• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Grand Old Thread: League of Legends!

Tmacc

Smash Lord
So, I duo'd with a 2.1k friend twice, and somehow my team let me top. I'm around 1400-1500, but my friend thinks I'm a lot better than that now and wanted to see how I would do vs ~1800-1900 players.

I won my lane pretty significantly both games, and did well the entirety of the games, both with calls and coordination with my team...boy was the other team embarrassed when they saw my elo after the games, lol...thought I was a smurf duoing with a 2k friend

Time to learn to not be bad and at 1400 anymore, I guess.

@TKbreezy

Follow me on Twitter!
NNID
TKbreezy
Leagues just not opening whatsoever? or not installing or what? I have windows 8 maybe I can help you out.. works fine for me. I'm actually growing kind of fond of windows 8.
oh it's too late already "downgraded" to 7 and I use the term downgrade sooooooo very loosely

but what would happen was I'd click it and then League of Legends logo would come up then it would say another process is running would you like to terminate it (and this is the first time I opened up league so ye) then i would get a pvp patcher kernel error and then it would just close out

works fine on 7 tho. lol

Boofy!

Smash Champion
ok then if its all taken care of.. I would have just said end the process in task manager or run it as an admin. Simple stuff but people tend to overlook it and it helps in like 90% of cases. w.e alls well that ends well

Player-3

Smash Hero
Wes do you think a garen with 6k gold can beat a vayne with 6k gold?
All im saying is that their are other character that does the same role as garen but are more efficient. Like irelia, Darius, jax, riven. All IMO are harder to peel off for the adc.

:phone:
can any character with 6k beat a vayne with 6k gold

What would be an optimal Garen build?

:038:

warmogs sunfire cape black cleaver

then build something else depending on the situation

Tmacc

Smash Lord
can any character with 6k beat a vayne with 6k gold

warmogs sunfire cape black cleaver

then build something else depending on the situation
I usually go Brut as my first purchase, which means I win every trade...finish into BC into Warmogs then Sunfire.
I'm a fan of Last Whisper next.

Who counters Garen right now? I haven't lost in 6 solo queue games with him, but I'd like to know in case the other team picks him.

Dekar173

Justice Man
TBH, with Garen's scaling/base values I don't think any normal bruisers can beat him. Trynd's the only one of my characters where I wouldn't be afraid to face off against a Garen in lane without losing but that's potentially weakening my teamfighting synergy later on and usefulness etc.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
According to Lolking.net, having a Rengar in your team means you are gonna lose xD.

Player-3

Smash Hero
rengar vs garen is really annoying because if rengar manages to pop w before you silence him your damage is reduced by SO mucuh

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Wes do you think a garen with 6k gold can beat a vayne with 6k gold?
All im saying is that their are other character that does the same role as garen but are more efficient. Like irelia, Darius, jax, riven. All IMO are harder to peel off for the adc.

yes, he would trash a vayne with 6k gold like she was absolutely nothing.

there are harder characters to peel, but in terms of their ability to straight up facetank damage, they're not in the same league as Garen. like, you're comparing him to characters who provide primarily damage in their kits, his W is flat out insane in terms of survivability and he's a safer lane choice than literally all of them (he basically can't lose a lane due to his passive, absolute worst case for Garen is a draw if you're any good).

idk, I just don't get why people like to talk about characters that they haven't seen played competently in the last 100 games like they know jack **** about their balance state.

for instance, here is a coworker of mine who's basically 2k because Garen's just strong as ****: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/34196252 76% winrate, 4.4 KDA

he's a damn good player too, but he specializes in "OP" AD assassins like Khazix and Zed, yet both of them are hovering around 56/57% winrates on a comparable number of games to the completely unplayable garen.

Okuser

Smash Ace
I played against a garen as irelia recently. It was fine at early levels then he got his HP items rolling and he was literally the most immovable thing I've ever seen.

