• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

idea

Smash Master
haha. i've been trying to figure out for a while why ability to win isn't the same as skill (matchup imbalance aside). that's my best guess at the moment...haha, so in a sense, it actually is mindgames.

in other news i no longer care very much about tournament results =P

idea

Smash Master
well...cause...they don't seem to mean very much. i mean, the implication is always that they're related to how good someone is, but there are so many upsets that don't follow that pattern. tournaments seem to really not be that useful for that purpose. that's what i meant by that.

I.B

Smash Lord
well...cause...they don't seem to mean very much. i mean, the implication is always that they're related to how good someone is, but there are so many upsets that don't follow that pattern. tournaments seem to really not be that useful for that purpose. that's what i meant by that.
Well, tournament results have always been pretty accurate in showing a player's skill in relation to others. But you gotta understand, Melee is a deep game, and IMO, there is no such thing as linear hierarchy in Melee.

tha_carter

Smash Ace
Canada should ride this victory and have a big tourney now. Im sure people would wanna come. Especially Mango for a rematch.

Does anybody know how unknown522 or KirbyKaze did?

idea

Smash Master
Well, tournament results have always been pretty accurate in showing a player's skill in relation to others. But you gotta understand, Melee is a deep game, and IMO, there is no such thing as linear hierarchy in Melee.
yeah, agreed, but like...if kage can beat mango twice, maybe it's not all THAT linear. again, nothing against him though.

Metà

Smash Master
Canada should ride this victory and have a big tourney now. Im sure people would wanna come. Especially Mango for a rematch.

Does anybody know how unknown522 or KirbyKaze did?
idk but unknown threw a chair

that's right, in Canada we don't throw controllers, we throw chairs. all business, b*tches

get@us

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
Mango probably has no Ganondorf practice
yeah, agreed, but like...if kage can beat mango twice, maybe it's not all THAT linear. again, nothing against him though.
mango'll **** him next time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsHP94bvXs

thats all i gotta say guys,

lol just let kage have his time to shine i dont understand why everyone is hating on him, sayin ohhh hes not really that good, mango was sandbagging, mango lost in tourney there are no excuesses, no one paids money then sandbags a match anyone who does is ethier 1 a lier or 2 stupid.

this is melee and melee is a game where anything can happen no theres no such thing as the "best player" cuz the best player can lose

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
LOL i called it, you guys should have gotten on the live stream, also there was talk of ppl spamming the canadain flag is that true?

I'm changing people's truthes.. lol. Samurai where you at? haha.
yo warrior my ***, the samurai would have won that tourney, come to toronto kage i'm still waiting for my rematch vs ur ganon lol u have no money johns now!!!!!

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLsHP94bvXs

thats all i gotta say guys,

lol just let kage have his time to shine i dont understand why everyone is hating on him, sayin ohhh hes not really that good, mango was sandbagging, mango lost in tourney there are no excuesses, no one paids money then sandbags a match anyone who does is ethier 1 a lier or 2 stupid.

this is melee and melee is a game where anything can happen no theres no such thing as the "best player" cuz the best player can lose
yo yo, I'm giving mad props to kage, all I'm saying is that I don't think he could pull it off the next time he'll face mango. but now he's covered with fear, others are gonna be scared of kage, but mango is gonna be tuned as **** the next time they face. if kage does it a second time, then it'll be awesome 100%, but for now this is just 70% awesome to me.

all I'm saying is "kage, don't stop, do it again". the next test is the real test, because people are stupid and depending on the results, it'll be "wow mango beat kage this time, I guess mango was off the other time etc." or "omfg kage is the real deal, best player i nthe world !!+shifty1ones".

idea

Smash Master

no one's saying that X_X that's only in the rom2 thread. and i don't think there's any way to get smashers to stop arguing once they've started, unfortunately.

raynex posting:

when kage won the second time, me pbnj, josh and ryan walked out of the room screaming simultaneously.
haha, i was picturing you guys reacting to that.

unknown522

Some guy
9th: raynex
13th: unknown522
13th: kirbykaze

- mike and josh didn't make it out of pools.
- Bernard knocked david out of the bracket.
- I should've gotten at least 9th, but SD'd

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Everyone did pretty well at Rom2. I'm so proud of Canada yayuhz.

