• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Anth0ny

Smash Master
oooooh T12 will have team sp00ky streaming

I'm guessing Melee isn't going to be there? Melee on a sp00ky stream would be godlike =(

T8 was my first Melee and Brawl tournament. memories of getting 4 stocked multiple times in Melee and getting 8th in Brawl with Marth =)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
lol would anyone call me brave for maining Kirby?

Speaking of Kirby, anyone else think he should be ranked above Pichu?
No. No.

Haha yeah I was pretty certain I'd have to come out to the GTA to actually get some playing in. Do you guys do weeklies or something?
Pay attention to either this thread or the facebook group. Most events and stuff get discussed in one of the two groups (or both).

In general I (or Idea) host smashfests on the weekend. Usually Saturdays to some day. I also sometimes do them during the week.

They're all filed under trash.
Yes.

no bing, pichu is better definitely.

but yeah, bowser is the worst char IMO. Then like kirby and ness.

Pichu has some actual combos on some characters, effective CGs, and has the speed to catch characters if they try to run away. Kirby and bowser just can't catch some characters, like fox and falcon.
Yeah, losing to movement camping is like the worst thing you can possibly lose to in this game because it means the opponent doesn't need a shred of combat skill in order to beat you. Which is incredibly lame.

Also, Jigglypuff should never be hit by Kirby on Kongo Jungle 64.

nah, Kirby has combos too. I use Kirby a lot to play against Ganon.(I dunno, it just works for me) Mind I defs agree with the Ness and Bowser thing. I've been trying to play as Ness for a few days now and I just cant do it. He's so small and has such poor Range.

Btw, Does anyone here know how to paint controllers and what paint to use?

Do you just take it apart and then paint the plastic with spray paint?
Kirby's combos suck and are mostly 2-steps off his Fair (Fair > f/d-tilt or grab, etc.), something involving up tilt, or weak Nair > up tilt / other moves. Or some form of ghetto down throw tech chasing. He has some amusing traps with his Dair but they require some serious positioning and silliness on the behalf of your opponent.

Really, all Kirby has going for him is his duck, shield, grab range, like 2-4 moves with decent priority, and a decent wavedash. Everything else is bad or worse.

kirby has like...uptilt to bair...uptilt to uptilt to bair...sometimes bair to bair...but that's about it really
He actually has a lot more than that. But it's mostly 2-step stuff. He has some funny stuff off of up smash and f-smash too, but those are incredibly situational.

Ness is definitely not the worst character.

In my opinion, bottom four looks like this: Ness > Pichu > Bowser > Kirby. Ness has no range, granted, but has somewhat reliable options, primarily from DJC Bair or his throws.

He's horrible, just better than the other 3. Still, you're dumb for picking them in tournament unless you're Simna or WarriorKnight.
Simna did well in tournaments?

ignore everyone else, use who you want, just dont expect to win anything if youre using terrible characters

take it from me
Yes.

Lol I know what my real mains are. Im just saying im going to main Kirby for the lawls XD
So we can ignore you?

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
Simna? Not really, but he did master the character. A garbage one, but still.

Not very many people can overcome all the significant weaknesses and break through plateaus enough to even remotely use a bottom tier character and perform somewhat well.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You are confusing me.

My question was: "Did he do well in tournaments?"

You said, "No. But he mastered his character, overcame all Ness's significant weaknesses, and broke through plateaus. In doing so he used a bottom tier character and performed somewhat well."

Your last two sentences contradict your first answer: "No". So did he do well or not?

I'm genuinely curious. All I know about him is that he didn't make it out of pools at 0C3 (though the pool sheet looks a lil' screwy on AiB) and otherwise... I have no knowledge of his tournament performance outside of that one.

Cyan_

Smash Lord
You are confusing me.

You said, "No. But he mastered his character, overcame all Ness's significant weaknesses, and broke through plateaus. In doing so he used a bottom tier character and performed somewhat well."

Your last two sentences contradict your first answer: "No". So did he do well or not?

I'm genuinely curious. All I know about him is that he didn't make it out of pools at 0C3 (though the pool sheet looks a lil' screwy on AiB) and otherwise... I have no knowledge of his tournament performance outside of that one.
he has a cool combo video tho

Crooked Crow

You are confusing me.

I should've clarified. Sorry.

What I was meaning is that Simna himself may not have done well in a tournament environment, but players possessing enough potential with their low tiers can extrapolate that perhaps. So while those two players may or may not have been solid in controlled settings, they certainly have developed their character enough to the point where a dull sword becomes a sharp one. And they are clearly quite good, but unless you're on a level that matches or exceeds this, you're not playing a viable character and will drown against competent players.

