• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Random question, but how good is Akali top? I remember awhile back Shaya was singing her praises as a top laner. I don't know the champion well, but I want to learn a top laner that lanes similar to Shen (Q spam, energy, utility spell, gapcloser eg.) but don't want to play Shen because I'm sick of getting 1v1'd by people who I'm literally hundreds of gold ahead of.

I know she's known as a teamfighting assassin but how good is she as a 1v1ing splitpusher?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
If you're getting 1v1'd as Shen when you're ahead gold wise it means you're probably doing something wrong.

Like not building Statikk.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
If you're getting 1v1'd as Shen when you're ahead gold wise it means you're probably doing something wrong.

Like not building Statikk.
Yeah I'm building full tank. Even then I've been 1v1'd by a Mundo and Voli when I had 2-3 tank items and they just had 1. I once got 1v1d as by a 2 1 J4 when I was 8 1 (full tank). We just used our abilities on each other and he won.

If I pay Shen again I'm just gonna rush a Trinity Force first item or something.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
those 4v5s where you're winning by a giant margin in kills but they just gradually choke you out with map pressure and rotations, such a heartbreaker.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
those 4v5s where you're winning by a giant margin in kills but they just gradually choke you out with map pressure and rotations, such a heartbreaker.
IMO it's natural to be in that situation depending on team comp. People scaling by levels on by a lot on the 4v5 team are going to be getting levels faster, if teams plan for it at 1 minute in, you so often find a hard working 4 man team able to hold their own for a very long time. It doesn't matter though if the enemy has one of like... Ziggs, Old Gragas, etc. There's just no way for a team to be able to (as you say) out rotate, and if they're in a position in which they force the enemy into base, they just aren't capable of forcing the tower to be taken, and during that time they just catch up in gold/xp/etc.

Every time I "win" a 5v4 I legitimately don't feel bad for them if they were winning early. That 'result' does not automatically mean they would've won if it was 5v5. As a single/solo player, being able to control 12.5% "of the game" rather than 10% is just as unfair to the enemy team's five in every way other than the whole out-rotating/stalling factor.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
IMO it's natural to be in that situation depending on team comp. People scaling by levels on by a lot on the 4v5 team are going to be getting levels faster, if teams plan for it at 1 minute in, you so often find a hard working 4 man team able to hold their own for a very long time. It doesn't matter though if the enemy has one of like... Ziggs, Old Gragas, etc. There's just no way for a team to be able to (as you say) out rotate, and if they're in a position in which they force the enemy into base, they just aren't capable of forcing the tower to be taken, and during that time they just catch up in gold/xp/etc.

Every time I "win" a 5v4 I legitimately don't feel bad for them if they were winning early. That 'result' does not automatically mean they would've won if it was 5v5. As a single/solo player, being able to control 12.5% "of the game" rather than 10% is just as unfair to the enemy team's five in every way other than the whole out-rotating/stalling factor.
I was playing zilean :p.

But at the same time, being a man down is crazy loss in map pressure early game, how do you handle being in a 1v2 as a lone support if your opponents chose to deny you, or force it into tower and roam. Our rotations were better cause we were able to constantly find 3v2 or 4v3 fights or something, it was just that even with wins because of a combination of comp and the fact it was our adc gone we weren't able to make a dent in their structures and they could just split us to death (their comp was frankly, amazing at splitting).

Unrelated note, malz seems absolutely insane in solo queue, why isn't this champ played more?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
unfortunately our poor sona was not thresh, that said she did outplay the **** out of everyone in the lane and set up for some terrific ganks.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well Talon was a thing before.. dunno about now. I prefer to use Malzahar in the jungle though.
I don't think they should have removed his silence. Talon was always balanced around using the silence to guarantee a kill, but being vulnerable afterward due to having no dash/reliable escapes. Kass and Leblanc needed their silences removed because they could hard CC someone, kill them in that timeframe then dash away to safety. They had no weaknesses as assassins so they needed the hard CC removed. Talon's guaranteed kill with the hard CC was balanced by his lack of escape. Now he has no hard CC to guarantee a kill on someone with a dash or hard CC themselves, and unlike assassins like Zed who also lack hard CC he doesn't have a reliable escape.

I think Riot normally does a good job with balancing but I think they messed up here.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Talon is a hard case to balance because he's based around AoE assassination which is a ridiculously idiotic concept. At least Zed's AoE is relatively limited (even though it's still ****in' stupid).

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
mt2222: malz top most dmg ezpz
mt2222: banner op

It's so easy for a stranger to make you happy :p
#BannerMalzOP

I think playing him in other roles other than mid is actually good for him, haha. Not being the centre focus for the enemy team to kill just allows him those extra few seconds needed to get a second rotation, makes his ultimate a double edged sword for the enemy to cancel, etc etc. I love it actually.

