• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Goddamn Rogers internet. Already hit my bandwidth cap and I haven't even downloaded anything this month.

Does anyone here have any experience with Tek Savvy? I've heard good things and under 40$/month for 300 gig sounds good compared to Rogers which is about the same price for 60 gigs but change is always a scary thing. Not to mention I think Rogers is slowing down my internet for torrenting which apparently a thing they're doing and going to court over whereas Tek Savvy allows for unlimited downloading between 2-8 A.M. which is when most people torrent lol.

idea

Smash Master
yes, they definitely are throttling your torrents, i have tested this myself by downloading the same file with hundreds of seeds on my friends' similar speed internet vs. my own. on theirs it was consistently 1.2 mBps, on mine it would fluctuate wildly.

stupid rogers

Rikana

Smash Champion
Definitely get tek savvy. The only reason why im sticking with Rogers is cause of the discount package and my tenants isn't familiar with anything else. Else, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Tek savvy still uses rogers's service but tek savvy has the authority over what you're doing rather than Rogers. Not all locations can get access to it though. Make sure your location is available before making the purchase.

:phone:

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Tek savvy still uses rogers's service but tek savvy has the authority over what you're doing rather than Rogers.
That's what I heard, I really want to switch but like you it's not up to me. Have to convince my dad who always complains about Rogers but doesn't trust anybody else. :c

Bing

Smash Master
Savvy is legit, I want to switch but I have cogeco giving on a deal on our Cable+Internet. Plus at this point its all I need.

Also, won two 5$ money matches against MED$ lmfao. 2-0 Falco vs Doc. 3-1 Pichu vs Doc.

We have a legit scene building in a hurry, first Niagara tournament in awhile is at the end of November, looks like we'll have roughly 25 people.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I think we should be advertising these through FB and similar social media more often than we do. I feel a lot of people don't check the boards or are unaware of them.

Hatcrab Zombie

Smash Cadet
I was on TekSavvy in Toronto. The service is fantastic. Just make sure you get the cheapest modem from them and use your own wireless router. Their wireless router/modem is bad.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Thanks a lot, I was wondering about that because I didn't even want to buy their modem but I'm pretty sure you have to buy one.

unknown522

Some guy
I just asked a really trustworthy buddy for things like this, and he tells me it's excellent.

Though he's on bell sympatico because of some super deal he gets

Wang.

Smash Apprentice
Using teksavvy right now.

No complaints. I bought the docsis 3.0 modem (just in case i wanted to upgrade) and yeah, no problems yet, they even set up a new cable line.

unknown522

Some guy
Alright people. For those who want to go to RoM 5, we need to buy the bus tickets by like tmrw at the latest if you don't want a price increase. It costs $108 round trip with greyhound's advance purchase.

That being said, housing has not been sorted yet and may come down to hotel

Windrose

Smash Lord
tek savvy is location dependent. they don't offer cable everywhere. they have DSL OR CABLE.

in my location in markham, only DSL is offered.

Also, quality of service will vary depending on location as well. At the place I stayed at in mississauga, tek savvy would have random down times (I called them and they said there's nothing we can do about the downtimes, it just happens in some areas at random; so it wasn't an internal issue from the house or w/e). But this never happens right now in Hamilton. We're using DSL though and the speed is okay...

DSL service varies greatly though depending on location, if the phone lines in your area is old then it will be crappy.

Cable is affected by amount of users in your area. if a lot of people use internet at the same time in your area, then your cable internet will throttle.

==========

tl;dr give it a try, it's much cheaper than bell or rogers. if you don't like it you can just switch back.
-choice between DSL or Cable tekksavvy is location dependent.

Top Bottom