It was more or less directed at Bing and his rampant advertising about maining Kirby, which is for obvious reasons not a clear choice if you're an average player looking to win.

Bing

Smash Master
holy christ that was a lot to read...

I suppose you could David... it was never intended to Develope into a mass convo, just a question....
regardless, I still love my Falco and Marth too much too ditch... So anyways... Ness is terrible...

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

What I was meaning is that Simna himself may not have done well in a tournament environment, but players possessing enough potential with their low tiers can extrapolate that perhaps.
I'm not sure what this means. Are you saying Simna sucks but mastered Ness and that someone with greater player potential could do well with him if they also mastered Ness?

If so, I strongly disagree. You are free to bring up Axe as an example as to why low tiers can succeed, but I'll remind the audience I might not look at that argument with too much seriousness for a variety of reasons. Namely having to do with Pikachu's movement, more spammable moves, greater speed, heavier hits, recovery... the list goes on. I don't even consider Pikachu low tier (neither does the current tier list iirc), and there is a big difference between dealing with the game's 11-15th best character and dealing with someone almost indisputably in the bottom 4.

So while those two players may or may not have been solid in controlled settings, they certainly have developed their character enough to the point where a dull sword becomes a sharp one.
Even if you can do all the things that Mofo or Simna can do, Ness is still a horrific, incomplete abomination of a character with extremely little potential. When you actually think about his "advanced techniques", they don't really fix a lot of what cripples him. It's like having a really slow race car. But to fix it, the mechanic puts cooler rims on it and add flame decals. While this makes it more visually appealing, its main issue has never been addressed: it's a fucking slow car.

Ness's advanced recovery strategies are similar. Ness's DJCs are similar. The Yo-Yo glitch as a whole is similar. I'm not going to bother explaining why these things are so underwhelming but you're welcome to challenge me on it if you can't figure out why; maybe you'll eek out a response that way.

tl;dr mastered Ness is still crap. This dull sword gets marginally less dull. But it still won't cut wood and even characters as mediocre as Luigi and Ganon will still club you over the head until you die because Ness is horrible.

And they are clearly quite good, but unless you're on a level that matches or exceeds this, you're not playing a viable character and will drown against competent players.
Ness still fucking sucks. What the hell are you talking about.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I never said Ness was good.

What I was meaning is that Simna himself may not have done well in a tournament environment, but players possessing enough potential with their low tiers can extrapolate that perhaps. So while those two players may or may not have been solid in controlled settings, they certainly have developed their character enough to the point where a dull sword becomes a sharp one. And they are clearly quite good, but unless you're on a level that matches or exceeds this, you're not playing a viable character and will drown against competent players.
My apologies. I get so confused talking to you sometimes.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I made the mistake of thinking you saying: "they develop their characters to the point where a sharp sword becomes a dull one" means something along the lines of:

"Simna developed his Ness to the point where Ness became threatening."

But you are talking about his skills as a player and whatnot.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I should really refrain from talking about low tiers with anyone in this thread.

I'm incredibly biased against them.

I would likely be happier if most of them didn't exist.

Crooked Crow

More or less, yeah. Plateaus can be broken through, but Ness is really bad to the point you still face significant disadvantages.

Bing, you should totally main Kirby! You'll ****.

Bing

Smash Master
On another note, Is Uairing out of shine good or should I just bair and try to re-proach/ try to string the combo along that way. I generally do a shine to Uair at around 30-50%v and then try to uair again, if not, then bair... any thoughts?

Kason Birdman

Smash Champion
On another note, Is Uairing out of shine good or should I just bair and try to re-proach/ try to string the combo along that way. I generally do a shine to Uair at around 30-50%v and then try to uair again, if not, then bair... any thoughts?
are you talking about falco....?

I mean.. the only time i shine upair with falco is for an off the top kill on yoshis against a marf or a sheik or something just for lolz.

its not very good lol.

or are you talking about waveshine against a fox or falco and then follow up with an uair?

if so, kk's right, most the time just dair lol.

Bing

Smash Master
Yeah okay, I was talking about Dair, I use it a lot on Ganon but I suppose if Dair's better... which it probably is considering Uair ****s up and you get those like, 3% hits.

sauc3

Smash Lord
um, ya so its rly late notice sry, but i wanted to come to toronto today, around 8, can anyone house me? david/kyle/ryan/other david?

i can just come sat then if noone can house me.

Top Bottom