructure that helps new players connect, learn and play at a level that those of us who rarely frequent SWF have already reached.

We need to focus on the image we're portraying and how we will be perceived from the rest of the world in order to strengthen and stimulate the growth and quality of our community.

There is NO reason why we can't make it a priority to log into this forum once a day and be alerted as to whether there are replies in threads relevant to our region. This discussion between individuals is one of the main aspects of the community that sustains and connects each and every one of us regardless of skill level, truly feeding that community atmosphere that has/had been heavily prevalent within the regional boards for years.

Activity here in our boards gives players a sense of purpose towards participating in the community, especially newcomers. Every single individual who enters tournaments should be on these boards and we should all know these players by their alias and IRL name. This should be a major priority, even more so than the game itself.

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
I personally believe this is an unfounded dogma that we as a community need to stop consciously making a reality. Let's start using the boards to the same degree that we use Facebook to communicate. This is where as a community we've shown to congregate to discuss all factors of the game and its mechanical depth. We shouldn't let that dissipate into Facebook use as it takes away from the infrastructure that helps new players connect, learn and play at a level that those of us who rarely frequent SWF have already reached.

We need to focus on the image we're portraying and how we will be perceived from the rest of the world in order to strengthen and stimulate the growth and quality of our community.

There is NO reason why we can't make it a priority to log into this forum once a day and be alerted as to whether there are replies in threads relevant to our region. This discussion between individuals is one of the main aspects of the community that sustains and connects each and every one of us regardless of skill level, truly feeding that community atmosphere that has/had been heavily prevalent within the regional boards for years.

Activity here in our boards gives players a sense of purpose towards participating in the community, especially newcomers. Every single individual who enters tournaments should be on these boards and we should all know these players by their alias and IRL name. This should be a major priority, even more so than the game itself.

Ya Niko if you had a beef with me, you should of PMed me. Instead of causing more drama onto the boards like you did with the Toy Trove. *rolls eyes*.

Ulevo

Smash Master

Yo.

Just because SWF is the go-to source of information, and Facebook is not, doesn't exempt the fact that Facebook is a media with a wider demographic. It should be viewed as a tool to net more people in to the community and have them visit the boards. Relying on these boards as the sole means to connect has its limitations. For starters, newer players who want a competitive experience but are unaware of these boards and their regional sections are less likely to come here. Facebook groups are yet another outlet and tool to use to reach out to newer attendees.

From a pragmatic standpoint, Engo is right. These forums are not easily advertised nor accessible unless you already know where to look. You'll need a pragmatic approach if you want new players to keep coming in.

Engo

Smash Ace
I personally think that Facebook has the potential to create a more tight knight community. It's faster, people are on there all the time, and along with the fact that you can see real names and often people's pictures, it creates an overall more community-like and approachable atmosphere to a new player.

Of course we still gotta keep an eye on these regional threads to redirect new players to different sections of the forum or to the fb group as well as to communicate with people from other regions but I really do think FB is overall a much better tool for the community than these threads.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I completely agree with all your points. Just feel that we shouldn't treat FB as the primary tool even though it has less limitations.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Swf is the place to learn all the info is here and discussion with worldwide smashers. Fb is for random ****, regional **** and event stuff. K done.

Lets get back to the guy girl match up. The metagame for guys is moving towards shaving everything when chest hair was the bread and butter back in the old school days.

Top Bottom