• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
JPOBS we need to have a fox ditto sometime. I need to get a little better first but Im getting there slowly.

Zombies sucks

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea for sure. we can hit it up.

and nah man zombies rapeesss. made it to level 31 last night by myself. imma go for the solo world record over reading week.

idea

Smash Master
so i tried playing melee today and my wrist felt fine.

the only reason i would be 'unable' to play is if the cast i get (in a day or two) is too big and makes it difficult to hold the controller.

in which case i'll just play anyway and have a really good john. i might as well, i can't get a refund now.

unknown522

Some guy
wow, those PS were crazy. He went under the other lasers every time.

Also, we finally played Super Meat Boy at kurtis' place. It's a pretty damn good game.

idea

Smash Master
wow, those PS were crazy. He went under the other lasers every time.

Also, we finally played Super Meat Boy at kurtis' place. It's a pretty damn good game.
yeah, i was playing it a lot a week or two ago. some of the levels are so hard...i'm on the last level of the light world, but there's a trick with it at the end that i keep forgetting about, so i keep getting to the very end then doing that part wrong. sucks.

but even dark world 2 or 3 is harder than the last light world.

Ministry

Smash Ace
im more confused on how he reacts to illusions and does gimps but he cant tech chase worth ****. his upthrow combos/chases are interesting to say the least but i think unnessasry.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Damn, I wanted to have my smashfest on the 26th. Now people are going to say they are going to ottawa.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
How do you guys feel about platform camp vs Falco?

I think it's alright because you're not being shot at but it also kind of fails because then you're above Falco, which means he can **** you.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
i don't think sheik is that good at it. but i don't play her much so i dunno.

her dashing aorund on platforms is kinda...wierd..cuz of the nature of her dash
and her low aerial mobility and weak priority below her makes transversing from one platform to the other a vulnerability. (or atleast it does to me because thats when im usually like ok she in the air now free hit)
the angle of her needles is good for stop falco from charging her randomly tho

what do u think david?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
@ Jack

i mean, it's good. but it gets old real fast.

move out of way > free move incidentally is also good and counters predictable nonsense like that.

see, the trouble i have with the "platform camp > character" theory is that to have any sort of presence you kind of have to come off the platform with a move or whatever at some point. and it's relatively easy for falco to position himself in such a manner that he can stuff your move, or simply avoid it.

that you're coming straight down also limits the amount of ground you can effectively cover.

i used to think platform camp = ggnore falco but it really doesn't feel like that. does it put the game into a more neutral position than being shot at? sure. but it doesn't grant freebie approaches or whatever. he still seems to have an adequate defense. maybe my platform game sucks but i think he's actually well equipped to deal with some of this garbage. some of his moves hit through platforms when he SHs, which is usually a pretty good defense against it.

@ Tristan

her platform camping is alright. her priority being above her and to the sides can be a problem but she has some alright stuff, namely wd back off platform fair, and platform drop fair, and stuff like that, which can stuff some approaches. the needles are the main draw. however, the shortcoming of the needles are that it's pretty easy to position yourself outside their range, and since she has to jump to shoot them, it's not really that hard to get past them.

it's useful to be good at it, but you're not going to beat falco on platforms alone. you're just not positioned to get any important hits if you do it that way. at some point you have to fight him on the ground.

the absolute best use of chilling on platforms with sheik vs falco is to get falco to FH laser when you charge needles on platform. then you just cancel and run off waveland forward and try to stop him from shooting from there. even better if he's ******** and lands on the platform to do that Isai drop crap, which really just lags him more. it's most useful on big levels like dreamland and pokemon. fails entirely if falco is somewhat intelligent and just waits, unless you somehow start outcamping him (which should be impossible).

JPOBS

Smash Hero
yea i was gonna say, if he lands on the plat with lasers and tries to isai drop through thats when he get boned.

why'd u bring up platform camping falco btw, just curious.

Acidile

Smash Journeyman
OH GOD PLATFORM CAMPING

I absolutely hate it, mainly because the entire way I play Sheik revolves around super-predictable platform movement. I think I'd actually be sooo much better if I just learned to play grounded.

My problems aside, I really don't think it's that great. It's mainly due to the fact that there's a huge disparity in payoffs for landing hits when sheik is on the platforms. Landing spaced aerials out of platform drops CAN be very effective, but it rarely leads into a completely guaranteed combo. If a Falco predicts or counters alot of platform movement, a well placed utilt/shine can lead into some brutal combos.

The only real exception to this is really strong needle play, but needle-grab is HARDLY guaranteed, AND requires charged needles. I don't even think it works against really good people. Not to mention on the stages you will probably play against falco on in a set, it's not really that great.

Outplaying Falco on the ground leads to wayyy better positions for Sheik, and really isn't super hard as long as you can properly deal with lasers.

I don't think it's TOO bad at low percents, and I think platform movement is a totally needed OPTION for Sheiks. But as a general playstyle against Falco, I don't think that it's very good.

idea

Smash Master
meh, i pretty much agree with david. it's still pretty easy for falco to coax you off the platform. and if you move to the top platform that's not as menacing as usual since falco jumps so high. plus he can do that thing where he jumps up, shines, wavedashes down and continues shield pressure as usual (if you shield...which you might have to do if needles miss).

sauc3

Smash Lord
lol that was pretty but m2k sorta has a weird anti spacie game with sheik... after watching kk so many times lol

have you ever played his sheik, ryan?
yeah, beat him in a mm at ROM 2. He kept taking me back to yoshis

yeah, i was playing it a lot a week or two ago. some of the levels are so hard...i'm on the last level of the light world, but there's a trick with it at the end that i keep forgetting about, so i keep getting to the very end then doing that part wrong. sucks.

but even dark world 2 or 3 is harder than the last light world.
damn. Can't wait to get that far.

How do you guys feel about platform camp vs Falco?

I think it's alright because you're not being shot at but it also kind of fails because then you're above Falco, which means he can **** you.
meh *shakes hand sideways*

-Ryan Ford

Acidile

Smash Journeyman
Also, are people going to be anywhere playing tomorrow night? Depending on how my schoolwork progresses I might be around to come chill/practice/etc.

I know a few of us are playing in Oakville on Thursday.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
u should of done ur own commentary. that way the viewer gets to hear the reaction, laugh, cry etc

idea

Smash Master
you can hear him too if you turn up the volume.

that looks fun, too bad i couldn't come. by the way, i have one of those controllers that works on pc games, so you can play super meat boy with a controller next time you're here.

Top Bottom