• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greater Toronto Area Thread - The other other other other other other other other Pokemon Thread

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
you mean the level below me?

yeah i know.

but what imadh doesn't know is that through selective training and magical powers and mental supression i'm keeping him there ;)

i kid. imadh owns my soul. and most of my body.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Lol. I wasn't sandbagging you at Georgia...

I was trying super hard to beat you without using my C-stick because I said I wouldn't use c-stick through pools. Aaaand I got *****. :(

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
^ its all about fastest XD.
LOL well i try playing starcraft..
when i go to my cousins thats when im able to play.
right now i have it installed and everything but then the internet is being gay LOL.
and plus i need like better stages.
like the ones from StarLeague and such they use in Japan.

idea

Smash Master
Does anyone here play Starcraft competitively/in an ownage fashion? If so, what do you think of Starcraft 2?
often, one computer opponent on a low difficulty level can beat me.
i actually like to take my time and build things up unnecessarily.
starcraft is not the game for me.

one time in warcraft 2 i played on one of the 'custom' (but built-in) maps, and once i saw i was winning by a lot, i decided to cover nearly the whole map with buildings. i had like 30 castles.

starcraft 2 looked fun. perhaps i will buy it and only play the single player campaign. ...

Osman

Smash Apprentice
I always liked RTS games, but I was always so bad at them :laugh:. I hear you Kyle, I always liked to take my time, amass a huge army, then just walk them into an enemy base and let them do their thang (no micro here :)); most times I wouldn't get this far, because I'd get rushed early on (which I thought was very "cheap"). But it seems like such a deep game, one worth exploring.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
my biggest accomplishment in starcraft online was locking down 8 or 9 BCs saving my friends base. LOL
thats pretty much it XD

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Do any of you make a point to include perfect shielding in your game? I only do it by accident, it seems like if someone could master consistent perfect shielding, they'd be too good. We could have a Melee equivalent of a Daigo full parry on our hands, perfect shielding every hit of Fox's drill or something :laugh:.

Moe)2

Smash Apprentice
Any word on the next melee event?
and just for the record I play Starcraft, msg me we can play sometime ;) ... not fastest tho =/

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
Do any of you make a point to include perfect shielding in your game? I only do it by accident, it seems like if someone could master consistent perfect shielding, they'd be too good. We could have a Melee equivalent of a Daigo full parry on our hands, perfect shielding every hit of Fox's drill or something :laugh:.
from wat i heard pkm power shields 2 a combo

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Yeah same
i dont know i might as well come over if thiers nothing happenning and like crash.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
stos.....i dont even no wat 2 say to this match....
stfu i was sand bagging.
i was ****** him games games and games and then i was like you know what take a 4 stock from sooots XD nahh
its a legit 4 stock..
seriously.
XD

idea

Smash Master
That's awesome, and I bet that works really well for him.

I imagine a power shielding Jiggs would be ridiculous, you could punish everything with a rest (hint hint Kyle :)).
yeah, i'll get right on that. just as soon as i learn to l-cancel all my moves. <_<

it helped me learn things anyway though. if l-canceling moves is hard, find ways to autocancel them!

i now autocancel bairs, nairs and dairs. autocanceled dair to fsmash looks hilarious. i don't think it's an actual combo, but it seems to work occasionally.

edit: man, shine is really good in this game. it's not fair that falcon falls that fast. shine really shouldn't kill him instantly like that.

Afro_Chris

Smash Ace
yeah, i'll get right on that. just as soon as i learn to l-cancel all my moves. <_<

it helped me learn things anyway though. if l-canceling moves is hard, find ways to autocancel them!

i now autocancel bairs, nairs and dairs. autocanceled dair to fsmash looks hilarious. i don't think it's an actual combo, but it seems to work occasionally.

u cant L cancel kyle? wtf....

idea

Smash Master
yeah, i can =P but i screw it up on some moves more often than i should. dair especially, but sometimes jigglypuff's other aerials too. as far as i know i never/almost never miss them with high tiers though...with the exception of fox and falco. they just do a lot of moves.

soap

Smash Hero

edit: man, shine is really good in this game. it's not fair that falcon falls that fast. shine really shouldn't kill him instantly like that.
ya autocancelling is way underrated in melee, everyone just bluntly throws **** out cuz they can just l-cancel it. but autocancelling takes finesse and has even less lag.

that is one thing i started doing in melee cuz of brawl.

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Is anything going down soon?

Christian i like your epic phailures in our match xD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwodi4bgamA
You're seriously 15? I wasn't even close to as good as you when I was 15, wow.

Watching this video, and others in this set, it's clear that you have a solid grasp of mindgames, but your execution is lacking; you don't take full advantage of the situations you're setting up, and it's costing you matches. Fixing that just comes with playing a lot of people. You're making a lot of careless errors, like air dodging off stage, fast falling off the edge to your death, and f-airs; slow down a bit, don't get carried away.