Vyke

Smash Champion
Yeah, I think Garen is pretty strong. I lost my lane last game, but once I picked up a Warmogs (22 hp regen out of combat with just warmogs lol) I was pretty much able to get back in the game by walking all over people. Another thing people really forget is the frankly INSANE amount of CC reduction Garen gets out of just 1 point in W.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
for instance, here is a coworker of mine who's basically 2k because Garen's just strong as ****: http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/34196252 76% winrate, 4.4 KDA
So, no Infinity Edge in his recent Garen games, and no mention of it on this page. I always thought that was supposed to be an amazing item on Garen, but is it just totally outclassed by Cleaver nowadays?

edit: Shard of True Ice teammate with Garen <3

Tmacc

Smash Lord
So, no Infinity Edge in his recent Garen games, and no mention of it on this page. I always thought that was supposed to be an amazing item on Garen, but is it just totally outclassed by Cleaver nowadays?
I like cleaver because it applies stacks to so many people in team fights on Garen...really helps your team shred them quickly.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice
yes, he would trash a vayne with 6k gold like she was absolutely nothing.

there are harder characters to peel, but in terms of their ability to straight up facetank damage, they're not in the same league as Garen. like, you're comparing him to characters who provide primarily damage in their kits, his W is flat out insane in terms of survivability and he's a safer lane choice than literally all of them (he basically can't lose a lane due to his passive, absolute worst case for Garen is a draw if you're any good).

idk, I just don't get why people like to talk about characters that they haven't seen played competently in the last 100 games like they know jack **** about their balance state.

he's a damn good player too, but he specializes in "OP" AD assassins like Khazix and Zed, yet both of them are hovering around 56/57% winrates on a comparable number of games to the completely unplayable garen.
I agree with all of this except for that he can always break even in a lane because he does have a few good counters; ie: Teemo Nid etc..

But late game his presence is ridiculous with his silence, crazy tankiness, and high movespeed. Even when he builds almost all tank he still does decent damage. I the only reason hes not played as much in competitive play is because his positive lane matchups aren't seen as often, or someone else counters them harder. As well he only has synergy with so many team comps.

Hes still really good in soloq though, definitely try him out cause hes not too hard to play!

EDIT: Also I agree with what mogwai said about how people talk about champs and matchups etc when they never play them. Unless you have at least 25 good games with a champ or you're just a really good player you don't know enough about them to comment on them like you DO know something, lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Garen probably isn't seen in competitive play because KITING.

What makes him feel so much better now is really just the better itemisation choices. Garen actually has cool items he can build with Critical Strike which results in MASSIVE DAMAGE (try surviving a spin from an infinity edge / cleaver garen, ltrortlrtorltrololol)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I wish his slow removal was put back onto spin instead of Q.

Player-3

Smash Hero
shaya kiting isnt even a thing anymore its just bruisers bashing their faces into eachother; garen wins at this

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You like health? Garen likes Health

Armor sucks now? Cool, Garen likes that

Wanna damage Garen? SHIELD! REGEN! FLARLAGLALGAL

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Is it just me or does Jax win no matter what?

Like I fed and Elise hard last game.

Was 0-4 in lane.

Then at 25 mins I was just able to destroy her 1v1.

Had Triforce and BotRK.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer

Was 0-4 in lane.

Had Triforce and BotRK.
once teams learn to focus and position correctly, I feel that jax's lategame potency drops drastically. he is pretty absurd when they're bad at that though.

JC Shine Studios

Smash Apprentice

Was 0-4 in lane.

Had Triforce and BotRK.
She must have played it hella poorly, not many people can play Elise below 1600 elo.

Even then its pretty rare but hey shes not the easiest champ so go figure

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
so I think I found my main role in League.

How fitting. The topic's name is fit for this occasion of realization.

I'm officially better at jungling then any other role. Sure, I CAN ADC, and I CAN go top... My mid isnt practiced enough to trust in ranked, and my support is absolutely not capable of carrying a game yet... (I've even got my ADC fed in lane just to watch them writhe in agony in team fights because they either built shiv on ezreal or just don't provide their deeps at all to the fight...)

http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/29019377

But it looks like Vi just packs the punch I needed to make my way through duoqueue with my friends. If any of you are decent and don't mind taking an unranked player into queue with you sometime, let me know. Or even just wanna play some norms.

Add me people gawsh. (Krystedez)

Tmacc

Smash Lord
My God, why is Garen so strong? I lost lane for the first time with him last night versus a Panth with a camping jungler, but I still made plays and carried the game.

Still got that 100% win rate going with him in solo queue, and I'm approaching 10 games.

Speaking of, how do you deal with Pantheon in lane? I seem to always have problems...

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
open cloth 5 and play the lane passively until 6. pantheon's harass is too strong for garen to **** with until you can kill him by all-inning which isn't until 6. after that point, you have a huge advantage because he needs to itemize damage to perform his role in the game while you can just build straight tank and still pose a threat.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Because of y'all I tried Garen for the first time seriously and I wrecked my lane.
Guy's stupid tanky.

:038:

Top Bottom