I should really just man up rename myself Malzahar Only already and #yolostream it or something, with great effect.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
mt2222: malz top most dmg ezpz
mt2222: banner op

It's so easy for a stranger to make you happy :p
#BannerMalzOP

I think playing him in other roles other than mid is actually good for him, haha. Not being the centre focus for the enemy team to kill just allows him those extra few seconds needed to get a second rotation, makes his ultimate a double edged sword for the enemy to cancel, etc etc. I love it actually.

I should really just man up rename myself Malzahar Only already and #yolostream it or something, with great effect.
Well if you go top he'd just be even easier to gank than he is in mid. Then again Ryze is an easy gank and he goes top so...

Also, I know everyone will rage at me for this, but I think Q max/evolve on Kha is better than W. Q just does so much more damage. It has literally less than half the CD of W so you can do twice as many, and at the third of the mana cost of a max rank W. W also has more use with less points or no evolution because it still has a 20% slow and good AD scaling. A 30% increase on your slow is good but to me it doesn't seem worth sacrificing a lot damage and mana for it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Thing with being an easy gank top is that the enemy laner has a reason to be near you usually, the amount of time to react is small. most of the top laners I go against as Malzahar can't stand within 800 units of him, and cannot last hit near minions while I am. So generally that level of distance/respect enemy has to give me has made him surprisingly safe. At least on purple side.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
Lux support is also pretty OP. I make sure I build Meja's as my first item so I can build stacks as early as possible and then sorc boots. I always make sure to buy Frostfang as my first item, because that's what distinguishes me from building mid-lane. The following is the rune page I like to use in normals: http://i.imgur.com/nKOqN6o.jpg and I use the second page for my ranked games: http://i.imgur.com/xvpf5KZ.jpg. I try to make sure I let the adc know that we're going to be sharing CS in the bot lane, but by the time I finish building my meja's and using my ult to farm, they get the idea that I'm building mid but playing as a functional support. This is my usual final support build: http://i.imgur.com/A8QjyOh.jpg

For some reason though I always end up on a really crappy team that doesn't do well in late game so I end up losing. Usually my ADC is absolute trash and has incredibly limited effectiveness while I do way better than the enemy support.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I'm surprised that Feral Flare is still the go-to jungle item for Rengar. Hopefully someone could shed some light on this for me, because I thought Lizard would be better due to the sustain and it gives you more burst early-mid game.

Also do people still build AD Rengar in soloque or is everyone going brutaliser-tank now...

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Feral flare gives stacks on kills/assists along with attack speed needed to clear jungle faster since he's single target.
Rengar gets bonetooth stacks on kills/assists. You do the math.

And yes, depending if they get fed full ad, if behind prolly sit on cutlass for lifesteal and slow to keep chasing if bola misses or Brut for cdr.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well remember the necklace stacks no longer give AD, so you'll have comparatively low AD if you don't get Lizard.

So if you go FF do you rush cutlass or brutaliser first? Cutlass rush makes more sense with FF because you have no sustain in the jungle, but all the Worlds Rengars were going brutaliser after FF.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Rengar already has some built in sustain, and the feral flare grants a little of it too. Plus when you buy FF you don't put gold into mana regen.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Rengar already has some built in sustain, and the feral flare grants a little of it too. Plus when you buy FF you don't put gold into mana regen.
FF only heals 10 health on hit and that doesn't increase with stacks anymore, so the healing doesn't scale at all. Also correct me if I'm wrong but isn't his only natural sustain empowered W? It's pretty poor sustain because not only is it infrequent, but not using empowered Qs hurts your clear times.

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Not counting solo queue if you watched any of the worlds matches the past two weeks. Any rengar picks quite literally held onto 5 stacks for 1-4 minutes without using it once. Cause they still go FF, too busy warding and just keeping the 5 stacks incase something actually happened.

I was getting annoyed cause of how long they kept those 5 stacks. But either way, point is sometimes it's not good to just randomly spam your 5 stacks cause you never know if you have to ult and gank or what. And the W sustain is plenty enough cause lower the health, more it'll give back.

john!

Smash Hero
i just lost diamond because riot's system didn't register a few games that i played and the ranking decayed before it should have:

i just didn't think it would be such blatant bad luck. usually nobody else can see the bull**** i have to put up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Everything about that looks good except the face. Which has been the story for almost every single splash update they've done this entire month. Even udyr, too bad his model doesn't look like the art lol.

Top Bottom