By the way, the combo at 1:45 in this video is so **** good, but it's too bad you killed yourself :laugh:.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, his falcon is kind of silly =P you can bet he's not trying his hardest here. the falcon punch edgeguards and multiple suicides kind of give that away.

also, mindgames don't seem to be as big a part of this game as they used to be. that word made more sense in the days of ken and azen, with new strategies coming up every tournament and all those unexpected fsmashes, but now the focus has shifted to a more, shall we say, mew2king-like style of play. more thought has been put into covering the most options for what the opponent can do, and for what your character can do - endless, devastating combos. "mindgames" as they exist now are better named as "baiting" your opponent to become vulnerable and "reacting" to their actions.

mindgames are still there, but they don't seem nearly as important now. it's more about being careful and observant than tricking your opponent with crazy strategies and moves. i mean, if the opponent is watching you carefully, they'll see your attempt to mindgame them and punish you in the vulnerability or lag.

correct me if i'm wrong guys =D

Osman

Smash Apprentice
Everything you just described as not being mindgames is mindgames :bee:.

Oh man, talking about mindgames is such a lengthy and involved process, and it's so late, but it's a really great discussion to have. I won't really go in depth now, we can discuss it at the next fest.

Mindgames is anything and everything you do as a player in order to penetrate your opponent's defense, score a hit, taking the game from a "push-and-pull" phase to a "punishment" phase, where you deal damage or perform a combo. Mindgames is not limited to ****ing with your opponent's mind, that's just a facet of it. Would you ever be able to land a hit if you played an extremely linear and transparent game? Definitely not. Whenever you play, have you ever considered why what you just did worked? Like with Fox, if I just spam n-air > shines all dai, eventually one will connect. Why? Because I controlled space, limited my opponents options and forced him to challenge my high priority n-air or have his shield broken.

I manipulated my opponent, I put him exactly where I wanted him without him being aware of it, and punished him for it. That's mindgames. After I finish my combo, and the game reverts to a neutral phase, my opponent will expect nair > shines; at this point I mix up my game, I'll do empty jumps, dash dancing, whatever, and grab. Mindgames again; I didn't necessarily mind**** him, I just broke out of my pattern and continued to press my advantange.

I'm too tired now to keep talking, and I know I haven't really represented myself well, but yeah, some other time.

Osman

Smash Apprentice

The more cheese there is, the more holes there are.

The more holes there are, the less cheese there is.

So, the more cheese there is, the less cheese there is.

MINDGAMES.

idea

Smash Master
i remember learning about mindgames when i first started playing smash. i see your points but the word doesn't seem to fit.

actually, i don't even like the word anymore. it's not useful for it to refer to nearly everything you do. how then do you distinguish between "mindgames" and "playing super smash bros"? i use it to mean, playing games with their mind.

how often do you notice yourself in a match actively trying to trick your opponent? thinking to yourself "if i run up and wavedash back, they won't be expecting it, and then i can hit them!" that could be much more easily described as baiting your opponent into doing something. you may be tricking them, but it's a pretty simple trick. and if they expect it from you, they'll just wait for you to wavedash back then run up and grab you or something. could that be called mindgames too? i'd call that reacting, observing, or predicting.

again, it's the word that bothers me, not the actual events we're talking about here. "controlling space" is not a mindgame. why would it be called that? you're good at filling up space with moves and keeping your opponent away from you, there's no trickery involved there.

the other reason it bothers me is just overuse. same thing happened with "random." remember when people called everything random? it's kind of died down but that one bugged me too. it's also an adjective which has almost no meaning (basically "very different from the current discussion topic"), so it's even more irritating to use it to describe everything. then you're just filling up your sentences with useless words.

people use too many words. just look at my post here. that probably could have been three sentences. i'm not even sure what my main point is anymore. so now you have to reply to all of it.

Jagg

Smash Journeyman
Hi it's David.

First, I trick you guys all the time therefore mindgames are legit.

But, yeah, they're not really "real", mindgames is a term that was old in 2005. We've moved past that whole spiel only some new people every now and then dredge it up to be awesome (it's listed in all the old guides so when people read they think it's important; not to mention the massive wall of text posts on which is more important from the old days). It's not a bad term in theory, but it was never clearly defined (with a generally accepted definition, anyways). And because of that it became a generalization and sort of all encompassing term for reads, predictions, space control, and even manipulation of the moon's phases to make nocturnal animals more likely to mate.

Random was a mistake. We're not a super literate culture in terms of in-person conversational ability. Actually, we're not that better on the internet either :laugh:

Random is just a misused word that in description and phonetics seems aesthetically pleasing in a sentence.

Penis.

Sanu

Smash Champion

The more cheese there is, the more holes there are.

The more holes there are, the less cheese there is.

So, the more cheese there is, the less cheese there is.

MINDGAMES.
Proportionality constants, etc.

@Marco, did you see my fly-**** post? :3 Also... for Kyle:

MINDGAMES MINDGAMES MINDGAMES MINDGAMES

Top Bottom