KK beasted Lucky in some friendlies. Almost 4 stocked him once.
Ryan beasted like everyone in fox dittos in and out of tournament.
I beasted pretty much every Falco I played for the first time ever.

idea

Smash Master
9th: raynex
13th: unknown522
13th: kirbykaze

- mike and josh didn't make it out of pools.
- Bernard knocked david out of the bracket.
- I should've gotten at least 9th, but SD'd
who were in/above them in mike and josh's pools? and...that sucks.

you're gonna have to tell me about vanz on wednesday =P from the sounds of it at least two people at that tourney were pretty mad at him. (or maybe that was that sd?)

were any of those on recording tvs?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Not many friendlies were recorded. Ryan vs. Vanz was on a recording TV, and my mm with Mogwai and all of my tourny sets excluding my set vs. Swiftbass were on recording tvs. David was doing his sets on the tvs in the back so I'm not sure.

When David 2-0ed Scar he should have got it recorded. :(
Also, Ryan 4 stocking Irish Mafia would be cool to see again.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
dammm david 2-0ed scar lol i wish i came with u guys so ****ing badly!!!!!!

god dam and irish mafia wtf guys just ****** all the good falcons, who else from the falcon boards did u guys ****?

idea

Smash Master
Not many friendlies were recorded. Ryan vs. Vanz was on a recording TV, and my mm with Mogwai and all of my tourny sets excluding my set vs. Swiftbass were on recording tvs. David was doing his sets on the tvs in the back so I'm not sure.

When David 2-0ed Scar he should have got it recorded. :(
Also, Ryan 4 stocking Irish Mafia would be cool to see again.
hahaha

if you go back a page or two, i posted something like 'i hope david plays some falcons in brackets'

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace

lol last time canada got ***** this time canada ***** back gg guys

Also for those at rom just reminding u if u didnt c my post before the new trailer is almost done for TT i just need a new clip from bernard doing a combo or something cool everything i have now has already been used somewhere.....

Europhoria

Smash Lord
I lost to Hax 2-0 and Lucky 2-1 in 2nd round. I might have played 3 games outside of doubles on the 2nd day. Maybe even less. I lost 2 straight money matches to Thorn, I basically lost to everybody all weekend. This tournament was the first time I legitimately people anywhere near my level (despite how bad I am now) or higher in singles in about a month. I just feel disgusted. I'm sure HMW cutting power in that teams match and lots of other crap contributed to it though.

My skill level at RoM2 was considerably lower then it was 8 months ago at the first RoM. Playing once every 2-3 weeks is pretty >_>. I wish I was lucky enough to be able to keep going OOS, or playing often/at all even. My playing gonna continue to go downhill. I'm pretty sure Afro_Chris is considerably better then me now actually. I can’t envision any scenario from this point on where things would improve.

Beyond the losing, I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna feel emo at every tournament because of the disparity I feel over the level of play I think I should be at/want to be at, and how impossible it is for me to deal the problem itself, and the subsequent emo-ness.

I gave my controller to Cactuar after the tournament (scrap it for parts pl0x), for a lot of reasons… I think I'm pretty much done. But I suppose I'm still open to miracles <_<

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I lost to Hax 2-0 and Lucky 2-1 in 2nd round. I might have played 3 games outside of doubles on the 2nd day. Maybe even less. I lost 2 straight money matches to Thorn, I basically lost to everybody all weekend. This tournament was the first time I legitimately people anywhere near my level (despite how bad I am now) or higher in singles in about a month. I just feel disgusted. I'm sure HMW cutting power in that teams match and lots of other crap contributed to it though.

My skill level at RoM2 was considerably lower then it was 8 months ago at the first RoM. Playing once every 2-3 weeks is pretty >_>. I wish I was lucky enough to be able to keep going OOS, or playing often/at all even. My playing gonna continue to go downhill. I'm pretty sure Afro_Chris is considerably better then me now actually. I can’t envision any scenario from this point on where things would improve.

Beyond the losing, I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna feel emo at every tournament because of the disparity I feel over the level of play I think I should be at/want to be at, and how impossible it is for me to deal the problem itself, and the subsequent emo-ness.

I gave my controller to Cactuar after the tournament (scrap it for parts pl0x), for a lot of reasons… I think I'm pretty much done. But I suppose I'm still open to miracles <_<
lol noob
everyone has bad tournaments
snap out of it

Top Bottom